Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): None yet

NY Noob

Hello all,
My name is Josh, out of South Glens Falls NY. No pics to post as I don't own a bike yet; I'll be taking the BRC on the 27th and 28th. I've never put hands on a motorcycle before and have very limited dirt bike experience, three small rides about seven years ago, so I'm nervous but also very excited and eager to learn. I'll be taking the course with a good friend whom has never ridden either and three of us will be buying our first bikes within a year.
I was originally planning on buying a Honda CBRF4i for my first bike however my significant other mentioned a few days ago that if I made it through the first year on a smaller bike without killing myself she'd be interested in inheriting my starter bike instead of me selling it off. I'd love to start on something a bit bigger however the prospect of my girl riding with me is too good to pass up and, if I'm being honest, the 600cc bikes are huge compared to my 5'5" 140lb. frame so it didn't take a ton of convincing. I’ll be attempting to maintain this bike myself, as much as I am able, however I’ve never touched a blender motor let alone a land vehicle so lots of questions will likely follow.
Ale Golem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Josh and have fun with the BRC!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
sucker
she is a keeper
welcome
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
This Girl Rides
Girly Gearhead <3

Name: Brittany

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

WELCOME
&

Keep your woman around, she is smart.
Essentially your knocking out two birds with 1 stone.

Also, you say you have no motorcycle experience aside of very minimum dirt bike; not trying to sound like a dick but it is probably best you start off with a smaller bike anyway. With larger CC engines comes larger possibilities of messing up; touchier throttles & more weight.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller CC bike anyway, it's like everyone has this "who's dick is bigger" complex and thinks it will knock their "ego" down to have a smaller CC bike. If someone is gonna judge me solely on what CC bike I ride, they probably aren't worth my time of day anyway.

I have a 300 and it is awesome, the bike doesn't lack anything that I would miss. I easily ride on the interstate, it maneuvers amazingly, and come on let's face it- it's sexy as hell!

". . .No, it's not his. Care to demonstrate your ignorance again?"
This Girl Rides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
sucker
she is a keeper
welcome
Yeah, you're right on both accounts but how can I deny that adorable face when I all but begged her to take the BRC with me? I think it's all the cool riding gear I've been buying that finally got her off the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Girl Rides View Post
...you say you have no motorcycle experience aside of very minimum dirt bike; not trying to sound like a dick but it is probably best you start off with a smaller bike anyway. With larger CC engines comes larger possibilities of messing up; touchier throttles & more weight.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller CC bike anyway, it's like everyone has this "who's dick is bigger" complex and thinks it will knock their "ego" down to have a smaller CC bike. If someone is gonna judge me solely on what CC bike I ride, they probably aren't worth my time of day anyway.

I have a 300 and it is awesome, the bike doesn't lack anything that I would miss. I easily ride on the interstate, it maneuvers amazingly, and come on let's face it- it's sexy as hell!
No offense taken, I honestly always debated getting a smaller bike to start with but just needed a reason to get over the voice in my head that told me I'd be fine on a larger bike. I've actually been much less nervous about the whole experience now that I've settles on a smaller cc bike, something that I can actually flat foot. Cutting the startup cost in half doesn't hurt either.
I'll also be using this as a practice bike for maintenance and moderate customization but it'll all be toward what she'll want it to look like once she gets it. This means that by the end of next summer I'll be riding around on a white/coral bike with bright silver accents; pretty much a total chick bike. Contrary to most men's reaction I find this hilarious and can't wait to get started.

Last futzed with by Ale Golem; July 19th, 2013 at 06:05 AM.

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #6
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Girl Rides View Post
you nailed it!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

There’s a plethora of pre-gen Ninjas in my area that usually run from about $1,200 to $2,000 on CraigsList. Anything beyond the ’08 mark jumps up by about $1,500-$2,000. Is the sleeker body and year or two difference from the ’05 to’07 models really worth that much more or should I just go for the pre-gen? Is there a real difference between the two gor MPG, maneuvering, speed or comfort? I honestly don’t mind the look of the pre-gens and am kind of partial to the old school 80’s vibe but the new ones are just so sexy, decisions decisions.

Last futzed with by Ale Golem; July 19th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:22 AM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:47 AM   #9
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Welcome. A 250 would be a great fit for you, don't let anyone tell you different. It's an awesome bike to ride don't let the cc's fool you!!

Old July 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #11
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

I’ve been doing some research and it looks like the Ninja 300 is pretty much perfect for my needs; it’s fuel efficient, won’t accidently go 100MPH in 1st gear and looks like it’ll do just fine on the highway. I’ve seen some complaints that there may be a sporadic problem with the fuel injection on some bikes that causes it to stall more frequently than it should and am wondering how prevalent this problem might be. I’ll be buying sometime early in 2014, hopefully after the prices on the used market drop to something a bit more reasonable, so I have plenty of time for more research but figured this would be a great place to start.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #12
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Josh...welcome. If you havent decided on a dealer yet Sportline up in Queensbury are very nice people ( just north of you...right ?)
Hey....being pretty close to lake george....do you have any idea if the state sno-mo trails are accessible in summer? Are they "enforced". Was up there a fewyears back and NEVER had a better time in my life than I did on an old ski-doo (crashed it) made it go up the side of a wall, followed the RR tracks to North Hudson...it was heaven.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Josh...welcome. If you havent decided on a dealer yet Sportline up in Queensbury are very nice people ( just north of you...right ?)
Hey....being pretty close to lake george....do you have any idea if the state sno-mo trails are accessible in summer? Are they "enforced". Was up there a fewyears back and NEVER had a better time in my life than I did on an old ski-doo (crashed it) made it go up the side of a wall, followed the RR tracks to North Hudson...it was heaven.
I’ve actually stopped by Sportline Power Products a couple times; they’re about 10 minutes from my apartment. I was looking to buy privately for my first bike but I haven’t counted them out for a potential purchase. I have no idea about the trails. I’ve never owned any gas powered toys before so I never had any reason to keep up to date on the local trails.

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #14
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Welcome, my friend.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #15
mgorven
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale Golem View Post
I’ve seen some complaints that there may be a sporadic problem with the fuel injection on some bikes that causes it to stall more frequently than it should and am wondering how prevalent this problem might be.
There's a recall to replace the ECU to fix this, see this thread for details.
mgorven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #16
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Just got the recall letter for some of the 300's ecu's!
Welcome to the forum, the 300 is a beast as long as ya don't wanna drag race fast bikes

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Welcome .

I ve had some bikes big and small and I fell in love w my gfs 300 the first ride out. We were ridding two up (she opted for the backseat lol)

I am about your size. Killer bike for a killer price . Total blast to ride

And my first bike was a cbr900rr . Sold it soon after. It was no fun trying to keep it civil on the roads.

Get a 300 an you will enjoy a bike that you can really use on public roads.

Plus if you pass it on to your girl u can always ride it when she is not
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Ale Golem
ninjette.org newbie

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I passed the BRC with a 3 less points off than my friend. That class pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for starting on a 600cc inline 4 and that's a good thing.

Old August 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Congrats on the passing... 600's are fun, but can get ya into trouble Fast... Faster than the 300's

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale Golem View Post
..........That class pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for starting on a 600cc inline 4 and that's a good thing.
Welcome to our site !!!

Visit our Riding Skills section
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote