ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1121
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
I was looking for a 400 when I was shopping for a bike and the salesman looked at me weird and said there was no such thing. I didn't realize I was looking at the Kawi UK site when I looked online.

I just am not understanding the change from a 250 to a 300...is there a side by side comparison chart somewhere, to compare to the 2012?
You get more power, a slipper clutch, fuel injection, digital gauges, a eco mode sensor, some FCC clutch control BS, option of ABS, one fake headlight, and lower revs
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1122
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

I think one thing that is interesting to the ones that are willing which I am not is that the 300 isn't a bored out 250 engine. They increased the CC with a longer stroke and lighter parts and cylinder head. The intake valves are larger as well and compression was dropped.

This tells me there is more power to be had by increasing compression and upping the bore size. I wouldnt entertain the build unless I popped the motor one day but I think this motor should give up power a little easier than the 250 if built.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1123
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Buy one!!! then make your '09 track only!!!!

(and let me ride both bikes in the name of "science" )
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1124
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
it was a tiny yamaha tw200

and im a small guy (135 lbs)
I took the MSF on a tw200, to me it felt larger than the 250. Although I'm sure it was lighter.

I'm also 135 lbs.

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1125
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanshawnS View Post
I will sit on one when it arrives at my local dealer.. but I can't imagine buying it. Any relevance to a F.C.C clutch? Not really sure what that is as compared to what's already on my 2012 ninja.
I know the aftermarket slippers are pretty cool.. They say the factory ones not so much

As to whats on your 2012, you dont have one

Lets say your doing 50mph down the road, pull in your clutch, bang it down to 1st and pop the clutch out. Your gonna lock up the rear wheel.....
With a slipper, you wont!

Good for new riders saftey..... Will it teach you good clutch control? Probably not.. I know it makes an older rider lazy on the clutch.. You dont have to worry about it, pop it, and let the slipper sort it out..
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1126
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I skipped my back wheel a few times going into some turns when I first got my 250... they never mentioned anything about blipping the throttle at the MSF class. I'm not even sure they covered downshifting.

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1127
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I love it and with FI im sold. Matter of fact, I just put my 250 on CL.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1128
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
one fake headlight
watch the videos. One head light for low beam. Both for high beam.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1129
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
I love it and with FI im sold. Matter of fact, I just put my 250 on CL.
Same here
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1130
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
watch the videos. One head light for low beam. Both for high beam.
Similar to many other 2-headlight bikes. I get the reasoning, but I'm still not a fan of that design. I prefer the more symmetrical designs. My K16 has 3 lights; the center one is the main beam, and there is one on each side that both come on when the brights are turned on.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1131
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Solution: dual bi-xenon retrofit questionably legal but hey...

I'm also a fan of the asymmetrical transformer look when people do a bi-xenon projector on one side, and then keep the stock halogen high beam on the other side. I think that looks kinda cool.

At least this bike has the marker lights in the top corners of both headlights. That's a step in the right direction for making the bike obviously a bike for oncoming traffic.

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1132
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
- If you compress it a whole lot it heats up a whole lot. The more and faster you compress, the hotter it gets. This is how diesel engines work. They don't have spark plugs. They also have huge compression ratios. (More compression, more heat).

- If you put fuel that's easy to ignite into a high-compression engine, it could ignite before you want it to. Why? See above. This is called detonation, or ping, or knock. It is a Bad Thing and can damage your engine.

- High horsepower engines often make their power (in part) through higher compression. More fuel/air in the cylinder, more horsepower. So they need high-octane (harder to ignite) fuel. At low revs it doesn't make a difference, but at high revs it does. (Repeat after me: the more/faster you compress air, the hotter it gets.)

- A low-compression engine is designed for low-octane fuel. It never compresses the charge enough to cause detonation.

- So the extra money you're spending is WASTED. High-octane gas doesn't have "more power" or any such nonsense. It is simply harder to ignite, so therefore suited for (and required by) high-compression engines.
What I don't understand is why the Ninja 250 runs fine on regular 87 octane and has a high compression ratio (12.4:1). The ZX-6R is 13.3:1 and requires 90 octane gas. However, an airplane engine needs 100 octane for only 10:1. A Lycoming O-320-D3G is only 8.5:1. What gives?

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1133
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, the timing on the ZX6R is pretty advanced compared to the timing on the 250. I think.

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1134
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's a difference between the static compression ratio and the effective compression ratio. Depending on how aggressive the valve timing is, the effective compression ratio can be significantly different.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1135
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's a difference between the static compression ratio and the effective compression ratio. Depending on how aggressive the valve timing is, the effective compression ratio can be significantly different.
Ok, so like the number they give in the specs is the calculated compression ratio based on the bore x stroke + headroom, right? And the effective ratio takes into account the valve timing which can be less due to intentional leakage during the compression stroke (early exhaust valve opening?). Is this a correct assessment?

But then that would mean that the exhaust valve is open at TDC right when the spark plug fires. If predetonation occurs due to high compression, it would occur in the compression stroke prior to the spark plug firing. I don't see how the compression ratio can be reduced like this and still have the engine run.

Just trying to figure it out.

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1136
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Ok, so like the number they give in the specs is the calculated compression ratio based on the bore x stroke + headroom, right?
Pretty much. How much space from the top of the piston to the top of the head when it's at BDC, divided by when it is at TDC.

Quote:
And the effective ratio takes into account the valve timing which can be less due to intentional leakage during the compression stroke (early exhaust valve opening?). Is this a correct assessment?

But then that would mean that the exhaust valve is open at TDC right when the spark plug fires. If predetonation occurs due to high compression, it would occur in the compression stroke prior to the spark plug firing. I don't see how the compression ratio can be reduced like this and still have the engine run.
No, it's on the other end. The intake/exhaust valves are not both fully closed when the piston is at bdc and starting to come up. The longer they are open, the less effective compression is happening on the mixture. With fuel injection, it can be put into the cylinder at a much later time than if it had to be drawn in via a carburetor.

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1137
n4mwd

Quote:
Pretty much. How much space from the top of the piston to the top of the head when it's at BDC, divided by when it is at TDC.

No, it's on the other end. The intake/exhaust valves are not both fully closed when the piston is at bdc and starting to come up. The longer they are open, the less effective compression is happening on the mixture. With fuel injection, it can be put into the cylinder at a much later time than if it had to be drawn in via a carburetor.
Ok, that makes more sense. So by delaying the closing of the intake valve, the effective stroke is reduced. This also means that there will be a slight regurgitation as the piston moves up slightly with the intake valve still open.

I don't see how fuel injection would be any different from carburetion unless you are talking about direct injection. With standard FI, the fuel is sprayed into the vacuum stream instead of being sucked in through a venturi. Direct injection is more like a diesel and gets pumped in to the cylinder during the compression stroke - not through the intake.

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1138
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Similar to many other 2-headlight bikes. I get the reasoning, but I'm still not a fan of that design. I prefer the more symmetrical designs. My K16 has 3 lights; the center one is the main beam, and there is one on each side that both come on when the brights are turned on.
What's the reasoning? All I can see is someone wanted to save a dollar or two by using the reflectors for bulbs. Now that I know it actually has two bulbs it just seems a really bad design decision.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1139
Shibadip
Destined to be the Winner

Name: Shibadip

Motorcycle(s): Pulsar 200NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatan View Post
Yep -- no more 250 except in some parts of Asia where they'll keep it a 250 (they won't get the 300)
Do you know which parts of Asia are getting 300??
Especially India

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1140
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Just went to the site, looked at the pictures and watched the videos. I want this bike, but unfortanantly it is not in my price range right now. I will be sticking with the old 250 for a while. Maybe I will get this bike sometime next season.
msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1141
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I don't see how fuel injection would be any different from carburetion unless you are talking about direct injection. With standard FI, the fuel is sprayed into the vacuum stream instead of being sucked in through a venturi. Direct injection is more like a diesel and gets pumped in to the cylinder during the compression stroke - not through the intake.
That's fair, but I thought that even with standard FI (not DI), since the injectors can be tweaked to deliver that spray of fuel at the microsecond level, it can be timed for different periods of the revolution more precisely than carbs, which are relying entirely on that vacuum.

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1142
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
What's the reasoning? All I can see is someone wanted to save a dollar or two by using the reflectors for bulbs. Now that I know it actually has two bulbs it just seems a really bad design decision.
The Ducati 916 had twin headlights like that, with only one on for normal riding, and it has been described as the purest and best designed bike of the last 30 years. So who knows.

Perhaps the wiring is simpler/cheaper/lighter to have the lights set up for a single purpose rather than having them both need to run at the higher electrical load of brights.

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1143
pelper1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Errol

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ninja 250

300cc is good I was hoping for the sleeved down 400cc in the 250 frame but I'm waiting for the reviews
pelper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1144
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
the 400 is already a sleeved down version of the 650. They aren't going to double sleeve when they can just lop a 600 engine in half

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1145
pelper1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Errol

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ninja 250

That's exactly what I meant. I know the 400 is a sleeved down 650 I was referring to them dropping the 400 straight into the 250 frame rather than the 300cc engine.
pelper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1146
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
Just went in and put my money down for mine finally now that the MSRP is available. Looks like 5700ish out the door. I ordered the green one and should arrive at the earliest next month or latest end of Nov since this dealer is one of the biggest sellers.
So... You're offering the entire forum a test ride?

ME FIRST
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1147
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I am eagerly awaiting Alex's review of the new 300
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1148
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE Green Machine, 2011 250R SE White Lightning

Been away for awhile n all hell breaks loose. Ogling the 300. Definitely more aggressive, finally. Since only 50% is new, wondering how many parts will swap over, including the body. ;-)
dragonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1149
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
So... You're offering the entire forum a test ride?

ME FIRST
The worst part of all of this is the wait now. Not knowing exactly when it will get here. The suffering begins.......

The only entire forum ride will be by camara.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1150
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Fine... just me then?
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1151
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I went to Times Square today and saw the bikes.

Stock 300

A 300 in track trim.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1152
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Man, wheels are so gay
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1153
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

They remind me of honey combs, or soccer balls.

Ninjettes have never had aesthetically pleasing wheels, IMO.

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1154
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Damnit! I don't like how I can't tell the damn bikes apart now! I was looking at the black and green 300 and I was like oh they put the same ****** looking wheels on the 636.

lol, have fun on your supergens, I'll stick with the true beauty
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1155
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

New Ninjette>older one.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1156
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
New Ninjette>older one.
Newgens are better than pregens? I agree
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1157
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Nope. Your new-gen is a heaping pile compared to the 300.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1158
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
Nope. Your new-gen is a heaping pile compared to the 300.
A heaping pile of better bike? I agree
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1159
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

You's nuts mang.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1160
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
No, I'm Sean
AFM #676