Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Trying to buy in Michigan >:/

Sorry if my first post is a rant.

I signed up for the MSF class a couple weeks ago and it's scheduled to start April 20th and be done April 29th. So I figurd I'd get a jump start and try to find a nice used Ninja 250 in my area. I've now called on more bikes than I care to think about and they've all been sold...except one!

I called yesterday on a nice 2009 Red Ninja 250 with only 2,200 miles on it. Best of all it's only a few miles from my place. So I told the guy that I was going to call a friend, who is more knowledgable on teh subject, and call him right back to schedule a time to come look at it. This was all yesteray around 2pm. I called my friend and called the guy back at around 5pm, he didn't answer so I left a voicemail.

This morning I get to work and decide to email him, just to make sure he got the voicemail and to let him know that I'd like to look at the bike tonight. To my "surprise" the listing has been taken off of craiglist! So I text him to see if he got my voicemail, and if the bike is still for sale...and that's where I sit right now.

What the heck is going on!? This bike was just posted TWO DAYS AGO! How am I supposed to buy a used 250 when they all sell about 15 minutes after they're posted?!
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

We all go through the same thing when we have our hearts set on a bike that is as popular as the Ninja. I finally had to quit being pissed off about all the 'missed opportunities' and just accept the whole thing as fate. I'll get the bike that I'm meant to have, meaning that there will eventually be a bike listed that your timing is perfect to see & buy. You might as well not get worked up about it, and just keep trying. I spent 2 weeks on Craigslist, and I can't tell you how many bikes I missed out on. But I got the one I was meant to have. That's how you have to look at it.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
We all go through the same thing when we have our hearts set on a bike that is as popular as the Ninja. I finally had to quit being pissed off about all the 'missed opportunities' and just accept the whole thing as fate. I'll get the bike that I'm meant to have, meaning that there will eventually be a bike listed that your timing is perfect to see & buy. You might as well not get worked up about it, and just keep trying. I spent 2 weeks on Craigslist, and I can't tell you how many bikes I missed out on. But I got the one I was meant to have. That's how you have to look at it.
Thanks

I just got a response and it's sold...back to craigslist I go!

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #4
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Also check Ebay, CycleTrader.com & the local cycle dealerships. They all usually list their pre-owned on their websites.

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Also check Ebay, CycleTrader.com & the local cycle dealerships. They all usually list their pre-owned on their websites.
I tried. Ebay and cycletrader didn't have anything, and the dealers want WAY too much for a used 250.

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #6
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

What city are you nearest to?

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Andrew!

If it is your destiny to ride a ninja, for it will come to you. hahahahah jk! Don't sweat it, take your time and you will get one. Patience is your friend here. There are a few apps that will do craigslist searches for you on a timer and email you when a match is found. Maybe that will help?

You can also use the power of google to help. Go here http://www.google.com/alerts and enter something like this in the search query "site:lansing.craigslist.org ninja 250" without the quotes of course. Set up multiple alerts if you need to search different locations.

Good luck in your search.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
What city are you nearest to?
I live in Northville, but would be willing to drive about an hour for the right deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Andrew!

If it is your destiny to ride a ninja, for it will come to you. hahahahah jk! Don't sweat it, take your time and you will get one. Patience is your friend here. There are a few apps that will do craigslist searches for you on a timer and email you when a match is found. Maybe that will help?

You can also use the power of google to help. Go here http://www.google.com/alerts and enter something like this in the search query "site:lansing.craigslist.org ninja 250" without the quotes of course. Set up multiple alerts if you need to search different locations.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks! I look into that.

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Also, expand your search. I live in KY, but bought my R6 from St. Louis. Shipping on a bike can be had for around $250 from a private shipper or list the shipment via uship.com.

Food for thought.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #10
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

What colors & years are you looking for?

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Hi Andrew,

That's pretty much what I went through. I finally got the timing right when a (very) local person posted his ad, i showed up immediately after work, looked at the bike, paid a down payment, and picked it up later that night.

So, as mentioned by others, show patience. In a hot market (+ it's spring) you can't hem or haw or dicker with the price too much. Either it's a fair deal or it isn't, and you have to make that decision on the spot. No time to go back home and sleep on it.

One thing you *can* do is be willing to pay more for a better condition bike. The pristine bikes that are up for more will linger a bit longer.

Brian
--
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Also, expand your search. I live in KY, but bought my R6 from St. Louis. Shipping on a bike can be had for around $250 from a private shipper or list the shipment via uship.com.

Food for thought.
I've thought of that, but I really want to be able to look the bike over first.

Quote:
What colors & years are you looking for?
Any color 2009 or newer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrunch View Post
Hi Andrew,

That's pretty much what I went through. I finally got the timing right when a (very) local person posted his ad, i showed up immediately after work, looked at the bike, paid a down payment, and picked it up later that night.

So, as mentioned by others, show patience. In a hot market (+ it's spring) you can't hem or haw or dicker with the price too much. Either it's a fair deal or it isn't, and you have to make that decision on the spot. No time to go back home and sleep on it.

One thing you *can* do is be willing to pay more for a better condition bike. The pristine bikes that are up for more will linger a bit longer.

Brian
--
Yea, I'm starting to realize that my timing will have to be just right to get a good deal. What I've seen on craigslist is weird, the bike are priced from $2,500 to $4,500 with no direct correlation to age or mileage. Some people were even claiming that they owed $5,000 on the bike and just wanted what they paid for it.

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Enfemus
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

Welcome to Ninjette! I looked on Craigslist as well and all the bikes were going like hot cakes as well. I walked in to a dealership with a friend to pick something up for him and saw a 2010 blue ninja 250 and was like I wants that now! So I bought it lol. Keep looking man hopefully you'll have more patience then i did but I don't really regret my decision :-D
Enfemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfemus View Post
Welcome to Ninjette! I looked on Craigslist as well and all the bikes were going like hot cakes as well. I walked in to a dealership with a friend to pick something up for him and saw a 2010 blue ninja 250 and was like I wants that now! So I bought it lol. Keep looking man hopefully you'll have more patience then i did but I don't really regret my decision :-D
I thought about a dealer, I just don't want to pay $5000 for a 250 ninja. If I'm going to spend that much I'll buy a used 650.

Old March 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

4300 for mine

see this is why im waiting till it gets even warmer here.. I know I can get the most $$$
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #16
cmlilley
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

You can also get a uhaul motorcycle trailer for about 30bucks if you want to expand your range beyond an hour. I managed to find mine 2hr away and the guy brought it to me on a trailer for an extra fee.
cmlilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlilley View Post
You can also get a uhaul motorcycle trailer for about 30bucks if you want to expand your range beyond an hour. I managed to find mine 2hr away and the guy brought it to me on a trailer for an extra fee.
I'd love to do that. But I don't own a vehicle with a trailer hitch.

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #19
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

Food for thought.
hmm this is really good information for later use. $250 is cheaper than gas most of the time...

Bookmarked.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM   #21
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Good luck Andrew.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #22
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

I searched for a month and a half on CL, ebay and CycleTrader and I had the same luck as you. The bikes would always sell within hours.

I finally bought a used bike from a dealership. I bought my 2010 SE Green for $3985 and it only had 690 miles. It was in brand new condition. Sure it was more expensive, but it definitely beats a brand new bike for $6200 OTD. Brand new 2012 SE's in my area are around 6200 OTD. Quite ridiculous.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM   #23
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
I thought about a dealer, I just don't want to pay $5000 for a 250 ninja. If I'm going to spend that much I'll buy a used 650.
I was thinking the exact same thing for the past 3 weeks...could not find a decent priced 250 for the life of me!!! FINALLY found a 2006 on Craiglist in mint condition which I picked up today. Just search craigslist every hour for the next week...something will pop up and once it does JUMP ON IT!!!! Good luck!!

Also...look at surrounding states...I had to drive 98 miles one way to WI to pick up my ninjette...but soo worth it
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:53 AM   #24
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing for the past 3 weeks...could not find a decent priced 250 for the life of me!!! FINALLY found a 2006 on Craiglist in mint condition which I picked up today. Just search craigslist every hour for the next week...something will pop up and once it does JUMP ON IT!!!! Good luck!!

Also...look at surrounding states...I had to drive 98 miles one way to WI to pick up my ninjette...but soo worth it
Too late. I think he already picked up a 2012.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #25
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
^What he said. I got tired of dealing with the people on craigslist...and I couldn't help myself at the dealership...lol

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #26
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Oppps...should of read EVERY post before replying
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM   #27
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oppps...should of read EVERY post before replying
Don't worry. It wasn't in this thread