ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Grrrr! Stupid Bikers!

Sunday afternoon I hear a Harley coming from within our neighborhood. I was cleaning/lubing my chain and looked up. The rider is wearing a baseball cap, short sleeve shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. I thought "What a dummy!" and then I saw a little girl (maybe 5 years old) passenger with no helmet. Made me sick to my stomach! When he waved, I just shook my head and looked away!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

it makes me sick to see that too!

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

in my experience...harley riders dont wear any gear...i think it is just part of the culture
Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

People like that p#ss me off!!!!
There's a guy around the corner from me who rides around like that when the cops aren't looking .... JERKS !!!
I would never ever even consider letting my son get on my bike with me unless he has his gear on!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #6
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I feel so bad for the little girl. Talk about child abuse.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
I feel so bad for the little girl. Talk about child abuse.
Good point , that should be considered child abuse
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

in many states there are no laws for gear...unfortunatly...none here in indy...i watched a guy and his budy doing burnouts at a stop light the other day and then one of them almost bit it on a stoppie at the next light...i dont get it...i mean...yes i think being on a bike is cool...and i feel cool riding mine...but why do people think gear is so uncool? is it cause when they show off they want people to know who it is?...well they will sure know who it is when they are scraped off the road

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

In a lot of states, he could be charged with Cruelty to Children.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #10
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
in many states there are no loaws for gear...unfortunatly...none here in indy...i watched a guy and his budy doing burnouts at a stop light the other day and then one of them almost bit it on a stoppie at the next light...i dont get it...i mean...yes i think being on a bike is cool...and i feel cool riding mine...but why do people think gear is so uncool? is it cause when they show off they want people to know who it is?...well they will sure know who it is when they are scraped off the road
Squids will never understand. I used to feel sorry for them and their passengers but now I just shake my head and laugh. Bugs in your teeth are such a turn on!!!

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

I KNOW!!!!!...at night when i ride with my visor up i cant stand it! i get hit with bugs all and it is terrible...haha i cant imagine on the highway

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #12
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I never understood what was wrong with gear. I mean, you look badass in all that protection!
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #13
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
I never understood what was wrong with gear. I mean, you look badass in all that protection!
I've known a lot of people who have gone down at various speeds, both street and the track, and have walked away without a scratch because of the gear they wear - now how many squids out there can claim the same stat? Don't worry, I'll wait!

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

A book I have (and I have actually said all this in another post on here somewhere) Harley riders and scooter riders are generally the worst riders for not wearing the gear. Sports bike riders (such as us) are the best at wearing all the gear. Granted that there are still squids out there that go against this.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #15
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Same thing here in Australia, many Harley riders don't wear gear at all. I've seen a few with like a leather vest with their 'gang colours' on it, and a bandanna to match. Seriously, they look all tough and mean, but when they fall off without any proper gear on, they'll be crying like little girls.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #16
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I always thought there were helmet laws for persons under 18 on motorcycles in states where there are no helmet laws for adults. Is this not true? I know it is in Arizona.

The only time I lax a little on gear is on the Spyder and I know that's not good either.

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #17
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Here in NM it's illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you're under 18. I see a ton of idiots not wearing gear here either though. They're part of the reason that people are so deathly afraid of letting people get motorcycles. When you hear about a fatal bike crash on the news or something, 19 times out of 20 the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. It's just stupid. But people do it anyway. Almost makes you wonder why it's still legal to ride without gear at all doesn't it?

Old April 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #18
DirtyDave
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Special Edition

Think of it as natural selection...nature's way of thinning out the stupid people.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Having read this gear, helmet, idiot discussion I have to give my two cents. Most of the time I ride with gear, sometimes I don't. I make sure my kids always ride with gear. I live in a motorcycle town in which most bikes are Harleys but also has many sport bike riders. I see each group ride with and without gear (including helmets). Out of all the riders I see, the sport bike riders are the more dangerous. They ride faster, louder, do more erratic maneuvers, and give motorcyclists more of a bad name. There are Harley riders than do stupid things but Harley guys seem to be older, more mature, and less willing to crash or get a ticket from the coppers. Sport bike riders seem to be younger, fearless, and not as seasoned a rider.

I'm not down on sport bikers, since I fall into both catagories (Harley and sportbikers), but I always hear about Harley guys being the stupid, stumblebums that are reckless lawbreakers when there are members of both groups that give us bikers a bad name.

I, myself, the closest thing to perfection, has been guilty of the rare infraction of stupidity. I'm sure each of us has done something that another driver or rider has shaken their head and said "what an idiot that guy (or girl) is".

If you see someone doing something stupid just remember that we are all under extreme scrutiny from the non-motorcycle world. Learn from the experience and you will become a better rider.

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #20
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
If you see someone doing something stupid just remember that we are all under extreme scrutiny from the non-motorcycle world. Learn from the experience and you will become a better rider.
Excellent post!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #21
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

lol well based on some of the bikes I've seen here, most of those harleys can't even tip over - their luggage and crash bars would hold up the bike. That and they only go slow in straight lines = less danger.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #22
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

In Canada they are trying to pass a law that children under 14 years old can''t be a passenger on a bike... Now I have 2 girls that have both been passengers on my husbands bike, age 11 and 9. Both have to be dressed in full gear to hop on, gloves, armour jacket, pants, long boots and Snell/Dot approved full visor helmet. Anything less is neglectful and while I don't support taking the right away from bikers to make the decision to have their children ride with them, I also see the point of invoking this law because not everyone acts in the best interest of their children.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

No gear required here in Indiana.

About a year ago I was driving my Civic and ended up side by side with a father/son on a HD. No gear for either, and the guy tried to race me! My civ is a total ricer but it is actually quick. Before I even noticed they were there I had given it too much gas... cause I always do haha, but as soon as he heard me get on it, he did too. Definitely noticed the lack of responsibility even before I had a bike.

Old April 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #24
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #25
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

you can if you stick their head in it...haha

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The Adult rider should not be teaching their child bad habits. Tha same as not wearing a seat belt while a child is riding with you.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #27
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
I always thought there were helmet laws for persons under 18 on motorcycles in states where there are no helmet laws for adults.
RI requires helmets for anyone under 18 and for anyone with less than a year on their license. Other than that, there's no gear requirement at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel View Post
The Adult rider should not be teaching their child bad habits. Tha same as not wearing a seat belt while a child is riding with you.
+1. "Do as I say, not as I do" doesn't really seem to work on kids, does it?
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICUNinja View Post
In Canada they are trying to pass a law that children under 14 years old can''t be a passenger on a bike... Now I have 2 girls that have both been passengers on my husbands bike, age 11 and 9. Both have to be dressed in full gear to hop on, gloves, armour jacket, pants, long boots and Snell/Dot approved full visor helmet. Anything less is neglectful and while I don't support taking the right away from bikers to make the decision to have their children ride with them, I also see the point of invoking this law because not everyone acts in the best interest of their children.
I'm either lucky I don't live in Canada, or lucky my kids are on their own bikes, or my kids are lucky they grew up in an all male family. I had them on the front or back of the bike from 2 years old. Their own bikes at 3 years old and so far we have all made it safely up until now.

I'd probably be labeled dangerous in today's world.

How about a drunk rider at 2(notice the glasses, dead give away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel View Post
You should actually wear a seat belt even when not with your child in the car. This way your child has a better chance of you living through an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
RI requires helmets for anyone under 18 and for anyone with less than a year on their license. Other than that, there's no gear requirement at all.
Actually, RI has the strangest helmet law. The rider doesn't have to wear a helmet but the passenger does. I lived in East Greenwich for 10 years and never understood the helmet law.

Old April 10th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #29
KnoxNinja
BRKDWN.

Name: Jimi

Motorcycle(s): 89 GPX250R, 89 GPZ500S

There was a guy down the street teaching his wife to ride his cruiser around my neighborhood... with no helmet, of course. She had obviously never ridden before. Now really... what better time to have a helmet on than when you are just learning to keep the thing from tipping over? I looked down the street at the guy and tapped my head as she went past, but I don't think either of them got the message.
KnoxNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #30
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

in hawaii you cannot have a passenger under the age of 7. also, under 18, a helmet is required.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #31
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Give me a Arai helmet with Dainese leathers /w CE rated armor any day of the week over a bad case of road rash or worse.
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM   #32
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I live in New Mexico and down here there is a law for people under 18 to wear helmets......in fact......here those are the only ones you ever see wearing helmets. Its pretty sad.

The first time I take my little one for a ride we will both be wearing FULL gear......road rash doesn't go well with me.....let alone a child.
drumm3r9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #33
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynownd View Post
No gear required here in Indiana.
Most states that allow riders to not wear helmets, do have some kind of requirment for young riders. In Indiana, riders under 17 must wear a helmet.

Here is a website which lists each state and their respective helmet requirments. Note that some states are listed as having no law.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/helmetusecurrent.aspx
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #34
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Sunday afternoon I hear a Harley coming from within our neighborhood. I was cleaning/lubing my chain and looked up. The rider is wearing a baseball cap, short sleeve shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. I thought "What a dummy!" and then I saw a little girl (maybe 5 years old) passenger with no helmet. Made me sick to my stomach! When he waved, I just shook my head and looked away!
If he was someone that lived in my neighborhood, I would make a point to try and talk with him to remind him that your state does require helmets, and even if he chooses not to abide by this law, he should not be allowing children to ride without a helmet. If it was someone that I did not know, I would call 911 to report it.

I ride with my daughter on the back every now and then when I take her to school. She's 8 now and we've been doing it for a couple of years. I wouldn't even think of taking her out without a helmet.

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #35
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
in hawaii you cannot have a passenger under the age of 7.
I think Hawaii and Washington are the only states which have this type of restriction. Not sure I agree with it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #36
CrzyFstMnM
ninjette.org member

Name: Manoj

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE

So this is what my situation.

I live in PHX where today it was like 112 outside. I would love to and I would want to wear full gear all the time but i seriously can't. I have tried but it is really bad wearing gloves and jacket in this hand but I try to wear good shoes and ALWAYS i wear a helmet.

Next thing i do is whenever I have a passenger and for whatever reason I don't have my second helmet on me I always give the passenger the helmet. It is ridiculous how some guys wear full gear and then their gf's are sitting on the back with nothing on (no gear ha not no clothes)
CrzyFstMnM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #37
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyFstMnM View Post
So this is what my situation.

I live in PHX where today it was like 112 outside. I would love to and I would want to wear full gear all the time but i seriously can't. I have tried but it is really bad wearing gloves and jacket in this hand but I try to wear good shoes and ALWAYS i wear a helmet.
Manoj - Please check this out:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48129

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #38
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I think most buy HD because they think it's fine to ride w/o gear. If gears are required for all riders I bet they would go out and buy a ss instead of a hd.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #39
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i don't see the issue here....the guy is a brainless moron and he is teaching his child how to be just like daddy. Sad for the kid, but parents have the right to teach their children whatever they want...if it is "how to be stupid"
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #40
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

If you hate that Harley guy, you're really not gonna like this dude and his family...