ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Hit A Dog Yesterday

Hit a dog on my long way home yesterday from the library (2miles away) This happened 4 houses away from mine. It was one of those little yappy terrier dogs. He booked out from behind some parked cars in a driveway. At the same time I saw him running out I hear a woman yell and I pulled and pressed my brakes. All 3 things happened at the same exact time. The dog didn't die, and i didn't crash the bike, but it's still a crash it my mind because we made contact. He ran right out directly in front of me, stopped, and started barking like he was going to scare me off...dumb dog. I don't know how i didn't roll over top of him, It was one of those times when things start going in slow motion, you just KNOW your're going to hit it as you get closer, then it dissapears from sight because you're so close and start anticipating the "bump"....but no bump ever happened.... He did get hit by the left fork, my foot, and left foot peg. He got knocked down and rolled around a bit, and let out a yelp/cry.

The woman didn't even seem to car. She picked up him, put him in her truck then checked the oil on her truck all while the dog was barking like crazy. Glad he didn't die and I'm glad I didn't drop the bike or get hurt myself.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Cool story bro
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Cool story bro
Thanks man, you seem like a great guy.

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

The important part is that no one got seriously injured. I die a little inside every time I kill a squirrel. I couldn't imagine taking out a cat or a dog. That's the worst situation since animals seem to make horrible split second decisions and all you can do is wait for the inevitable to happen.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
........Glad he didn't die and I'm glad I didn't drop the bike or get hurt myself.
Great save !!!

A related article:

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...ooby_traps.htm

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

The woman didn't even seem to car. She picked up him, put him in her truck then checked the oil on her truck all while the dog was barking like crazy. Glad he didn't die and I'm glad I didn't drop the bike or get hurt myself.
It's not that the woman didn't care, it's that there is a leash law and she would have been at fault for any damage to you and your bike. She was ignoring you hoping you would not press charges.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; June 18th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It's not that the woman didn't care, it's that there is a leash law and she would have been at fault for any damage to you and your bike. She was ignoring you hoping you would press charges.
Thats probably right!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Ktam
ninjette.org member

Name: Kelvin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Rule of thumb...if the dog isn't knee level it's not worth dodging - actually classified as an enlarged rat. 90 Degrees all the way Animal lovers don't go PITA all over me...
Ktam is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #9
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's not that the woman didn't care, it's that there is a leash law and she would have been at fault for any damage to you and your bike. She was ignoring you hoping you would not press charges.
When I finally came to a stop, that's the first thing that came to mind. "Why is this dog not on a leash, and isn't it a law that he needs to be?"

I also don't have insurance on my motorcycle. One of the things I thought about was, would I have been liable for this if the dog had died? How would I pay for it? ...then again the dog wasn't on the leash. I probably would have a fighting chance. Glad I didn't have to cross that bridge though.

Also, I was only going about 20mph. Immediately after the incident I parked the bike and walked up to her. As I was walking up she had her back to me the whole time. Probably reinforces what you're saying CC Cowboy. She told me he is always chasing after motorcycles. I will have to keep an eye on this house when I pass it.

I wish I had the nerve to say something to that woman along the lines of what the man in that article motofool posted said.

Years ago my father hit a dog on his Harley. The dog was killed, my dad thrown from the bike, and the handle bars and forks were twisted.

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Trying to avoid it will only destabilise you, if you hit it while changing direction it will probably unseat you. If it's a small animal like that give it a blast of the horn to try to get it to run out of the way, but keep your machine upright, and don't change course. If anything loosen up on the bike, stand up a little & deal with it like a speed bump.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
The important part is that no one got seriously injured. I die a little inside every time I kill a squirrel. I couldn't imagine taking out a cat or a dog. That's the worst situation since animals seem to make horrible split second decisions and all you can do is wait for the inevitable to happen.
I took a cat out in my car once. Felt pretty bad about it
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Glad you are ok, dog wil be fine.
Yep brace for impact, kind of hate doing to squirrels in my area but good practice nonetheless.

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Dude why you hit brakes you through away a perfect opportunity to score 10 points
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #14
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
When I finally came to a stop, that's the first thing that came to mind. "Why is this dog not on a leash, and isn't it a law that he needs to be?"

I also don't have insurance on my motorcycle. One of the things I thought about was, would I have been liable for this if the dog had died? How would I pay for it? ...then again the dog wasn't on the leash. I probably would have a fighting chance. Glad I didn't have to cross that bridge though.

Years ago my father hit a dog on his Harley. The dog was killed, my dad thrown from the bike, and the handle bars and forks were twisted.
Good job on the save sounds like you did the right thing. I would advise getting insurance if you can afford it (mine is $23/month for full coverage). Imagine if you would have hurt yourself and destroyed your bike, it would be a terrible headache to try to sue the dog's owner let alone get paid if there was a settlement decision.

All of my friends around here in Florida that ride don't carry any insurance because it's not legally required, stupid move in my opinion. I got hurt in a car accident a while back and insurance is definitely helpful. Too much insurance is never a bad thing either just ask @Jiggles

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Pff who needs insurance! Just ask @tfkrocks
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Good job on the save sounds like you did the right thing. I would advise getting insurance if you can afford it (mine is $23/month for full coverage). Imagine if you would have hurt yourself and destroyed your bike, it would be a terrible headache to try to sue the dog's owner let alone get paid if there was a settlement decision.

All of my friends around here in Florida that ride don't carry any insurance because it's not legally required, stupid move in my opinion. I got hurt in a car accident a while back and insurance is definitely helpful. Too much insurance is never a bad thing either just ask @Jiggles
I am glad insurance is required in my state, I can imagine that so many would be roaming the streets. My insurance w/Allstate is 150 yearly excluding collision. Collision would be another $60- I also got comp, medical &towing.

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #17
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Pff who needs insurance! Just ask @tfkrocks
What happened to @tfkrocks do I even want to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
I am glad insurance is required in my state, I can imagine that so many would be roaming the streets. My insurance w/Allstate is 150 yearly excluding collision. Collision would be another $60- I also got comp, medical &towing.
It makes me fear riding around others, there's so many squids around here that will come fly past me trying to show off which scares me enough on its own but it's even worse knowing that they probably don't have any insurance.

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

It makes me fear riding around others, there's so many squids around here that will come fly past me trying to show off which scares me enough on its own but it's even worse knowing that they probably don't have any insurance.
Get underinsured/uninsured, thats what its for.
AFM #676

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #19
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:

She bought a brand new 300 5 months ago and got hit by a car. She somehow got screwed because the officer reported her at fault. She didnt have full coverage and so now she has a bike that probably needs 4k in repairs( steering head is bent 25ish degrees and subframe is fuxored.) but no one wants to touch the bike with a 10ft pole.

I have full coverage and I pay 500ish a year. I can't afford to fix my bike if someone hits it or I crash it. It may be a inexpensive bike but 4 or 5 grand ain't exactly pocket change.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #20
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Get underinsured/uninsured, thats what its for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
She bought a brand new 300 5 months ago and got hit by a car. She somehow got screwed because the officer reported her at fault. She didnt have full coverage and so now she has a bike that probably needs 4k in repairs( steering head is bent 25ish degrees and subframe is fuxored.) but no one wants to touch the bike with a 10ft pole.

I have full coverage and I pay 500ish a year. I can't afford to fix my bike if someone hits it or I crash it. It may be a inexpensive bike but 4 or 5 grand ain't exactly pocket change.
That doesn't sound like a fun time

I have underinsured/uninsured along with collision, comprehensive all that good stuff

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #21
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
At least I carry more than minimum liability for what happens to other people
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You can't trust people

Link to original page on YouTube.

Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #23
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Cool story bro
Sometimes I forget why I like you. And then you do stuff like this.

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #24
headshrink

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktam View Post
Rule of thumb...if the dog isn't knee level it's not worth dodging - actually classified as an enlarged rat. 90 Degrees all the way Animal lovers don't go PITA all over me...
I went to upvote you, then realized this wasn't reddit....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #25
az3200
ninjette.org member

why the hate? Thought us ninjette riders stick together but I guess not. I looked at both your profiles and blogs. I too could find negative things to say, but I won't

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #26
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktam View Post
If you love your dog/cat, keep it in your yard.

In my car years ago, I hit a raccoon that ran across the road in front of me. I swerved to go around it, and it lost it's nerve and doubled back at just the wrong time. Since then I don't dodge things that are small. On the bike I'd have to quickly assess if it would destabilise me, not how much it would hurt the animal.... the animal that will probably jump out of the way just in time.

Also, years ago my grandmother who lived on a 400 acre farm hit a neighbor's pig. She brought the car down to my parents house and stayed with us while it was getting fixed. One of my "city friends" came over and saw her car and asked what caused it. I told him that granny hit a pig. He was dumbfounded and said "how'd she do that? Weren't the blue lights on?"

Old June 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM   #27
az3200
ninjette.org member

I passed by the dog and the lady again today. This has only been the second time I've seen them. The dog was actually on a leash this time. Rolled past them at about 15-20mph, the woman kept her back to me the entire time, and the dog coward behind her while peeking at me from between the owners legs. Seems he learned a lesson as well

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #28
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
why the hate? Thought us ninjette riders stick together but I guess not. I looked at both your profiles and blogs. I too could find negative things to say, but I won't
This whole post is negative! Looking up profiles and blogs and then complaining. Shame on you!

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM   #29
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This whole post is negative! Looking up profiles and blogs and then complaining. Shame on you!
Wasn't meant to be positive, Einstein.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Wasn't meant to be positive, Einstein.
Jiggles finds this post ironic.
AFM #676

Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #31
az3200
ninjette.org member

I'm sorry, I want to apologize before this gets out of hand. I shouldn't have said anything and if I could go back and completely delete those posts, I would. You see, it was a long day for me, and I have been stressed lately with being unemployed. Thankfully my situation has turned around and I start work again next week...but Ill stop making excuses for my childish posts now. I don't have any friends that ride..but I LOVE my motorcycle, motorcycles, and every thing motorcycling in general. I come here to read about experiences, learn, for fun, and to share my experiences with people who share the same interests. I just don't understand why I'm being attacked and belittled? I don't feel like this was a spam post, I wanted to recount my experience of hitting an animal, someones pet. Aside from a few responses, I've gotten much better feedback here than from the few people I've told in real life who can't offer any type of insight or similar experiences. So, Thanks.

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day. Ride safe.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #32
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Apology accepted. Kids!

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I almost hit a black bear this past weekend, how many points would I get for that?
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:15 AM   #34
headshrink

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
I almost hit a black bear this past weekend, how many points would I get for that?
If you live, as many as you want.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:28 AM   #35
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
It be epic if you did hit it live then get torn apart by the bear.

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM   #36
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Glad you didn't dump the bike, that would have been much worse than running over the dog. Sorry, but that dog's a dumbass
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM   #37
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Name: Ziva

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Glad you didn't hit the dog. Here in Oregon, they consider small animals obstacles and yes, they really do teach you to hit them rather than attempting to avoid them....They call it "surmounting the obstacle". With dogs specifically, they tell you to slow down at first, wait until the dog is close and then speed up as you will cause the dog to change it's intercept course at the last moment and avoid hitting the animal most of the time.

Hopefully both the owner of that dog and the dog learned a valuable lesson. I couldn't imagine anything worse than trying to explain to a pet owner why their pet is injured and or deceased.
Obsidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #38
Dustinh1989
ninjette.org member

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 11' SE 250R

Well glad he didnt die and you didnt drop the bike.
Dustinh1989 is offline   Reply With Quote