ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Lets Talk Median Barriers

This is something I never really thought too much about until today. I saw on the news that a motorcyclist was killed by a cable median barrier this afternoon.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...torcycle-crash

I mean, I've thought about how terrible it would be to hit one of these cable median barriers in a car but I hadn't really wanted to think about hitting one on a bike. Today I did. And I'm kinda terrified. If you hit one of these barriers at any decent speed you will be losing limbs or worse.

I know, I know. Just don't hit them. But **** happens and when that **** happens it would be nice if there weren't cables ready to cut you in half just a few feet from the road. I know regular old guardrails can be just as deadly but they still seem quite a bit more forgiving than the cable type. At least with the old barriers your body has a chance to fly over the railing instead of your body going through a cheese grater for humans.

I can't believe how close the guardrail was to the road where this accident occurred today. It looks like it's about 10ft from the fast lane. That seems a bit close if you ask me.

I get that these cable type median barriers are cheaper and quicker to build initially but I'd like to see how much cheaper it really is in the long run.

What are your thoughts on this?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post

I fully agree with each of your statements, Jono.

I had never seen one so close to the road.

Unfortunately, motorcycles are only the 2% of the vehicles that circulate on USA's roads and these devices are budgeted, designed and built with cars and trucks in mind.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

I had never seen one so close to the road.

Unfortunately, motorcycles are only the 2% of the vehicles that circulate on USA's roads and these devices are budgeted, designed and built with cars and trucks in mind.
That's the sad truth. More people need to ride motorcycles. The world would be a better place.

My solution will be to cruise in the slow lane if I see a cable barrier that close to the road.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
They are all over KY and TN. I told my wife when they start putting them up that I thought they are deadlier to bikers than the guardrails of the past.

Sad... rip
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
this is the first time i've seen them. but they look like a stupid idea. doesn't look like it would stop a car, but definitely looks like it would **** a bike worse than lowsiding into a ditch. but i could see it being better than going all the way into oncoming and head-on'ing a car

Old April 29th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #6
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Initial thought ---- is that the dude's head way up north in the picture?

Secondary thought ---- what was the name of that movie with the drug-running-biker who met his demise via a steel-cable-at-neck-level-decapitation?

Tertiary thought ---- Dangit I am sounding deranged.

Thought after that ---- that cop probably does not feel as if he is compensated adequately for the things he must deal with in his line of work.

Following thought ---- human cheese-grater.

Final thought ---- don't hit it and you won't have any problems.

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #7
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I live in MS and they use the cable barriers here as well as in LA. The ones in LA are farther from the fast lane than the ones in MS. However, in LA they fix them when someone runs it over and in MS they don't(at least not in a timely manner). I've seen wrecks and most of the time the car goes straight through it but without enough momentum to continue into oncoming traffic.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #8
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

r.i.p.

I've always wanted padded walls..

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #9
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Jeez, @Jono, I drove that stretch from Arlington High for 2 years....

I have a friend who nearly lost his head when his Firebird locked up and crammed itself between those cables.

RIP

Old April 30th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #10
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
They are all over KY and TN. I told my wife when they start putting them up that I thought they are deadlier to bikers than the guardrails of the past.

Sad... rip
And Ohio

A little girl was killed last year. We had a pile up and her mom and her got out of the car. Another car hit one of the others in the pile up, it broke the cable, the cable killed the girl when it struck her.

Cables are a bad idea.

Old April 30th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #11
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

Last report I saw said that cable barriers, although cheaper to install were much more dangerous. It said that in light side-swipes, the cables pull the vehicle in and destroy it. They destroy pretty much any vehicle that hits them.
The cables were found to be a very big safety issue in the event that it should break.

Once this barrier is hit, it is useless until repaired where a guard rail might be down for 20 feet but the rest is still there and functional.

I would hate to hit either. But, if I had to choose, I'd much rather hit the guard rail.
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #12
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

I've never seen these before up here in MI. And Thank God.. I get an upset stomach just thinking of the damage these will do.

Cables are the stupidest idea ever for this. By the size of the posts, I'm guessing these cable rails are meant to prevent an unobstructed path into oncoming traffic, not necessarily to keep the vehicle on the side of the road. A car or truck would plow right through this barrier, but the cables would direct it more parallel to the road.

These need to go. NOW.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #13
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

My feelings ^

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #14
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Seems to me the corrugated steel barriers are better, although I've personally seen a rider puree his leg on one of those...

RIP rider.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2015, 09:21 AM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I saw a lot of these cable barriers when I was riding through AR, KY, OH, MO, central USA. Definitely bad news for a motorcyclist, but so would hitting any other soid barrier. I generally ride in the right lane or middle lane of a three lane freeway, using the left lane for passing. my 2 cents: just another hazard for motorcyclists to avoid. I'm much more concerned about moving hazrds; they can be unpredictable.

Old May 1st, 2015, 09:25 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
And Ohio

A little girl was killed last year. We had a pile up and her mom and her got out of the car. Another car hit one of the others in the pile up, it broke the cable, the cable killed the girl when it struck her.

Cables are a bad idea.
I remember seeing that on the news. Sad...

Old May 1st, 2015, 04:17 PM   #17
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

RIP rider.

You'll see those cable road dividers all along I-10 here in Texas.

Wish we knew more about the story though. Source says ride was making a pass and the rumble strips caused him to lose control and wreck. Sounds like he lost control before he hit the rumble strips....

RIP.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:07 AM   #18
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

From talking to someone who's seen a crash into the wire, it's not going through the wire that kills you, the wire guides you straight into the very solid & sharp edged uprights.

The upright does damage that you dont get up from.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
From talking to someone who's seen a crash into the wire, it's not going through the wire that kills you, the wire guides you straight into the very solid & sharp edged uprights.

The upright does damage that you dont get up from.
That is the way I was thinking they are worse. They may give enough to divert a fleshy body right into the next wire guide.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:57 AM   #20
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I've never seen those in the east coast. Doesn't look good for a motorcyclist

Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:51 PM   #21
corksil

Dang, not much looks good to a motorcycle.

Maybe I just need to take on a better attitude and outlook, but motorcycles ARE a design flaw. They are like cars, but without the protective metal cage around the operator -- and there's also that part about how they tip over when stationary.

Atleast as motorcycle operators we can enjoy that feeling of speed and the stability of the "craft" once a certain speed is reached.

I have a tiny xr50 dirtbike which I use as a quick means of transportation around job sites to minimize the need for walking up/down steep hills repeatedly. Seemingly everyone who watches me pilot the tiny vessel at great speeds says "that looks like fun, can I try?"

To that I say "if you sit on the seat, you have already assumed the risk. I am not liable for your inability to pilot this ship." That and... something to the effect of "Try not to wheelie over backwards, I've done a bit of engine work and this bike really tries to scoot out from under you if you aren't holding on tight."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150304_173920.jpg (72.5 KB, 10 views)

Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:52 PM   #22
corksil

dangit that is a really blurry picture. Best to NOT try and enlarge it or you may become dizzy after trying to focus your eyes on it for any period of time.

Old May 4th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #23
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
God. It'd be like when you gib someone in Quake or Half Life. That's brutal.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #24
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Initial thought ---- is that the dude's head way up north in the picture? Don't think so, it'd have left more of a mess in it's wake.

Secondary thought ---- what was the name of that movie with the drug-running-biker who met his demise via a steel-cable-at-neck-level-decapitation? the councillor

Tertiary thought ---- Dangit I am sounding deranged.sounding?

Thought after that ---- that cop probably does not feel as if he is compensated adequately for the things he must deal with in his line of work.

Following thought ---- human cheese-grater.

Final thought ---- don't hit it and you won't have any problems.Not entirely true, if someone else hits it at the wrong angle it can catapult them across a couple of lanes, kinda like a pool ball off the side cushion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
God. It'd be like when you gib someone in Quake or Half Life. That's brutal.
Think more along the lines of a limb cleaved off with a machete/axe. Not a clean chop but not Quake style meatball suop either.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #25
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Dang, not much looks good to a motorcycle.

Maybe I just need to take on a better attitude and outlook, but motorcycles ARE a design flaw. They are like cars, but without the protective metal cage around the operator -- and there's also that part about how they tip over when stationary.

Atleast as motorcycle operators we can enjoy that feeling of speed and the stability of the "craft" once a certain speed is reached.

I have a tiny xr50 dirtbike which I use as a quick means of transportation around job sites to minimize the need for walking up/down steep hills repeatedly. Seemingly everyone who watches me pilot the tiny vessel at great speeds says "that looks like fun, can I try?"

To that I say "if you sit on the seat, you have already assumed the risk. I am not liable for your inability to pilot this ship." That and... something to the effect of "Try not to wheelie over backwards, I've done a bit of engine work and this bike really tries to scoot out from under you if you aren't holding on tight."
What kind of jacket is that?

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #26
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Think more along the lines of a limb cleaved off with a machete/axe. Not a clean chop but not Quake style meatball suop either.
I used to be good at that billiards game. Thanks for the movie title, that was a good one.

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #27
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
What kind of jacket is that?
Dainese speed naked, if I recall correctly. Tobacco color. (Brown, for us non-phaggot-fashioneers) Dirt color, so it doesn't require cleaning, only wearing, getting dirty, and getting more dirty.

Develops quite an odor as time passes, not for the faint of heart.

Like most things that I own, it seems to be... uh... out of production by a few years.

They are short in the arms if you are a wide shouldered individual.

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #28
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Yeah unfortunately those barriers aren't there to save you, but to save the opposing traffic from a wayward vehicle.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #29
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Dainese speed naked, if I recall correctly. Tobacco color. (Brown, for us non-phaggot-fashioneers) Dirt color, so it doesn't require cleaning, only wearing, getting dirty, and getting more dirty.

Develops quite an odor as time passes, not for the faint of heart.

Like most things that I own, it seems to be... uh... out of production by a few years.

They are short in the arms if you are a wide shouldered individual.
This one? http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-speed...elle-1566.html

Been looking at that myself for a long while... With that price tag, it's a thinker... Good to know, as I have narrow shoulders but long monkey arms....

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #30
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

95 in PA has them by me and i never gave this a though until now. I traveled that stretch of 95 for work for years on the bike to.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #31
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
This one? http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-speed...elle-1566.html

Been looking at that myself for a long while... With that price tag, it's a thinker... Good to know, as I have narrow shoulders but long monkey arms....
Yeah, PM me if you want more details on my shoulder width/arm length/size-ordered. I ordered one that was too small and had to send it back and go up one size. Glad I did.

Old May 6th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #32
pstolemy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Syd

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
That's the sad truth. More people need to ride motorcycles. The world would be a better place.

My solution will be to cruise in the slow lane if I see a cable barrier that close to the road.
😁😁 indeed the world would be.

Those cables give me the heeby jeebies
pstolemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #33
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
I've never seen these before up here in MI. And Thank God.. I get an upset stomach just thinking of the damage these will do.

Cables are the stupidest idea ever for this. By the size of the posts, I'm guessing these cable rails are meant to prevent an unobstructed path into oncoming traffic, not necessarily to keep the vehicle on the side of the road. A car or truck would plow right through this barrier, but the cables would direct it more parallel to the road.

These need to go. NOW.
They started putting them up on this side of the state a couple years ago. As far as I know, I-96 has them all the way from GR to Lansing.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote