ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #1
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

In a sea of big bikes....how do you swim?

Just curious... local motorcycle cruise night. Loaded and I mean loaded with big bikes. Busa's, FJ1100's, ZX14r's, about 50 600's and 750's, and about 50 big Harleys. This is a local weekly cruise night hang out.
How do you handle it? So far.. I haven't had the guts to pull in with mine but I am working on it. There isn't a single bike under a 600 EVER.

jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Run in the opposite direction is my first thought. But if I had to ride with other people I just do. Does not matter what size or type your bike is. Just ride it. If someone cares that you ride they are ignorant and VERY immature. And most likely no experienced riders.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Wheres it located?

Regardless, the one or 2 i go to a year i never worried about it. When i go now im on my 1000 but i look to see if theres any 250's. As long as your happy with your bike, enjoy it.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If you're any way decent as a pilot you should be able to keep pace with the non suberbike thous, Z1000, Fazer thou, Bandit 1200's ect...

The guys piloting them generally know they can go much faster, but they keep it to a reasonable pace, near the top end of what a 250 can do & are generally fairly level headed .

Let the superbike crew tear off & distract the cops, keep it above 9k RPM & have a laugh.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #5
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Let me clarify. This isn't a ride. This is a cruise night hangout. Bikes and cars. You pull into the giant parking lot and biKes are on one side. Cars on the other.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Certainly with a pregen people tend to not look too hard and assume it is the GPX 600

Tip: don't start your engine till others around you are running

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; July 11th, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I doubt that anyone with half a brain will give you any grief. The idea is to walk around and look at the other bikes (and cars I suppose) that people are showing off. If someone doesn't like your 250, they will most likely just walk on and look at someone else's ride.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Haven't been to one yet, but based on other experiences, it'd go something like this:

What size is that?

Oh that? It's just a little 250!

Really?!

Yep. It looks good and is pretty much the fastest 250 out there. I like it.

Nice. Good lookin bike!

Thanks!

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the 2 ninja 250s i have are not even the fastest 250s in my garage...

why do you want to hang out with these people? do you know them? you just trying to make friends? if you want to make friends with people who think riding means a trip to hooters, then sure. if you want to meet some people who spend their time riding instead of talking, go find your local twisty mountain road and go hang out on the lookout.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
Just curious... local motorcycle cruise night. Loaded and I mean loaded with big bikes. Busa's, FJ1100's, ZX14r's, about 50 600's and 750's, and about 50 big Harleys. This is a local weekly cruise night hang out.
How do you handle it? So far.. I haven't had the guts to pull in with mine but I am working on it. There isn't a single bike under a 600 EVER.

Where is said cruise night located? We used to go to Jimmy's in West Haven but since they changed from a drive-in to a restaurant it isn't the same.

Just add a 1 in front of the 250 number and no one will know the difference.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hint:
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #12
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Where is said cruise night located? We used to go to Jimmy's in West Haven but since they changed from a drive-in to a restaurant it isn't the same.

Just add a 1 in front of the 250 number and no one will know the difference.
Heavenly Donuts in Derby on Sunday nights. Its a combination car and bike cruise night. Starts around 3 and goes until dark.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #13
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the 2 ninja 250s i have are not even the fastest 250s in my garage...

why do you want to hang out with these people? do you know them? you just trying to make friends? if you want to make friends with people who think riding means a trip to hooters, then sure. if you want to meet some people who spend their time riding instead of talking, go find your local twisty mountain road and go hang out on the lookout.
Usually what happens regarding bikes is there are 2 groups of riders. There are the groups who were out all day riding and ended up there or the individuals that take their bikes out specifically to go to the cruise night. The car section is a car show. The bike section is basically all kinds of bikes parked everywhere. Its not a show for bikes.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Heavenly Donuts in Derby on Sunday nights. Its a combination car and bike cruise night. Starts around 3 and goes until dark.
So it's about 2 hours long?

Small world, I used to live off Derby Milford Rd. on Grassy Hill Country Club. When I was kid my dad took my Jag XK150s from me after a few to many tickets on that road and Wheelers Farm Rd. We used to keep one our planes at Ansonia Airport (which I hear is now a Golf Course). That's such a good motorcycle riding area. There's probably more houses there from when I lived in that are in the early 70s. It was total country back then.

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #15
jgcable
ninjette.org member

The big question for me is where do all the 250r's go? I have been completely involved in the MC scene in Connecticut for about 8 years. Been everywhere, seen everybody. I know a ton of people that ride. On the weekends I am at all the motorcycle stop offs during their long rides. You can ride easily 300 miles in CT in a day and never travel the same road twice. Beautiful twisties and scenery. Its incredible. YET..... out of all the riding I have done I can count on 1 hand how many 250r's I have seen on the road. Other starter bikes thats are SUPER popular are the CBR250, the Virago 250 and of course the Rebel 250. You would think that these bikes along with the Ninja 250 whether Pre Gen or New Gen or the 300 have been outlawed in CT because I NEVER see them and believe me.. I look YET.... if you ask people.. they almost all started on one these bikes, and if you ask the dealerships they sell a crap load of them. So... where are they all? At the track? In the garage? They certainly aren't at cruise nights or riding on the roads during the weekends. If you live in CT you most certainly know the West Cornwall covered bridge and Kent. On Saturday and Sunday the entire town of Kent CT is taken over by every type of motorcycle you can think of. Out of a possible few thousand bikes there at any one time I can count on one hand how many times I have seen anything in the 250cc size.
I don't get it. Connecticut is made for the smaller 250r, 300 sized bikes. Its almost like a state sized racetrack. Thats why I have mine!

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #16
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
So it's about 2 hours long?

Small world, I used to live off Derby Milford Rd. on Grassy Hill Country Club. When I was kid my dad took my Jag XK150s from me after a few to many tickets on that road and Wheelers Farm Rd. We used to keep one our planes at Ansonia Airport (which I hear is now a Golf Course). That's such a good motorcycle riding area. There's probably more houses there from when I lived in that are in the early 70s. It was total country back then.
It gets dark at 8. Thats 5 hours. Cars usually get there earlier. Bikes start pulling in around 3pm. Figure if you have a bike you could spend 5 hours there easily and watch people ripping holeshots as they leave the parking lot. Its actually alot of fun.

Yea.. its a small world. I know everywhere you are talking about. I take Derby Milford road home from there every Sunday. The riding in Connecticut is incredible... especially for a high revver like the 250r.

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #17
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

There's a couple of us east of you. I'm in RI and a couple Mass guys. I think the CT guys are like "east NYC" really.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
The big question for me is where do all the 250r's go?..........So... where are they all? At the track? In the garage? They certainly aren't at cruise nights or riding on the roads during the weekends...........
Every 250 rider is surfing Ninjette.org !!!

All the other poor devils cannot even dream of having a website like this one.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
The big question for me is where do all the 250r's go?
i see lots at the track when i go. plus when you're camped and BBQing at the track, getting back from the hangout drunk doesn't earn you a DUI

lol

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #20
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I was there at Heavenly Donuts this past sunday, lots of big bikes for sure. I was passing by and took a few minutes to check it out. Cool cars and there was one older harley semi cafe -cruiser that I enjoyed looking at.

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #21
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
I was there at Heavenly Donuts this past sunday, lots of big bikes for sure. I was passing by and took a few minutes to check it out. Cool cars and there was one older harley semi cafe -cruiser that I enjoyed looking at.

I was there, The bike you were talking about was the red one right? That was nice. Totally old school cafe style. I would guess it was early 60's. My bike was about 10' away from it. A Dragonfly Pearl Green/Vivid Black Harley WideGlide. I was parked in the sea of Harley's. I still need to get my ninja registered and then I will be taking it up there and parking it right in the middle of all my friends Harley's.
It will not make them happy because they don't like parking next to anything that isn't a Harley or at least a cruiser.

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #22
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

The sport guys who've been riding for a while will know the bike'e rep. Ninjettes are pretty highly regarded by experienced riders.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #23
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #24
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
avoid them.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #25
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Name: todd

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250r

yeah i'm with him ^^ why take you bike out just to stand next to it?

find some people that actually want to ride, not look like they do.
jschorr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Well, I've lived in CT for about 30 years. Maybe you haven't seen me because I don't bother riding places just to park and hang out.

I ride through Kent all the time. I never stop there. Why? Because I'm out to ride, not sit around. The only time I stop for more than a couple of minutes is for lunch... and I choose lunch for the food, not because there are bikes parked out front.

Same thing with bike nights. Just not into that at all. I fail to see the point. I own a bike to ride the bike, not as a means for socialization.

So maybe you're not seeing the 250 riders because we're all out RIDING.

Quote:
The big question for me is where do all the 250r's go? I have been completely involved in the MC scene in Connecticut for about 8 years. Been everywhere, seen everybody. I know a ton of people that ride. On the weekends I am at all the motorcycle stop offs during their long rides. You can ride easily 300 miles in CT in a day and never travel the same road twice. Beautiful twisties and scenery. Its incredible. YET..... out of all the riding I have done I can count on 1 hand how many 250r's I have seen on the road. Other starter bikes thats are SUPER popular are the CBR250, the Virago 250 and of course the Rebel 250. You would think that these bikes along with the Ninja 250 whether Pre Gen or New Gen or the 300 have been outlawed in CT because I NEVER see them and believe me.. I look YET.... if you ask people.. they almost all started on one these bikes, and if you ask the dealerships they sell a crap load of them. So... where are they all? At the track? In the garage? They certainly aren't at cruise nights or riding on the roads during the weekends. If you live in CT you most certainly know the West Cornwall covered bridge and Kent. On Saturday and Sunday the entire town of Kent CT is taken over by every type of motorcycle you can think of. Out of a possible few thousand bikes there at any one time I can count on one hand how many times I have seen anything in the 250cc size.
I don't get it. Connecticut is made for the smaller 250r, 300 sized bikes. Its almost like a state sized racetrack. Thats why I have mine!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #27
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I think it's kind of funny that some folks are so gung-ho to say "you should go ride instead of hang out and check out other bikes"

Why not do both? Go for a ride, stop by and check out the bikes, then go for another ride.

Old May 14th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #28
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's always good to have a destination when I ride with friends. That way I have something to do while I wait for them to catch up.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #29
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I think it's kind of funny that some folks are so gung-ho to say "you should go ride instead of hang out and check out other bikes"

Why not do both? Go for a ride, stop by and check out the bikes, then go for another ride.
Admiring bikes just makes me want a bigger, fancier bike. I don't look for compliments and I never pay compliments to those looking for them. I'd rather just make some recurring friends that want to ride instead of standing around shooting the sh!t. We'll have plenty of time to BS when we're helping each other mod, maintain, and repair our bikes.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #30
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I get bored after 30 min or an hour at those gatherings. If i hang around its because my dad will come with his car and he just sits in his lawn chair.

Theres a decent amount of us in CT, your in Milford so the NYC crowd is pretty big too. Im in the northwest corner, so i dont get out much with people on here, but ive gone on a couple rides with Andy. Like he said, we ride for an hourish, stop and get something to eat, then ride some more.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #31
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Does anyone remember a magazine ad in the 80's, which I think was Kawasaki, where there was a fictional meeting at a roadhouse or cafe on a certain day and time.
And hundreds of people actually turned up for real at that venue on the evening taking both the owner and Kawasaki by surprise?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #32
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
It's not about the bikes and cars, it's all about the donuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Does anyone remember a magazine ad in the 80's, which I think was Kawasaki, where there was a fictional meeting at a roadhouse or cafe on a certain day and time.
And hundreds of people actually turned up for real at that venue on the evening taking both the owner and Kawasaki by surprise?
Marcus Dairy, closed.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #33
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Who cares. If you go around most of your life wondering what other people think, you aren't going to get very far in life.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #34
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I have Sturgis Bike week every year 20 miles away, groups that big are only as skilled as the worst rider.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #35
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:

Hey, do what you want to do

I got to tons of meet ups and cruise ins, I used to ride the skittles bike to them.
I have no shame I just have fun.

I like to look at other peoples bikes but I make sure they don't assume I am lusting for their bikes. Anyone can buy chrome and ccs so it doesn't impress me.
I am out to appreciate craftsman ship, style and socialize.

I went to bike week- All harleys and new bikes
Apple chill - All litre bikes and bigger

Many people complemented my bike because its very clean and looks newer than its year. People are usually cool so have a little faith.
Don't be expecting people to ooo and ahhh over your bike but I promise someone will spark up conversation about your bike weather they are saying its out of place or reminiscing about the ninjette they had in college.

I can't tell you how many girls have approached me to complement my GSXr 750.

The conversations go like this
Female rider " Nice bike! what year is it? "
I say " 04 , its clean for the year, oldie but a goodie"
Female rider " Yeah I had a 750 for my first bike but now I am ridding that Busa, GSXR1000, Harley over there"

After that life goes on

On the skittles bike the conversations were more about awestruck wonder that I am actually ridding a bike held together with zip ties and how did it get to be in such a mis shapen way lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #36
sonny4472
ninjette.org member

Name: Sonny

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 09 1125r, 95 Virago

I would take my 250. Some people may have something negative to say, but I'm mostly amused by it. I would go just to look at everyone else's bikes. You never know, you may make some friends.
sonny4472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #37
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Well, I've lived in CT for about 30 years. Maybe you haven't seen me because I don't bother riding places just to park and hang out.

I ride through Kent all the time. I never stop there. Why? Because I'm out to ride, not sit around. The only time I stop for more than a couple of minutes is for lunch... and I choose lunch for the food, not because there are bikes parked out front.

Same thing with bike nights. Just not into that at all. I fail to see the point. I own a bike to ride the bike, not as a means for socialization.

So maybe you're not seeing the 250 riders because we're all out RIDING.
These are the kinds of responses that burn my ass (besides a candle about 2' high).

#1. I ride. I put on about 400 miles per weekend which is the only time I can ride. My friends ride more. Much more because they have more time.
#2. Owning and riding a motorcycle ABSOLUTELY is about socializing. That's part of the fun of it even if you race.
#3. Why you don't stop at Kent? No clue. Its beautiful, its loaded with places to eat and there are bikes everywhere. Maybe you are anti-social?
#4. Biker friendly establishments are just more fun when you ride. Again.. maybe you are anti-social
Have you ever been to the Toymaker Café in Falls Village, CT? The guy that owns it and cooks the food is a diehard BSA, Triumph guy. He has an entire barn full of them that you can check out. Mostly the BSA, Triumph, BMW guys go there but you will always see all kinds of bikes from sport bikes to café racers to cruisers. The food is great and everybody including the owner rides. I guess you have never been there either.
What about Painters Ridge? Do you just blow through it and not even stop for the view? How about Barkhamsted? What about Down the Hatch on Candlewood Lake. After a killer ride that place is awesome to hang out in and have some food or a cold drink. Parking lot is loaded with bikes. I guess you don't stop there either because you don't have time to "hang out" and you don't ride to socialize.
I guess you are a real iron butt rider. Just put that helmet on, gas up and ride until the light starts flashing and fill up with gas again and keep going. Do you bring snack bars with you on the ride so you don't have to stop to eat? Give me a break. If the 250's "are all out riding" they must be in the parking lot practicing to take their motorcycle road tests or they are on the race track because they aren't on any roads that I ride on in CT and I RIDE THEM ALL.

The Bach Door Café is another extremely popular motorcycle stop off when you are on a killer 300+ mile ride but I am sure you have never stopped there because if you did you might have to park next to another motorcycle and possibly socialize.

On a side note.. I road from CT to the tip of Key West on a 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster. My buddies did Sturgis last year. They road there and back. 1100 miles the first day... 700 every day after that. We ride.. we ride hard. Also... not that it matters.. but we are all sober riders and aren't bar hoppers.

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I agree with most everyone in this thread.

Hanging out at cruise in nights is usually for boring people. Ego strokers- people trying to show what they have to people who don't have it.

I do like to do a quick walk through and look rides and at vendors if there are any.

Spend a few minutes and move on with life. Are you a lawn chair pilot, Arm chair pilot or a Ninja pilot. only you can answer that question!

Life is fun, go live it. There are enough barriers in life without you creating new imaginary ones for yourself

in the off chance that people at this cruise night a total D bags. Laugh it off, hit the road and never look back
_________________________________________>
P.S. @jgcable - u r joking right? have you seen adouglas avatar? anti social ? very likely. lol except for the select few people that meet his lofty requirements …. AKA ninjette riders.

I think he has impeccable taste !

also - from now on can I ride with you @jgcable. You know where all the good spots are. I spend 90% of my rides getting lost or stuck in traffic.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #39
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:

haha, my sarcastic response would be they're on the board talking about how they're intimidated by the bigger bikes, etc.... but, I'm just kidding...

You're question is totally a valid one... I feel the same. I want to ride/hang out with other 250's. The few I have found and ridden with seem to be very scared. Many are new riders, but so many seem scared to go a little faster, or to pull in where they feel they don't belong...

I think this is kind of reverse of one group shaming another group's bike of choice. One person feels they don't belong so they don't join.

I really despise this, as I see them valuing their perception of society's judgment higher than themselves...

Anyway, I commiserate in your frustration to find more 250's to hang/ride with.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #40
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
haha, my sarcastic response would be they're on the board talking about how they're intimidated by the bigger bikes, etc.... but, I'm just kidding...

You're question is totally a valid one... I feel the same. I want to ride/hang out with other 250's. The few I have found and ridden with seem to be very scared. Many are new riders, but so many seem scared to go a little faster, or to pull in where they feel they don't belong...

I think this is kind of reverse of one group shaming another group's bike of choice. One person feels they don't belong so they don't join.

I really despise this, as I see them valuing their perception of society's judgment higher than themselves...

Anyway, I commiserate in your frustration to find more 250's to hang/ride with.
That's where I was going with this. There are obviously TONS of 250r's sold. Just ask your local Kawasaki dealership yet... I never see any and believe me.. I look. Its the perfect bike if you live in Connecticut. Everything about it is perfect for riding around here. It really doesn't matter where you ride around here or where you stop for a quick drink or a donut or a hamburger... on the weekends there are bikes everywhere and 99.9% of them are over 600cc. The only 250r's that I see are for sale. I never see anybody riding one. Last year I did meet a guy at my local gym in the parking lot who had just purchased a Honda CBR250 and what do you think the first thing he said to me as I rolled up with a much larger bike? He felt compelled to tell me he was looking to sell it in the next few months and get a 600. I didn't even ask him anything. Actually, I told him I thought his bike was very cool looking and that I learned on a 2001 250r way back and I regret selling it.
When I listed that bike for sale I got about 20 requests to buy it. Every one of them was either from a guy who was looking for a bike for his girlfriend to learn to ride on or it was from a guy or girl who had just gotten their permit and were just about to start the MC safety course.

I have to admit that I didn't know how bad ass these little bikes are when I first owned one because I was a beginner. I don't think I ever shifted over 6K and I was fairly nervous the entire time riding it. I never leaned or counter steered or engine braked. That's normal for a beginner. I just remember the bike being manageable. Well.. 8 years later and countless monster sized bikes later and my new 2003 250r is just a thrill to ride. Because its so much fun to ride around here and it has all the other benefits of being cheap to insure, it gets crazy MPG and its cheap to maintain the only thing I can think of is people buy this bike as a starter bike and they sell it to another starter rider and the bikes never get owned by anybody who actually knows how to ride or rides much.. or...the people that own one know how much fun it is to ride YET... they can't handle the peer pressure and the constant badgering from other riders about the fact that its just a 250. Its the same thing as when you get married. You can say you don't want kids right away but then the family gets in your ear and before you know it.. you are selling the bike and buying a minivan and a stroller.