ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Zinn209
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Emily

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Ugggggggh. Now what?

So... I've fallen a couple times this summer, both gravel incidents and the last one left me with some serious road rash and my baby is in need of a couple hundred bucks in repairs. I don't know whether I should give up riding altogether or fix 'er up and keep going. This is my first year of riding and I can't believe I've already laid it down twice. I loooooooove riding and don't want to stop but I feel like this might be a sign that I should move on to the safer 4-wheeled alternative? Advice??
Zinn209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinn209 View Post
So... I've fallen a couple times this summer, both gravel incidents and the last one left me with some serious road rash and my baby is in need of a couple hundred bucks in repairs. I don't know whether I should give up riding altogether or fix 'er up and keep going. This is my first year of riding and I can't believe I've already laid it down twice. I loooooooove riding and don't want to stop but I feel like this might be a sign that I should move on to the safer 4-wheeled alternative? Advice??
Do you understand (clearly) what you did wrong both times you crashed? If not, hmm! It might be a good idea to get more riding instruction. If you know what you did wrong great! Take that experience and build it into your everyday riding. But, it might still be a good idea to get some more riding instruction.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Zinn209
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Emily

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Yup, I do know what happened both times and I took a course right from the start. Just not sure if I should bother continuing to ride or call it a phase and move on.
Zinn209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

well, my vote would be to keep riding. I came to riding late in life (in my thirties). In some respects, that was good because I was (perhaps) a little more sensible. But, in other respects it was bad because I missed out on YEARS of riding.

I love riding a bike. Really love it. Couldn't imagine not doing it.

Do you love riding your bike? If so, you've got to keep on riding.

But ... it might still be a good idea to get more instruction. Find a good instructor and do a few hours of 1-on-1. When I moved from the USA to the UK, I had to re-take my test. It was a PITA. Been riding for more than a decade, but had to start from zero. But, I was surprised how much I learned from the instructors.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Emily!

As with any activity that requires focus, skills, timing and a certain regard for not wanting to get hurt, mistakes are to be human. I say fix it up and ride on.

As others have said, you can never go wrong with further training. Get on a dirt bike, gear up and own the gravel. Sure it's loose, sure it slides around a bit, and for sure it triggers some fears but it can be tamed and mentally conquered. Once you get the hang of the skills, the fears turn to into fun & smiles and that is when you have beaten gravel and similar loose surfaces.

What is it about gravel that makes you feel this way?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........I loooooooove riding and don't want to stop but I feel like this might be a sign that I should move on to the safer 4-wheeled alternative? Advice??
Welcome to our site, Emily !!!

If you have to ask, you love riding, but not enough.

Just in case you decide you are really passionate about this, please visit our Riding Skills section: you don't need to crash to learn to ride or to ride well.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

How did the serious road rash occur; are you comfortable with the amount and type of protective gear you're using on the motorcycle?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Why ride on gravel? Is it in unknown roads? Are you turning too tight to the curb or too much speed into the turns?
We tend to have some sand gather in the the streets around here but mainly on side roads that I would avoid after snow or in the spring.
Figure it out and keep riding.

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Figure out why you crashed. Determine if you can learn from it and avoid crashes like that in the future.

After you are further along in the healing process. Try to make an objective self assessment about your skill level and your appetite for risk. Then figure out what to do.

Riding isn't for everyone. That being said if you are going to have doubts it's pretty common to have them after a drop.

Take some time, reflect, and then figure it out.

Good luck.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How did the serious road rash occur; are you comfortable with the amount and type of protective gear you're using on the motorcycle?
This. I had a similar experience (documented in a thread on here somewhere) where I crashed at low speed after the front tire washed out on a patch of gravel.

I was wearing a full textile suit and CE-rated race boots, and my pride and confidence were injured far worse than my body, or even the bike. I actually rode the bike the 15 miles home after that incident.

As others have suggested, my advice is to figure out what you're doing wrong that gets you into these crashes, and work to correct that habit. My guess is that it may have to do with a failure to scan the road far enough ahead, so you're having to react to surface hazards at the last second. For what it's worth, you should be doing that when driving a car too. In auto racing schools, this is one of the first things they teach you. Unfortunately, the MSF course sort of glosses over it, as they're not usually equipped to teach this habit very well in a parking lot.

Also, welcome aboard.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Crash bars! Stop crashing parties at bars. I mean get crash bars like stunters use. Wear crash proof gear. Never give up.

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Never ever ever give up on something you love. Very few ever start riding and don't crash. I have yet to crash at any speed ( knock on wood), I dropped my first bike three times in the first six months. For stupid reasons, too. Stand up, shake it off, and apply what you learned.
I strongly second the opinion of getting on a dirt bike to learn and get some additional instruction. I had about 6k miles under my belt on the bike when I took an instructional day at the local track. The ability to apply the information was exponentially increased in comparison to when one is just starting off. I'm contemplating taking the same class again next year just to learn even more.

Bottom line, if you enjoy riding don't give up. Rash on the bike is character and a story of learning experiences.

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #13
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Hi Emily,

I've had a couple drops, but my first crash was a fast one at the track. I think the important thing is to figure out how much you love riding, and if it's really worth it to you. If you decide to keep going with it, I agree with many of the opinions previously stated: seek education and keep practicing. After my track crash (after which I kept riding, in spite of a broken wrist ), I learned a lot about responding to the unexpected/things outside of my control. That alone recently saved my butt over the weekend, when riding ACH, even at an easy pace. I still consider myself a total neophyte, but as long as you takes steps to learn from each experience and wear appropriate/adequate protective gear, I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of crashes.

Granted, this is me speaking without knowing the details of the aforementioned crashes.

TLDR: If you love riding enough, seek education and learn from mistakes. Also, wear adequate protective gear.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Thumb up for using neophyte in a post. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

If you wanna ride, keep at it. Learn from your mistakes and try again.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

If you really love it, you can't give up. It's not really an option.
We can't answer whether you love it enough or not for you.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
Do you understand (clearly) what you did wrong both times you crashed? If not, hmm! It might be a good idea to get more riding instruction. If you know what you did wrong great! Take that experience and build it into your everyday riding. But, it might still be a good idea to get some more riding instruction.
riding instruction is always worth it, I'm always looking for more.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #18
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Keep riding. Why?

This...

Quote:
I loooooooove riding and don't want to stop
BUT, there are some things to address; which have already been mentioned by others. First thing's first, do you have gear? How often do you wear it? The answer should be "always", especially if you are worried about falling again.

Seems that n00bs like us tend to crash in the same ways, and they're usually avoidable. So, it's also important to understand what caused your crashes. Also, read a lot (if not ALL) of the threads in this section of the forum. It'll help you learn from others' mistakes, and will give you some hints on how to avoid them.

Can you tell us what happened in your crashes? There are a lot of really experienced riders on the forum that will give you some ideas on what to work to prevent them in the future.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #19
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Hey Emily! and

You're not alone in crashing.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913

Like others have said, if you're not already wearing gear, get some and WEAR it, the best leather jacket saves no skin hanging in the closet. Also, learn from your mistakes but even better is learn from all of ours and others. There's a treasure trove of information on this site, and the members will answer any questions you have, and mostly go more in depth on the topic than you can imagine.

I think if you really love it, the best course is to learn as much as you can so you can safely enjoy it for years to come. Good luck
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote