ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I would like to thank the Academy... And my family [Pic Heavy, NSFW]

Coming home from college on a motorcycle on a busy street is not the most fun thing to do, but that was unfortunately the route I chose to travel home from school.

I was following two cars at a safe distance. I had decided to change lanes so I was doing a head check. In the split second I was doing so, I not only noticed a car in the other lane, but the car that was in front of the guy I was following decided to slam on his brakes and not use his turn signal. They guy in front of me had to slam on his too and by the time I had snapped my head back round, it was too late for me to stop. At about 35 mph, my only choice was to slam on my breaks or hit the truck in front of me. I decided the former was the best idea because I didn't want to have to repair a truck as well. So there I went, flying over my handlebars and leaving my chin exposed to take the full impact of the belly flop I did into the pavement.

I slowly opened my eyes to the view of a clear, blue sky, an indication that I was still alive. As I rolled on my back, a few people who had witnessed the crash rushed over to see if I was alright. The man who came over told me he would take my helmet off, to which I replied "DON'T. TOUCH. MY. HELMET." (thankfully I had read a safety thread @Alex had posted). The lady told the man he was an idiot and then asked if I was alright. She said, "It looked like something right out of a movie!" I assured her that everything was fine and she called the paramedics for me. I don't remember the sirens or the medics showing up so I'm assuming I blacked out at this point. Once I regained consciousness, the paramedics were staring down at me and asking if I was in pain, which in hindsight seems like the absolute dumbest question you could ask someone who just flipped over his handlebars and landed chin-first on the pavement. I told him I was and he flipped me over, removed my helmet like you are supposed to when someone is in a crash, and checked my vitals, which were fine. Next, he bandaged up my extremely bloody chin and said, "I don't want people seeing you like this on the street. They'd scream and run away." I replied with "Meh, who says they don't do that anyways to my regular face?" They were amazed at how I could make jokes after being in something so serious. The paramedic told me to get in the ambulance but I insisted that I was fine and told him to call my mother instead, who worked only a few blocks away. She arrived and my dad came and got my bike while we talked to the police and then headed to the E.R.

Upon arriving at the E.R. I was met by a stupid receptionist who just wanted to chat with this other lady. I was pretty pissed at this point, having a bloody jaw, leg, and a possible broken finger, so I just groaned (somewhat loudly), "Man, I wish someone would actually help me here!" The receptionist got irritated and reluctantly agreed to help me. I got called in a few minutes later, where I was given pain killers and nausea medicine while the doctor was helping someone else. Eventually, he came in got my hand x-rayed and got my head a CT scan, which both turned up normal. He finally stitched up my chin (after 4.5 ****ing hours there) and said I was free to go home. They didn't even bother cleaning my bloody face up or anything and said that I would just have to do that by myself when I got home. That really pissed me off.

Anyway, I finally got home and lied down in my room with my swollen leg and finger propped up. My girlfriend bought me a movie and Skyrim for the 360 since my PS3 version stopped working, along with otter pops and milkshakes.

Here are the pictures I took after the incident, including some somewhat ugly ones that you may want to avoid. I will update this thread later as I heal up.

EDIT: sorry about the pictures being sideways, m phone has been orienting them that way for some reason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2050[1].jpg (122.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2051[1].jpg (158.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2053[1].JPG (108.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2060[1].jpg (61.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2057[1].JPG (91.8 KB, 56 views)
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Glad you came out relatively well from this accident. Could have been much worse.

I don't get one thing though, How did you smash your chin into the ground with a full face helmet? Was the helmet too loose on you or was the chin strap just not fastened tightly enough?

I'm sure you learned from this incident. Did you brake too hard and therefore endo over the bars? If you didn't hit the car in front, it sounds like you had enough room to make a safe emergency stop.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Glad you are ok for the most part. I learned to hit up emergency clinics. Just got to know where the good ones are.

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
Glad you came out relatively well from this accident. Could have been much worse.

I don't get one thing though, How did you smash your chin into the ground with a full face helmet? Was the helmet too loose on you or was the chin strap just not fastened tightly enough?

I'm sure you learned from this incident. Did you brake too hard and therefore endo over the bars? If you didn't hit the car in front, it sounds like you had enough room to make a safe emergency stop.
I'm not sure how it all happened. I think it must have been slightly loose because I remember not tightening it all the way when I was leaving school. I think I may have smashed my chin into the helmet or the chin strap was just too loose and the helmet came up. The damage my helmet took is shown below.

I didn't have any time at all to stop. I was checking over my shoulder longer than usual and when I looked back he was about a foot from me. I honestly have no idea how I didn't hit him. I think I swerved a little and my bike went to the right of his truck. I couldn't swerve all the way into the other lane though because there was a car there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2066[1].jpg (85.4 KB, 50 views)

Old May 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Imagine the damage if you were wearing a skull cap instead of a full face... Let's just say it would have sucked if you didn't have dental coverage.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're mostly OK! How did the bike get removed from the scene, have you picked it up yet?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 03:59 AM   #7
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse bro!!! That by itself looks pretty nasty. Heal up quick!!!

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I am very sorry that this has happened to you, Nolan.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Hopefully you heal up soon! It happens to the best of us.

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM   #10
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Wow, full face helmets FTW.
Glad you are ok! Get better, good lesson for all of us

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #11
set608
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Glad your mostly alright man! heal up fast and get us pics of the bike as soon as you can! Also get started on the whole insureance crap as soon as you can!
set608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 12:15 AM   #12
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Sucks. Glad you a at least OK

Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #13
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I keep catching myself doing bad shoulder checks (turning my head to far and for too long). Thanks for the reminder about what can happen when you get them wrong. It looks from your photos like your face is going to heal up nicely. Hope the rest of you will be ok too.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Finally got my stitches out today and took my splint off of my pinky. Everything seems alright for the most part. My jaw still hurts and I'm getting really bad headaches ever since the crash but I'm healing up well and got a new helmet ordered, along with some better gloves.

Old June 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #15
aharnak
ninjette.org member

Name: A.J.

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Glad you're okay dude. Nicely done on wearing all that gear. It saved you from being hurt a lot worse.
aharnak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Glad you're mostly OK! How did the bike get removed from the scene, have you picked it up yet?
My dad rode it home for me. Clip ons were crooked but it was still running. He got it home and we've fixed it all up to normal

Old June 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #17
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Glad you're getting better bro! Heal up quick

Old June 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Glad your here typing the story... Sorry bout your experience though

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Glad you're getting better bro! Heal up quick
Thanks!

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Ordered a new helmet a few days back. This time I got one that was both SNELL and DOT certified. Also am thinking of getting a new pair of gloves as well since my old pair has some seams that are coming loose. I'm looking at the Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-...leather-gloves

Anyone heard anything about them? Or are there any other good quality gauntlet gloves you can recommend?

Old June 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #21
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Sucks, dude, but glad you're alright!

Also: medics asking about pain is pretty standard. If you're NOT in pain after something like that, it can be a sign of **** being SERIOUSLY ****ed up.

Old June 5th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #22
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Sucks, dude, but glad you're alright!

Also: medics asking about pain is pretty standard. If you're NOT in pain after something like that, it can be a sign of **** being SERIOUSLY ****ed up.
Yeah, I know it is. Still seems like a dumb question though

Old June 5th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #23
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Glad you're OK for the most part. I know all too well how much it sucks to go down. I'm also glad to hear that you've fixed your bike up back to normal. Just try to keep even more space ahead of you and practice quicker head checks. Ride safe bro.
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #24
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
Ordered a new helmet a few days back. This time I got one that was both SNELL and DOT certified. Also am thinking of getting a new pair of gloves as well since my old pair has some seams that are coming loose. I'm looking at the Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-...leather-gloves

Anyone heard anything about them? Or are there any other good quality gauntlet gloves you can recommend?
Sorry if I'm too late on this but I have the GPX 2.0 gloves and like them a lot, they are my daily summer time glove here in Florida. Very comfortable and feel a lot more protective than my previous shorty gloves from joe rocket. This is my only pair of gauntlet gloves I've owned but I've been very happy with them so far.

Old June 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Sorry if I'm too late on this but I have the GPX 2.0 gloves and like them a lot, they are my daily summer time glove here in Florida. Very comfortable and feel a lot more protective than my previous shorty gloves from joe rocket. This is my only pair of gauntlet gloves I've owned but I've been very happy with them so far.
Hey thanks, man. I actually decided not to order them quite yet but I definitely will!

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #26
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Hows the finger doing?

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #27
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
Hows the finger doing?
The finger is doing fine but my wrist still hurts whenever I put pressure on it and my Achilles is still swollen and numb. I'm worried about that more than anything. I got my teeth straightened though so I'm slowly getting in better shape.

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #28
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

For gloves, I have perforated Cortech Latigos. Super comfy, way more comfortable and supportive than my hold short glove/long cuff Tourmaster ones. They flow a ton of air too so my hands stay a comfortable temp even when it's 90+ out. A ton of padding and armor too and IMO they look way better than those Joe Rockets.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #29
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
For gloves, I have perforated Cortech Latigos. Super comfy, way more comfortable and supportive than my hold short glove/long cuff Tourmaster ones. They flow a ton of air too so my hands stay a comfortable temp even when it's 90+ out. A ton of padding and armor too and IMO they look way better than those Joe Rockets.
I was looking at those but I've read a good deal of negative reviews on them. Are they as badly made durability-wise as people say?

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM   #30
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Update for anyone who actually still cares: Achilles is finally getting feeling back to it and my scars have mostly healed up. I still have one right below my shin and I believe my chin one is going to be permanent, despite what doctors keep telling me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM   #31
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Grow a beard

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM   #32
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Glad your bout healed up I don't trust anyone without a scar, that's what my grand dad told me when I was crying about my first, but def not my last scar.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:41 PM   #33
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Very glad you are feeling better. Scars can shrink over time and become much noticeable. I hope this is the case for you.
best wishes GA
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #34
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I'm interested in this thread about correctly removing helmets after crashes....
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #35
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I'm interested in this thread about correctly removing helmets after crashes....
This is similar to what was posted before, but not the exact one. The one I was referencing earlier went into much more detail but this sums up most of the things that were discussed: http://www.ambulancetechnicianstudy....l#.UrJwlfRDvn0

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ that link is great but.... there is always a but right? Is it UK specific?

Most EMS I have talked to (US) say, "do not remove the helmet unless there a need." To stop profuse bleeding, clear airway, cpr, ect, ect.

Pro Tip: A lot of EMS will not even think twice about it and simply cut the chin strap. If and only if you can do it without harm to the crash victim, then undo the chinstrap. So the EMS workers do no cut it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #37
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

When I was still working in as a firefighter paramedic we trained specifically on helmet removal for motorcycle trauma victims. 2 rescuers are needed: one to hold the patient's neck and head in neutral alignment as the other person spreads the helmet and removes it. No need to cut the chin straps. I used to donate my old helmets to our FD so that our paramedics and EMTs could practice this skill.