ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

washington is wet. who'd have thought?

putting along around town in my summer jacket in the pouring rain. completely soaked, freezing to death... and a car turns out a good 15ft in front of me. I had plenty of stopping distance, but I grabbed at the front brake anyway. lo and behold, the front wheel stopped moving. the bike, however, didn't. fell over on the right side (pretty low speed, like 5-6mph).
luckily, I'm a steadfast believer in atgatt, so the armor in my pants and jacket kept me from getting any bruises when hitting the pavement like a sack of bricks.
First thought was to hit the killswitch and get out from under the bike. first one was easy, second turned out to be harder due to the fact that the peg caught my boot lace (the one time I don't tuck my laces in...)
somebody in the car behind me helped me to get the bike back upright, and I moved out of the road and off to the side.

right-hand side clutch cover has a scrape. turn signal's completely smashed, but a new one is around ten bucks. other than that, it's completely fine. incredibly lucky.
also, I'm fine. got a scratch on my hip from the jacket. I've had worse rugburns, though. no bruises or soreness that I can feel.

Not very often that you get a learning experience like this without real repercussions. don't grab the brakes... and don't wear non-rainproof gear in the rain.

bleh.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:46 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
tough break, sounds like it could have happened to anyone. I ride in the rain a fair amount and just make sure everything is uber slow and steady. Nothing abrupt and you are generally fine.

As far as rain gear, don't own it, might be nice, dunno ignorance is bliss

Sounds like the bike and you faired ok so ride on good sir

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:07 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gear FTW!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
tough break, sounds like it could have happened to anyone. I ride in the rain a fair amount and just make sure everything is uber slow and steady. Nothing abrupt and you are generally fine.

As far as rain gear, don't own it, might be nice, dunno ignorance is bliss

Sounds like the bike and you faired ok so ride on good sir
Yeah, I have a great leather jacket. nice and thick in the elbows and shoulders but still soft. ridden through some pretty gnarly rainstorms with it and not gotten a single drop inside. Problem is that it's green and my bike is red that's why I wear my textile jacket most of the time. color coordination is my downfall I guess, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Gear FTW!

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:49 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
2 weeks ago I got caught in a bad thunderstorm, with pretty heavy rain fall.
I had rs-taichi gmx motion jacket on, (leather, fully perforated) I got soaked, but the thing that amused me the most was that when I would slow down and come to stops the water slosh forward and would spill out of the sleeves of my jacket like dumping a water bottle

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

same here, kind of. My boots are oil/waterproof ($30 walmart boots yeah baby) so they're completely dry even in the wet. Problem is... my pants aren't. so when I stand up all of the water soaks down into the inside of the boots and before I know it I'm sloshing around in two buckets of water.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry to read about your accident, Patrick.

Your choice of boots is poor, due to the reason explained and the little ankle protection.

You didn't have to fall.
If you have time, check our Riding Skills section and look for braking techniques and riding in the rain.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

First thing I do when I get on the bike each time is practice panic stops using both brakes. Whenever I see a wet spot I try to panic stop on purpose.

Glad you are ok.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@Insan3guy: good closing advice!

Glad you were ok.

ATGATT FTW!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sorry to read about your accident, Patrick.

Your choice of boots is poor, due to the reason explained and the little ankle protection.

You didn't have to fall.
If you have time, check our Riding Skills section and look for braking techniques and riding in the rain.
looking back, I know exactly what I did wrong, why it happened, and how to prevent it in the future. It was a 1 second lapse in attention... it's funny how something like that can get you in so much trouble.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Good call on the gear, though . It's one thing to not wear gear during the summer; but methinks it's extremely foolish not to wear gear when roads are wet!
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

As a fellow Washingtonian myself, I can vouch for the fact that yes, it is wet here. I live in the dead center of a desert (yes, there are deserts on the east side of Washington for those who don't know) and we have been getting poured on the last couple weeks.

Sorry for your wreck though. I'm glad to see it will be cheap to fix! Heal up and hop on again! I'd say to wait for it to stop raining but I don't think you'd be taking your bike out much if you did that
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #13
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
putting along around town in my summer jacket in the pouring rain. completely soaked, freezing to death
It's been shown that being cold slows our reaction times down. Get that rain gear and and keep your reaction times down! (Or,is that up??).
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote