ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM   #41
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Yamaha sure knows how to make a beautiful frame.

I can understand wanting to fighter a superbike for the up-spec componentry, but I don't understand the problem everyone seems to have with "detuned" engines in factory naked bikes. I mean they all put out anywhere from 100-140rwhp at least, and have way flatter torque curves than their superbike counterparts. What's the point of having 180hp at 12k rpms and peak torque at 10k on a bike that's going to be aerodynamically limited way earlier, when you could have 140hp at 10k rpms and peak torque at 7k and have better torque almost everywhere in the powerband.

Plus factory nakeds will always look cleaner and over-all better, IMO, since they were designed to be naked. And there's always the Tuono if you want top spec suspension and a non-detuned engine, granted calling a Tuono naked is a bit of a stretch. and KTMs.

No judgement though, ride what you want for your reasons. If I wanted that kind of insane power I'd probably want a fightered superbike too haha. I just think it makes more sense to have power lower in the rev range on a bike not meant for top speed.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM   #42
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

A. I'm in the sweet spot most of the time while riding my naked hard (although it is a 600).

B. It's not as big of an advantage with the retune as you suggest.

There's only an 1,000 RPM difference in torque and a 600 RPM difference in HP. Those are not exactly numbers that take long to make up when you on the throttle. Not to mention the R1 actually has more HP & more TQ.

Something like the Z1000, with a purpose built motor for torque is the way to go.

Much better curves than the re-purposed FZ1 motor.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #43
KawiKid860

See but compare a 919 vs a CBR900RR, which is what I'm used to, and you can see the 919 is quite a bit flatter. And my bike decimates both those yamahas until ~8k rpm then it's about equal with the FZ1 and loses out by about 10 lb/ft to the R1, at RPMs that I'm never at and sure as hell wouldn't be at on a full blown liter bike. 8k rpms on an R1 is what 60-70mph? The FZ1 isn't exactly the best example, they're considered quite revvy and lacking in the low end when compared to 919s, ZRXs, bandits, speed triples, etc.

Those numbers on the kawi are amazing though, I agree a purpose built engine is the way to go. But I'm really happy with the way my 919 makes power, the torque curve is similar to the Z1000 just a lot less, and the horsepower doesn't quite flatten out as much at the top and again, there's a lot less. But that's about a 15 year difference in technology too lol. Damn I want to ride one of the newer Z1000s, like my bike with just more everywhere. Crazy. Torque is so useful, it's like a tool and a toy at the same time. It makes the bike rocket away sooo easy but any gear, any time, any speed just twist and go. That'd probably be the hardest part if I went back to a 600.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:14 PM   #44
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ wiring is hands down the most annoying thing to deal with in bikes, I can't imagine how much of a pain wiring would be in a modern car with all the extra tech they have these days

Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:57 AM   #45
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
See but compare a 919 vs a CBR900RR, which is what I'm used to, and you can see the 919 is quite a bit flatter. And my bike decimates both those yamahas until ~8k rpm then it's about equal with the FZ1 and loses out by about 10 lb/ft to the R1, at RPMs that I'm never at and sure as hell wouldn't be at on a full blown liter bike. 8k rpms on an R1 is what 60-70mph? The FZ1 isn't exactly the best example, they're considered quite revvy and lacking in the low end when compared to 919s, ZRXs, bandits, speed triples, etc.

Those numbers on the kawi are amazing though, I agree a purpose built engine is the way to go. But I'm really happy with the way my 919 makes power, the torque curve is similar to the Z1000 just a lot less, and the horsepower doesn't quite flatten out as much at the top and again, there's a lot less. But that's about a 15 year difference in technology too lol. Damn I want to ride one of the newer Z1000s, like my bike with just more everywhere. Crazy. Torque is so useful, it's like a tool and a toy at the same time. It makes the bike rocket away sooo easy but any gear, any time, any speed just twist and go. That'd probably be the hardest part if I went back to a 600.
The thing with liter bikes is you need to regear them for the street.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:20 PM   #46
KawiKid860

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Only if you like wheelies A LOT

Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #47
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I was running -1\+2 when I bought it and am installing stock tomorrow. I've read stories about it being crappy on R1 forums stock but I can never tell if they're just the squids or respectable opinions. Also installed Michelin PR4s and 530 DD ZVMX chain and swapped the bars for stock clip ons. I have the OEM damper but my headlight doesn't give me enough room to mount it
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #48
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Regear SS for street, what is that, -3 +10 lol. (Seriously, that would put a liter SS near a VFR800 for 1st gear, but then 6th gear would suck for freeway ...)
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote