ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Making a quick turn throttle, DIY w/pics

I wanted a quick turn throttle but didn't have an R6 throttle tube, so I decided to do it myself

First I cut a piece of 1½" sch 40 PVC a little wider than the slot that the cable pulls on the tube fit into

DSCF0001.JPG

I then ground it to fit juuuuust right, not so wide as to bind and not so narrow as to let the cables fall off and get jammed

DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG

I then cut a piece out and heated it with a hair drier to form it to fit on the throttle tube where the cables attach (not glued just a pinch fit)

DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

I had to do some grinding inside the track in the housing and the cable end to make room for the extra circumference of the PVC spacer

before

DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG

and after

DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG

also had to grind the cable mounting bracket on the carbs to give the cables enough slack to not bind

before

DSCF0011.JPG

and after

DSCF0012.JPG

and reattached

DSCF0013.JPG

this takes the throttle from about 100º stock to around 80º of rotation to get to full throttle. To do this mod you do NOT have to take the throttle tube off, (I took this one off to get better pics) which can be a pain in the donkey, getting the bar end off can be all but impossible, I couldn't get this one off with an impact driver, I had to use heat from a propane torch. 1¼" or even 1" might have worked, but I had 1½" in the shop at the time.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 7th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Very nicely done and well documented, thanks. A friend of mine does something almost exactly the same for the old Kaw triples.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; July 8th, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Is it difficult to obtain an R6 throttle tube? I'm thinking about doing a quick turn throttle as well, but if R6 throttle tubes are cheap and easy to come by, I may as well just go that route.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
Is it difficult to obtain an R6 throttle tube? I'm thinking about doing a quick turn throttle as well, but if R6 throttle tubes are cheap and easy to come by, I may as well just go that route.

I think they're easy enough to come by, I just had some time to mess with it and didn't have an R6 tube. Like I said in the write up, with the spacer there is no need to remove the bar end to switch the tubes. With the R6 tube you still have to do something about the cable length and clearance inside the housing. It's also my understanding that there are two R6 tubes, one is bigger (quicker) than the other, but I don't know the years that they changed them.

Old July 8th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
Motion Pro makes some quick turn twist grips. I'm not sure if they make one for the 250.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I got a cheapie quick throttle made by Emgo. It's amazingly decent quality, too. It's going on my DT100. They make a couple different ones.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #8
sparkcycle
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
I think they're easy enough to come by, I just had some time to mess with it and didn't have an R6 tube. Like I said in the write up, with the spacer there is no need to remove the bar end to switch the tubes. With the R6 tube you still have to do something about the cable length and clearance inside the housing. It's also my understanding that there are two R6 tubes, one is bigger (quicker) than the other, but I don't know the years that they changed them.
I installed the quicker version of the R6 tube and had no issues swapping it out on my Ninja 300. I didn't even have to adjust the cable length... it just fit YMMV.
sparkcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 21st, 2017, 03:45 PM   #9
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

[IMG][/IMG]

I beveled the edges and for clearance.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #10
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 16' S1000RR, 04' CB919, CRF150/230, 07' 250R

Just did this, following 99% of it and it worked great. Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing! \

Confirmed that I did use 1" and expanded with hair dryer. Worked fantastic!

As a point of reference this is now almost exactly the same rotation from full closed to full open as my S1000RR.
cbreater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I got a cheapie quick throttle made by Emgo. It's amazingly decent quality, too. It's going on my DT100. They make a couple different ones.
I think I'm missing something here. What benefit would a quick turn twist grip be on a motorcycle with a constant velocity carburetor. You can twist yourself silly but the carb slide is only going to open as fast as the engine can ingest the fuel/air mix. That is, you don't control the throttle slide the carburetor does.
"Let's twist again like we did last summer."

Bill

Old August 24th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #12
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I think I'm missing something here. What benefit would a quick turn twist grip be on a motorcycle with a constant velocity carburetor. You can twist yourself silly but the carb slide is only going to open as fast as the engine can ingest the fuel/air mix. That is, you don't control the throttle slide the carburetor does.

Bill
I installed one so I could obtain WOT in one motion and keep my wrist in a comfortable spot. It makes banging gears a lot easier too.

Old August 24th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post

Bill
The butterflies comes first though as they determine how much air-volume flows through engine. Then the slides adjusts to that volume to maintain a constant velocity through for the metering circuits. Cause and effect, sure slides open by themselves and they do so based upon volume of air-flow the butterflies dictates. This usually occurs fairly quickly anyway, just a couple of engine-revolutions. At high-RPMs, it's pretty much instant.

So 25.5bhp max-HP requires wide-open 90-degree butterfly position. There's absolutely no way, nada, zip, zilch possibility slides will open all the way at less than that butterfly opening. Trick is how to get there easily for the rider.

What the throttle-mod does is reduces the effort, not necessarily time to get to that max butterfly opening. If you do over 1000 gear-shifts in a single race, that 100-degrees of throttle-twist, requires A LOT of energy and effort. Some people can't even do that with a single-twist and have to walk their hand over grip. Changing that to just 80-degrees makes it easier to do and less fatiguing.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
The butterflies comes first though as they determine how much air-volume flows through engine. Then the slides adjusts to that volume to maintain a constant velocity through for the metering circuits. Cause and effect, sure slides open by themselves and they do so based upon volume of air-flow the butterflies dictates. This usually occurs fairly quickly anyway, just a couple of engine-revolutions. At high-RPMs, it's pretty much instant.

So 25.5bhp max-HP requires wide-open 90-degree butterfly position. There's absolutely no way, nada, zip, zilch possibility slides will open all the way at less than that butterfly opening. Trick is how to get there easily for the rider.

What the throttle-mod does is reduces the effort, not necessarily time to get to that max butterfly opening. If you do over 1000 gear-shifts in a single race, that 100-degrees of throttle-twist, requires A LOT of energy and effort. Some people can't even do that with a single-twist and have to walk their hand over grip. Changing that to just 80-degrees makes it easier to do and less fatiguing.
Ummm, OK. Thanks.

Bill