ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Have you ever evaded a cop before on your ninja?

Not sure if this counts, today I was just riding in my local neighborhood, as I come to a interception, the light turned yellow, instead of stop I just increase the throttle, I think when I was 3/4 way through the light turned red, and I'm pretty sure I was no more than 10 mph above the speed limit.

Right after I cross it, I hear the horn from the a police car on my right side, I glanced over and saw the blue light start flashing, I saw some movement from it, but I lost tracking as I kept going.

I then open up the throttle as much as I would and I turn right at the first interception opportunity I got, it was one of little residential streets with stop signs, then I make another turn at next interception, then another until I come to a long dead end street.

I waited there and hope I lost him... and it appears that is indeed what happened, but I didn't want to take any chances, I looked at my watch and it was 5:30PM, I waited half hour there until 6 and drove home taking the small residential streets.

I just want to share this story, anyone else had evaded police before? As for me, lesson learned, next time I would stop at yellow instead of speed through.
jackliu239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Never had a reason to run from cops.
Lil_Green_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu239 View Post
I then open up the throttle as much as I would and I turn right at the first interception opportunity I got, it was one of little residential streets with stop signs, then I make another turn at next interception, then another until I come to a long dead end street.
Man, you should be an NFL player catching all those interceptions.
Lil_Green_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
Man, you should be an NFL player catching all those interceptions.
yeah I meant intersection.

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

If they have your plate #, then you're screwed. If they catch you, you're more than screwed.

It is never a good idea to run.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh dear.... First off, I would like to set the tone of the thread as a positive. You learned to not blow through a yellow above the speed limit. Although there is nothing wrong with proceeding through a yellow "with caution".

Now down to business. By evading, you turned a simple traffic ticket into something you could be jailed for. So not worth it and might want to not let that happen again. Play it smart ya know. Risk vs. Reward and I am sure you know that.

2nd order of business, why so in a hurry? You might have missed a cool car pulling up to stop or maybe your next winning lotto numbers on the side of a bus. Life is best enjoyed savored, not rushed through.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Yeah I know, that's why I said lesson learned, never run yellow again. Before I turned at the first intersection after the light, I was looking at the mirror and I was prepared to stop anytime as soon as I see the cops behind me.

I was not in a hurry, you know how it is, you see green turns to yellow, you have a split decision to made on whatever to gun for it or rapid stop, I just made a decision to go through it, and I was definitely not more than 10 miles over the speed limit.

And I'm pretty sure my license plate was not recorded, he was on my right side when he started the siren and never got a chance to look at my plate

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
If you stop for yellows you will get asspacked. Do not accelerate for yellows that was your first mistake.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
If you stop for yellows you will get asspacked. Do not accelerate for yellows that was your first mistake.
What do you mean? I have no ability to predict when green will turn yellow, when it happens right in front of you, you either slow down or accelerate right? What other options are there, unless you mean grab on the front break and low side.

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

nah... I like to keep my license so I can ride.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Stop or maintain your speed. Do not accelerate. If you need to accelerate to get into the intersection before the light turns red then you need to stop. If you are unsure I would maintain speed. If you are not accelerating, a cop is less likely to care.

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #13
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Stop or maintain your speed. Do not accelerate. If you need to accelerate to get into the intersection before the light turns red then you need to stop. If you are unsure I would maintain speed. If you are not accelerating, a cop is less likely to care.
That's good advice.

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #14
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

I admit, I was shaking afterwards. But if I saw the cop behind me before I made the turn to evade, I would have stopped right away and I think that won't count as running from the police, because I can explain to him that I didn't hear him with the helmet, or say I didn't know that was for me etc...

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

How did you not notice there was a cop car right next to you?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago. I pulled into the bank (not realizing a cop was behind me, this was about 100ft after the light), he followed me, license and reg, stay on your bike, etc etc. I only saw yellow but he said the light turned red when i was under it, i told him i didnt want to slam my breaks and get hit from the back. He said OK, you looking to upgrade from a 250? He tried selling me his GSXR 750, i said no thanks. No warning, no dont do that again, just have a nice day.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #17
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
How did you not notice there was a cop car right next to you?
No he was not parallel to me, I was going straight (vertical), he was on the other side waiting for the red light, (horizontal).

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #18
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
No he was not parallel to me, I was going straight (vertical), he was on the other side waiting for the red light, (horizontal).
Ok, then the way I see it is: He saw you accelerate through the light, so he took a right, got up next to you and gave you a flash as a warning to slow it down.

Cops don't pull people over from the right side and they can definitely keep up with a 250 if they want.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #19
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Pretty sure Mr. Officer could have caught you if he/she cared enough
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #20
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Ok, then the way I see it is: He saw you accelerate through the light, so he took a right, got up next to you and gave you a flash as a warning to slow it down.

Cops don't pull people over from the right side and they can definitely keep up with a 250 if they want.
First part is correct, he saw me accelerate through the light, but there was another small intersection about 100 yards ahead, I turned right on that one, before I did that, the cop was no where to be see on my rear view mirror, I took few more turns after that until I settled in a dead end street.

Old October 26th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #21
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Quote:
This is so true. I totaled my car because some old guy stopped at a yellow and I asspacked him with 4ft of crinkled front end.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #22
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
so again how did you not see the cop? do you not notice vehicles at intersections?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #23
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
so again how did you not see the cop? do you not notice vehicles at intersections?
When you are driving cross an intersection, with the green/yellow light in front of you, when when you get in the middle of the intersection, do you slow down to check out the cars on your right and left side to see what's going on?

What happens if the road have more than one line of traffic, are you suppose to the cars behind that?

Why part of this don't you understand.

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #24
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I have this bad habit of just stopping and letting the police **** me over since it's so easy for them to get my plate number, hilariously speeding is the only illegal thing I do and they just love me for it.

I really do need to get the **** out of this shithole that condemns me for wanting to ride at a spirited pace.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #25
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Oh dear.... First off, I would like to set the tone of the thread as a positive....

2nd order of business, why so in a hurry? You might have missed a cool car pulling up to stop or maybe your next winning lotto numbers on the side of a bus. Life is best enjoyed savored, not rushed through.

You will never get hit from behind if you're riding normally. Eyes are on your mirrors so you know what the person behind you is driving like and always stop with an exit in mind just in case the mirror view shows that the person is not slowing down. Accelerate safely off to the side. You see savvy riders do it all the time, no big deal.

Don't run yellows for the reason that idiots going the other way like to jump greens. Being t-boned would suck, trust no one.

Sounds like the cop was giving you a little tip not to do that again. Good cop.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #26
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Not trolling, but when I see threads like this I click the OP's profile and check for experience.

Seriously give it a few years before running from the cops, and quit running red lights immediately.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #27
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
What do you mean? I have no ability to predict when green will turn yellow, when it happens right in front of you, you either slow down or accelerate right? What other options are there, unless you mean grab on the front break and low side.
Look further ahead

Is it green - yes
was it green the whole time I could see it - yes
is it about to change - yes

Works for reds too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

You will never get hit from behind if you're riding normally. Eyes are on your mirrors so you know what the person behind you is driving like and always stop with an exit in mind just in case the mirror view shows that the person is not slowing down. Accelerate safely off to the side. You see savvy riders do it all the time, no big deal.

Don't run yellows for the reason that idiots going the other way like to jump greens. Being t-boned would suck, trust no one.

Sounds like the cop was giving you a little tip not to do that again. Good cop.
Filter up alongside & anyone who's not stopping has a line of cars to hit before they get near you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
This is so true. I totaled my car because some old guy stopped at a yellow and I asspacked him with 4ft of crinkled front end.
Driving too fast/not leaving a suitable gap.

Did you learn a lesson?
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #28
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I bet he wasn't even chasing you. I found myself in a similar situation earlier this year.

It was a late summer morning, the weather was perfect and the traffic was light, and I was on my way to school. I had just pulled onto the freeway and immediately over to the furthest left lane, then accelerated to about 80-85 mph (speed limit is 65). I have the 15t front sprocket on my 300 so I know the speedo is accurate. Anyway, as soon as I do this I see a black Sheriff suv sitting in the median and pointed in my direction.

Right when I'm passing him I swear I see his front tire start to pull forward. At this point I figure that he's got me and that he's about to pull me over for a little chat. I'm on my way to school though and not really in the mood to talk, so what do I do? Slow down and wait for him to pull me over... Heck no!

I immediately downshift and gun it, then cut across traffic to the furthest right lane. The whole time I was watching my mirrors waiting to see his lights flashing. I figured that when I did I could take the exit that was coming up and filter ahead of traffic if it was stopped and then just get back on the freeway.

But I never saw any lights, so I never got off the exit and just continued on my way. Anyway, I'm sure that nobody here has ever done anything similar on their bike, or in their car.

Honestly I've had my license for 4 years now and have never been pulled over, and I drive like a jacka$$. This is why I drive an all black bike, always wear my black Arai helmet with smoked shield, and black jacket. Harder to identify than someone wearing a bunch of bright gear and on a bright bike. This is also why I don't get a 600, probably wouldn't be so easy to stay out of trouble.

BTW I'm not giving advice or anything, just being honest. Don't be like me (I'm trying to learn to be more responsible on the street, but it's too much fun.)

Raises flame shield
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #29
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Running from the cops. So much that can go wrong for such little gain in the grand scheme of things.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #30
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I don't know what I would do if a cop wanted to pull me over. It would definitely depend on what illegal activity I was doing. Haha. The city I live in has a no pursuit policy so I could just tuck my plate and keep riding. But I'm smart enough to avoid illegal things in the smaller cities surrounding Memphis. In the city though, cops don't even bother the motorcyclists. Many bikes in this city don't even have license plates.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #31
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

The only time I ran from a cop was when I was 19.

I was leaving a party that the cops were about to bust up. He yelled, "stop" and me and 3 buddies took off running. Literally running, down the street. My hat flew off, my shoes flew off, and I got 4 puncture wounds in my hands when I vaulted over a chain link fence.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #32
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
My hat flew off, my shoes flew off, and I got 4 puncture wounds in my hands when I vaulted over a chain link fence.
In highschool, a party got busted up by the cops. Everyone in the backyard had the same idea of jumping the fence. Of course when you have a whole bunch of drunk, uncoordinated kids all trying to do the same thing something had to go wrong right? The fence gave way and came down along with everyone on top of it. Me and my friends just laughed. The cops went after anyone trying to make a run for it while we just casually walked out. It was good times

Now if you've ever been to a street race, just wait until someone yells out the word "cops!" and watch the chaos ensue. It's like watching the Discovery Channel when a pack of lions chase down a herd of gazelles.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #33
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Not on a ninja. I have to go through this small town when I get off the highway to get home and the cops are major dicks. I was behind a car and we were both going 35 and just entered the shopping district that drops down to 30. Blew past a cop right at the boundary line and I knew we were in trouble so I kept an eye on him in the rearview. Saw him flash on the lights and start a U-turn so I turned right into this side street, turned the lights off, and turned right into the parking lot of some store and coasted to a stop. Cop blew past and pulled over the guy in front. I came back out and just rolled past the two further down.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #34
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Pretty sure Mr. Officer could have caught you if he/she cared enough

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Yeah that cop didn't even follow you.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #36
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Cop flicked on the lights just to slow you down. He could easily pull over and bust you but was giving you a light show warning.

Way back in the stone age, when the new gen first came out, I bought my youngest son a 250. He was 15 and only had a permit when we were pulled over (for him speeding). The stupid freakin cop tells my son that if he would have blasted away he wouldn't have chased him because he wouldn't be able to catch him on the police edition Harley. The cop must have thought the 250 was a bigger bike. I told the cop we don't run from cops (we argue with them in court through a lawyer).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #37
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post

Filter up alongside & anyone who's not stopping has a line of cars to hit before they get near you

That's what I meant by having an exit but without actually filtering along side - it's illegal here so we stop off to the right or left with a large space between us and the car in front. If it looks iffy, yep, go up along side past the front car's bumper. It's worth risking the ticket.

If we stop-filter here, we'd get doored pretty quick since no one ever does it. Heck some people randomly fling their doors open at lights just to take a jacket off or get a pop from the back or whatever. No one would ever expect someone to be on their left side. Right side would be safe because people look out for bicycles.

Same safety rule when someone decides to randomly back up to change lanes. Nice space, easy exit. Works like a charm so you don't become motorcycle sandwich.

Good point re driving too fast etc if you get rear ended.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #38
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

That's what I meant by having an exit but without actually filtering along side - it's illegal here so we stop off to the right or left with a large space between us and the car in front. If it looks iffy, yep, go up along side past the front car's bumper. It's worth risking the ticket.

If we stop-filter here, we'd get doored pretty quick since no one ever does it. Heck some people randomly fling their doors open at lights just to take a jacket off or get a pop from the back or whatever. No one would ever expect someone to be on their left side. Right side would be safe because people look out for bicycles.

Same safety rule when someone decides to randomly back up to change lanes. Nice space, easy exit. Works like a charm so you don't become motorcycle sandwich.

Good point re driving too fast etc if you get rear ended.

1) I really don't get that continent's laws. It's legal everywhere else, it's safer than pulling up at the edge of a lane as the next car will occupy the bit of space you left.

OP is in Cali so he can filter/split

Hell commuting by bike & filtering through jams makes everyone's trip shorter. Read the clip notes from the study on my blog.

2)Flicking a door open in traffic is just asking to smash it into the car stopped next to you.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #39
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
When you are driving cross an intersection, with the green/yellow light in front of you, when when you get in the middle of the intersection, do you slow down to check out the cars on your right and left side to see what's going on?

What happens if the road have more than one line of traffic, are you suppose to the cars behind that?

Why part of this don't you understand.
No, when i am coming to the intersection, I scan both sides and see which vehicles are inching forward that could pose a threat to me, during that time i also notice what type of vehicle it is. I also am aware of my surroundings at all times when on a bike, you might want to gain a few more years of experience of reading traffic and identifying the dangers around you.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #40
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
you might want to gain a few more years of experience of reading traffic and identifying the dangers around you.
Before what?