ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

What's up with my bike? Dropping gears

Lately I've been cruising around on my ninjette and when I shift into 2nd, usually within 2 seconds the thing drops back in to neutral! It makes the engine rev really high as I'm usually applying throttle through my shifting and gives me a bit of a jolt.

At first I thought maybe it was me, as I'm a fairly new rider (3 weeks today) but there have been a few times where I'm solidly in 2nd gear, been there for at least 6 seconds with my foot underneath the shift lever and boom, the bike drops in to neutral! Even more recently, starting yesterday, the bike seems to have been doing the same in higher gears. Maybe not completely dropping but it seems to get caught between gears as I shift. The jury is still out as to whether or not that's me being a noob or the bike playing with my emotions; but do you guys have any idea as to what's up or how I can fix it?

To cover some questions you may ask I have experienced this issue both when I've first started riding as well as when I've been riding for a fair amount of time (so when the bike is both warm and cold) and it happens when I'm really rolling on the throttle or just cruising down the road.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
MattRichling
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Lately I've been cruising around on my ninjette and when I shift into 2nd, usually within 2 seconds the thing drops back in to neutral! It makes the engine rev really high as I'm usually applying throttle through my shifting and gives me a bit of a jolt.

At first I thought maybe it was me, as I'm a fairly new rider (3 weeks today) but there have been a few times where I'm solidly in 2nd gear, been there for at least 6 seconds with my foot underneath the shift lever and boom, the bike drops in to neutral! Even more recently, starting yesterday, the bike seems to have been doing the same in higher gears. Maybe not completely dropping but it seems to get caught between gears as I shift. The jury is still out as to whether or not that's me being a noob or the bike playing with my emotions; but do you guys have any idea as to what's up or how I can fix it?

To cover some questions you may ask I have experienced this issue both when I've first started riding as well as when I've been riding for a fair amount of time (so when the bike is both warm and cold) and it happens when I'm really rolling on the throttle or just cruising down the road.
I have had the same thing happen...
MattRichling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
nah.uhh
ninjette.org member

Name: nah

Motorcycle(s): n/a

Let the shift lever fully release betwEen shifts
Don't ride w your foot under the lever

You don't have to, but I recommend riding on the balls of your feet with your heels in

Edit: I've never had it happen to me, so its just my 2c
nah.uhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
kkim

adjust the shift lever.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah.uhh View Post
You don't have to, but I recommend riding on the balls of your feet with your heels in
This will help you get better body position.

New boots or steal toe? kkim may have it again with adjustment. Depending on your size, boot and your comfortable foot position, you may have to adjust your shift lever. Seems to me, the variance (2secs vs 6sec) in time points to when you move your foot.

The false neutral is a known thing on these bikes and only made worse by poor adjustment with your boots. You have to shift with authority and completely.

But for 3 weeks... Ride how you are comfortable and be safe out there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
This will help you get better body position.

New boots or steal toe? kkim may have it again with adjustment. Depending on your size, boot and your comfortable foot position, you may have to adjust your shift lever. Seems to me, the variance (2secs vs 6sec) in time points to when you move your foot.

The false neutral is a known thing on these bikes and only made worse by poor adjustment with your boots. You have to shift with authority and completely.

But for 3 weeks... Ride how you are comfortable and be safe out there.
Well I was heavily considering the fact that it could be my foot, but then there were times when it would drop down when my foot was nowhere near the shift lever and that's what concerns me. Or if my foot is by the shift lever it's below it so it shouldn't be dropping down a gear?

I'll try what you guys have posted though and see what results I get, thanks!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #7
kkim

sigh... try adjusting your shift lever.

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

How old is the bike, bran new with factory oil?? If its new and never had an oil change, do an oil change. Thats what fixed ours from doing that.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #9
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
sigh... try adjusting your shift lever.
+1. This can happen when you don't quite pull on the shift lever far enough to really click into gear (even though it seems in gear for a second). If the lever doesn't allow you to reach the top of the shift range easily or if you're making half-hearted shifts, it can click back into neutral. Plus, if that's the problem, it'll make it much more comfortable to control.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
if you're making half-hearted shifts, it can click back into neutral
+1 on that.

1st to 2nd gear is the biggest shift in a motorcycle gearbox. Crossing over the neutral area between the two gears.

The shift lever has to rotate the cam-drum further on this shift than on any other, moving the gearbox shifting forks far enough to disengage 1st, cross neutral and then engage the dogs on 2nd.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Been having the exact same problem lately, and happening more often. And it's definitely not me, there is something with either the shift lever itself or the "neutral-finder" mechanism. Actually called the shop last night, where i bought the bike from about a year ago and asked about it, and they told me to bring the bike in and have it checked asap.
Quote:
adjust the shift lever.
Uhm, I would kinda like to try this myself if possible before bringing it in. However I have no idea how/what needs to be adjusted. Yes, I am very noob and afraid of messing things up when it comes to mechanical stuff. If anyone could explain this abit further I would be very thankful
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #12
kkim

loosen the 2 lock nuts on the shift rod and turn the rod in or out till it adjusts the shifter to the position you want it, then retighten the lock nuts.

pics of the shift rod install in this DIY should help. read the text along with the pics as one of the lock nuts is reversed threaded.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

If you carefully run the bike on a stable rear stand does it disengage?

Back to KKim's point I know when I change boots I often have shifting issues until I get a good feel for the shape of the boot.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #14
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

it's hapenning to me under hard acceleration in gear 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6....

I will try to adjust the shift lever.
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Quote:
loosen the 2 lock nuts on the shift rod and turn the rod in or out till it adjusts the shifter to the position you want it, then retighten the lock nuts.

pics of the shift rod install in this DIY should help. read the text along with the pics as one of the lock nuts is reversed threaded.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15136
Adjusted the shift lever + idle rpm, and it seemed to work wonders! Thanks alot Kkim But I think it's due for an oil change also, maybe I'll try doing that myself too, following your DIY closely
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Good to hear!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote