ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 8th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #1
WFOtommy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Braaap! - the Build

I got bored during the December rain that we had in San Francisco, so rather than do a house project, I did this instead.

The bike is a 2007 and the original plan was to buy a Blue Collar Bobbers kit for it. I really didn't want to cut the frame which the kit requires, so I decided to try to come up with something myself. Plus I wanted to run clip-ons and a different gauge cluster, so the kit would've been a waste for me. (But the kit IS a good value for the money for those that want the look.)

My basic ground rule for this build is no cutting of the frame or wires. I should be able to put it back to stock in a day, so nothing overly complicated either. Given that, here's the result.

I started the build by modeling the tail. I went with my first try because I wasn't too concerned about looks. In hindsight, I should've matched the contour of the tank a little more. It would've been nice to go with a different tank, but I didn't want to go too overboard with the build.

Next, fiberglass, cut, sand, fill, sand again and again and again.

And here it is after fitting. Note the notches for the tie-down brackets. Cutting those would've been nice, but gotta stick to the rules. I'm actually glad I left them since it gave me a place to put the number plates. Plus, if I ever need to put the Givi back on, the brackets are there.

After I got the tail sorted, I started building out the front end. I took everything stock off and bolted on the new. A note on the wiring, I'm using connectors from Vintage Connections were they have all the connectors and plugs for the bike. The new gauges and headlight plug right into the existing harness. The centerpiece - the upper triple tree - is a beauty from Bullit Custom Cycles. I probably wouldn't have done the build if I didn't have that piece. Everything else was from Dime City Cycles. I don't have a good picture of the under pan, but you can get a hint of what I did by seeing where I mounted the ECU.

Back to the rear end. Here's it is before paint and upholstery. The foam is from an old seat I got off eBay. Home made number plates. I did the upholstery myself. I don't like the seat personally. I like what Blue Collar Bobbers did in their kit, so I may do something like that later.

And one last picture of the finished rear end.

It's a work in progress. Exhaust, tires, brake lines, rear sets, Race-Tech mods for the forks, etc. are on the to-do list. Or I may just take it all apart and turn it into a tracker if I can find some knobbies that fit 16" wheels.

Thanks for viewing! (Sorry for the long post)

Last futzed with by WFOtommy; March 8th, 2015 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Getting the names right!
WFOtommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Well done, I'm curious about the mounting of the electronics, etc..... Would love to see those pictures

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #4
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Well done, love it!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #5
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston