ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Name: Roderick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Waving shouldn't be a big deal.

Another wave thread in the online motorcycle world but here we go. I was riding my 250R and this cruiser guy gave a wave. Now this was the few occasions where I actually noticed it (I noticed him coming a pretty long way but I turned my focus to my ride). They are so subtle and paired with my focus on the road. I hardly see them but I saw it. Even if I do see them. I never wave whether to initiate or respond. That's just my personal preference. I didn't wave back because I just don't. Anyways, he quickly turned it to a middle finger.

I noticed it and it was no biggie. Here is where it caught me off guard. He turns around and chases me then at a light. He asks me if I have a problem. I told him in summation that we could have one soon but I'm not getting emotionally invested in waving. I don't give a crap about the wave but I don't judge those who do and don't. It shouldn't be a big deal. He finally insulted my bike and rode off at the green light and turned. He now hates Ninjettes probably.

I don't consider myself a part of the motorcycle community nor do I want to be. I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm not. I enjoy my bike. I bought it to be a fuel efficient daily commuter to work and back and it's pretty fun as well. I love it (and I'll probably keep it forever honestly) but when I signed the dotted line for it. I didn't sign up to be a part of a "fraternity" where I have to follow social rules. Cheers. Just venting this annoying confrontation that happened a couple of hours ago.
Rugby Winger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby Winger View Post
Another wave thread in the online motorcycle world but here we go. I was riding my 250R and this cruiser guy gave a wave. Now this was the few occasions where I actually noticed it (I noticed him coming a pretty long way but I turned my focus to my ride). They are so subtle and paired with my focus on the road. I hardly see them but I saw it. Even if I do see them. I never wave whether to initiate or respond. That's just my personal preference. I didn't wave back because I just don't. Anyways, he quickly turned it to a middle finger.

I noticed it and it was no biggie. Here is where it caught me off guard. He turns around and chases me then at a light. He asks me if I have a problem. I told him in summation that we could have one soon but I'm not getting emotionally invested in waving. I don't give a crap about the wave but I don't judge those who do and don't. It shouldn't be a big deal. He finally insulted my bike and rode off at the green light and turned. He now hates Ninjettes probably.

I don't consider myself a part of the motorcycle community nor do I want to be. I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm not. I enjoy my bike. I bought it to be a fuel efficient daily commuter to work and back and it's pretty fun as well. I love it (and I'll probably keep it forever honestly) but when I signed the dotted line for it. I didn't sign up to be a part of a "fraternity" where I have to follow social rules. Cheers. Just venting this annoying confrontation that happened a couple of hours ago.
UM, by joining this ninjette forum you are part of a community...just saying.. I look at the wave as just a friendly person noticing you have a similar interest in enjoying the nice days and the wind on a bike. Sometimes I wave, sometimes I dont. It all just depends. If I feel safe enough to wave, I do it. If at a light and I have my hand on the clutch I do not (I tend to give a head nod in that situation though). Some people also do not wave back at me, I just let it go... no big deal either way..

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #3
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........I was riding my 250R and this cruiser guy gave a wave...........he quickly turned it to a middle finger.........He turns around and chases me then at a light. He asks me if I have a problem..........He finally insulted my bike and rode off at the green light and turned..........
That only shows how much indifference can hurt an ego.

Don't worry, that will not happen again until 10 years from now, you have just missed the one in one-thousand opportunity of being acknowledged by a cruiser............and thank him for such an honor.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

When people wave on a bike, car, walking it is a courtesy to wave back.

Honestly it sounds like you have some kind of weird attitude problem where you don't want to be part of a "fraternity" but yet you joined a "fraternity" online. You're separate but the first thing you do is post to an online community on this board.

It takes more effort to whine here than it would to actually wave.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibtzumich318 View Post
UM, by joining this ninjette forum you are part of a community...just saying.. I look at the wave as just a friendly person noticing you have a similar interest in enjoying the nice days and the wind on a bike. Sometimes I wave, sometimes I dont. It all just depends. If I feel safe enough to wave, I do it. If at a light and I have my hand on the clutch I do not (I tend to give a head nod in that situation though). Some people also do not wave back at me, I just let it go... no big deal either way..
You make a good point about what the wave is. I understandably it is supposedly a friendly gesture but when one doesn't respond. However, to turn around and try to step up to me at a light. I thought it was an overreaction to such a simple action. He wanted to fight me but after I took off my helmet and he saw my seriousness. He backed off a little bit but he was still heated. This is over a wave.

I will disagree that I'm part of a community. This is a forum. A community is much bigger than it. Forum does not equal community in my opinion. I'm sure there are many members on the forum who have a single post here for whatever reason and disappear. Are they apart of the community? You're not the judge and I don't know who is.

We all have our reasons here. For me, it was to just look up technical know how on this bike. Considering your join date and post count then compare that to my join date and post count. You are definitely part of the community but I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post

Honestly it sounds like you have some kind of weird attitude problem where you don't want to be part of a "fraternity" but yet you joined a "fraternity" online. You're separate but the first thing you do is post to an online community on this board.

You're severely wrong. I don't have an attitude problem. Where have I disrespected anyone? Where am I whining? This is a place where people would take the wave so seriously so I said it here. That's why I did it. It wasn't the first thing I did. This just a forum. Where people share knowledge of the bike and converse. I don't converse but to gain technical knowledge. It's a forum and a real fraternity is more than that.

I did this mainly in hopes that someone who would take this gesture so seriously other people don't. They won't give others hissy fits or judge others based on that. I think the community deserves people who want to be in it. If you want to be a part of it then you are and if you don't then you aren't. Not telling someone they are a part of it against their will. That cruiser imbecile was spouting that same nonsense about fraternities and communities.

Not everyone is emotionally invested in other people. They are invested in their bikes. That is the whole purpose of this thread.

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #7
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post

Are you joking?

The dude on the Harley gave him the finger because he didn't wave back, and then made a u-turn, chased him down, and hassled him. Harley dude is the one with the problem.

That said, I enjoy the waving thing. If I have a hand free, I wave back. In fact, I even wave at bicyclists.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Are you joking?

The dude on the Harley gave him the finger because he didn't wave back, and then made a u-turn, chased him down, and hassled him. Harley dude is the one with the problem.

That said, I enjoy the waving thing. If I have a hand free, I wave back. In fact, I even wave at bicyclists.
Yeah, totally agree. The Harley guy was a dick for chasing him down. My point is what does it cost the OP to wave, nothing.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #9
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I feel that many online forums are communities, mostly because of the (typically) shared interests.

Quote:
The term community has two distinct commutative meanings: 1) Community can refer to a usually small, social unit of any size that shares common values. The term can also refer to the national community or international community, and 2) in biology, a community is a group of interacting living organisms sharing a populated environment.

In human communities, intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risks, and a number of other conditions may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesiveness.

Since the advent of the Internet, the concept of community has less geographical limitation, as people can now gather virtually in an online community and share common interests regardless of physical location. Prior to the internet, virtual communities (like social or academic organizations) were far more limited by the constraints of available communication and transportation technologies.

waving at someone that waved at you is just common courtesy, walking, driving, etc, if I can't wave back, I'll nod. I also pull over and make sure motorcyclists on the side of the road (by themselves, not in a group) are ok.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
It may cost the OP nothing to wave, but it also costs nothing to not wave. Waving is a choice and not a requirement for being on a motorcycle. I wave and regardless of if the other rider waves back or not, it doesn't make any difference. Even at gas stations if I see another rider, I will nod. If they acknowledge back, or if they don't, it has no relation on my day.

The real issue here is the road rage over something so minor. Changing a wave to the bird, eh, no real deal, it doesn't affect either rider for more than the millisecond it takes to mentally switch hand positions or mentally register the message sent.

But to turn around and follow then harass someone over a nothing incident? That rider was wrong, pure and simple. It's those actions that reflect poorly on all riders regardless of the bike we're on.

OP, I feel bad that another biker chose to be a dick to you, it was undeserved. I've never run across someone (waver or not) who took that simple action so seriously.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #11
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Lol this is such a funny story. Like motofool said, none of those cruisers like to wave to sport bikers. They're always too badass to. 1 in maybe 100 actually wave to me. When I'm riding behind a cruiser they'll wave to the cruiser then quickly retract their hand it is pretty amusing to watch.

Imo he just scored us 1 point.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hmmm maybe it's just me but what does riding a bike have to do with this? If someone waves at me, I normally wave back unless there is a specific reason not to. Maybe I am just too friendly of a guy. Never know... that guy may ride up on you when you need help and you know what he is gunna remember? Yea...

It's not joining a club or anything like that. It's simply being a part of the human community that your already in, and you CAN'T really opt out.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

ive always seen the wave as a showing of respect to the other riders, knowing all too well how dangerous it is and still have the balls to get on the bike and ride.

how many car drivers do you see do this? none.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #14
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Harley guy never waves at sport bikes. One day, he feels like he will grant the honor to the OP. Feeling very good about himself, he was probably thinking about how special getting a wave from a cruiser guy would be for a sport bike guy.

He has built this up in his mind, then waves at you. You don't wave back. He feels rejected. Hurt may not be too strong of a word here. This quickly turns to denial, sadness and finally anger. He flips you off and chases you down.
Harley guy is a loser.

Give him a break though, my friend. He probably is not invested emotionally in anyone else, only in his bike.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

This problem has already been solved.

http://www.franktherealbiker.com/WavingArm.cfm

Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #16
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

sorry you had to deal with such a jerk. He's definitely in the minority. I usually don't wave because I'd rather keep my hands on the bars, I occasionally will nod or raise two fingers from the clutch grip. I'm a city commuter.

Obviously the road rage is uncalled for, but everyone has a back story... He was obviously having a bad day. Maybe he got pissed because it was the first time he decided to wave to a "crotch rocket" and you didn't wave back.

Try to shake it off man, no need to get upset. Definitely no reason to take your helmet off and threaten to fight someone. And if you do, keep your helmet on next time, he'll be hard pressed to do any damage...
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
ihow many car drivers do you see do this? none.
Erry day where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Erry day where I live.

Lies.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #19
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
I wave to other modded subies all the time when I'm in my wrx. If I'm stopped at a light, I'll even wave to modded subies when I'm on my bike. The subie community waves a lot, at least around here.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #20
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Waving?

First :

"Community can refer to a usually small, social unit of any size that shares common values"

Second :

You insulted the cruiser guy and made him so butt hurt that he had to chase you down for a wave!!! tsk tsk tsk

and Third :

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post

http://www.franktherealbiker.com/WavingArm.cfm

Where can I get one of these? Is there a DIY thread on this?

With this I can concentrate on my riding...

I generally try to wave at all motorcyclists (or at least acknowledge them with a headnod).

Out of my 20 waves, I probably get 2 that wave back, 3 headnods & no reaction from guys on cruisers...

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #22
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Meh. If someone waves at me, I wave back. It doesn't matter if I'm on my motorcycle or not. If I'm feeling particularly cheerful that day, I may even initiate the wave. It's really not a big deal to me.

It was obviously wrong for the cruiser to chase you down like that, and it was wrong of you to threaten to fight him. It you really believe it shouldn't be a big deal, like you say in your topic, why would you fight someone over it? Both of you could have left with a much better outlook if you had simply said "Sorry dude. I didn't mean to offend you" and then go your separate ways. I could be wrong but it seems to me like you're riding around with your grumpy pants on. Lighten up. Motorcycles are supposed to be fun!
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #23
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Just curious OP...do you have any friends? And pets don't count
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
Meh. If someone waves at me, I wave back. It doesn't matter if I'm on my motorcycle or not. If I'm feeling particularly cheerful that day, I may even initiate the wave. It's really not a big deal to me.

It was obviously wrong for the cruiser to chase you down like that, and it was wrong of you to threaten to fight him. It you really believe it shouldn't be a big deal, like you say in your topic, why would you fight someone over it? Both of you could have left with a much better outlook if you had simply said "Sorry dude. I didn't mean to offend you" and then go your separate ways. I could be wrong but it seems to me like you're riding around with your grumpy pants on. Lighten up. Motorcycles are supposed to be fun!
Here is where you are mistaken. It is not a big deal and I'm not going to fight to not wave. I was willing to defend myself after he threatened me physically. I was ignoring him until he threatened me. So yeah, I got very serious with him because he wanted to put his hands on me. I let him that I will defend myself. He then quickly backed off so that was easy. He then got on his high horse. I ride my motorcycle to save fuel there by saving money not to have fun. I didn't have my grumpy pants on. I think anyone would have been crossed if some stranger hassled you to the point of threatning assault.

@rasta I have plenty of friends and I'm not particularly keen on pets. I'm too lazy to look after them.

Also a general point, I don't know if the cruiser was a Harley or metric. I saw a couple of guys mention Harley. I just don't want this to turn into a Harley slamfest when it is possible that it was metric cruiser owner. Harleys get enough flack already. I wasn't focused on his bike after he started barking at me. I also admit making a big mistake. I should have lane splitted therefore getting myself away from him. Things to learn from.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #25
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Interesting discussion. Personally I enojy waving at other motorcyclists and I'm frequently the initiator of the wave. I wave at sportbikers, cruisers, commuters, tourers and even scooters! Sometimes they don't wave back, which is OK too.

For some people, being ignored after they tried to be polite and friendly is interpretted as disrespect. This was obviously the case with the OP's encounter with the cruiser.

For the OP I would encourage you to think more about others and their potential reactions. It will serve you well in every interaction you have with another human being. It takes about the same amount of effort to be thoughtful and considerate as it does to be rude and indifferent.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #26
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
@rasta I have plenty of friends and I'm not particularly keen on pets. I'm too lazy to look after them.
Okay, I was just making sure. Because from what it sounded like; you're feelings towards strangers is consistent with those of loners.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #27
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Here is where you are mistaken. It is not a big deal and I'm not going to fight to not wave. I was willing to defend myself after he threatened me physically. I was ignoring him until he threatened me. So yeah, I got very serious with him. I let him that I will defend myself. He then quickly backed off so that was easy. He then got on his high horse. I ride my motorcycle to save fuel there by saving money not to have fun. I didn't have my grumpy pants on. I think anyone would have been crossed if some stranger hassled you to the point of threatning assault.
All I'm saying is, it's a whole lot better to apologize and deescalate a situation (even if you shouldn't have to) than antagonize the person and start a d*** measuring contest. Your only goal should be to get home safely. Don't let your ego get in the way of that.

And you know you have fun on your motorcycle. Don't deny it.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #28
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I wave all the time, but I'm from the south and we are nice and friendly around here... Since I was lil pappy turned his wave into a bird if not responded to, it was more for fun than anything I think. The guy was wrong to chase you, but your alive, he is alive, an I'm surprised @Panda didn't call you a troll

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #29
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I've always been a friendly person. I wave at all motorcyclists/scooter nerds and most cyclists. Being friendly goes a long long way. You never know who you will meet and if you'll meet that person again. But that goes both ways. There are some crazy people out there op. just last week we had a local road rage incident turn into a motorcyclist getting run over and now he has a severed spine

I get it. Everyone has had people do stupid stuff and we get heated about it.

The motorcycling community is extremely small microcosm of society. Just commuting on a motorcycle is a very deliberate and active choice. There's a process to get a license, to get a bike, to learn to operate it, then openly accept the fact that daily riding a motorcycle is anything but convenient.

Truth be told, commuters are probably more involved as motorcyclists than 60% of owners.

Something to think about.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #30
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
we had a very interesting group dynamic last saturday.

My dad and mom on their Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (harley guys usually mistake him for one of their own)

my wife on her Kawasaki Ninja 250

Me on the Kawasaki KLR650

Harley guys would wave to my parents, sometimes wife and I.

sport bike guys would wave to my wife, sometimes me, but not my dad.

it was just funny to see hands come out and go back for certain bikes

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #31
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

@greenaero that goes without saying but I'm disappointed that indifference equals rude. How sensitive have we become but this is nevertheless an interesting discussion.
@Tommy I never denied not having fun on it. I use to ride dirt bikes but that was never my reason. I don't have too much fun on it but it can put a smile on my face at times.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #32
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

in my book if you see some one wave and your looking at them and dont wave or nod its kinda like "**** off" if someone came up to the OP in a store and said "hey, hows your day?" and the OP just walked past giving them a disgusted look like (how dare you talk or be nice to me!?), that would just scream "dont ****ing talk to me, im too good for that ****"

if you dont want to wave, or be part of a community, go trade your bike for a scooter. you wont have to worry about people waving or chasing you then.

sorry if i sound harsh but if i was at a light or something and gave a rider a nod or a wave and they just looked at me like "**** off" it would piss me off to. i would probably tell em to eat a bag of baby dicks or something but not chase em tho.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #33
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
we had a very interesting group dynamic last saturday.

My dad and mom on their Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (harley guys usually mistake him for one of their own)

my wife on her Kawasaki Ninja 250

Me on the Kawasaki KLR650

Harley guys would wave to my parents, sometimes wife and I.

sport bike guys would wave to my wife, sometimes me, but not my dad.

it was just funny to see hands come out and go back for certain bikes
Thats just sad. I have not ever noticed a difference between who waves and who doesnt. I get waves from all kinds of bikes and I wave back. I also have all kinds of bikes not wave at me.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #34
skbrent
ninjette.org member

Name: Shannan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Wow...guy sounds like he's got issues

Quote:

That guy sounds like he has some anger managment issues. I sometimes wave, sometimes don't. If I wave and they don't wave back, oh well, not their thing or they didn't see or it wasn't safe at the moment...whatever. For this guy to get THAT confrontational over something as ridiculously minor as an unreturned wave...wow...hope he doesn't live in MY neck of the woods!
skbrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #35
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just curious why @Rugby Winger is getting so much flack for not waving? Really who cares?

It sounds to me like he sees the bike merely as a tool to improve efficiency of his commute. Do you wave to other people who own hammers or computers or cell phones? Do you acknowledge folks choosing one brand over another at the grocery store?

That may be where the disconnect is. Based on responses, we see the bike as more than just the sum of its parts. There's a passion behind it and we share that with others who chose to ride also. But from what it sounds like, Roderick isn't one of those people.

I'm thinking of a recent video Adam Savage posted on hand saws. He was totally geeking out over their history, use, and design where as I was simply thinking "It's a saw...?"
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #36
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
here's the thing. its got nothing to do with motorcycles. its part of being human.

take the motorcycle out of it, suppose you're on horses instead. guy rides past you and tips his hat and says how you doing. you sit there and stare at him with a blank face. most people would just assume you're retarded, but maybe this guy wanted to make sure you were retarded and not really some asshole with a stick up his ass.

don't worry, when you break down on the side of the road, you wont have to wave for another biker to stop and make sure you're ok.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #37
Panda
not an actual panda

@JohnnyBravo

The reason I asked if you were a troll is I can't understand what you write sometimes. I wasn't sure if you were doing it on purpose to elicit a response or that's just the way you write.

Example: Since I was lil pappy turned his wave into a bird if not responded to, it was more for fun than anything I think.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I think I just don't understand the way you write and you're not purposefully trying to jerk anyone's chain.

/end threadjack

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #38
skbrent
ninjette.org member

Name: Shannan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Quote:
ive always seen the wave as a showing of respect to the other riders, knowing all too well how dangerous it is and still have the balls to get on the bike and ride.

Out on the back roads around where I live, car/truck drivers wave at each other as they pass on the narrow 2 lane roads. It's just a friendly kind of thing to do. First time I saw it I asked my passenger "do you know that person?" LOL.
skbrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #39
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
@Panda
Oh I forget everyone ain't from the south
Since I was a little kid my grand father always waved to everyone, if they did not respond he would turn his wave into a middle finger for them to see and tell a little joke and we would laugh.

Nah I really talk an type like before not all this high style mess, most folks understand me just fine, or maybe they just try to make me happy and go away in ignorance

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #40
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Cheers wolfie. Clearly you get it.
Posted via Mobile Device