ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
where should I expatriate to?

well, today was a harsh realization that I don't belong in a country with speed laws. Today I was booked for reckless driving exceeding 110mph in a 25mph back road zone (I'm surprised the officer got me that fast as it didn't feel like I was going fast rather a normal speed) passing a car in said zone with oncoming traffic.

so what countries don't enforce speed limits that are worth going to? I'm aware the isle of man does not enforce speed limits in the rural sections but that is the only country that I know of where this is the case. I have other disagreements with america than this but this is the reason why I will leave and never return. the question is, where do I go?
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Of all reasons to leave a country, that's definitely one of the better ones

Let's ask our friend Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Isle of Man looks like the only place. Sounds fitting for such a speed demon
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I figure if I sell everything I own I'll have about 12-15 grand to work on to move to the isle of man. keep a laptop/my saxophone/trumpet/acoustic guitar/clothing/mc protective gear and that cuts it down a bit but those objects mean quite a lot to me and will probably be necessary in helping me adjust to a new life in a different country. that should leave enough for me to start out in an apartment or such find a job and eventually buy a bike (likely a N250 or a supermoto for economical reasons until I am on my feet for a proper Isle of man superbike (lol))

the only thing really is leaving behind family and friends, I have so many problems with america but I was born and raised here so naturally everyone I know is here. should I do this it will be one hell of a drastic change and I'm not fully sure I'm capable of handling it though I've known that I have wanted to leave my life behind and travel somewhere else for a while it's just the people keeping me here.

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Isle of Man isn't taking new people at the moment. We'd all be jammed in like sardines if they did.

Maybe a better option would be to tour the US to find the track you love most and move beside it? Unlimited speed and safety, all in one. Buy a luxury car to make driving tolerable and an Aprilia for the track - woot!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Isle of Man isn't taking new people at the moment. We'd all be jammed in like sardines if they did.

Maybe a better option would be to tour the US to find the track you love most and move beside it? Unlimited speed and safety, all in one. Buy a luxury car to make driving tolerable and an Aprilia for the track - woot!
you're missing the part where I'm dirt poor. I also could care less about safety

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #6
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
you're missing the part where I'm dirt poor. I also could care less about safety
I gathered that last part from your other posts, thats why I recommended taking it to the track.

Dirt poor? Speeding tickets are expensive. Slow down and you'll be able to keep the money you have. Speeding belongs at the track, not worth risking other people's lives if you don't give a crap about yours.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
risking other peoples lives? the only way I risk some one else's life is if I manage to crash in just the miraculously right way at the exact right time and hit the car right where the driver or a passenger is. not really a high probability. much more likely that I would crash and hit a tree, a guardrail, or a cliffside.

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #8
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

You'll want to skip western Europe then. There's more cops on the road, Speeding rules tend to be enforced (no "off with a warning"), and it'll cost a lot more. That 110mph stunt would have meant your license and a court appointment....

Oh and tickets can follow you across borders now, too. *sigh*

I ride at a spirited pace but don't overdo it, if the license is gone it's the end of riding and that is NOT worth it.

Agree with the other posters, perhaps you should find yourself a good track. There's so many in the US compared to here...
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #9
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
risking other peoples lives? the only way I risk some one else's life is if I manage to crash in just the miraculously right way at the exact right time and hit the car right where the driver or a passenger is. not really a high probability. much more likely that I would crash and hit a tree, a guardrail, or a cliffside.
Just don't stop for the police next time, I know a lot of people who do it.

You may want to get an R6 or R1 though.

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Just don't stop for the police next time, I know a lot of people who do it.

You may want to get an R6 or R1 though.
by the time I realized he was behind me he had my tags, he caught up without sirens as I was relaxing behind a truck in the area where I start to get to town so I slow down anyway.

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm not sure about their speed limits but I keep seeing tv ads for Belize as a place where Americans can retire and live like kings. It's the only Central American nation that has English as its official language since it was a former Brithish colony. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #12
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
by the time I realized he was behind me he had my tags, he caught up without sirens as I was relaxing behind a truck in the area where I start to get to town so I slow down anyway.
Ride without a license plate, lot's of people do it.

In Florida if you get stopped for riding without a tag it's a $62 fine as long as the bike is registered (non moving violation, no points).

So if you get stopped for just riding normally then pull over, if you feel like running then do your thing.

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Ride without a license plate, lot's of people do it.

In Florida if you get stopped for riding without a tag it's a $62 fine as long as the bike is registered (non moving violation, no points).

So if you get stopped for just riding normally then pull over, if you feel like running then do your thing.
I'll have to look up the laws on that but since I use the bike to commute with I'm not sure just how feasible that is (could get towed for not having tags?) granted I would need a much faster bike to do this.

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #14
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
I'll have to look up the laws on that but since I use the bike to commute with I'm not sure just how feasible that is (could get towed for not having tags?) granted I would need a much faster bike to do this.
Don't ride +100mph on your commute but if you plan on going out for a ride where you'll be speeding just remove the tag. If your employer knows your bike that's out in the lot every single day I doubt it would be towed.

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Don't ride +100mph on your commute but if you plan on going out for a ride where you'll be speeding just remove the tag. If your employer knows your bike that's out in the lot every single day I doubt it would be towed.
well that section of the commute is back road reasonably twisty and it is the middle of the night, really it's the only part of my commute where I'm doing it it was just really bad luck and timing.

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #16
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
so what countries don't enforce speed limits that are worth going to? I'm aware the isle of man does not enforce speed limits in the rural sections but that is the only country that I know of where this is the case. I have other disagreements with america than this but this is the reason why I will leave and never return. the question is, where do I go?
How about Germany? Find yourself a stretch of the autobahn that allows unrestricted speed and you're good to go. FYI, Isle of Man is a 220 sq. mile island (comparatively NYC spans a 468 sq. mile area).

Also, just because the Isle of Man TT shows empty streets doesn't mean the roads on the island are your own personal tracks. Traffic exists and more often than not you'll probably be stuck behind cars anyway - given the size of the island.

However, let me get this straight... you want to move out for various reasons, of which speed limit is one (and seemingly most important). Once you move abroad, factoring in migration and settling-in costs, you're only going to be able to afford a supermoto or 250. Seems to me like speed limits won't be a problem at that point and the sudden cultural and social change of moving abroad might wear you down - especially when one of your big justifying reasons is gone.

Why not just stay here, sell the supersport and buy a 250, start making money and then go back to a supersport when you're able to afford trackdays?

Neither options holds the instant gratification you seem to be searching for...

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm not on a supersport, I'm on a ninja 300...

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #18
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Speedy syndrome on a 300, props to you.

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

My nephew is growing up on a back road in your home town. I'll chip in to get you of the country if it keeps you from riding like a complete ass on 25 mph roads.

Though it would probably be cheaper for us to chip in to have your bike stolen instead.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #20
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Ah.. I see. Seem to me like moving won't solve anything. Most european roads without limits are typically straight for public safety reasons -- obviously (ex: autobahn). Not much fun when you can't go much faster than 110 on a bike. Also, 110 indicated != 110 actual.

Given the fact that you're on a 300 asking for no speed limits, I'm assuming you'd like to be able to go through a town at 110 no questions asked. I seriously doubt you can find a place to allow that nor with roads architected to physically allow high speeds.

Could always try Africa or the middle east... but you'll probably end up pawning off the bike for basic needs.

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Ah.. I see. Seem to me like moving won't solve anything. Most european roads without limits are typically straight for public safety reasons (ex: autobahn). Not much fun when you can't go much faster than 110 on a bike.

Given the fact that you're on a 300 asking for no speed limits, I'm assuming you'd like to be able to go through a town at 110 no questions asked. I seriously doubt you can find a place to allow that.

Could always try Africa or the middle east...
nah I'm fine with slowing down in towns, it's only back roads where it frustrates me. though I did agree that I deserved a ticket I got for 92 in a 20 on my college campus.

all in all I should probably do the no license tag thing and just run for it til I crash and burn as that would be preferable to losing my license/getting thrown in jail.

Old October 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
well, today was a harsh realization that I don't belong in a country with speed laws. Today I was booked for reckless driving exceeding 110mph in a 25mph back road zone (I'm surprised the officer got me that fast as it didn't feel like I was going fast rather a normal speed) passing a car in said zone with oncoming traffic.

Where exactly were you done (a google map link) as I took a quick eyeball of the general area & couldn't see anywhere that would be doable at 100+ there's houses everywhere.

I'm reasonably quick, I'll give lads on thous a run for their money in the twistys & countryside, have very few problems keeping up with good pilots on 1200s & 1300s but know that it's time to behave when in built up areas. I'm the one on the smallest bike in the group & quicker than 90% of the others, my only problem is not having the point & shoot overtake capability of a 600+

As for where to go, French police will do you for acting the prick in towns, but give a bit of leniency for back road antics, you're rarely going to run into a cop on UK or Irish back roads, but 100+ mph is a court appearance & bye bye licence. You could go try your luck on the Autobahn, point for the black forest down south if you want great bike roads. Avoid Switzerland like the plague, Italy everyone drives like you so you might fit in well. Polish drivers are ****ing nuts too,
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Where exactly were you done (a google map link) as I took a quick eyeball of the general area & couldn't see anywhere that would be doable at 100+ there's houses everywhere.

I'm reasonably quick, I'll give lads on thous a run for their money in the twistys & countryside, have very few problems keeping up with good pilots on 1200s & 1300s but know that it's time to behave when in built up areas. I'm the one on the smallest bike in the group & quicker than 90% of the others, my only problem is not having the point & shoot overtake capability of a 600+

As for where to go, French police will do you for acting the prick in towns, but give a bit of leniency for back road antics, you're rarely going to run into a cop on UK or Irish back roads, but 100+ mph is a court appearance & bye bye licence. You could go try your luck on the Autobahn, point for the black forest down south if you want great bike roads. Avoid Switzerland like the plague, Italy everyone drives like you so you might fit in well. Polish drivers are ****ing nuts too,
3857 Rocks Road, Jarrettsville, MD was where I passed the car at the start of the straightaway, I saw the cop going the other way shortly after that but didn't think twice about it and stayed on the road to be stopped near the roundabout (gas station & high school are by that) after deciding to sit behind a truck rather than pass it

this all happened around 11pm at night

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #24
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

110 is a bit excessive there, 25mph is a crazy limit for that stretch tho.

11 at night makes it a bit worse IMO, your vision is pretty restricted

I'd see no problem with 75-80 certain parts of that road, where you have good views through the curves so plenty of notice of anything coming up on you, as long as it's reasonably dry & not covered in leaves.

Was it an eyeballed 110 or a radar/laser reading?
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
110 is a bit excessive there, 25mph is a crazy limit for that stretch tho.

11 at night makes it a bit worse IMO, your vision is pretty restricted

I'd see no problem with 75-80 certain parts of that road, where you have good views through the curves so plenty of notice of anything coming up on you, as long as it's reasonably dry & not covered in leaves.

Was it an eyeballed 110 or a radar/laser reading?
I believe eyeballed since he was driving the opposite direction but it was a bit obvious that I was exceeding the 25mph limit (I was topped out down that stretch) so I didn't really argue it.

Old October 28th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #26
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I realize this thread is only a day old, but shouldn't we have seen @CC Cowboy by now?
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Alternatives that worked for me to curb the street speeds;
Track Riding
Racing (at the track of course)
Drag strip (straight line speed)
Cart track (on a Sumo/Pit bike)
Dirt riding (no speed limit in da woods ya know )
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I sometimes think a simpler life in Peru as a farmer would be nice too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You and the Bostroms.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #30
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Alternatives that worked for me to curb the street speeds;
Track Riding
Racing (at the track of course)
Drag strip (straight line speed)
Cart track (on a Sumo/Pit bike)
Dirt riding (no speed limit in da woods ya know )

I had really bad speedy syndrome but going to the drag strip a couple times a month and doing a few track days helped a lot. I usually try to keep it under 100 on public highways now.

Old October 28th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #31
Snake

Is your pursuit of speed realy worth expatriating?

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #32
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Well, he did say he has a lot of problems with America.

People can and do leave for all kinds of reasons and are happy.

But beware. The grass may not really be greener over there.

To the OP, good luck. You may need it.

Just my $0.02, but this sounds an awful lot like someone thinking only of immediate concerns, not considering long-term implications. Leaving your country because you can't drive fast? That seems pretty short-sighted to me.

What's the job market look like where you're going? How welcoming are they of foreigners in general, and Americans in particular, taking jobs from their own citizens? People love it when you bring money to their country. When you move there and start taking up space, it's a different conversation. Sure, maybe you can RETIRE in Belize and live well, but retirees bring money to live on. You're not doing that. You've got a few thousand bucks, a motorcycle and you're looking for work.

How much does it cost to live? REALLY cost to live (taxes, fuel, food....)? Are the roads even up to what you want to do? Driving 120 mph won't look like so much fun if the roads are crappy and gas costs $8 a gallon.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #33
Snake

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #34
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
^This is why we need unhelpful post thumb down button in Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
My nephew is growing up on a back road in your home town. I'll chip in to get you of the country if it keeps you from riding like a complete ass on 25 mph roads.
Though it would probably be cheaper for us to chip in to have your bike stolen instead.
^ This is why we need helpful post thumbs up button in Off topic

To bad... err umm.. good thing you didn't hit a deer at those speeds

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #35
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

110 MPH ? On a 300 ? That must have been a long road ! Speed belongs on a track not public roads.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #36
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

May I offer you a better solution?

Alderney. It's the shitter island next to the one I live on.

http://www.alderney.gov.gg/article/4...ng-to-Alderney

They have speed limits, but no camera's and FIVE people in the entire police force.

Link to original page on YouTube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney

Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #37
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
May I offer you a better solution?

Alderney. It's the shitter island next to the one I live on.

http://www.alderney.gov.gg/article/4...ng-to-Alderney

They have speed limits, but no camera's and FIVE people in the entire police force.

Link to original page on YouTube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney

Looks like a safe road to go 110mph+ on, especially past those houses.

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #38
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Looks like a safe road to go 110mph+ on, especially past those houses.
Ha, I don't suggest he breaks the speed limit, but he could get away with it in Alderney.

My cousin lives there, he tore his pinky off till it was hanging from a length of skin half way down his arm by scraping a brick wall on his suzuki.

Speed limits are there for a reason people!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #39
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Ha, I don't suggest he breaks the speed limit, but he could get away with it in Alderney.

My cousin lives there, he tore his pinky off till it was hanging from a length of skin half way down his arm by scraping a brick wall on his suzuki.

Speed limits are there for a reason people!
You can only get away with it in a small town for so long until cops start to recognize the bright green ninja that frequently breaks the law by trying to evade them.

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #40
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Hmmmmm. Successful troll or overly retarded. I'll give you a 8/10
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote