ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Legend
Land of Bagged Milk

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZX-6R 2012 Passion Red

My First Riding Season Complete

Well up here in Ontario Canada it is getting to cold and the forecast is mostly rain and more rain, snow will be just around the corner. Sadly it is time to store my Ninja for the next 5 months.

I bought my 2012 Ninja at the end of July so I only got 2.5 months of good riding in, the last few weeks has been mostly rain. In the short time I have put on about 3,500kms. The first 1000k seem to take forever to go through but since it was my first time riding I was just keeping in the city with the occasional highway ride for a few miles. I was lucky at 800kms to get my first nail in my rear tire, I thought about patching but decided to get a new one instead (this also cost me a week of riding time which sucked more than paying for a new tire).

I boiled my nuts off in the summer weather with my leather and full gear on 90 plus days so have really enjoyed the September/Fall riding weather. It did seem rather strange at first to put on a hoodie and install the insulation layer on my leather jacket to go riding. But it was 100 times better than the summer heat.

I am still building my confidence on the bike but I am no longer nervous when it comes to riding like I was for the first two months. I still drive extremely defensively cause I know it only takes a split second for things to go really bad real fast. I have learned that it does help to be a little more aggressive when needed on the road driving in the city. Yes you have to be very cautious but being aggressive sometimes just reminds some cagers that you are on the road with them.

So far no speeding tickets or any other traffic violations, I am not a huge speedster but I do tend to flow with the rate of traffic more on my bike than in my car.

I've had a few close calls, none of them I would say I could have avoided more than I did to not get hit. One was from a car who just passed me in the right lane, he had to slow for a car in front him and decided to come into my lane. Luckily I saw this whole thing happening and accelerated as fast as I could and got out of the way in time. Breaking would have ended with me under his car. Other close calls were people walking out in the middle of the street, first time was this idiot teenage girl texting on her phone. She didn't looked just walked across the road, missed her by a foot or two and scared the crap out of her. A few other like that but one of the best was some old dude who didn't care that the light was green and he just walked out across into traffic. Anyways maybe not close calls but close enough for scares in my books.

So this Saturday the Ninja goes into storage. I have enjoyed riding more than I ever thought I would. It's amazing the difference a few months makes. I did my rider training on July 1 and I almost quit after the first day. I was so tense and nervous that I was getting super frustrated and pissed off and I thought about not returning for the second day. I was actually dreading coming in the next day. Second day came and I like "F*$# it, time to have fun and relax". Things went much better that day and here I am today loving every minute on my Ninja.

Spring can't come soon enough!! Though I doubt I will be keeping the Ninjette for too long in the spring. I plan to upgrade to a 600 sport in May or June. Will get a used one around 2008-2010, not sure which one I will go with but right now the GSXR-600 or ZX6r are at the top of the list.

Anyways that is my little review of my first season of riding.

Ride safe all!!!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The first season is cool like that. Glad yours was good.

EDIT: nm seen you where upgrading to a 600 sport.

Enjoy, good luck and be safe next season.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Alienjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1995 CBR600F3 "The Project"

I'm a little south of you in New York and its almost time for me to hang the helmet up too. I am curious though why you want to "upgrade" so quickly. I sat on a 600SS bike, rocked it back and forth then put my hands on the handle bars and immediatly jumped off. It didn't feel right to me one bit. I'm so content with all that my 250 has to offer. I'm looking forward to lighting the bike up and doing some mods to it in the off season (hid headlight, green body lights and all the maintenance I'm sure wasn't done as she sat since 03) Of course if that's what you want to do, go for it!

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Yeah, not really sure why you bought a brand new ninjette if you were going to be upgrading so quickly. 2.5 months doesn't really seem like all that long to me but I guess everyone has their reasons. I definitely understand why you might want to move up and I personally can't wait to get one but I think I'll be keeping the 250 atleast a full year before then.

Good luck next season!

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

But it's still so early! I rode last year until late November although this fall has mostly seen days with lower than average temps so we'll see. Fall riding in Ontario is the best time I think personally. The squids have gone into hibernation and the scenery around the famous motorcycle routes are great plus you don't even break a sweat in full gear. Congrats on getting through your first season. It gets better from here.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
people buy bigger bikes because they think being scared by the bike is what feels good. (they were scared of the 250 when they started, why wouldn't they be scared of the 600?)

well, you will be scared by the power 600 at first. but it's not being scared by the bike that feels so good. you'll realize that soon enough, and then you'll miss the 250.

Old October 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #7
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

So lucky! I wish I could get a bike.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Legend
Land of Bagged Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Yeah, not really sure why you bought a brand new ninjette if you were going to be upgrading so quickly. 2.5 months doesn't really seem like all that long to me but I guess everyone has their reasons. I definitely understand why you might want to move up and I personally can't wait to get one but I think I'll be keeping the 250 atleast a full year before then.
Good luck next season!
I plan (plans could change but).... I plan to upgrade in May to June which should give me another 2-3 months of riding on the 250. So 5 to 6 months total isn't too bad LOL PLus since I was a complete noob to riding I didn't want to have worry about inheriting other people's problems on a used bike. I knew I would likely have a quick turnaround on my bike, no biggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienjoe View Post
I'm a little south of you in New York and its almost time for me to hang the helmet up too. I am curious though why you want to "upgrade" so quickly. I sat on a 600SS bike, rocked it back and forth then put my hands on the handle bars and immediatly jumped off. It didn't feel right to me one bit. I'm so content with all that my 250 has to offer. I'm looking forward to lighting the bike up and doing some mods to it in the off season (hid headlight, green body lights and all the maintenance I'm sure wasn't done as she sat since 03) Of course if that's what you want to do, go for it!
I really wanted to start on a 600 but after my riding course I knew I wasn't confident enough to jump onto one as my first bike. So I went with the Ninja 250 as my first bike and I don't regret that at all.

I might be upgrading quickly by some standards but the way I look at is that I will have some good experience under the belt. Yes, I know I have lots to learn but I have no problem taking it easy on the next bike. If I do upgrade next season it is still better than starting out on a 600 with no riding experience whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
But it's still so early! I rode last year until late November although this fall has mostly seen days with lower than average temps so we'll see. Fall riding in Ontario is the best time I think personally. The squids have gone into hibernation and the scenery around the famous motorcycle routes are great plus you don't even break a sweat in full gear. Congrats on getting through your first season. It gets better from here.
I know but I am going to be very busy in the next couple of months so not a lot of time to ride and when you know it can start snowing at anytime for me it was just time to put it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
people buy bigger bikes because they think being scared by the bike is what feels good. (they were scared of the 250 when they started, why wouldn't they be scared of the 600?)

well, you will be scared by the power 600 at first. but it's not being scared by the bike that feels so good. you'll realize that soon enough, and then you'll miss the 250.
I bought the 250 as a stepping stone to a larger bike. A lot of people just start off on a 600 or litre bike, I was going to start on a 600 but thought better of my complete lack of experience and started on a 250.

I love my 250 and I will be sad to it goes when it does. But the 250 was always just an means to an end. Perhaps a few months earlier than I originally planned.

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Any chance of keeping the 250? I don't ask because I simply would like to see more 250's on the road. I wonder this because in hindsight, so many riders wish they still had their 250 after riding their larger cc bike.

Thing is... once you get pretty good at going fast on a bigger cc bike, the experience of just throwing the lil 250 around near effortlessly and at a quick pace is somewhat infectious. There is truth in "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow". Sadly, the truth is learned through time in the saddle.

While not every rider can enjoy the luxury of owning and riding 2 bikes, it's something you might consider as an option since you are in the planning stages and reviewing your riding career as a whole.

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
What's that... It's a bird, no its a plane. No, it's the point I was trying to make!

Old October 26th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #11
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Legend, I'm in the same boat as you - got my License in May and started riding a slightly used Ninjette late August. Been enjoying every minute so far, funny thing is that I recognize almost everything in your posts applies to myself too.

Cheers up and to many more seasons with our favorite pasttime!

Chris
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #12
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Road hardly teaches you how to ride. It mostly teaches you how to not get killed in traffic. I can uderstand that as a goal, but... There really is more to it.

Enjoy the bigger bike and be safe next season!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Legend
Land of Bagged Milk

Well looks like I will be starting out this on a new bike. Found a great deal on a new 2012 ZX-6R.

i'll be sad to see my green machine go but my midlife crisis isn't gonna solve itself so I had to get myself something red, sporty and fast. Couldn't fine a cute, athletic redhead so I opted for a red ZX-6R instead.

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Indeed, mid-life crisises don't be solving themselves. I for sure know that.

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #15
Alienjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1995 CBR600F3 "The Project"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Well looks like I will be starting out this on a new bike. Found a great deal on a new 2012 ZX-6R.

i'll be sad to see my green machine go but my midlife crisis isn't gonna solve itself so I had to get myself something red, sporty and fast. Couldn't fine a cute, athletic redhead so I opted for a red ZX-6R instead.
If you do find that redhead though, send her my way. You obviously fulfilled your open spot for red sporty and fast. Lol!!

After looking back at my post just now I bought a CBR 600 F3 so I'm just as guilty as you! One season then on to the next. Oh well! Be safe and enjoy

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #16
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
. Couldn't fine a cute, athletic redhead so I opted for a red ZX-6R instead.

.... congrats on the new bike
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #17
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Enjoy your new bike and keep your 250 if you can. My wife and I owned a 250 in 2000, sold it in 2003, bought a ZX-6R in 2004, and then bought another 250 in 2011. Its still fun to jump back on the 250 and much easier to avoid speeding tickets compared to the ZX-6R. Post up some pics of your new bike when you get it. I'm partial to red bikes (I have 3).

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Legend
Land of Bagged Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Indeed, mid-life crisises don't be solving themselves. I for sure know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienjoe View Post
If you do find that redhead though, send her my way. You obviously fulfilled your open spot for red sporty and fast. Lol!!
After looking back at my post just now I bought a CBR 600 F3 so I'm just as guilty as you! One season then on to the next. Oh well! Be safe and enjoy
If I find her I am keeping her too. Maybe once I am done......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Stevo View Post
.... congrats on the new bike
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Enjoy your new bike and keep your 250 if you can. My wife and I owned a 250 in 2000, sold it in 2003, bought a ZX-6R in 2004, and then bought another 250 in 2011. Its still fun to jump back on the 250 and much easier to avoid speeding tickets compared to the ZX-6R. Post up some pics of your new bike when you get it. I'm partial to red bikes (I have 3).
I would love to keep my Ninjette but just doesn't work for me. If Ontario insurance wasn't so bad for everything I would think about it but just not worth it at this time. I will miss the 250 but I am sure once I hear the ZX6r above 12K RPM I will get over it. I will post pics once I get it.