ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
highway riding and the tuck

How much do you guys, and gals tuck when doing highway riding?

I am still fairly new to riding on the street, just clipped 1000 miles on the 250 today, got it in late September. This weekend i was doing long commuting to my weekend job which involves 90% highway for around 1hr. Generally going 70mph at least, sometime slightly less on one of the roads, and more like 80mph on the main highway.

I have determined that i am not a big fan of doing 70mph or higher with out being at least partially tucked especially on main highway dealing with turbulence from other vehicles. I can cruise comfortably at 55-60 with no tuck but again after 60 i start to get pushed around by the wind and feel more comfortable tucked in a bit.

what about you all?
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

most of the time when I am riding like that, I will lay my left arm across the tank and lean on it.

nb

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

^Lol I do the exact same thing, almost felt like I was the only one.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
.....what about you all?
My bike is naked, which helps with that, I guess.

I only need to tuck doing 80 with a strong head or cross wind (15~20 mph).

I avoid doing it because I loose rear and side visibility via my mirrors.

Do whatever makes you feel in better control of the bike and conditions around you.

I wouldn't take one hand from the handlebar
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Honestly...

When you get used to it, you will not tuck much at those speeds. Maybe make sure you don't have a knee flying out and stuff but with a strong core, it's a big non event.

Do what you need to be comfy now and adjust with time. I lean on a elbow every now and then, the tank bag has become a chest pillow before and I have kicked back and enjoyed the wind. The key is to relax and be loose.

Enjoy the ride yo!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I do what is comfortable. At high speeds, for long periods of time, in cold temperatures, that means a tuck just a bout the whole way. If I'm just heading into town to run some errands, I don't usually bother, if I'm riding to have fun, I usually don't.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

I too do the tuck/arm across the front of the tank. Really the wind doesn't bother me much at those speeds and I don't feel other vehicles turbulence at all much. But if you're doing that kind of commuting maybe its worth investigating a new windshield like double bubble.

Windshields are no reason to neglect you core while riding though.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Eldiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
I too do the tuck/arm across the front of the tank. Really the wind doesn't bother me much at those speeds and I don't feel other vehicles turbulence at all much. But if you're doing that kind of commuting maybe its worth investigating a new windshield like double bubble.

I felt like I was getting blown a little for a while. But eventually got used to it. But still, I'd like to get a double bubble eventually, just to keep the wind off!
Eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Alienjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1995 CBR600F3 "The Project"

I have said it here many times but earplugs really help raise your comfort level by blocking wind noise and allowing you to focus your attention elsewhere. I do a small tuck that redirects wind at my helmet and just cruise like that. I did my 80 mile round trip to work today and find that I hunker down naturally as my speed increases.

Old November 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Earplugs help...otherwise I have never "full tucked" even at 90-95mph. Generally my legs are against the tank (keeps them toasty, too) and I'll get lower, try to line up my helmet with the bike as much as possible. If I do anything largely noticeable, it's to accelerate into wind...and is definitely required to do so on a stock pregen. XP
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

I do a partial tuck around 60 and above. It helps mpg and now that it's colder it gives me good wind protection and keeps me warmer.

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I do a partial tuck around 60 and above. It helps mpg and now that it's colder it gives me good wind protection and keeps me warmer.
+1 on this, when I don't feel like wearing my snowboarding jacket on top of my motorcycle jacket, I tuck down or else the cold air hits my neck..brrrr!!

But on the highway, I drop my shoulders and scooch back a bit. I don't mind the turbulence at all, I even find it fun sometimes to get blown about, but it does tire me out on long rides (2-3+ hours). Then I'll do the lean on one arm on the long straights with no one near me.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #13
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

I came across a woman a couple months back wearing cast while ordering coffee at starbucks. When I asked her what happened, she described being blown off her brand new Harley by a gust of wind near Niagara Falls. She said the wind hit her in the chest hard enough to knock her off. She was not a tiny woman either.

I've laid on my tank ever since on the highway. I find it more comfortable to lay on the tank on my 600RR than to tuck in the 250R. In the 250R it was possible but didn't feel as natural because of the bar positioning.
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
most of the time when I am riding like that, I will lay my left arm across the tank and lean on it.

nb
lol, i do that as well. makes me feel like a lazy rider. =P

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #15
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I tuck down as much as I can about 55. Then I don't feel like I'm getting blown around at all, just feels a little better. This is always on my way to work in the morning without any traffic, so not concerned about needing my mirrors.

For the wind, I've been tying a bandana around my neck. Goofy looking kinda, but it helps.

I'm pretty new though, so...

Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #16
8307c4
ninjette.org newbie

Name: pascal

Motorcycle(s): 150cc Scooter

It is against safe driving regulations (and I'm not sure if it's illegal but I dare say it gives an officer probable cause {to pull someone over}) to ride in anything but a full upright position, same with having both hands on the handlebar at all times, and even if the police does nothing these are simple basics we are taught in the Motorcycle Safety Course.
While not required, it is strongly encouraged every rider take the Safety Course.

You know, it's just common sense to me, I see the guys riding around with toupee covers and t-shirts too, one slip at 50 mph, I mean you take a slide... Look down when you're doing 40 sometime and get a good idea of everything that separates you from the pavement, if you can see blacktop zipping past below you clearly that means the only thing in between you and a serious case of road rash is three feet of thin air.

You guys are talking 80-90, I figured 50-60mph with a full leather outfit might mean some kind of survival when death ought to be the least of these great warrior's worries, every desperado stunt rebel I ever spoke to always talks about "I won't even feel it."
What if it leaves you paralyzed, in case you're not familiar with paralysis that is a slow death sentence, takes 4-8 years or so.
Someone with paralysis dies because without the ability to exercise one's muscle tissue withers away, and in the end the body is incapable of sustaining its own vital organs, the way a paralized person dies ultimately the body literally collapses upon itself.

Or how about ending up a limb or so short?

No sir.
8307c4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #17
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I'm new to all this, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but I'd rather do something illegal that lets me keep control of the bike instead of sitting fully upright and constantly fighting the wind. If I have to get up to see the mirrors, like if I want to change lanes, I can pop up easily.
I would like to see the mirrors the whole time, but if it's the choice between knowing what's going on behind me and staying upright, knowing what's going on behind me won't do much good if I run off the road or into the side of another vehicle.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:59 AM   #18
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
It is against safe driving regulations (and I'm not sure if it's illegal but I dare say it gives an officer probable cause {to pull someone over}) to ride in anything but a full upright position, same with having both hands on the handlebar at all times, and even if the police does nothing these are simple basics we are taught in the Motorcycle Safety Course.
While not required, it is strongly encouraged every rider take the Safety Course.
I'm sorry, but you are just wrong, I can maintain full control of my bike in a tuck, and the lowered center of gravity makes it more stable in adverse conditions. I am safer in a tuck. BTW, cops can pull you over for anything or nothing, but riding in a tuck is not probable cause. Probable cause means they have reason to believe that you are probably doing something illegal. Ex: if you are swerving, it is probable cause, they believe you may be under the influence. If they choose to, I suppose they could ticket you for unsafe riding, but unless you act like an idiot in court you could easily have that thrown out.

As for MSF, they have some good information, but some of what they say has to be thrown out when you start riding in the real world.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Unless I'm freezing my ass off, I never tuck because it makes me feel like a poser.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
Unless I'm freezing my ass off, I never tuck because it makes me feel like a poser.
Doing something or not doing something because of how it affects other's image of you makes you a poser.

If you are safer riding upright, by all means, do so. Don't do it because you think it makes you look a certain way.

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #21
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post

Where in EP are you located? Army?

I am located On-Post near the Fred Wilson gate.

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #22
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

I never stay completely upright. I am only 5'3", but I sit all the way back and at a forward lean. When I go on the freeway, I tuck low enough that my forarm is parallel to the ground. That is usually enough for me up to about 70 mph. If, in some cases, I do open it up, I tend to tuck lower, but then I start bend my elbow so far that my elbows are below my handle bars. I tend to stay away from this stance. For this reason, I would like to get me some Woodcraft clip-ons one day.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
chin rests on top of the gas tank, butt pressed against the rear seat.

Old December 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #24
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Long runs on the motorway I'm almost flat on the tank well in the bubble. It's the most comfortable way to clock up big miles on the bike.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #25
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I live in a consistently windy area and always tuck on the freeway (70-80 mph). Even with upper body loose and grip gentle, I'm afraid the wind would force a quick dismount or lane change.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ok, question for you all...

I sit up against the tank, arms loose, head in line with the windshield. When the wind gets bad (usually at freeway speeds around 70mph), I try lowering down to lay my chest on the tank. But I always end up feeling like my back is bowed in and my neck is bent backwards. I've tried scootching back so my butt is against the rear seat, but my trunk is so short, my arms just get stretched out and my control of the bike suffers.

HOW do you guys tuck for any length of time without feeling like you need a yoga class to loosen up? I've given up, just lean a bit more forward into the wind and deal with it.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #27
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

sorry can't help you...i'm so small it's like I'm laying on my couch, pretty comfy for me
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Maybe get a tank bag and put and old sweatshirt or something in it or fill with more useful stuff. Either way, it's will raise you back up into the wind a little but will give you a base to rest on. Hopefully, the extra relaxation will cancel out the extra wind.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Danke

Old December 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #30
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Maybe get a tank bag and put and old sweatshirt or something in it or fill with more useful stuff. Either way, it's will raise you back up into the wind a little but will give you a base to rest on. Hopefully, the extra relaxation will cancel out the extra wind.
I did this yesterday on a ride through the Ozark National Forest. It was supposed to warm up to 70° yesterday, but it never happened. I used the tank bag to block the perforation on the front of my suit. This also came in very handy on my trip to Florida last year. It's a great way to relax for a few miles.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #31
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Ok, question for you all...

I sit up against the tank, arms loose, head in line with the windshield. When the wind gets bad (usually at freeway speeds around 70mph), I try lowering down to lay my chest on the tank. But I always end up feeling like my back is bowed in and my neck is bent backwards. I've tried scootching back so my butt is against the rear seat, but my trunk is so short, my arms just get stretched out and my control of the bike suffers.

HOW do you guys tuck for any length of time without feeling like you need a yoga class to loosen up? I've given up, just lean a bit more forward into the wind and deal with it.
It may or may not help but my personal trainer once gave me some weight lifting tips and to keep a proper posture while lifting you actually have to kind of squeeze your shoulder blades back/together and it can feel like you're actually bowing the back backwards a little bit, even though you're in good posture (it also can balloon your chest :P).
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #32
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
It may or may not help but my personal trainer once gave me some weight lifting tips and to keep a proper posture while lifting you actually have to kind of squeeze your shoulder blades back/together and it can feel like you're actually bowing the back backwards a little bit, even though you're in good posture (it also can balloon your chest :P).
I'll give that a shot to ease the pressure on my back. Thanks for the tip!

Old December 18th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #33
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Oh, you are so right, Yakaru. It does help. My personal trainer went overboard with it, however. This is me after just 50 miles a few weeks back. Also, notice the male pattern baldness is for some reason temporarily cured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39387PCN_HeidiBikini015148--300x300.jpg (93.4 KB, 85 views)
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote