ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Kevlar Armored Hoodies

Looking for input from anyone with experience with these. I'm looking at a hoodie with cotton exterior, full kevlar interior lining, and CE certified elbow, shoulder, and back armor. My intent is to use this for short runs <10 miles with speeds up to 50mph. I've recently added kevlar jeans and I'm looking to add a light upper option for when I want to ride in light gear.

To the well intentioned folks who would advise against anything less than full textile/leather gear, please reserve your input on this thread. I recognize the protection trade off and MAY be willing to accept it depending on just how much protection I'm giving up. I'm just trying to gather input on this particular piece of gear from those who have used them.

Something like this:
http://www.bikersgearuk.com/fully-ke...pproved-armour
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #2
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. I certainly wouldn't want to go down at 50mph wearing one.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #3
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Go on 600rr.net or any other street bike form. You may find a lot more ppl who have used them. But looking at it I can see it getting pulled up really easy and then really how good is it if its not on you as your sliding on the ground.

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm not going to try to talk you out of your fashion choice. But I will ask you to examine that choice objectively and decide for yourself.

There is just one pertinent question you must ask:

If you go down, will the armor (and for that matter, the hoodie itself) stay where it's supposed to, or will it flop around all over the place and be unable to protect you?

Riding gear fits snug for a reason. Jackets and pants zip together for a reason.

Think through what happens when you hit the pavement:

1) There is impact. Assuming you lowside and don't hit an obstacle (e.g. curb, tree), then the actual force of the impact isn't all that great, but it's enough that you really do want armor to prevent bruising, etc.. Of course, if you highside it's a different deal.

2) There is sliding and abrasion. How much depends on how fast you're going and the surface you hit. No matter what, though, the surface along which you are sliding will grab the fabric of your clothing. You, however, will tend to keep moving.

Therefore.... loose-fitting clothing will tend to get yanked all over the place. Slide on your back feet first in a hoodie and it'll probably slide right up your back. Hit your elbow and the sleeve will twist right around. Etc....

No direct experience with this kind of garment because I won't ride in one... just my $0.02 based on common sense.

IMHO these things are more to make you feel good than to actually protect you. There's a demand from people who don't want to look like they're wearing riding gear, so of course the manufacturers will respond. Doesn't mean it's good gear.

So, to answer your central question, which is "how much protection am I giving up?" I'd say "most of it."

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #5
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclegear.com
So what do you do with it (besides look good)? Well, I wouldn’t feel right telling you that this armored jacket is going to do a lot for you in case you hit the pavement at anything more than walking speed. Plain cotton material is stretchy and soft and will shred within inches of a sliding impact with the pavement. The armor might do some good for a split second, but if the shell comes apart immediately there won’t be anything to hold that armor in the places it’s supposed to be as you tumble or slide. That being said… I’ll give you some ideas on a few good uses of this hoody….. of course wearing it casually will give you a lot of use and you’ll look really cool. And if you get in a scuffle you’ll be admiringly resilient when you hit the sidewalk. I can see people wearing it in slow urban traffic (where it might not shred quite so instantly if you fell). Wearing it UNDER a substantial jacket that would have some impact protection, such as a Carhartt (or similar) on your way to work in cooler or cold weather. Buy it to wear under an old favorite leather or textile jacket to give you modern protection and some insulation (take the old armor out of your jacket of course). So, see, I think there are lots of safe uses for this hoody… just not at highway speeds with it only over a tee shirt, please! Take the “View Larger Images” link above and see the photos we took of all the little features and details. :: Paul, 11-19-13
this is a person trying to sell one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'm not going to try to talk you out of your fashion choice.
that's all it really is

Quote:
"how much protection am I giving up?" I'd say "most of it."
if not all

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
the infamous super hoody! that thing will be trashed after 30 feet. and you will be picking gravel out of your back or chest for weeks.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it looks okay style wise

it wouldn't do **** safety wise

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you find one the is also bullet proof let me know.

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #9
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

I get it...all of the potential limitations. Been riding on/off over 14 years so I'm not necessary inexperienced though I still have a lot to gain from the experiences of others on the forum. I'm asking the question to see from those with experience, whether those limitations have been muted or have actually been experienced. I have a bunch of different elements of gear in my system and I do "gear down" at times depending on my planned ride. I don't ride ATGATT, but at minimum I'm in my Rev'it leather jacket, helmet and gloves and most times I'm in my SMX-5 boots. Longer "riskier" trips I will add my riding pants. But I would never ride without a helmet, gloves, and at least some upper body abrasion resistance and padding. Thats the lower limit of my risk acceptance - and that is not up for debate or consideration on this thread.

Just added kevlar denim to the mix and I'm looking for a geared down upper option.

@adouglas - I'm going on the same assumptions as you are at the moment. Wondering if there is any experience to the contrary. I've seen a couple versions of this garment, some offering zip connections and/belt loop connections and a race fit. I'm really looking at something along those lines. A baggy hoodie with a kevlar weave and some foam padding (along the lines of cycle gear's Bilt Iron Workers Hoodie) is not under consideration. Ultimately, my question is how far down the protective spectrum is this jacket/hoodie. Then I will decide whether or not to accept that risk. But right now I am only trying to assess the risk.

P.S. there is nothing more annoying than "it sounds like you've already made up your mind."

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #10
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
this is a person trying to sell one!
Interesting, thanks. Yeah, my intended use would be my city rides and the city I live in spans maybe a square mile. Mostly stoplights, private roads, and speeds mostly 25-45mph. Maybe it would work. I don't think I'd use it as an under layer, I'd just put my leather to use for that.

Consensus seems to be building that the thing is worthless. My other consideration was the Dianese air flux textile. Might just go with that.

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #11
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
P.S. there is nothing more annoying than "it sounds like you've already made up your mind."
There is one thing that's more annoying,.. Asking for people's advice on something then telling them not to give any negative input.

This is a forum that promotes ATGATT, a Kevlar hoodie is not real gear.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
There is one thing that's more annoying,.. Asking for people's advice on something then telling them not to give any negative input.

"it sounds like you have already made up your mind" is not negative input. Its worthless input. Didn't ask people not to give negative input. Simply asked for advice on the gear in question rather than a debate on ATGATT. Plenty of threads on the forum for you to blow hot air. Do it elsewhere.

Everyone else seems to get it. You are the exception.

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post

I believe his intention was to prevent this becoming a flaming ATGATT thread when he was after experience with the specified product. The OP clearly states the tradeoff, he is assessing the risk.

But then again, this is the netz for ya... Riders are free to post their opinions.

The main issues with this piece of gear are; fit (keeping pads in place) and ride up when sliding. While I have no personal experience with products such as these, I have seen "less than leather" pass track day tech and can share what we look for.

Will it ride up?
Is the connection between jacket and pants secure?
Will the sleeves ride up?
Enough skin coverage?
Will the padding/armor stay in place?
Will the gear interfere with the operation of other mandatory gear?
Will the gear interfere with the operation of any mandatory bike components?
Will the gear interfere with the operation of the bike?
Will the gear interfere with the control of the bike?

Also, many of my riding group buddies ride with many different gear combinations. One in particular has a gear setup that may be of interest to you. He wears a MX armor setup under a kevlar hoodie, the same under his kevlar jeans. He understands the risks of the hoodie riding up or sleeves pulling up/away from the wrist area. The MX armor solves the problem of keeping padding in place, belt loop/zippers solve help with the problem of riding up in the front or back but we still haven't found a "acceptable" solution for the sleeves.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #14
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Thanks a lot Chris that's valuable feedback especially given your perspective.

Old March 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I shall reserve my 2¢, as all here now I'm a A.T.G.A.T.T. person.

With that said, Speed & Strength make several types of hoodies that might suit your needs.

Here one for example,
Speed and Strength Moto Mercenary Zip-Up Hoodie - Medium/Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGN2ROM..._3gCevb0F5XVQ0

Let see what Anthony has to say,
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-armored-hoody

Link to original page on YouTube.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
OP, is there a particular reason you prefer a hoodie? Is it the urban look you're going after? Or just the comfort of a light cotton jacket?

Would you consider something like this? Relatively light weight made with mesh/textile. Has a liner for cooler days. And around the $100 price point.

I think it looks pretty good too (subjective of couse) if you want to shy away from the A* or Dainase racer look for your short errand/commute runs.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...on-mesh-jacket

Or if you don't mind the sporty look, this A* jacket is on sale
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...lus-air-jacket

If you don't mind me asking, I'm also curious as to what jacket you're currently wearing for your longer rides.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #17
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
OP, is there a particular reason you prefer a hoodie? Is it the urban look you're going after? Or just the comfort of a light cotton jacket?

Would you consider something like this? Relatively light weight made with mesh/textile. Has a liner for cooler days. And around the $100 price point.

I think it looks pretty good too (subjective of couse) if you want to shy away from the A* or Dainase racer look for your short errand/commute runs.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...on-mesh-jacket

Or if you don't mind the sporty look, this A* jacket is on sale
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...lus-air-jacket

If you don't mind me asking, I'm also curious as to what jacket you're currently wearing for your longer rides.
On my longer rides I wear a rev'it ignition leather and I just added an alpinestars gp leather as well. I generally call myself ATGATT but if I'm being honest there have been times I've gone with less than ATG But Ive never ridden without a proper riding jacket, helmet and gloves. And I can count on one hand the number of times I wasn't wearing full riding boots. Occasionally I'll wear jeans but with Bohn armored pants underneath. So I certainly appreciate the need for gear, and that is my whole reason for asking the question.

I'm looking now for a minimalist setup for my really short rides because I just cannot ride without armor protection. When I say short, I'm talking about the 1.5mile ride to the golf course. Or the jaunt downtown for lunch/dinner which is about 3 miles each way and mostly low speed and stoplights. Lots of on and off the bike stops, that kind of thing.

I don't prefer a hoodie, I just thought is was rather cool looking and I imagine it would be easy to make it disappear once I arrive at my destination. The other option I am now leaning towards is the Dianese Air flux for all the same reasons I was looking at the hoodie.

Old March 24th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #18
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

For what its worth, here is the hoodie I was last considering.

Kevlar lining, CE armor at elbow, shoulders, and back and a tighter fit. But no pant connection zippers.
http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Gear-Armo...rb_top?ie=UTF8

Old March 24th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #19
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Once again no judgments here, but here's a story of a rider whom was going fo a quick ride

I'm posting this with the intention to educate, not scare you.

Quote:

I feel the need to share this posting from the EX-500.COM that happened back in 2009, but it's a timeless story,

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

It's a simple enough story, that went totally wrong, by a fellow forum member by the name of mgbenny*

Here is his first post in the long thread, which has over 30,000 views.

Quote:
So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Right arm:

Left arm. This one bled for 10 hours:

Left hand. Note the missing skin. By now, 2 days later, it's peeled back about another half-inch around the abrasion:

Left leg. These were my good, heavy pants. They lasted about 6 inches:

Shoulder to waist. If you look closely, you can see all the buttons ripped out of the shirt and I dragged on that side. There's gravel so deep on my pec that I'll never get it out:

At home:

The nurse sent extra stuff with Catie so I could get cleaned up too. What she didn't send was the several vials of morphine that Catie had in her when then scrubbed her out. Tylenol isn't the same. I screamed, threw up, and passed out cleaning these. And the whole time I'm dealing with the fact that I knew better and was in control, and I did this to somebody else who did NOT have control. Day 2, and it's not any easier to live with.

I tried to be completely frank about how I'm feeling in an effort to make the truth set in on you guys. I was a literal 2 inches away from killing her, because I thought we didn't need gear to go 5 blocks, and because she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her. Nobody's impressed now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:54:14 AM by mgbenny »
I consider MGBENNY, my close forum friend, and that is why I'm sharing this, along with my other personal friend Britney "QUEEN B" Morrow's story and website (www.rockthegear.org) on all my post as part of my signature.

And why I'm such a strong supporter of her cause, and A.T.G.A.T.T.

If this post saves just one person, it is worth it, and makes one think before riding with no gear.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 24th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

I too have the Bohn bodyguard system, pants, and shirt, love them and fortunately never tested them.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 24th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #21
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Once again no judgments here, but here's a story of a rider whom was going fo a quick ride

I'm posting this with the intention to educate, not scare you.
Ghostt, I know what you mean, always good to remind. I've spent hours on youtube watching moto crash video just to remind myself of the dangers.

That said, I am willing to go with less gear on very short city rides. And by less gear, I don't mean less pieces of gear, I just mean lighter gear with more bias towards comfort and function than what is typical for me.

Old March 24th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
NJ, like you I occasionally to a quick 1 mile each way jaunt, in town, very low speed. In my case it's to the diner for lunch and back.

That's the only time I'm not ATGATT, and the only thing I leave out of the equation is my riding pants. That's a concession to the limits of the lunch hour... even a few minutes changing clothes at either end of the hour tips the equation into "not worth it, just eat at your desk" territory.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of putting on an armored hoodie vs. a jacket. I don't find throwing a jacket on to be inconvenient at all. Gear is gear. What's the difference, besides fashion?

(You know the jacket, same as yours.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #23
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Ghostt, I know what you mean, always good to remind. I've spent hours on youtube watching moto crash video just to remind myself of the dangers.

That said, I am willing to go with less gear on very short city rides. And by less gear, I don't mean less pieces of gear, I just mean lighter gear with more bias towards comfort and function than what is typical for me.
I know what you mean, I have the Bohn gear for that, and also my mesh textile, which is very cool, and comfortable, especially in the summer months.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 24th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #24
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'm not sure I understand the logic of putting on an armored hoodie vs. a jacket. I don't find throwing a jacket on to be inconvenient at all. Gear is gear. What's the difference, besides fashion?

(You know the jacket, same as yours.)
Yep, same jacket. I ride with a non-lockable tail bag on my rear seat. I was thinking hoodie because I could fold it up and fit it in my tail bag. Neither of my jackets fit in the tail bag. Plus it stays on the bike and doesn't get locked. Don't want to leave my 300 and 400 jackets open to theft. I didn't think anyone watching me stash a hoodie in my bag would be tempted to steal it. And if they did, oh well not a huge loss.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #25
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
An armored hoodie probably wouldn't be as packable as you think once you factor in the armor. It's really the armor that causes the bulkiness of gear.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Off topic: For those of us who are ATGATT, isn't it a wild and weird (and even "feels" wrong to me) when riding with no helmet and no gloves.

I started the bike up for the first time yesterday. I wanted to just take a spin up and down the block (dead end street) just to make sure I still know how to ride.

But the feeling of not wearing a helmet & gloves just bothered me tremendously. It just felt so off. I guess it's the same feeling of not wearing a seat belt for those of us who click it on all the time.

Back on topic: I'm with everyone here. I wouldn't do the hoodie just because I know it will most likely ride up if I ever go for a slide on the ground.

It's just not worth it for me.

Good luck with your decision. Only you know the roads you ride on and the speeds which you'll be traveling. Either way, no judgment from me.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #27
Ghostt
in your machine

I must admit that I would love riding without a helmet, in a perfect world we could all ride naked

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #28
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
I must admit that I would love riding without a helmet, in a perfect world we could all ride naked
I know a few females I wouldn't mind watching riding naked.
I want you to be ATGATT though.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #29
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
I know a few females I wouldn't mind watching riding naked.
I want you to be ATGATT though.
Is that because you don't want to see @Ghostt naked?

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #30
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Is that because you don't want to see @Ghostt naked?
yes safety first! for my eyes!!

As to the OP some people will never go down. As for me- Tooling around town, Sure I would be likely to ride in reduced gear including a plain hoody, never EVER without helmet, boots or good gloves though. Look at that unfortunate MOTO racer- helmet and gear. Even Atgatt can't always save you.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #31
Ghostt
in your machine

Riders are like prom dates, some have been down, some haven't yet

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #32
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Thanks everyone for the responses. Helped me make up my mind. In the end I'm going to find a mesh/textile option instead of the hoodie primarily because of the fact that I haven't found a hoodie with kevlar, armor and pants straps. If I found the trifecta for around $100 then I would consider it a viable option for my intended use (though tfkrocks makes a good point about packability).

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #33
Ghostt
in your machine

I'm sure some company will make it sooner or later, you might want to drop Speed & Strength an e-mail suggesting such a garment.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #34
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

Spidi just came out with a great armored hoodie. It looks good plus offers excellent protection - for a hoodie that is. Check it out: http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...or-jacket.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spidi-hoodie-armor-t191-protectors.jpg (76.7 KB, 1 views)
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #35
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Ouch at the $200 pricetag!!!

Old March 26th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #36
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
Spidi just came out with a great armored hoodie. It looks good plus offers excellent protection - for a hoodie that is. Check it out: http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...or-jacket.html
Looks like you are being attacked by turtles or giant beetles.

Old March 26th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #37
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Looks nice but the lack of real textile outer material kills it. I don't have faith in something with an outer layer of "softcell"???

Woulda been a nice jacket otherwise.

I swear it should be easier to find decent gear that looks a little less conspicuous.

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #38
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If it had a kevlar lining, and pants connection zips I'd be more likely to purchase. And at $189 is doesn't even include the back protector with will run another $60. For $250 I should be getting a bit more protection.

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #39
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
If it had a kevlar lining, and pants connection zips I'd be more likely to purchase. And at $189 is doesn't even include the back protector with will run another $60. For $250 I should be getting a bit more protection.
Did anyone else notice that one of the uses is for scooters?? Which might make better sense due to their speeds most of the time, but for $250 USD it's a bit steep for me. If I had to choose this style I would probably go with the Speed & Strength one, at half the price.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #40
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that one of the uses is for scooters?? Which might make better sense due to their speeds most of the time, but for $250 USD it's a bit steep for me. If I had to choose this style I would probably go with the Speed & Strength one, at half the price.
Yeah but I'd rather have abrasion resistance than armor. I could always go with a strap on back protector or bohn armor shirt underneath for armor. Harder to go the other way in my opinion. Unless you have a loose enough fitting abrasion resistant jacket to put over (which I do not).