ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

My wife is awesome!

Hello all! I've been lurking these forums for about a week or two now, and figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself.

I'm 28, my wife turns 25 next week We started dating back in April '01, got married in October '06. From the day we met, she's known that I've always loved motorcycles (my fave color back then was Kawasaki Green, no joke. It's red now though), and always wanted to own one. She, on the other hand, never wanted me to have one. Not anti-bike, mind you, but just scared of the other people on the road, and understandably so. So that was that for the longest time. I never once brought it up or pestered her about it at all because I knew how she felt.

Well that all changed a month or two ago. A coworker of mine bought a '96 Honda Shadow (with his g/f's permission). That's cool and all, I was jealous but hey whatever, life goes on. Then another one of my coworkers bought himself a 2000 R6. Oh man, that thing looked awesome, and man did I want one. But once again, I knew how my wife felt about them and just let it be.

Then my wife was on Facebook one night and saw their pictures of their new bikes. She turned to me and asked if I was jealous, and if I really wanted one. I hesitated, knowing how she felt, and said I didn't want to talk about it, leading her to ask me a couple more times about how I felt about it and how badly I wanted one. So I finally told her, I want one reeaaalllly bad. But I knew how she felt. This was going to be a decision that was hers, on whether or not I got a bike. So I let her think about it. We started looking at bikes together online on ebay and craigslist, seeing how much they ran money-wise. We also started reading through forums, just to get a better understanding of them. She was a bit more thorough than I was, even go so far as to look at pictures of accidents. It freaked her out, and I said I understand, and still just left the decision up to her. I understood the risks, but was not willing to go off and get a bike just because I wanted to. The last thing I want to do is go off, get a bike behind her back, then come home and have her be incredibly upset with. She worries enough about me everyday (concerned with my safety, my job isn't exactly the safest. I end up with a more cuts and bruises on myself with no idea of how they got there every week); I know adding a motorcycle to the mix will only make her stress out more.

So I let it go on. Like I said, the decision is up to her. A month or so goes by, we've still been looking, researching bikes and gear, etc. We learn what a "SNELL" rating is, what riding gear is essential, etc. She finally compromises that if I am going to ride a bike back and forth to work, then I need to take the Safety Course beforehand, and when I do get a bike and start riding, ATGATT.

What?! DEAL!!!! I never saw that coming, I was almost sure it would never happen. But it was something I could live with if I never did get a bike. I've never had one of my own, so what would be different if I went on not having one? Big deal. So anyway, I'm signed up to take the course starting August 11. I've already obtained my Class M learner's permit as well. I'm holding off on buying my gear just so I can be sure it matches the color of my bike.

We also did a lot of research into what the best bikes to start off on were, and that's when we came across the wonderful Ninja 250. Everything I've read about it, points to it being the perfect bike for me. I've already known how to ride motorcycles just from growing up around them and taking my coworker's bikes for rides around our private parking lot/private drive, but never having my own meant I was still very green when it came to riding skill and knowledge.

So now we're scouring ebay and craigslist for either a (kawi) green or red ninja. New Gen would be amazing, but I didn't want to spend more than $3k, so I'd still be more than happy with a pre-gen. I've already got a list of mods I want to do to a pregen, (tinted windscreen, rear fender elimination, integrated tail lights, flush front turn signals, seat cover). So even if I did go pre-gen, I'd be absolutely thrilled to have extra money left over to tinker with it to make it *mine*. Also going pregen would mean it would juuussst fit inside of our Honda Element, and wouldn't need to borrow her dad's truck (since the new gen is a little longer due to bigger wheels/tires). I would still need to take off the windscreen to make it fit through the opening though (opening of the Element is 40", height of bike is 43". Drat!). I'll have to post pics if we do pull it off.

One last thing before I bring this post to a close is I actually sat myself down yesterday and watched videos of motorcycle accidents. To put it simply, I was horrified. I suppose I should have watched them beforehand, but wow. I also went through and read a bunch of posts about people's accidents, just trying to learn from them what happened, what to do, what to look for, etc. I'm still incredibly excited to get a bike and finally ride, but I'm way more cautious about it now. Just yesterday while driving home, and also while going out to pick up some dinner for us, I kept an eyeball on the road, looking for rough spots in them and looking for the best lanes to ride in (as if I were riding a bike). I also noticed how insane some people really do drive. I don't know if it was just yesterday, with it being Friday and yet another 95 degree summer day, or if my eyes were just opened to me after watching/reading peoples' experiences. Good grief.

So in closing, I'll repeat what my subject says: My wife is awesome! I know that she'll never be 100% comfortable with me riding, but she also knows I'm very responsible (I'm Superintendent of my facility even!). I appreciate and love the fact that she's going ahead and letting me have this, something I've wanted since I was little, this is one of my dreams coming true See you guys around!

Last futzed with by hubcapbandit; July 10th, 2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo's
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

hubcapbandit! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Talking

hubcapbandit, Of course your wife is awesome. That is pretty obvious. I'm happy for you, and welcome to the Ninja Family.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Awesome wife indeed !

Well written, welcome as a registered forum-member
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Welcome!

New-gens can definitely be found for under $3k in some areas. I bought a low-mileage '08 in decent condition last year from a private seller for about $2600. Good luck finding something
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome!

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome. Great story.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Old July 10th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #9
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Let us know when you get your bike! I got an '09 with 17 miles on it for $3300 so you can probably find a new-gen for under $3k. Even if you don't, the pre-gen is a fantastic bike. Good luck!

Old July 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Great story and welcome to the site... you can definitely find out a lot of information on here on pretty much any topic! Keep us updated!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #11
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Welcome from the North
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #12
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

Thanks all! Sorry for the long first post, I tend to get wordy when talking about something of importance happens in my life But at least you guys enjoyed what was written (for those who did read through it all)!

I'll keep everyone updated!
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #13
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Great story and congrats on the bike!! I know I wouldn't have been patient enough to wait 9 years for someone's approval to get a motorcycle.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Chris, you're a lucky man, and I respect you for having this much patience.

Oh and by the way, red or Kawi green are both good colors - loud colors = visible.

Good luck with everything.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Ntotot
ninjette.org member

Name: Adzla

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black Ninja 205r - SOLD, Now -> a Z750

Hi Chris!

Good spouse you have there. She takes good care of you and you have to take care of yourself and hers.

Reminds me when I bought my Ninja250R back in July 2008. When we went to the Kawasaki dealer and she asked which one that I booked, so I point to Ninja250R and she says "Why didn't you picked that blue one instead?", I was like "Errr... okay... I thought you don't like it". She pointed to a blue ZX6R..... So I said that one is too costly for me. This Ninja is just fine.
Ntotot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #16
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Gotta love us cool wives, huh? hehe! Welcome! Have a great, safe time learning to ride!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #17
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote