ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
xsupedxupxgmx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE w/ ABS

New rider unsure what to do for first bike.

Hello everyone. I have spent most of my day today lurking the forums trying to answer my questions of what route to take for a first bike, so I figured I'd just make a post here (I think this is the right board on the forum?)

I have never been on a motorcycle before. There is a place near where I live however that offers both a $100 private, 1-2hr lesson for brand new riders, as well as the motorcycle safety course over a weekend. Both of which they will provide me with a helmet and bike. I plan on doing both of these before I put any more $$ into the hobby to insure it's something I enjoy.

Assuming it is something I want to continue with, what do you guys recommend I do for a first bike? So far I feel my options are the following:

a) buy a used 250 on craigslist
pros: smaller initial $ investment, so if/when I drop and I damage the bike, less of a loss for me.
cons: I could get a lemon of a deal, and in the long run has the potential to cost more

b) buy a Ninja 300 w/ ABS and slap on some frame sliders (was a close call with the cbr250r)
pros: ABS, better power, less likely to replace the bike
cons: higher initial $$ investment.

I won't be in a position to purchase a bike until around march. so I'm thinking maybe that will put me in a better position for a 300? Maybe some dealers by then looking to get rid of some 2013s as they have 2014s coming in? or maybe a few 300s on craigslist by then?

Any and all opinions would be appreciated, thanks for your time!
xsupedxupxgmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I'm sure someone will come along with much more valuable information than I can give, but I figure I'll give my

I'm still on my first bike (a 2004 Ninja 250) and I'm very happy with my decision. It's been great to learn on and was a cheap initial investment ($1300).

I've dropped it once, going about 1mph in a driveway, and although it put a few dings on her, she's used and had dings anyway, so I didn't really care. I'd have been much more upset if I dropped my beautiful new 300.

As far as buying one on craigslist, that's what I did and haven't had many problems so far. It needed a valve adjustment, air filter, oil change, carb cleaning etc. but those are all standard maintenance procedures that you'll have to do anyway, so you might as well get used to it. Even when I find something that needs fixed it's really not a big deal because its a good chance to get to know my bike, and usually isn't too expensive to do myself.

TLDR: My opinion, buy a used 250 and spend that extra money on great gear.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Buy a slightly scuffed (Not heavily dropped) bike to learn on, most riders drop it while learning. If you drop it it'll cost you less, as it's already marked, if you don't drop it you'll probably make most of your money back on it.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

get a 300. If i knew the 300 was coming i would have waited the few months and bought one myself.
more power, FI, ABS, just as good MPG's. Heavier weight calms the nerves of some people for highway riding .Totally worth it.

Not sure what private classes you're talking about...tbh id suggest just finding someone you know who might ride and ask them to teach you the very basics before going into the MSF, someone you could trust. Wasnt the case for me, but i could easily understand the MSF instructors not being able to answer each and ever question you might have, having many other people learning with you. As long as you can come to a complete stop without freaking out, shift into 2nd and 3rd gear, you should be fine.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Welcome to the forum!!

My own personal opinion if you have never been on a bike before: Used. You will drop it, you will bang it up, and you will feel like **** if your baby is brand new. Learn the skills you need, practice them until they are second nature, then upgrade to new with all the bells and whistles.

And from what I saw with the 250 when the 300 rolled out, prices did not drop at all. So the new model year may not push the old stock down that much. But I'm not a dealer, so I can be very wrong.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sup Nathan, first bike aye?

Hop in your cage and go shopping at the dealers. Sit on as many as you can to get a feel for what you like and what you don't. Maybe the 300 is to tall for you and you have the lower it, maybe a 250 is to cramped up and you need rearsets and clipons to lengthen the ergos.

Hard to go wrong with any of the major brands of smaller cc bikes though really. For your first bike though, used is the way to go imho. Nothing really wrong with a new one if that is what you really want. Whatever you choose, I will still be your friend... unless you get a gsxr. lol jk
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think there's a significant difference in power between the 300 and 250. If you're worried that you might want to get a bigger bike after a few months on a 250, I don't think that feeling would be different if you had a 300. You're likely to "outgrow" the 300 at the same pace as the 250. IMO, new riders should look at price more than anything else. While I haven't dropped my bike yet (knock on wood!), most new riders are likely to drop their first bike. The question is, would you rather drop 1.) a bike that you got on Craigslist for $2000 or 2.) a brand new bike that cost you $6000
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Motorcycling is all about risk mitigation. Either way has risk and they are already identified. How can you mitigate?
1. Ask the seller to bring a potential 250 to a mechanic for an inspection.
2. Or train for a long time with the bike provided by the private lessons to reduce the risk of damage to the 300.

The thing is, you may still get a lemon if the mechanic is a nitwit. You may still end up dropping the 300 doing something in a parking lot. I think the 250 route is more conservative. Your choice.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Your right to take the classes before ya dump to much money in. Hopefully you can get a 300 by the time your ready to buy, I rode a 250 with a few mods, wouldn't trade my stock 300 for it.
Welcome to the forum!

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Name: Ziva

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Special Edition

You'd be amazed at what you can find used. I bought a 2012 Ninja 250r with 3800 miles on it for $3100 from a local dealership. The only damage was cosmetic to the sides from being lightly dropped on each side by the original owner (and to me since my bike is black and red, it adds to his character). So keep your eyes out and see what your options are.
Obsidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

In my opinion, I would go with a used 250 on craigslist.
That is what I did, and I love it, and dont regret it at all.
Like others said, you most likely will drop/lay down your bike at some point, the majority of people do with their first bike.
So it would make more sense to get a used 250 that you don't have as much money in.

When it comes time to actually buying the bike, do a lot of looking on craigslist, in counties all around you (more than one if possible), and you will most likely find some good deals.

As for maintenance, you would have to do it on a 300 as much as you would on a 250, so that is a moot point.

I would definitely take the MSF course, absolutely definitely YES. As for the other thing, that is up to you whether you want to spend the money. I took the MSF course as my FIRST time on a motorcycle, and fell in love instantly.
Try and find people around you that ride, that you can ride with and learn a lot from.

Good luck, and ride safe!

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
xsupedxupxgmx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE w/ ABS

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be in no rush to buy the bike by a certain date, so when I have the money to burn I'll start keeping an eye out on craigslist/at dealers for a good 250...! Any particular year that is known for being more reliable or anything like that? Most of my research up to this point has been more geared towards the 300..
xsupedxupxgmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM   #13
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Well. I'll give a couple ideas dependent on your situation.

Do you make decent dough? If cash flow isn't a serious problem and when you are learning you aren't throwing the bike on the ground every 10 minutes, get a nice 300 or 250. Maybe from a dealership or look for a good Craigslist option.

If you're strapped for cash and or you like the size and nature of a 250 I have a two part piece of advice.

Get anything you can. Ninja 500, gs500, any 250, or sv650, cbr250 or ninja 650. Those can all be had for under $3500. Just get something to cut your teeth on. If you hate motorcycling or you crash the bike you won't be an indentured servant to a financial institution or something. Another thing that only ninja 250/300 ownership can teach you is if you're going to keep the bike long term or ditch it for another machine. It might be 3 months or 3 years before you decide you want something else.

If you love having a little bike around this way you could sell the cheap bike and buy a cool 250 or 300 of your dreams. Lol do people dream about these bikes?

Motorcycling may not be for you or you may realize that the 250 blows chunks at going off road, going 150 mph, or touring across the country with your significant other.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

if youre rich: go with new 300, why the hell not!
if youre still in college and have tight budget like me: craiglist 250 it is!
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #15
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Like most, I think you should go for a used 250. While yes, eventually you may want a 300 (or something bigger), a slightly scratched or scuffed 250 will be cheaper. Furthermore, you can turn around in 6 months, a year or whatever it is, and sell it at little or no loss. All you'll spend on it is gas and maintenance like you would with any bike.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #16
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsupedxupxgmx View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be in no rush to buy the bike by a certain date, so when I have the money to burn I'll start keeping an eye out on craigslist/at dealers for a good 250...! Any particular year that is known for being more reliable or anything like that? Most of my research up to this point has been more geared towards the 300..
When it comes to buying used on Craigslist, you're really in the best situation possible by not having to buy one right away. You can sit back and really wait for a GREAT deal. Whereas I wanted to buy one ASAP, so I couldn't really wait around for that awesome deal.

For used 250s, I'd look for anything 2008 and later. They look WAY more modern than the earlier models.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsupedxupxgmx View Post
As far as I know, I have not heard of any particular problems with the new gens or pregens. The good news new gens '08-'12 and pregens '87-'07 didn't change so plenty of parts are available should something go wrong.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
When it comes to buying used on Craigslist, you're really in the best situation possible by not having to buy one right away. You can sit back and really wait for a GREAT deal. Whereas I wanted to buy one ASAP, so I couldn't really wait around for that awesome deal.

For used 250s, I'd look for anything 2008 and later. They look WAY more modern than the earlier models.
If you don't have the funds right away & don't mind waiting then remember that prices generally go down in winter/off season.

Learning to ride in less than ideal conditions will make you a better rider too.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote