ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

commuting with a 600?

ive been considering getting a cbr 600 and was wondering how well these bikes are for commuting. ill be traveling around 65mph on backroads so really there is no traffic, but the drive will be about 30miles in the morning.

so what is your experience with this?

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
you'll be fine. You'll have fun. You'll just have to get good at holding your weight with your back, abs, and knees on the tank instead of your wrists
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you can commute on anything. even *gasp* your own feet. there are many many better choices for commuting though.

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
str8t six
never enough

i understand that, i was considering the 09 ninja 650 for a more upright position, but my heart is set on getting a white 07-09 cbr600rr and wanted to know if i should consider otherwise.

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #5
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

It's fine. I commute on my ZX6r all the time.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #6
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

josh, i have a white/silver 07 cbr and a 250...i take the 250 on a 30 mile freeway commute one way...the reason i take the 250 is for economy...

but i also take the cbr and i have no problem with the riding position...if it was all backroads i would be taking it all the time and to hell with the mileage...i could go for hours on backroads because i am constantly shifting my body so there is no numb butt...and when you get there you feel so good...

30 backroad miles is a piece of cake...dew eet...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

It's so hard to find those 07 white CBRs; at least it is down here.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
why do you want a cbr

Old March 29th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #9
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Do it, but I'd keep the 250 too. You will ride it more than you think, especially when your other is an SS.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

600 on the back roads are so much fun, and I say buy it. If it was city commuting, then you're probably better off with the Ninjette.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No experience here, but some thoughts since I've been thinking about what the next bike will be.

ergos: I've put rearset adjusters and clip-ons on my Ninjette and I like the ergos better than stock. The whole "upright seating position" is, to me, a red herring. I don't find it more comfortable… I find it LESS comfortable, but that's a thread in itself. Also, I use an Axio tank bag when I commute, and rest my chest on it fairly often on the highway. This helps on long rides.

real-world practicality: I'm of a certain age and basically have one more chance to really enjoy a nice bike before the ol' body gets too stiff and the reflexes get too slow. So I'm thinking of going for a SS, since I've never had one.

Therein lies the caveat. This is all a mental exercise and not based on real-world experience. But the logic is sound.

There's a good case to be made that for a road bike, torque matters more than raw horsepower. Torque is what gives you the kick in the pants when you need to point-and-shoot in traffic. Torque is what you FEEL. Horsepower is great, but seriously… even if you flog the posted speed limit, sanity and common sense should be keeping your velocity down to sub-warp speeds.

600s make their torque and horsepower up high in the rev range. Realistically, on the street you don't go there much. Sure, we've all got those "how fast will it go" highway blast stories. But HONESTLY, does that happen very much on the street? I think not. What you really need is a bike that'll get from 45 to 75 RIGHT NOW when you ask it to… and change direction and stop just as fast. That means a lot of torque and low weight.

Using this as a premise, a near-ideal commuter bike to my mind is the Suzuki SV650S. Gobs of torque, enough horsepower to keep anyone entertained on the street if they're honest with themselves, and not massively heavy. It's also got ergos not unlike a sportbike (clip-ons). Unfortunately, they're a) discontinued, b) good enough but not all that sophisticated in the suspension department and c) styled kind of conservatively (personal taste thing).

The Ninja 650R with alterations to make it more like a sportbike (bars, mostly, maybe rearsets also) is an option, but the new one is HEAVY. Really heavy.

This leads me to the bike I'm thinking of getting next time: a GSXR750. It makes a lot of torque and plenty of power in the rev range where we live on the street (quite comparable in the midrange to the SV650, actually), is almost as small and almost as light as the Ninjette, has great suspension and a lot of power available should I want it.

Hope this helps.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Here are dyno charts for a 600, the SV650, and the GSXR750.

It's been said that a bike like the SV650 is a great all-around commuter/street bike for the reasons outlined above.

Don't pay attention to peak numbers or the year of the bike… this is just to illustrate the qualitative differences between a 600 and other bikes. Pay attention to what's happening where you spend most of your time… in the midrange. See how the 600 has to get up to 8K rpm before it breaks 40 ft-lbs of torque? The SV gets into that neighborhood way down around 4.5 to 5k. The 750 even sooner.

The chart scaling is different for these graphs, but if you look closely you'll see that the SV650 and the GSXR are in the same ballpark both torque and horsepower-wise in the rev ranges that are common in traffic. The 600 trails markedly. At 7000 rpm, the "commuter bike" SV650 makes more horsepower and more torque than the CBR. Once above 8K, of course, all bets are off. But we're talking about commuting, not the track.

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #13
str8t six
never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
josh, i have a white/silver 07 cbr and a 250...i take the 250 on a 30 mile freeway commute one way...the reason i take the 250 is for economy...

but i also take the cbr and i have no problem with the riding position...if it was all backroads i would be taking it all the time and to hell with the mileage...i could go for hours on backroads because i am constantly shifting my body so there is no numb butt...and when you get there you feel so good...

30 backroad miles is a piece of cake...dew eet...
speaking of economy, what do you get with the CBR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
It's so hard to find those 07 white CBRs; at least it is down here.
yeah they are pretty rare, there are only a couple up here for sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
why do you want a cbr
ive just always wanted one, i got the 250 just to see if i liked motorcycle riding and riding 30 mins with it pegging around 10K isnt very fun at 6am in the morning when i travel to work. plus i just love the sound of an I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
Do it, but I'd keep the 250 too. You will ride it more than you think, especially when your other is an SS.
i would, but i dont have the room for it.

a.douglas, i know a SV or ninja would probably be best, but 90% of my drive is at 60mph or higher.

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #14
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I very nearly bought the bike below ('08 SV650S) before deciding on my 650R. I loved the way it looked, drooled over the way it sounded (throaty, rumbling exhaust courtesy of Two Brothers) and really enjoyed all the low-end torque. I just wasn't comfortable on it due to my back issues. But for someone who enjoys this riding position (very reminiscent of a ZX6-R, in my opinion), this would be a fantastic commuter bike. No need to rev it much, as the power comes on really early - a characteristic of the perfect commuter & city bike. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a CBR / ZX6-R either....you can just ride it like the guys around here ride theirs.....riding at street speeds in the lower gears so they're always spinning 10,000 rpms. Speaking for myself, I prefer a bike that has the good looks of a sport bike, but doesn't require being kept boiling to make power for point & shoot riding. So...if you like this riding position, see if you can find a good used one of these and at least give it a test spin. Nothing wrong with having options!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue SV650S.jpg (137.6 KB, 4 views)
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post

a.douglas, i know a SV or ninja would probably be best, but 90% of my drive is at 60mph or higher.
Most of my commute is at 60 or higher too. I ride my ninjette hard and she likes it.

Think about it. Our weeny little bikes can crank along at 70+ all day long. I rode from Connecticut to Indianapolis for the USGP a couple of years ago and the 250 didn't break a sweat. It revved really high, sure, but it's built for that.

Maintaining 60-70 mph cruising speeds does not require a lot of horsepower.

Check those dyno charts… the SV650 makes MORE torque and MORE horsepower than a 600 at real-world midrange revs, where it matters. In other words… if you get stuck behind the mommy bus at 40 mph one day and need to pass, an SV650 will probably beat the 600 to the punch (more torque more horsepower there). The 600 would continue to accelerate strongly, of course, and leave the SV in the dust but that's not the point. You needed to pass a minivan, not reach 120 mph on a straight.

You did say you don't want to ride around at high rpm all day. A 600 has to be revved high to make a lot of power. That's the nature of the beast.

However, if the CBR600 is what you're after, then yeah, you can commute on it. Just providing a different perspective.

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

I may be a little bias but......I chose this bike because it will do everything you stated above.....except get good gas mileage lol

Torque for days yet it does not stop slowing down the faster you go. Bring it on Mr. 600 SS

Seriously though it is very comfortable, handles awesome, cheap insurance, cheaper than a new 600 SS, & has all the power you will ever want. It does need a windshield though! The wind blasts do keep me from speeding.

Maybe you should look in this category of bikes? FZ1, Z1000, CB1000R, etc.....

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #17
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

It'll be much more comfortable than commuting on one of these bad boys.

Crux by Benji Reynolds, on Flickr

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #18
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Max torque @ 480 rpms.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #19
str8t six
never enough

i hear ya on the 650 but they just dont look near as good. maybe its the undertail exhaust that gets me!

naked bikes are not for me, i like the looks of some street fighters, but i would not own one.

and there is no way im riding a bycle to work

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #20
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Due to the fact that I broke my ninjette last night I'm going to be riding my bicycle to work today. Bummer.

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
It's fine. I commute on my ZX6r all the time.
As did I and I never had any issues with doing so. Most of my 30 mile commute to school was typical four-lane divided highways and I still managed to enjoy my rides to class. You are going to be doing backroads? The SS (or even an SM) is a no-brainer commuter choice.

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Most of my commute is at 60 or higher too.
<hijack>
$#*()@&%@!!!!

I got a speeding ticket on my way to work this morning. Was in my cage, though.

</hijack>

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #23
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:
i understand that, i was considering the 09 ninja 650 for a more upright position, but my heart is set on getting a white 07-09 cbr600rr and wanted to know if i should consider otherwise.
do it! i've ridden an 08 CBR600 and to me it feels pretty damn good ergonomics wise and ofcourse power wise.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I commute on my 636 daily, over 8000 miles on it at this point in 5 months. Sure It kinda hurts your back but you get used to it honestly, shes my ride or die bitch

Quote:
<hijack>
$#*()@&%@!!!!

</hijack>
Cool Story Bro

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #25
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
ive just always wanted one, i got the 250 just to see if i liked motorcycle riding and riding 30 mins with it pegging around 10K isnt very fun at 6am in the morning when i travel to work. plus i just love the sound of an I4
so... you don't know why you want a cbr? i think WOT on the ninja is fun. maybe you're doing it wrong?

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #26
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Depends. To me, the riding position of the 250 is one of the worst qualities. Either fully upright like a standard, or fully leaned over like a SS would be fine, but the 250's halfway-in-between position is very uncomfortable to me long distance.

(of course you're only talking 30 miles. in such a short distance it really doesn't make any difference)

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #27
str8t six
never enough

I think WOT is fun on the ninja too, I do it on almost every shift!!

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #28
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

funner commuting on my gixxer, can just kick up speed very quickly since there are no places to do 100+, so just use acceleration for some fun

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
<hijack>
$#*()@&%@!!!!

</hijack>
You hooligan!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Ah see thats a big problem then. The 250 can only go 100mph and the 650 can only go 130mph

Quote:
i hear ya on the 650 but they just dont look near as good. maybe its the undertail exhaust that gets me!
Then get this

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #31
str8t six
never enough

lol somedays ill need to go 160mph incase im late for work

not srs

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If you want to get a 600, or a 1000 or whatever, then get it. But don't throw out bullshit reasons like "I want to go faster than 60mph" in order to justify it. You want a leaned over posture, great, you love the sound of an i4, awesome, a 650 won't be fast enough, wrong. A 650 is capable of more than you will ever be able to handle on the street
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:01 AM   #33
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Couple of ideas

If you like the CBR600 but not always the aggressive riding position switch the bars out to Heli Bars. I did this on my Busa and it made a world of difference on distance runs. I managed about 17,000 miles in a year traveling on the Busa and the Heli Bars made the difference.

I tested a 2012 650 Ninja at Daytona and really ,really loved the bike. Good ergos, good styling and handling and the acceleration and top end was very good for a twin! I believe this bike could be a do all..track bike, street bike, corner carver and medium distance tourer but with some mods like seat, shield and throttlemeister could be a distance bike too. Just sayin' Wardie

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #34
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Commuting on a GSXR600

I just completed a year and a half of commuting 250 miles a week on a 2006 GSXR600. I loved it! I just sold it and bought a 2008 lime green 250R. I am now in the process of modifying it to closely emulate a supersport riding position. The bottom line though is to go with what works for you.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #35
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Wow.

I don't really understand what this thread is supposed to be. You were obviously completely set on the bike you wanted coming in and had no honest interest in even considering anything else, so... what? You just want everyone to justify your decision for you with a big thumbs up and a "good choice, champ!"? Obviously it's possible to commute on a supersport. Obviously you're aware that there are a number of much better choices for a commuter bike for a number of reasons already detailed in this thread. But as all of your replies have just been "Yeah, but I want a 600rr," you also obviously had no interest or intention or getting anything else as your next bike, so why even ask? If you want one, get one. You don't need our permission.

Also, LOL at the 650 and over 60mph comment. It's so ironic when people on this forum of all places ask about getting a bigger bike then start trying to make up reasons why nothing but a supersport will be adequate
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM   #36
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Also, LOL at the 650 and over 60mph comment. It's so ironic when people on this forum of all places ask about getting a bigger bike then start trying to make up reasons why nothing but a supersport will be adequate
But if he doesn't get a 600, then he can't hit 100 mph in 10 seconds. Because obviously that is extemely important in a commuting situation.

Old March 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM   #37
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

round trip commute for me is 40 miles of backroads, lots of fun on the cbr. nice midrange pull. i also hear everyone who has an sv650 loves it.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #38
str8t six
never enough

i didnt think people were going to whine and complain for asking a dang question.

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:09 PM   #39
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If you want to get a 600, or a 1000 or whatever, then get it. But don't throw out bullshit reasons like "I want to go faster than 60mph" in order to justify it. You want a leaned over posture, great, you love the sound of an i4, awesome, a 650 won't be fast enough, wrong. A 650 is capable of more than you will ever be able to handle on the street

Your "bullshit reasons" had me laughing pretty hard. You hit the nail on the head though. I've traveled at 85 mph on the 250 before and I don't recall hitting 10k rpm. I THINK I was only at 9200 or so. I also had my front sprocket changed to 15T.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:15 PM   #40
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I think Tiff and Sean pretty much summed up this entire thread.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote