ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 12th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #1
karanj94
ninjette.org member

Name: karan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r

How do I fix this

Hey guys well I can't really explain it so il just show you guys the pic any ideas how to fix it. I do have a stock fender but I don't have the turn signals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.3 KB, 76 views)
karanj94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Geezer-60
ninjette.org member

Name: A.P.

Motorcycle(s): 2007 BMW F800s, Former 2011 Ninja 250r

Can I buy a vowel?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Fix what exactly? Are you trying to return the bike to stock or is something on the bike broken?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
What exactly are you trying to do? That looks like it may be an integrated tail light that would have signals...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I see a few issues:
No plate light.
Not enough separation for turn signals (integrated signals only).
No fender (do you really want one?).

If you want stalk signals in addition to your integrated tail light you can add any cheap set from eBay to your plate mount and wire them in. If you don't want to make more L-brackets like the ones we already see there then look at some universal fender eliminator plate mounts because many include side holes to mount turn signal stalks. Heck, many include a plate light too.

If they are LED turn signals you will need a different relay, which you may have already for the integrated taillight. I assume you would have mentioned if your signals didn't flash, but it seems that you may or even realize that you have signals integrated into the tail light based on your description of the problem (or lack thereof).

It looks like someone expects you to mount the plate directly to the L-brackets they made and go with no tail light and integrated turn signals only, but that's going to get you in trouble eventually so I would rectify that if I were you.

If you don't get a universal mount with tag light then you can wire one with generic stuff from Cycle Gear, eBay, etc. They make ag mounting bolts with LED lights that you can mount in the corners if you want.

Fenders only help keep the rear tire from throwing road water on you but you're getting wet either way. People almost universally agree that it's ugly but I've seen some make a detachable fender to use only when it rains. Some luggage racks make a cool little platform that extends back from rear seat level. Seems trivial to block water with it, it adds a lot of utility, and it doesn't look nearly as stupid.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #6
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
No plate light.
I was just thinking about this issue this morning when considering what a tail tidy would look like on my bike. Definitely something to consider since you don't want to give LEOs any more reason to pay attention to you.

Old June 12th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OP: I just realized that you said and showed that you have a stock fender. I will ask again: do you really want a fender? Most don't. Are you asking us how to install it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I was just thinking about this issue this morning when considering what a tail tidy would look like on my bike. Definitely something to consider since you don't want to give LEOs any more reason to pay attention to you.
Many kits come with a plate light but many more leave it up to you. FWIW, many jurisdictions specify that it must be a white light.

Old June 13th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #8
karanj94
ninjette.org member

Haha nah I would rather not have a stock fender but yea I do have the turn signals in the taillight but for sale of salvage inspection do you guys think I need to put it all stock with stock turn signals and everything or could I use a after market fender that just holds the plate I guess with a light on it

Old June 13th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-60 View Post
Can I buy a vowel?
Want to use your free spin or solve the puzzle?
Attached Images
File Type: png achievement.wheel.of.fortune.geezer.png (16.6 KB, 463 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanj94 View Post
Haha nah I would rather not have a stock fender but yea I do have the turn signals in the taillight but for sale of salvage inspection do you guys think I need to put it all stock with stock turn signals and everything or could I use a after market fender that just holds the plate I guess with a light on it
Most of us have no idea what you are talking about. Most states don't have inspections and even for the ones that do a "salvage inspection" sounds like something else. We have no idea what this inspection entails. Are you trying to get a salvage bike repaired and re-titled? I'm sure a lot of that is state-specific.

I see L-brackets someone used to hold the plate already on your bike. You can mount the plate directly with normal nuts and bolts. If you mount it with an LED bolt then you have the plate light covered. Two birds with one stone.

Old June 13th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

So the bike is not on the road? Not titled, registered or insured and you are trying to title it as salvaged?

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old June 13th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
NJ Law:

Turn signals not required.
One mirror needed
Rear of bike must have a red reflector (doesn't state what size).

Old June 13th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #13
karanj94
ninjette.org member

Well the bike already has a salvage title and I do have it for sale but I really Wana ride it so before I find somebody to buy it I'm just trying to get the inspection done in Nj from taking title being salvage to rebuilt so I can take it out on the road have some fun instead of just riding it on my block lol

Old June 14th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #14
karanj94
ninjette.org member

how could i put a red reflector without having to put the fender on?

Old June 14th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Why not just buy any old reflector and stick it on? They aren't hard to find. Heck, you could rip one off a bicycle if you want to. I'd just take a trip to Cycle Gear and buy the battery-operated tag light and some stick-on reflectors that they sell:
https://goo.gl/maps/JmutH

Are you sure that's all New Jersey requires to make a salvage bike street legal? I hear its not even worth trying in most states.

Old June 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:

Old June 14th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #17
karanj94
ninjette.org member

oh wow so thats just the red reflectors on the side of the place? not like turning signals. damn i wish one of you lived near me lol coulda just handed you the bike the parts and watch the magic happen

Old June 14th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
oh wow so thats just the red reflectors on the side of the place? not like turning signals. damn i wish one of you lived near me lol coulda just handed you the bike the parts and watch the magic happen
What magic? They sell those reflective buttons at auto and cycle parts stores all over. He just stuck them into something with holes. You can put holes in paperboard if you want to and don't care about rain.

If you want something more permanent then cut up a DVD case or something. kkim, a legendary member we used to have here, made some plate that protrudes from under his license plate and has a reflector on it because he wanted something half way between having no fender and having a fender reflector.

Surely, you have Lowe's or Home Depot or Ace Hardware or something around, so go look at their hardware aisle (nuts and bolts, shelf and picture frame mounting, etc). Find some right-angle L-brackets and buy some nuts and bolts for mount turn signals.

Old June 14th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #19
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Dude....I don't know if you didn't understand me before. But did you read post #12?

TURN SIGNALS ARE NOT REQUIRED IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY.

Go to AutoZone or AdvancedAuto or NAPA or Sears Auto....the red buttons I put on are about $1.49 each.

I used a broken tape measure. I just cut it, drilled two holes and used the tape measure to hold them against the license plate.

I'm not going to do research for you, but are you sure you need some sort of "inspection" to get your bike from salvaged title to rebuilt title?

I don't know if you know.....there's no such thing as a motorcycle inspection here in NJ for bikes with a "clean" title. Just go to the MVA (DMV for everyone else) and ask them specifically what is needed.

Then come back here with the requirements and we'll try to help you. If you want us to spoon feed you, maybe you're not mature enough to ride a bike on public roads. I'm just sayin...

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #20
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250-F "Sheldon" (Sold), 2010 Ninja 250R "Zeke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Dude....I don't know if you didn't understand me before. But did you read post #12?

TURN SIGNALS ARE NOT REQUIRED IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY.

Go to AutoZone or AdvancedAuto or NAPA or Sears Auto....the red buttons I put on are about $1.49 each.

I'm not going to do research for you, but are you sure you need some sort of "inspection" to get your bike from salvaged title to rebuilt title?

I don't know if you know.....there's no such thing as a motorcycle inspection here in NJ for bikes with a "clean" title. Just go to the MVA (DMV for everyone else) and ask them specifically what is needed.

Then come back here with the requirements and we'll try to help you. If you want us to spoon feed you, maybe you're not mature enough to ride a bike on public roads. I'm just sayin...
If he has a salvage title he does need an inspection to get a restored title. http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/Abando...wToRestore.htm

Nowhere in the inspection documents does it say anything about turn signals, though. Granted, I work for the Arizona DOT, not New Jersey, so take my word with a grain of salt on this one.
johncrist1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #21
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Is this like working for the government? Taking something that isn't broke and fixing it?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #22
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Is this like working for the government? Taking something that isn't broke and fixing it?
Yeah kinda :P

Old June 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #23
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I got the turn signals not required rule from this site. I guess we should take it with a grain of salt as well, since it's not an official site.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=30

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #24
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Best bet would be to contact the local DMV....

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #25
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I got the turn signals not required rule from this site. I guess we should take it with a grain of salt as well, since it's not an official site.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=30
Someone else should verify this:

(h)Every motor cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps, one tail lamp, one stop lamp, at least one reflector on the rear, adequate license plate illumination and, if a side car or any other extension is attached to the side thereof, one lamp located on the outside limit of the attachment capable of displaying white light to the front.

Source: http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...=2&x=0&y=0&zz=
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #26
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Someone else should verify this:

(h)Every motor cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps, one tail lamp, one stop lamp, at least one reflector on the rear, adequate license plate illumination and, if a side car or any other extension is attached to the side thereof, one lamp located on the outside limit of the attachment capable of displaying white light to the front.

Source: http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...=2&x=0&y=0&zz=
Went ahead and made the call to a Mrs. Pam Stetson of the NJDOT MVC at 609.292.6500 (plus all the other numbers for the million or so menus I had to go through). You can imagine the confusing conversational open: "Hi, this is the Arizona Department of Transportation, do you require turn signals on your motorcycles?"

Anyway, Mrs. Pam went ahead and humored me and it turns out that no turn signals are required on a motorcycle in the state of NJ. None whatsoever. Therefore, your integrated brake light will suffice, as the 9" apart rule doesn't apply here.

THAT BEING SAID....

It's stupid not to have them and you'll be far safer with them. I'd rather not see you in a newspaper being a splat on the road, so while you'll be able to get through your Level 3 inspection without them, I HIGHLY suggest you get legitimate ones as the integrated lights aren't always... obvious... to the lesser minded.

Old June 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
HAHAH, thank you.

Given your guy's Twitter account, Arizona DOT rules in the "do weird stuff" category. Makes it fun following along (AZ and WA actually)

Ok, I found the statute, I'm happy. Now to let the Jersey folk get Karan situated.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #28
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
HAHAH, thank you.

Given your guy's Twitter account, Arizona DOT rules in the "do weird stuff" category. Makes it fun following along (AZ and WA actually)

Ok, I found the statute, I'm happy. Now to let the Jersey folk get Karan situated.
Washington is the only other state I'd really consider moving to -- Motorcycles aren't required to have insurance Granted I believe in full coverage at all times, so I wouldn't drop it, but they're fun, too.

I've considered moving there to Seattle for no other reason than I'd love to ride in the rain more often. I can count on one hand the number of days it rains here in Phoenix all year.

Old June 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #29
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrist1988 View Post
Washington is the only other state I'd really consider moving to -- Motorcycles aren't required to have insurance Granted I believe in full coverage at all times, so I wouldn't drop it, but they're fun, too.

I've considered moving there to Seattle for no other reason than I'd love to ride in the rain more often. I can count on one hand the number of days it rains here in Phoenix all year.
It gets real old real quick. That's from the Irish guy.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #30
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Yeah... The rain can get tedious in Seattle.

So what are some of the other weird motorcycle rules in Washington?
(Besides requiring a special driver's license endorsement for 3-wheeled vehicles).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #31
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Yeah... The rain can get tedious in Seattle.

So what are some of the other weird motorcycle rules in Washington?
(Besides requiring a special driver's license endorsement for 3-wheeled vehicles).
Everywhere else in the States that I can think of don't have restrictions on the age of a passenger on a motorcycle. Washington requires a passenger to be 5+ minimum unless they have a safety restraint. Interestingly, and so far as I know, this counts as a safety restraint:

What ISN'T legal about this, again, so far as I know, is the fact that the child isn't wearing eye protection, which is also mandatory according to state law.

Old June 15th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #32
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Thanks! I guess I knew in the back of my mind about the 5 year rule.

Do any other states require a 3-wheel endorsement?
(car and 2 wheel motorcycle endorsement don't count).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #33
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Not that I'm aware of, but I didn't even know Washington required that.

I know SC doesn't even require an M endorsement, all you need is your D (take that however you may). RI requires you to take the MSF just to get your permit, but the M is enough to get on a trike.

In NY you can choose to take your test on a two or three wheeled vehicle. If you choose a two wheeled vehicle, you can ride a two or three wheeled vehicle. If you choose to only do it on a three wheeled vehicle, you can only ride a three wheeled vehicle.

Old June 15th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #34
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Fun fact:

For NJ, if you take the test (assuming you didn't take the MSF course) on a bike that's smaller than 231cc, they are restricted on riding bikes that are 500cc or under.

However, if you take a state approved course (like the MSF), that restriction is waived, even if you took the course with a bike that's smaller than 231cc.

Old June 21st, 2015, 12:31 AM   #35
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Another fun fact about NJ motorcycle laws:

Technically any police officer can pull you over on a motorcycle with absolutely no reason at all (no probable cause). Why?

There's this law that requires all riders to have reflective material/tape on our helmets.

The law specifically states: "Approved non-reflective helmet with four inches of reflective tape on each side"

Say what???? Can't have a reflective helmet....but that non reflective helmet must have reflective tape?

Old June 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM   #36
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Technically any police officer can pull you over on a motorcycle with absolutely no reason at all (no probable cause). Why?

There's this law that requires all riders to have reflective material/tape on our helmets.

The law specifically states: "Approved non-reflective helmet with four inches of reflective tape on each side"

Say what???? Can't have a reflective helmet....but that non reflective helmet must have reflective tape?
Top notch politics at work.

Old June 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM   #37
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

Yepp, Ohio checking in here.

To operate a 3 wheeled vehicle, one needs either a motorcycle license, or a specific 3-wheeler license. However, the 3-wheel license is not valid for a motorcycle.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #38
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:

It's called a "Terry Stop" and can happen in all 50 states, and not just for motorcycles either because it can happen in a car or on foot. It involves a "reasonable suspicion of guilt" on the part of the cop.

Basically the cop assumes you're guilty of already committing a crime, or he/she assumes you're about to commit a crime, so they pull you over and dig for enough dirt on you to either give you a ticket, or make an arrest and impound your vehicle, anything to make stopping you profitable for the city/county/state.

There's no legal penalty for the cop when they get the assumption wrong either.

The old Miranda laws are gone now too. They don't have to read you your rights at the point of arrest anymore, so they'll start asking a ton of questions about where you're going, what you're doing, who you're going to see, why you're going to see them, whatever they can to dig up dirt and get you to incriminate yourself BEFORE they tell you that you could have legally kept your mouth shut and not answered any questions at all.

The best thing anyone can do to protect themselves from the cops is stick to the military PoW rules, stick to your name rank and serial number and answer nothing else. Ask them "am I being detained?" and if they say no, then you tell them (not ask) that you're free to go.

If you have a cellphone, start recording, it's legal in all 50 states since the end of 2011 regardless of any state laws that try to say otherwise. The Supreme Court knocked down all those BS laws in one swoop.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #39
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ Or just don't act like a dillhead, be respectful and polite (as you should act towards all people you interact with throughout the day) and generally be pleasant. No need to be a standoffish butt head. That's just asking for the officer to return the favor.

...but maybe that's just my midwest values kicking in. I've never had a bad interaction with an officer, even when I was pulled over by one of CHP's finest on my way past Sacramento.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #40
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ Or just don't act like a dillhead, be respectful and polite (as you should act towards all people you interact with throughout the day) and generally be pleasant. No need to be a standoffish butt head. That's just asking for the officer to return the favor.

...but maybe that's just my midwest values kicking in. I've never had a bad interaction with an officer, even when I was pulled over by one of CHP's finest on my way past Sacramento.
If the 4th amendment violating Terry Stop didn't exist, there would be no need for people to protect themselves from cops, but "protect and serve" went out the window decades ago.

There needs to be a penalty system for the cops if they fail to prove that you've committed or are about to commit a crime.

If they don't have probable cause, they shouldn't be able to hassle people.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote