ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #1
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

Involved in a accident

Hey guys,

I was rear ended this morning. Minor scratch on leg and hand. Other than that I'm ok. Impact dropped me off my bike. Bike: Broken taillight, broken left signal, cracked side panel and tail. I was recording at the time (GoPro) but it's mounted on the chin of my helmet. Also there were 2 police officers on motorcycle that saw the whole thing. With that being said. Anyone that has had an accident while still owing the bike, what happens next? as far as insurance?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acc2.jpg (83.6 KB, 24 views)
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
damage seems pretty minor. i don't see why owing on the bike would make any difference to what would happen. your insurance gets money from the other guys insurance. then they give you the money to fix the bike. then you fix the bike.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #4
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

With the cops on hand, I'm assuming that you got a police report of the incident? If so you should be pretty set. If you haven't already, give your insurance agent a call and report it to them ASAP. They should handle all the footwork in filing the claim against the other guy's insurance and instruct you on what to do next. Possibly have you bring it to an authorized shop for work, but better to ask them than us
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah, just from the one pictures it doesn't look like it will be totaled. Unless there is a lot more damage that can not be seen.

In this case, since you are not at fault, their insurance company should pay for everything. you will take it for an estimate, send that estimate to their insurance company and they will send you a check for that amount. Do whatever you want with it.

cash it, use money to fix bike, use money to go to strip club, use money on drugs, use money to buy samurai sword, the choice is yours.

Sometimes you can use money to fix the vehicle and get it done for a lot less than the estimate was and and have some left over to pocket.

You will continue paying on the bike like normal.

If it was totaled, you would use money from accident to pay off bike if you were smart and do whatever with the rest.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #6
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Don't forget to have them cover any gear you were wearing.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Glad you weren't seriously hurt! As others have suggested: get your insurance co. involved and make sure you everything that was damaged including your gear. It's fortunate that the offending party had insurance and that you had good witnesses.
Were you stopped when you got rear-ended ?

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #8
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the suggestions.

There were like 4 cars in front of me to making a left turn on green arrow. Obviously I had to stop when it turned red. Some reason he thought I was going to take it. Landed on train tracks. Thank God no train was passing

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Old_Six_Fitty
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): DL1000 V-Strom, KLR650

Glad you're basically okay.

What were you wearing for protective gear?
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #10
checho323
ninjette.org guru

I had my usual. Scorpion helmet and jacket. I don't wear boots or at least not yet.

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #11
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by checho323 View Post
I had my usual. Scorpion helmet and jacket. I don't wear boots or at least not yet.
About a week after I bought boots I dropped the bike hard on my foot. Boots are a really good idea.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #12
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
About a week after I bought boots I dropped the bike hard on my foot. Boots are a really good idea.
Yep. Looking into purchasing some

Old January 17th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by checho323 View Post
............There were like 4 cars in front of me to making a left turn on green arrow. Obviously I had to stop when it turned red. Some reason he thought I was going to take it............
He may have assumed so by your speed and distance; some drivers can make accurate assumptions, most cannot.
Besides keeping a healthy distance from all cars and trucks around us, our job as street riders is to make our intentions very obvious, for whoever is paying attention and cares.

Whenever you estimate that you cannot make the light, slowdown as much as possible while keeping an eye on the car following you and finding at least one escape path.
Also, positioning the bike off the center of the lane may give you a chance to escape or for the driver to avoid hitting you.

I hope you fix the bike quickly and easily and keep on riding.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #14
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

That happened to me not too long ago. Less damage than yours but I bought some Sidi boots for $50 on ebay a few days later. Good idea to get those boots.

Old January 17th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your crash and glad you're ok.

+1 on the boots

You can buy new fairings, you can buy a new bike but you can't buy a new body.

P.S. I like the look of that under-tail sticker.

Old January 18th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
smells like fender eliminator and smoked brake light...

glad you are okay. I'm sure it will work out fine, this looks like minor damage

Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:34 AM   #17
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Often times the lien holder will require that you actually repair the damage, since the bike is the collateral and if you default they want the full undamaged value. They do this in a variety of ways, such as requiring the insurance company to issue the check with both your name and the repair shop's name on it so that both will have to sign to cash the check. Your loan contract will likely have a clause that requires that you get any and all damage repaired, so you should look into this.

You have the choice to take it to anyone you want to have it repaired, and mostly likely (depending on the various contracts you have with the lender and insurance company) will have the option to do the repairs yourself.

You start off by contacting the other party's insurance and arranging to have an adjuster to come out and look at the bike. "Adjuster" is just another way of saying estimator, and that person will examine the bike and determine the estimated cost of repairs. The adjuster represents the insurance company, and you are free to have someone of your own to also estimate the repair costs.

Even if you don't you should do your own research to confirm the adjuster's estimate; often times insurance companies have a nasty habit of underestimating the repair costs under the assumption that you'll just take the money and run rather than actually repair the damage. In this case the insurance company wins because they pay less than actual costs, and if you do have it repaired then the repair facility just gets a supplemental to cover the repairs that were not in the original estimate. Supplementals are a normal thing in the repair industry so from the insurance company's point of view they'd just be paying what was owed.

Generally speaking, a vehicle is considered totaled if the estimated cost of repair is roughly two-thirds of the market value of it at that particular moment. Because of the low market value of used bikes and the high cost of replacement parts it's often the case that a bike may be totaled even though it appears mostly intact and is quite rideable.

Unlike with automobiles, adjusters typically use the costs of brand new OEM parts when estimating. This is because there isn't a well-established aftermarket for used motorcycle parts as there is with cars and trucks.

Anyhow, there will be two checks issued. One is for the repair of the bike itself, and the other will be for incidentals such as rental car while the bike is in the shop, replacement of any and all damaged gear and accessories, and the cost for you to go see a doctor to be checked out.

If the adjuster's initial estimate totals the bike (not likely in this case) you have lots of options, including negotiating an alternative settlement. In my case I was hit head-on at a stop sign by a person turning into the wrong side of the road. The bike was legitimately totaled as the fairings, lights, front fender, and gas tank all sustained significant damage. However, rather than accept the first offer from the insurance company I decided to accept a lower amount and keep the bike with a clear title (no salvage notation) because it was in early January and replacement used bikes were not for sale anywhere, and I didn't want to wait weeks or months for another bike to come up for sale. I also had the parts and knowledge to fix the bike, which I did that weekend, and got back on the road within ten days. I still got paid more than what the bike cost me to buy and repair, so I wasn't out anything. They even covered car rental for that week.

Anyway, good luck!
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:09 PM   #18
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Frugal said it all... I know from my 250 lowside, about $2000-2500 was their total limit.
They only did not total it out as I guaranteed, and had to prove, OEM parts where purchased and replaced by myself.

Taking the shop cost out saved me there...

The Fz6r, was more related as I was also rear-ended.
Visually it didn't look too bad...it was a total write off.

Are you dealing w/ your insurance company, or the other parties?
Either way, a lawyer be good idea, I did not bother w one, and pretty much screwed myself from being really compensated as I should of.
All in all, they basically just paid of bike, and I got the extra money from my gear and left w/o a bike and no way of getting another.
I did not want to make it a 'payday' event type issue and had faith the Ins Co would appreciate that and I would at least get a replacement bike that was only 6mos old!!
DO not follow my mistakes PLZ! Make that Ins company either fully OEM spec repair bike or replace it (some ins have this as option, depending how old bike is) or if pay it off, make sure you have enough to get another bike!

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #19
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly. Good luck fixing her up...

Old February 10th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #20
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

I would contact the insurance company regarding any injuries.. get money and take your friend (Lt) out for sushi or something..

Old February 11th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #21
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Glad you are Ok!

Old February 11th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #22
QuickSiR
ninjette.org member

Name: Maxime

Motorcycle(s): Honda 599

Post GoPro video please.