ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old October 29th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Motorcyclist hits deer at 65mph, gets finger scratched

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S...l#.VFGxsfkggV9

Old October 29th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
how did the lottery ticket he must have bought right afterwards work out for him?

PSA: wear gear, prime example why here. Particularly in his thought process during the event "my second thought was I hope I stop tumbling soon" without gear that'd be a very different thought.

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #3
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Been there, done that.
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
how did the lottery ticket he must have bought right afterwards work out for him?
He had already used up his luck for that day!

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #5
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Damn... Yay gear!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

That's nothing.....

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Been there...done that...

I hit one on the Interstate at 70 MPH riding 2-up at night. It's a hard fall.

I was wearing full gear, and had only minor burns on my forearms from sliding. Both helmets took hits all the way from the chin bar across the shield to the top.

The worst part was when I stopped sliding and realized I was laying in the fast lane of the Interstate at night. With my head still spinning I was able to crawl towards the grass. If I didn't have a helmet on that wouldn't be a option.

My passenger (wife) had serious injuries on her knee and needed numerous stitches and rehab.

The cycle (new '87 Ninja 750 with 2000 mi) was still ride-able (barely) but was eventually totaled.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I hit one at 65mph also, on the Z1R, jumped out right in front of me, I didn't have time to do anything but think "OH SHEET!". Bike and I stayed up and I saw the deer in the mirror, spinning and sliding on the road. Went back after I collected myself for a few seconds, (and cleaned my shorts a little ), and the deer was limping away in the field, no idea if it died or not. Did no damage to the bike at all!
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The only thing that bugs me about that story is the end, "We'll have more with Nick tonight at 10."

What "more"? Deer jumps out, hits bike, gear saves rider. ATGATT

Life is bad enough, but the media fuels the drama by stretching stories beyond the breaking point just for more ratings. This story could easily have just been yet another "Way to go" YouTube video.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #10
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Deer have to be the dumbest creatures. I was riding at twilight last night and saw 3 within a few miles of each other.

Almost makes me want to start hunting and thin the heard around here.

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

^^ one could argue they were here first. In New Jersey they are running out of places to go with each new development and shopping center that goes up. I think its more lack of space the stupidity.

Not sure how it is there.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ nope they are still dumb. What makes an animal that is completely safe where it is standing suddenly decide "Hey, here comes something...Instead of standing here or running in the opposite direction I'm gonna run directly at it into it's path, yep, that makes sense and GO!!"

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #13
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I have rarely seen one that was just grazing by the side of the road just run out into traffic. at least in my own experience.

Normally that are already running from something spooking them. A hunter or another animal. its gets bad during the rutting season too.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #14
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
^^ one could argue they were here first. In New Jersey they are running out of places to go with each new development and shopping center that goes up. I think its more lack of space the stupidity.

Not sure how it is there.
I think deer are stupid but a lack of space definitely exacerbates the problem in some places. In PA the woods are plentiful enough that deer have all the space they need. Which leads to a big deer population.

I read once that PA has more riders hit deer than any other state. Not saying we need to wipe out our deer but thinning the herd might save some lives.

Old November 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The deer I hit with the cycle changed its path to intercept me, most likely because it was looking into my headlight (at night).

I don't expect animals to get out of my way. They just don't have an understanding of dangers of objects crossing their path at high speeds. And of course some predators (mostly dogs) may try to intercept and/or chase you.

Old November 6th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #16
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

I know I've read somewhere that deer populations now are higher than they have been in the natural history of north America. All their natural predators are near extinct, there's more food than they can possible eat in farm fields, and they make a pretty good living even in suburban areas where it's unsafe to hunt them.

This time of year there's a ton of deer dead on the side of the highways here in TN, it's rut season so they're all moving around and doing a lot more than just eating and minding their own business. I've driven out in the country around here since I had my license and it's really best to just stay home at dawn and dusk when they're most active if it's at all possible.

Old November 6th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #17
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
I think deer are stupid but a lack of space definitely exacerbates the problem in some places. In PA the woods are plentiful enough that deer have all the space they need. Which leads to a big deer population.

I read once that PA has more riders hit deer than any other state. Not saying we need to wipe out our deer but thinning the herd might save some lives.
That was more or less the point i was going for. we just had a motorcyclist killed when he struck a deer in the next town over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The deer I hit with the cycle changed its path to intercept me, most likely because it was looking into my headlight (at night).

I don't expect animals to get out of my way. They just don't have an understanding of dangers of objects crossing their path at high speeds. And of course some predators (mostly dogs) may try to intercept and/or chase you.
Not having that understanding is definitely part of it. But on that note i love how "we" are teaching the next generation that its ok to walk out in traffic with you nose in you phone or whatever.. The 1 to 2 ton vehicle will stop for you. At least the deer have that excuse.
But i digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
I know I've read somewhere that deer populations now are higher than they have been in the natural history of north America. All their natural predators are near extinct, there's more food than they can possible eat in farm fields, and they make a pretty good living even in suburban areas where it's unsafe to hunt them.

This time of year there's a ton of deer dead on the side of the highways here in TN, it's rut season so they're all moving around and doing a lot more than just eating and minding their own business. I've driven out in the country around here since I had my license and it's really best to just stay home at dawn and dusk when they're most active if it's at all possible.
I want to say i heard that too. Can recall where. But that is another side effect of humans.

I like deer, they are beautiful to look at and damn tasty when i get the chance at some venison. I'm certainly not opposed to thinning the population. Less deer mean less getting hit which is sad to see on a variety of levels.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old November 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I have rarely seen one that was just grazing by the side of the road just run out into traffic. at least in my own experience.
Every Mon. and Thurs. for me. I am on my way to or from TKD class (7:45pm - 9:45pm). The drive there and back is an exercise in deer avoidance. I took my bike to class a few times, decided it was not worth the risk at that time of the day/night. Here beside the state park they are exceptionally overpopulated.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
But on that note i love how "we" are teaching the next generation that its ok to walk out in traffic with you nose in you phone or whatever.. The 1 to 2 ton vehicle will stop for you. At least the deer have that excuse.
Right! It's a law in WI that as soon as a pedestrian steps off of the curb in a crosswalk you have to stop.

I've seen people just step into the street without even looking - assuming people will stop for them.

Same people expect to have equal use of the road when on a bicycle - but don't bother stopping at stop signs and ride 2-wide on small local roads with blind corners and hills that restrict your view of oncoming traffic.

Arrogant and obnoxious...

About as smart as most wild animals.

Old November 7th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #20
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Every Mon. and Thurs. for me. I am on my way to or from TKD class (7:45pm - 9:45pm). The drive there and back is an exercise in deer avoidance. I took my bike to class a few times, decided it was not worth the risk at that time of the day/night. Here beside the state park they are exceptionally overpopulated.
That sucks.

Believe it or not (and i have witnesses) a buck in the industrial complex i work in stopped, looked and waited for a car to pass then bolted across the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Same people expect to have equal use of the road when on a bicycle - but don't bother stopping at stop signs and ride 2-wide on small local roads with blind corners and hills that restrict your view of oncoming traffic.

Arrogant and obnoxious...
Oh god don't get me started on that. Not all are s but the ones that are....

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old November 7th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #21
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Everyone says the deer are "overpopulated"...

Seems like humans just keep adding nature's space to their own. We continue to populate, and blame other species for "intruding" when they "encroach" upon "our" space.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.