ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 5th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Not happy with my Apex brake lines; I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else, either.

I removed my Apex braided stainless steel brake lines today that I bought through a group buy here on the forum after a little more than a year and a half on the bike; let me show/tell you why and why I think it's probably a good idea for members to avoid this product.

Just a few months after first installing the lines, I noticed the fittings and banjo bolts were beginning to rust. My bike was stored outside under a waterproof cover for about a year and has been ridden in the rain, but I don't think they should have started rusting like they did as soon as they did, especially when I make sure to dry the bike off after it gets wet. Keep in mind when looking at the pictures that I started regularly rubbing them down with WD-40 shortly after I noticed them starting to rust and they still looked that bad when I took them off.

The second problem, and the one that I find much more serious, is that the coating over the stainless has become extremely brittle and has even begun to crack and flake off the lines. I know that this coating is just there to protect the braiding, but the fact that it has failed after less than two years doesn't give me much hope for the quality of the materials underneath. After I removed the lines, I found them to be very stiff, to the point where it was actually somewhat difficult to bend them. That doesn't seem like a particularly good property for something that's expected to bend and flex with the suspension of the motorcycle.

I brought up the rusting issue with Apex as soon as I noticed it, and they did offer to replace the lines, but not with an identical product (I had blue lines with black fittings and they would only offer clear with stainless fittings). I decided to just deal with the rust issue, but I didn't feel safe with these brake lines on my motorcycle after I noticed the issues with the outer coating.

Anyhow, that is my experience with Apex Brakes' braided stainless lines. I hope the others that bought lines in the different group buys have had better luck (looking around some of the other threads, it looks like I may not be alone in these issues), but I would personally recommend members look elsewhere for their brake line needs. If you're looking for a quality product, I'd go with Galfer or Spiegler (just replaced my Apex lines with Galfer lines), or if you're looking to move to stainless lines on the cheap, just go with a cheap eBay pair; you probably wouldn't be much worse off quality-wise and you'll save about half the price over the Apex lines.

Pictures of lines and fittings attached at the end (may be a little hard to see the cracking in all but the last photo, but both lines show cracks along their entire lengths.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160305_151327.jpg (75.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160305_151310.jpg (90.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160305_151302.jpg (84.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160305_151250.jpg (69.8 KB, 13 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh snap! Aint that a bummer...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #3
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Wow, that sux. You can't go wrong with Galfer ss lines.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I have the same brake lines on my bike and agree with BM's assessment.

After a year they were at the same condition as in the pictures above.
After two, the plastic covering crumbled apart when handled, leaving behind only the braided lines.

The steel braid itself is fine. However, the rusted fittings and low quality plastic really are disconcerting.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Go galfer or go home.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
........Just a few months after first installing the lines, I noticed the fittings and banjo bolts were beginning to rust. My bike was stored outside under a waterproof cover for about a year and has been ridden in the rain, but I don't think they should have started rusting like they did as soon as they did, especially when I make sure to dry the bike off after it gets wet. Keep in mind when looking at the pictures that I started regularly rubbing them down with WD-40 shortly after I noticed them starting to rust and they still looked that bad when I took them off........
Not trying to say that this brand is good or bad, just trying to explain the process that has been happening.

This rust seems to be related to the copper washers, rather than to exposure to rain.
Notice how happy and shinning the copper washers look, they should turn green when exposed to rain long enough.
This is called galvanic corrosion:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Copper and bronze are terrible neighbors to many other metals.
The banjos are made of galvanized steel, which means steel covered with zinc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization

Zinc is commonly used as a sacrificial anode in situations where copper can damage steel.
In this case, the covering of the banjos is doing its job.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #7
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Thanks hernan, always on point with good info.

No complaints from my galfers. I noticed from your pictures... the end of the line with the bend coming off on the front line.. I tried that same routing as instructed, and didn't like the sharp bend from using the bent-fitting-end on the caliper. I flipped them 180* -- bent fitting coming off the front master cylinder, straight fitting coming up off the caliper, and they were much more a straight run between the MC and caliper. Might want to try that. I also didn't 'capture' the front line in the OEM routing brackets. They put too steep of a bend on the front line.

Old March 5th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #8
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Oh no! I have a set of these in a box I was going to put on sometime this month. I guess even if they dont last long, they will be better than my 7 year old spongy cables for a little while.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Not trying to say that this brand is good or bad, just trying to explain the process that has been happening.

This rust seems to be related to the copper washers, rather than to exposure to rain.
Notice how happy and shinning the copper washers look, they should turn green when exposed to rain long enough.
This is called galvanic corrosion:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Copper and bronze are terrible neighbors to many other metals.
The banjos are made of galvanized steel, which means steel covered with zinc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanization

Zinc is commonly used as a sacrificial anode in situations where copper can damage steel.
In this case, the covering of the banjos is doing its job.
I'm not sure the banjo bolts and fittings were galvanized. They didn't look or feel like galvanized steel when they were new, and Apex doesn't say anything about the materials of the fittings. Either way, I know that copper is less likely to cause galvanic corrosion than other metals that would be used (no aluminum in my PC's water cooling loop!), so I can't imagine it should end up this bad. The stock bolts and fittings didn't look nearly this bad (I still have them), and they were on the bike longer.

Old March 6th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #10
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisthem488 View Post
Oh no! I have a set of these in a box I was going to put on sometime this month. I guess even if they dont last long, they will be better than my 7 year old spongy cables for a little while.
The Apex lines were great for a little while. If you've already got them, throw them on and start saving for a new set down the line. Just keep an eye on them and replace them when you feel the need (I guess kind of like any other brake line.)

Old March 6th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #11
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

And this is why I use Hel Performance braided lines. The best or nothing.

Old March 6th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
On my 500 I have Spiegler line

http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes/cy...line-kits.html

On my Ninja 250 i went with Venhill

http://www.venhillusa.com/products.html

Also have stainless steel fittings as well.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #13
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I'm guessing your issue is why they were going to give you lines with stainless fittings.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
(I had blue lines with black fittings and they would only offer clear with stainless fittings)
Quote:
I'm not sure the banjo bolts and fittings were galvanized. They didn't look or feel like galvanized steel when they were new, and Apex doesn't say anything about the materials of the fittings. Either way, I know that copper is less likely to cause galvanic corrosion than other metals that would be used (no aluminum in my PC's water cooling loop!), so I can't imagine it should end up this bad. The stock bolts and fittings didn't look nearly this bad (I still have them), and they were on the bike longer.
Steel banjo bolt & lines with anodised Alu fittings I'm guessing.

It's the same principle Motofool has suggested, the Alu corrodes the steel, rather than copper washers corroding zinc.

The stock lines have steel fittings.

I don't know Galfer, HEL are all steel and never caused a problem on mine.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #15
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I covered mine in techflex, so the pvc covering the lines has not become brittle and cracked, while the ends of the lines have a small amount of normal corrosion they have not turned into rust, just the normal tarnish you expect when leaving a bike out in the elements 365 a year. They have performed exactly as they were expected to do, and i'm quite happy with the results.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #16
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
I covered mine in techflex, so the pvc covering the lines has not become brittle and cracked, while the ends of the lines have a small amount of normal corrosion they have not turned into rust, just the normal tarnish you expect when leaving a bike out in the elements 365 a year. They have performed exactly as they were expected to do, and i'm quite happy with the results.
Just curious, what techflex product have you used? I'm looking into UV resistant coverings for wiring and hoses atm.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2016, 01:01 AM   #17
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230521716633...S:1120&vxp=mtr

Looks good and lasts a long time.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote