ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Jesper Hedegaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesper

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, 2010

Changing levers - any traps in that ?

Have bought a set of clutch and brake levers - multi-adjustable AND green/black - and want to swap them ASAP !
But previous experence with same job on a BMW leads me to caution; are there any small springs or the like that will go missing whe I dismount the old levers ??
Spend a good hour last time looking all over the sidewalk for a small spring that went a-wall whe I took the lever of.
Never found it but learned that the lecver worked fine without....but I may not be so lucky this time
Jesper Hedegaard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #2
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post
Have bought a set of clutch and brake levers - multi-adjustable AND green/black - and want to swap them ASAP !
But previous experence with same job on a BMW leads me to caution; are there any small springs or the like that will go missing whe I dismount the old levers ??
Spend a good hour last time looking all over the sidewalk for a small spring that went a-wall whe I took the lever of.
Never found it but learned that the lecver worked fine without....but I may not be so lucky this time
No it's as easy as removing the pivot bolt and swapping the brake lever.
The clutch lever you remove pivot bolt, unhook clutch cable from lever, swap, and reverse process. Takes 10 minutes to change both levers, with no hidden tiny parts.
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #3
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I literally just did this a few days ago. The only thing you need to be aware of is the little button on the clutch switch, try not to bend or break it, its really easy to do... LOL, not that I would know anything about that
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The brake lever is completely isolated from the hydraulic system and the clutch lever is a cable, so they're easy to swap. Be careful of the safety switch on the clutch - it's not extremely difficult to break the pin if you're not paying attention.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
And don't strip out the clutch perch bolt, the threads in the perch are sooooo soft.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post

That's the Jesus Spring. So named because that's what you say when it surprises you by launching itself out of the mechanism you're disassembling.

Closely related to the Dammit Screw, which is a tiny item precisely positioned to fall into an inaccessible recess if you drop it.

Same family as the SonofaB... Bracket, which is the sharp-edged, unfinished piece of metal strategically located so that it rips your flesh when trying to access either a Jesus Spring or Dammit Screw.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

^ best thing I've read all week.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
There's this other object I like to call the VeriThing (tm).

It's that thing you didn't know you were looking for, but when you spot it in the store, you go "Ah! The very thing!"

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Jesper Hedegaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesper

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, 2010

OK, thanks - I get it: operation will have to wait 'till tomorrow as it's dark here now.
Jesus-spring and dammit-screws: sounds like U had a Citroen 2 CV. Wonderful weird car to drive, even though the almost lack of engine.
But the bay where they could have placed a real engine is full of screws, who's sharp ends sticks out on the back of whatever they are mounted on.
Guess the sole purpose is to cut up any idiot, who tries to repair anything on that engine ;O)

Oh - the levers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (59.1 KB, 1 views)
Jesper Hedegaard is offline   Reply With Quote