Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1641
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Cool, is that why you did this over paint, so you could peel it off if you don't like it later?
sure did! or if i just wanted to sell it, because most people like stock bikes.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1642
Mako
I'm a shark

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Blue Ninja 250r, Bullet X-7

did my first 2 up today, went very well as Amy's 2 previous boyfriends had bikes and she kinda remembered the laws of the passenger haha. Except she did lean on me for a good while - freaking arms are sore --- BUT THAT'S WHY WE DO TEST RUNS RIGHT?!

Exactly. All-in-all was a great ride today

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1643
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Dug up the chain I broke off last week so that I could place it back on and break the nut on the countershaft sprocket. During this, I found that several roller links were missing their rollers and two had only barely more than half (enough to hang on in a C-shape).

This isn't the first time, either.

Before, I thought it was because it was a cheap $30 chain or because it had been ridden way too tight and a shop had bungled the original install, but this one was an OEM chain with a couple links removed. It came off Casey's bike (@ninja250) but I know it wasn't like that. In fact, we did that specifically because I couldn't go home on the other chain that was already like that. We changed the rear sprocket too (brand new 38T) and the front sprocket still looks fine today, even though I was already changing both sprockets and the chain.

Anyway, I broke off a representational segment of the chain and spent a ton of time trying to clean it. I also found a chunk of one of the missing rollers in the bag I had stored the trash chain in for the last week. Edit: Pics and video.

Before doing all that, I used my 12v emergency impact wrench to remove the front sprocket. I later removed the rear sprocket and both wheels.

The rims were still FILTHY from the cross-country trip last year and you could barely tell that the back one was supposed to be powder-coated blue! What better time to clean them than when the wheels are off the bike? Let me tell you though: Cleaning painted rims is an ALL DAY JOB. I used WD40 to eat away at the soap and water-resistant grime and then used a dry paper towel in all the same nooks and crannies and then used soap to get the oily film off. I need a tire change anyway, so I didn't care about getting WD40 on the bald tires. There were actually many steps in between, such as rubbing what I could off with my hands and a hose before getting started and doing each step repeatedly. The results on the rear, the dirtiest, were actually better than the front because there are some dark/dull areas that just won't shine up.

I tried to finish before the motorsports shops close but that didn't happen. That means that the bike is going to be up on stands until at least Tuesday. There is so much pollen in the air that I had to rinse off the first wheel again after finishing cleaning the second, but I still figured that it's best to leave it on the bike so I slipped the axles back in just in case the stands failed (didn't mount nuts, speedo, brakes, etc).

Speaking of stands failing, I do not trust my head stand. The paint on top of the holder arm is cracking and there is a dent on the bottom attachment point of the tube it attaches to, so I'm pretty sure the weld is going bad. Also, it didn't lift high enough to take the tire out without deflating it. If I weren't doing it on that foam flooring material, it would have been slightly easier. I put a 12mm Harbor Freight Pittsburgh socket in it to approximate an 18mm pin (measures 17.75mm) and it fits tight in both the stand and the head, but I don't think it's going all the way in the head when I lift. I think it is a different angle, so the head is just resting on it.

Anyway, the whole thing is in a lean-to behind a barn with a walk-in door-sized area at one side and an open window-like area on the other but everything is still painted yellow with all the pollen. Seriously. I was scared to open my tank because I expected a ton of pollen to fall in and I can only imagine what my airbox air filter cleaning element looks like after idling for a couple hours (trying to empty a bit of the tank's stale gas so I can add Seafoam and E0 fuel).

I did hand-tighten the new CS sprocket but I did not install the rear or the chain yet. I'm not going to bother until I go to get the replacement tires mounted. Even then, I now have to wonder what is ruining chains on my bike with today's revelation that it may not have been the unfortunate circumstances I knew my older chain had been through that caused it's identical problem.

Oh! I needed the impact wrench on the front axle nut too. This is the second time that I've found it both way too tight and impossible to turn manually without someone holding the other side. What gives? I've found the rear way too tight too. It's like these things somehow tighten on the road despite their cotter pins.

Almost forgot: I finally got a proper gap tool from Autozone today and found that the Harbor Freight one, which couldn't even lift the ground electrode with the "gap opener" part that was made for that purpose, also had bad measurements. HF read it well under the minimum spec of 0.030" while three Autozone gap tools measured it right at or a bit over 0.030". It also cost less than half of what HF charged. Screw Harbor Freight.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 18th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1644
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I finished putting my carbs back together and reinstalling them on my bike. The airbox boots were very frustrating to install and were the worst part of the entire job. I adjusted the idle mixture and the bike runs much better.
I still need to synch the carbs but I want to install some tees in the vacuum lines so that it will be easier in the future.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1645
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@greenaero, http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=297756
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1646
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Put the Ninja up for sale Saturday morning. Had someone text me asking to come check it out today, but they haven't responded back yet.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1647
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Chris, Thanks , I did cut off the battery holder from the back of the airbox; much better!
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1648
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

After only being on Craigslist for 2 days the Ninja is sold.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1649
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Dug up the chain I broke off last week so that I could place it back on and break the nut on the countershaft sprocket. During this, I found that several roller links were missing their rollers and two had only barely more than half (enough to hang on in a C-shape).

This isn't the first time, either.

Before, I thought it was because it was a cheap $30 chain or because it had been ridden way too tight and a shop had bungled the original install, but this one was an OEM chain with a couple links removed. It came off Casey's bike (@ninja250) but I know it wasn't like that. In fact, we did that specifically because I couldn't go home on the other chain that was already like that. We changed the rear sprocket too (brand new 38T) and the front sprocket still looks fine today, even though I was already changing both sprockets and the chain.

Anyway, I broke off a representational segment of the chain and spent a ton of time trying to clean it. I also found a chunk of one of the missing rollers in the bag I had stored the trash chain in for the last week. Edit: Pics and video.

Before doing all that, I used my 12v emergency impact wrench to remove the front sprocket. I later removed the rear sprocket and both wheels.

The rims were still FILTHY from the cross-country trip last year and you could barely tell that the back one was supposed to be powder-coated blue! What better time to clean them than when the wheels are off the bike? Let me tell you though: Cleaning painted rims is an ALL DAY JOB. I used WD40 to eat away at the soap and water-resistant grime and then used a dry paper towel in all the same nooks and crannies and then used soap to get the oily film off. I need a tire change anyway, so I didn't care about getting WD40 on the bald tires. There were actually many steps in between, such as rubbing what I could off with my hands and a hose before getting started and doing each step repeatedly. The results on the rear, the dirtiest, were actually better than the front because there are some dark/dull areas that just won't shine up.

I tried to finish before the motorsports shops close but that didn't happen. That means that the bike is going to be up on stands until at least Tuesday. There is so much pollen in the air that I had to rinse off the first wheel again after finishing cleaning the second, but I still figured that it's best to leave it on the bike so I slipped the axles back in just in case the stands failed (didn't mount nuts, speedo, brakes, etc).

Speaking of stands failing, I do not trust my head stand. The paint on top of the holder arm is cracking and there is a dent on the bottom attachment point of the tube it attaches to, so I'm pretty sure the weld is going bad. Also, it didn't lift high enough to take the tire out without deflating it. If I weren't doing it on that foam flooring material, it would have been slightly easier. I put a 12mm Harbor Freight Pittsburgh socket in it to approximate an 18mm pin (measures 17.75mm) and it fits tight in both the stand and the head, but I don't think it's going all the way in the head when I lift. I think it is a different angle, so the head is just resting on it.

Anyway, the whole thing is in a lean-to behind a barn with a walk-in door-sized area at one side and an open window-like area on the other but everything is still painted yellow with all the pollen. Seriously. I was scared to open my tank because I expected a ton of pollen to fall in and I can only imagine what my airbox air filter cleaning element looks like after idling for a couple hours (trying to empty a bit of the tank's stale gas so I can add Seafoam and E0 fuel).

I did hand-tighten the new CS sprocket but I did not install the rear or the chain yet. I'm not going to bother until I go to get the replacement tires mounted. Even then, I now have to wonder what is ruining chains on my bike with today's revelation that it may not have been the unfortunate circumstances I knew my older chain had been through that caused it's identical problem.

Oh! I needed the impact wrench on the front axle nut too. This is the second time that I've found it both way too tight and impossible to turn manually without someone holding the other side. What gives? I've found the rear way too tight too. It's like these things somehow tighten on the road despite their cotter pins.

Almost forgot: I finally got a proper gap tool from Autozone today and found that the Harbor Freight one, which couldn't even lift the ground electrode with the "gap opener" part that was made for that purpose, also had bad measurements. HF read it well under the minimum spec of 0.030" while three Autozone gap tools measured it right at or a bit over 0.030". It also cost less than half of what HF charged. Screw Harbor Freight.
Video here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=27

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1650
Xz1atl
?>ninja = i think not

Name: Xavier

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 NINJA 650

So i finally removed the snorkel (intake). Im pleased with the result... presumed better acceleration... n noticeable deeper sound
Xz1atl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1651
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

I took my motorcycle to work. I worked in a remote office that was 60 miles away so I had a nice 120 mile trip (my longest so far). I got out earlier than expected today and it was gorgeous out and on the highway I got my Ninja up to 100MPH, damn it felt good. It felt even better since I just bought a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen. In my opinion it makes the bike much more stable to ride on the highway. With the original windscreen I was practically laying on the tank praying the wind wouldn't take me, lol. Today was a good day.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1652
mar3s24
ninjette.org member

Name: mary

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Installed a water temp gauge last weekend.

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1653
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Today I installed a stainless steel brake line (took me less then an hour too!), Also removed passenger foot pegs and installed a yosh exhaust mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikenew3.jpg (99.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bike new 2.jpg (97.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bikenew1.jpg (184.9 KB, 4 views)
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM   #1654
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xz1atl View Post
So i finally removed the snorkel (intake). Im pleased with the result... presumed better acceleration... n noticeable deeper sound
how long did it take you?

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1655
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by walty87 View Post
should take under 30 mins while drinking a beer and bullsh*ting with the neighbor
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM   #1656
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Today I installed a stainless steel brake line (took me less then an hour too!), Also removed passenger foot pegs and installed a yosh exhaust mount
What line did you get?

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1657
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
What line did you get?
Galfer Stainless Steel Hydraulic Front Brake Line

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...50R-Parts.aspx

(not sure if link worked). cheapest one I seen

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1658
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Today I installed a stainless steel brake line
I freakin love my SS brake lines!!!!! have fun

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1659
Xz1atl
?>ninja = i think not

Quote:
it took me 5 mins at most... just take off black small fairing... remove air box lid... push the (snorkel out) reseal everything DONE

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1660
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
... remove air box lid...
I have cleaned my air filter 4 times now (I'm at 4400 ish miles currently) and I've noticed that removing the air box lid is getting successively harder each time I remove it. It's like the metal holes the hex screws screw into are digging into the plastic of the lid....has anyone noticed this/had this happen?
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1661
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I lead the group for the 3rd day in a row! 8 bikes hitting the canyons and a the only 250 sets the pace. lol

The guy on the Ducati said "Damn!".

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1662
Xz1atl
?>ninja = i think not

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I have cleaned my air filter 4 times now (I'm at 4400 ish miles currently) and I've noticed that removing the air box lid is getting successively harder each time I remove it. It's like the metal holes the hex screws screw into are digging into the plastic of the lid....has anyone noticed this/had this happen?
Do you after stock or aftermarket? grease will always help (vaseline 2 for it is also grease lol)

I havent had that problem tho, in out on with my life

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1663
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I lead the group for the 3rd day in a row! 8 bikes hitting the canyons and a the only 250 sets the pace. lol

The guy on the Ducati said "Damn!".
Did anyone else in the group ride track?

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1664
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@choneofakind 4 of the 8 could be at the track with us, Mid-O is popular with this group.

I "let" (hahahahah) a R1 in front for a bit. Trying to get the vid from him (rear facing cam). I will forewarn you... it's not my normal street riding. New thread to follow with video, so you all can bash me for being an lol

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1665
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
uhhhh huh, sure! we'll let the video do the talking. I keep my squidly vids off youtube for a reason

I can't wait!!!! I want to meet cool people on fun bikes!! as long as they don't mind chillin with the college kid on the 16 year old bike...

side note: I can't recall ever actually ever seeing one of the new R1's on the road, only at the motorcycle show

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1666
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Installed Dynojet jet kit, reinstalled the carbs, installed Shogun frame sliders, did the Kleen removal mod using a block off plate. Finally...some progress.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1667
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I topped off my coolant reservoir with some distilled water

Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1668
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Rebuilt forks. May have used the wrong fork oil (5W). The service manual does not specify a fork oil weight ("KAYABA SS-8").

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
I topped off my coolant reservoir with some distilled water
Same here. I reset a fitting at the upper right but I still seem to be leaking from the lower left fitting.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1669
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Took it half way across the country, then back an hour later...

Motorways are no fun

But the last 40 miles where I turned off to find petrol & found twistys to go with it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #1670
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Mined the service manual for torque values and other little things I needed to finish up work on the bike; left to go buy Molybdenum Disulfide grease, service-removable thread locker, disposable funnels (couldn't find any), some 1/2" PVC caps to use as pre-load spacers, 10x1.25mm bolts with sleeves to use as spools, high-temp liquid gasket, etc, etc, etc. The little stuff adds up.

Old March 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1671
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Cleaned and adjusted my drive chain (the thing was more than 2 inches outside the recommended range on the loose side ) and OH!...Since I've decided to go sticker crazy on my bike, I started out with Kawi logos on the underside of main faring and the sides of the front cowl (which I would like to think is unique ).

EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1672
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Cleaned and adjusted my drive chain (the thing was more than 2 inches outside the recommended range on the loose side ) and OH!...Since I've decided to go sticker crazy on my bike, I started out with Kawi logos on the underside of main faring and the sides of the front cowl (which I would like to think is unique ).

Nice bike. Who makes it?

Old March 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #1673
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Changed the front brake pads and gonna give her a good cleaning after the rain.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1674
Joule
ninjette.org member

Name: Tej

Motorcycle(s): Black 2011 Ninja 250R FI

i did .. this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120324_192410.jpg (59.5 KB, 24 views)

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1675
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Yikes!

I was going to install jets into my bike today, but realized I'll have to remove the carbs to do it. Doesn't seem to be possible to do without removing them since I still have the air box.

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1676
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Benji, it's doable, just not fun. take your time and don't get mad at it.

the other option is to just remove the airbox and go with the pod filter

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1677
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I planned on doing the pod filter eventually, but don't have stands for the bike currently. That'll probably be something I do in may. Hopefully it's not too hard to get the carbs out with the air box on. I'v seen a DIY of someone doing it so..

Old March 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1678
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
it took me 5 mins at most... just take off black small fairing... remove air box lid... push the (snorkel out) reseal everything DONE
I read somewhere (maybe another ninja forum) that you have to rejet after taking off the snorkel? is this true? I've been wanting to do this?

As for me, I cleaned and lubed my bike's chain. Waiting on the oil filter to do oil change, and to run through a whole tank with seafoam to change the plugs
edxmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1679
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I read somewhere (maybe another ninja forum) that you have to rejet after taking off the snorkel? is this true? I've been wanting to do this?
main jets *should* be fine, but you should still do some WOT tests to check them. The needles will most likely need to be raised, and the mix screws should be checked.

So yes, re-jetted.

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1680
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Had a really productive day today. I painted the spot where I ground off the kickstand. Finished installing the SV Racing rear sets and Woodcraft clip ons with some lock tite. Made the safety wire choke mod. Reinstalled the gas tank after I picked it up from the painter. Fired it up for the first time since I put on the jet kit and it ran great...woo hoo! I installed the newly painted race bodywork. Put on some Gripster grip pads. And to top it off, I put on some green rim tape

IMG_0595.jpg IMG_0596.jpg
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote