ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

helmet question

So I just read somewhere that if you drop your helmet AT ALL you have to replace it. I sat my helmet on my bike at a gas station and the wind knocked it off and sent it roiling a bit. there is a scratch on the top and the visor is scratched but i don't see any other damage. I have an EXO 500 helmet
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
A helmet is designed to take a single hit with max protection, but love taps do not really count. I am sure there are some links that provide some numbers of the amount of lbs psi that invalidates the safety ability of a helmet, but in all honesty and reality... if there isn't a fairly decent amount of ninjette members who have dropped their helmet or it fell and used it anyway, then I would be surprised. I have seen many helmets fall from bikes, chairs, benches, car/truck hoods, ect, while at the track. They wear them anyway and.......... they still do their job.

Visually inspect it, take the padding out and check the inner foam layer, be mindful of the fitment over the next few rides. If it, starts to feel different "all of a sudden", then it is junk. There is no real way we can definitively tell you if you need a new one or not, it's gunna be your call based on the inspection and feel.

But, if there is a doubt about your gear... ANY of it, helmet or not. Replace it! It's YOUR head.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

If there are no cracks in the outer shell and the EPS looks intact, I would agree with Chris that it's likely fine. Helmets are designed to take impacts with a head inside, so small impact like you've described, while not necessarily inconsequential, are typically nothing to worry about beyond a close inspection afterward.

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Snell Foundation says:

Quote:
"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"

Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.
http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #5
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head.
I can get behind a recommendation like that

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Damage to the outer shell is one thing, damage to the inner liner is something else.

When a helmet gets an impact with your head inside the liner absorbs the impact by crushing down. When that happens the helmet is junk.

With a drop the outer shell takes some impact, but the inner liner does not.

I personally think a helmet is fine after a drop, but it's up to you.

I absolutely never, ever, set my helmet on the seat or tank. It always sits on the ground or a helmet hook if I take it off.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #7
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I believe that Arai's stand is that unless there is a head in the helmet when it falls you're in the clear.

The big concept has already been covered above, it's the EPS foam that saves your head and it doesn't compress when your helmet falls off your bike.

On a side note, don't leave your helmet on your bike or hanging from the handle bar.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
........there is a scratch on the top and the visor is scratched but i don't see any other damage.......
If the scratch on the visor compromises your clear vision, especially at night, it is time to replace the visor.

Carefully check the pivot points, see if they firmly keep the visor attached to the shell when in the closed position.

The top of the tank is a bad spot due to the fumes of gasoline emanating from the vent of the gas cap.

See what is inside the helmet, besides your head:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207260

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Short answer is no, one drop from gas tank high onto a hard surface does not render the helmet useless.

longer answer.

In ages past some people would reuse their helmet after a crash or impact. Most often seen in non-professional racing where bangs and wacks were a normal part of racing and if you didn't have a helmet sponsor... replacing a helmet after every race or few races got expensive.

Helmet construction 411. Outer shell, inner expanded foam (super simple). Outer shell protected against penetration of sharp objects, inner foam absorbed energy of the crash and spread the impact over a much larger area of your skull.

the outer shells have gone from hard plastic like a foot ball helmet, through a fiber glass type shell, to a Kevlar epoxy resin composite. Modern helmets may use any and all of the above today. My GT-Air has hard plastic with a resin composite under that.

EPS (expanded poly styrene) inner shell. This is the same stuff those foam coffee cups are made out of. It absorbs energy and spreads out an impact.

so the things that can go wrong... this includes a full on head impacting crash, to... you guessed it, dropping your helmet in the drive way.

Outer shell will de-laminate, during an impact. It will be seen as the traditional "spider web" at the impact site. the helmet did it's job, took the wack, it busted instead of your head. Any crack, split, spider web means the helmet has done it's job, but will not be able to do it properly a second or third time... replace. It is also assumed that over time, putting the helmet on and taking it off will apply stress to the outer shell that will de-laminate it a little, reducing it's ability to protect. Manufactures recommend replacement of a helmet after 5 years even if it hasn't sustained an crash impact. (they also like to sell as many $800 helmets as they can)

inner shell. EPS will be affected by things like gas fumes, cleaning chemicals, even sweat and that weird hair jell stuff Corksil uses. However EPS can be crushed a little at a time by hard things being placed in your helmet. Putting your helmet on a rear view mirror will put little dents in the EPS over time. Gloves with hard armor on the fingers or knuckles that are stuffed in the helmet over and over again can dent the EPS. As has been said, setting the helmet on the tank (right over the fill/vent) will allow gas fumes to attack the EPS.

the better and more expensive the helmet, the more those types of damage over time have been engineered out of the helmet. Hard plastic shell over a composite protect the composite from little dings. Inner liners and comfort pads protect the EPS from dings and damage.

that being said...

ANY HELMET THAT HAS ACTUALLY SUSTAINED CRASH DAMAGE MUST BE REPLACED.

now go and ride safe.

Old May 19th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
and that weird hair jell stuff Corksil uses.
quoted for an achievement later...

i am so behind

Old May 19th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

1. I didn't think anyone would actually read all that and...

2. I really didn't think anyone would catch my little Corksil funny.

csmith, good eyes and grey cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
quoted for an achievement later...

i am so behind

Old May 19th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #12
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

2. I really didn't think anyone would catch my little Corksil funny.

csmith, good eyes and grey cells.
@csmith12 achievement unlocked: EAGLE EYES!

Old May 20th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
@csmith12 achievement unlocked: EAGLE EYES!
Your img link is broken so I just made this one instead. Thanks!

Old May 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to Gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2016, 07:46 AM   #15
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Your img link is broken so I just made this one instead. Thanks!

Here you go and congrats!
Attached Images
File Type: gif eagle-smiley-emoticon.gif (623 Bytes, 47 views)