Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

2008 cbr 600rr

Just picked her up today!
-$5,400
- 6,950 miles
- 100% stock
- Silver
- Bought from the original owner.
- Excellent condition, but was dropped once in garage (see photo) barely noticeable. (This was done by the previous owner, not me lol)

Mods that I want to do
-Flush mount turn signals
-Exhaust slip on
-fender eliminator
-New brake light
-(Possibly shorty levers)
-Swing arm spools
-Tires

Damage-

Sitting with the ol' Ninja 300

^ I've noticed many differences between the 300 and 600... Not even just the power (I haven't even taken the cbr over 8k rpms yet) But literally everything is 100% different.
Major things I noticed- (excluding the power)

-Clutch is VERY different, I stalled the bike about 5 times already hahaha. I'm getting better though I think I stalled it because I was so afraid of the throttle (thanks internet) that I was trying to just get it off only using the clutch and even though I went slowly, it would still stall. Also the clutch pull is heavier than my 300's.

-Kickstand, I HATE this kickstand it is so hard to find and I feel like it doesn't hold the bike well.

-The clip ons put me in a very aggressive position i'm not quite used to. After an hour ride my back hurt, butt hurt, legs hurt, etc. I tried so hard to hold my weight with my legs to keep the weight off my wrists but my back and everything were just not agreeing with it. I'm guessing I need more practice.. but keep in mind I'm a short guy (5'8) so I may never be at 100% comfort with this bike.

There were other differences, like brakes, speedo, tac, wind shield, handling, sound, etc. But those were the two things I didn't really like.

*I LOVE the sound of this bike, even stock it just sounds SO mean. It had me grinning ear to ear the whole time. I really like the gauges too, it's awesome being able to see the temperature of the bike.

Overall, I think the power is very manageable. As long as I keep the RPMS down I will be okay. (I know i'll start exploring the higher rev's in no time, but for now I just want to learn the bike)

Very happy with bike, it seems very well put together bought from the original owner and he seemed like a nice guy, sorta shy. He said he never stunted the bike, bike still has stock tires and I see no evidence of burn outs, wheelies, he even has some chicken strips. (New tires are definitely 100% needed)

As per the ninja 300, As of now I'm going to keep her. I want to make her my track bike.

Last futzed with by Hero Danny; May 17th, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Hero Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 17th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

She is a beauty !!!

Congratulations !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #3
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Congrats, that's a really nice bike.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Nice!

Old May 17th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quite a nice machine. I normally associate silver on vehicles with Priuses and PT Cruisers and Corrollas and, well, slow cars. But damn that bike makes silver look fast.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Couldn't find that red/black one you'd talked about?

Old May 17th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice find! Looks great. You'll get used to the new riding position quickly.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Nice new addition - I'd probably do the tires first since they are old. And maybe think about getting tank pads (Stomp Grips, Techspecs etc.) to help with the gripping. I remember the 600RR stock seat being very slippery.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #9
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
nice find, congrats.

Old May 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Congrats Danny, it's a nice bike.
Enjoy and have fun with it
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #11
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

congrats!

My buddys got the same bike and the kickstand pissed me off too ahaha..

Old May 17th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #12
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Good lookin' bike! Enjoy it!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Thanks everyone! I'm surprised at the number of responses. Glad you all like the bike too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Quite a nice machine. I normally associate silver on vehicles with Priuses and PT Cruisers and Corrollas and, well, slow cars. But damn that bike makes silver look fast.
I never liked silver either, actually it's one of my least favorite colors (Despite my car being silver) but I just love the way it looks on this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Couldn't find that red/black one you'd talked about?
I really wanted the red and black, there was one someone was selling but it had more miles (double) and wasn't original owner, and wasn't 100% stock. But most of all, it was a good 3 hour drive away each way compared to the 45 minute drive I had to take to get the silver one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Nice find! Looks great. You'll get used to the new riding position quickly.
I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Nice new addition - I'd probably do the tires first since they are old. And maybe think about getting tank pads (Stomp Grips, Techspecs etc.) to help with the gripping. I remember the 600RR stock seat being very slippery.
I'm gonna have to save up a little bit, but tires are definitely the next big thing I want to buy for this bike. Something about having 7 year old tires connecting me to the road just doesn't make me feel great.

Old May 17th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Beast!!! Congrats dude! I had an F4 prior to the ninjettes. I contemplated on the F4i, but decided to get the smaller bikes instead due to the aggressive riding position. And if I can't tolerate the F4i position, I know my back won't like the RR body position on longer rides.

I agree with you that the clutch is very different compared to the 250/300. But after a few rides, you'll get used to it. I can't wait until you feel more comfortable and confident with the bike and really open her up and accelerate hard from 10k to 15k rpm. It is really addicting. I miss the 600 class bikes a lot because of that capability. Take it slow to get comfortable and stay safe man!

Old May 17th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #15
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
PS - two bike garage? Or will you have to give up the 300? It'll be awesome to have 2 bikes. Having the 300 for around town short errand rides and having the big bike for longer (freeway) rides.

Old May 18th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #16
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Good luck with it! Ride safe.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
PS - two bike garage? Or will you have to give up the 300? It'll be awesome to have 2 bikes. Having the 300 for around town short errand rides and having the big bike for longer (freeway) rides.
I have a shed which I usually keep my 300 in. And I've been storing my cbr next to my moms car in the garage. I plan on keeping the 300 for the track. But who knows, we'll see. I may not get an opportunity to really go to the track so I may end up just using it as a town bike or something of that nature.

Old May 18th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #18
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nice score!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
^ I've noticed many differences between the 300 and 600... Not even just the power (I haven't even taken the cbr over 8k rpms yet)

Over 8k is where the difference REALLY starts to be apparent. Use caution, but have fun. This will get you into illegal territory surprisingly fast. Just think with the large head, not the small one.

Quote:
-Clutch is VERY different, I stalled the bike about 5 times already hahaha. I'm getting better though I think I stalled it because I was so afraid of the throttle (thanks internet)

Don't get the wrong idea about the throttle on a supersport vs. your 300. It's not an instant rush of overwhelming power. You just need to be finer with the control. I recently got to ride a 300-class bike (Yamaha R3) after a few years of nothing but the GSX-R. I could whack that thing open pretty much anywhere without fear of consequences. Do that on a supersport and you're in trouble. Bottom line: Don't be hamfisted. That's pretty much it.

Quote:
-The clip ons put me in a very aggressive position i'm not quite used to. After an hour ride my back hurt, butt hurt, legs hurt, etc. I tried so hard to hold my weight with my legs to keep the weight off my wrists but my back and everything were just not agreeing with it. I'm guessing I need more practice.. but keep in mind I'm a short guy (5'8) so I may never be at 100% comfort with this bike.

I'm shorter than you and have no problems with supersport ergos. Since I've put higher rearsets on my bike (to get my knees to lock into the tank pocket), I do feel them on long rides. But that's pretty much it, provided I move around to stretch my neck periodically.

+1 on Stompgrips. They make a BIG difference. I've had both Tech Spec and Stompgrips... Stompgrip wins on effectiveness, but will wear your pants more.

Said it before... move around on the bike. Stop trying to sit upright (you must be because your butt hurts). Think about keeping your forearms parallel to the ground and ELBOWS BENT. Weight off your hands. Belly on the tank, and/or chest depending on where you are on the seat, and not just in highway tucks. I mean pretty much all the time. That's why the tank is so big and high. It gives you a place to rest your weight.

Belly on tank. Elbows bent. This is the position that will keep you comfortable...

Now look at this next guy. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. This guy probably whines about how much his wrists hurt. See how ALL his weight is on his wrists and his butt? Put all your weight on those two parts of your body and what do you think will start hurting?

You may find that you feel you're craning your neck too much. Set your helmet properly, with your eyes in the middle of the port, and get used to looking up.

Like this:

This shows the helmet eye port too low... just fine for an upright bike like the Ninjette, but not good on a supersport. That breath guard should be above the tip of her nose.

You're gonna love it!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #20
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

^ Thanks adouglas!
I'm definitely going to practice that position more and more like you said. I never even thought about the helmet. That's a great idea.

Old May 18th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Guy Martin REALLY embraces that helmet thing....

Ideally you shouldn't be able to see the top edge of the eye port.

Old May 18th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Just picked her up today!

^ I've noticed many differences between the 300 and 600... Not even just the power (I haven't even taken the cbr over 8k rpms yet) But literally everything is 100% different.
Major things I noticed- (excluding the power)

-Clutch is VERY different, I stalled the bike about 5 times already hahaha. I'm getting better though I think I stalled it because I was so afraid of the throttle (thanks internet) that I was trying to just get it off only using the clutch and even though I went slowly, it would still stall. Also the clutch pull is heavier than my 300's.

-Kickstand, I HATE this kickstand it is so hard to find and I feel like it doesn't hold the bike well.

There were other differences, like brakes, speedo, tac, wind shield, handling, sound, etc. But those were the two things I didn't really like.

*I LOVE the sound of this bike, even stock it just sounds SO mean. It had me grinning ear to ear the whole time. I really like the gauges too, it's awesome being able to see the temperature of the bike.

Overall, I think the power is very manageable. As long as I keep the RPMS down I will be okay. (I know i'll start exploring the higher rev's in no time, but for now I just want to learn the bike)

Very happy with bike, it seems very well put together bought from the original owner and he seemed like a nice guy, sorta shy. He said he never stunted the bike, bike still has stock tires and I see no evidence of burn outs, wheelies, he even has some chicken strips. (New tires are definitely 100% needed)

As per the ninja 300, As of now I'm going to keep her. I want to make her my track bike.
Baby it & it'll behave, but it'll be twitchy higher up the rev range

I'm about your size and couldn't fit comfortably on a 600RR. My weight was always on my wrists regardless of what I did, (at the time I could hold a plank for just under 10 mins, so core strength wasn't an issue)

An f4i fit me nicely, so did an R6, ninja 600, Gixxer 600, Daytona, 848, 848 streetfighter & I eventually went for a Street Triple R
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #23
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Guy Martin REALLY embraces that helmet thing....

Ideally you shouldn't be able to see the top edge of the eye port.
I've been practicing some more, and I think i'm starting to get the hang of it more... My neck is still kinda hurting though in the tuck position.. My wrists never hurt though, I try to remain conscience to bend my elbows.

Old May 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #24
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Alright. Me and you. Road trip from Boston to Baltimore. You have to ride the CBR =)

Old May 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #25
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
On the helmet thing: that's also the difference between a sport helmet and a sport-touring helmet.

The sport helmet has a higher/taller viewport for visibility in a tuck/seeing through a turn, a sport touring helmet has a lower chin bar for seeing gauges and such.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
First gear max speed is what? 70-75mph? 2nd gear is 90-100mph?

Dude....just be very careful. Get used to the brakes. Using 1 finger, you can probably do a stoppie.

Old May 18th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #27
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

a stoppie, then a flippie.

Old May 19th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #28
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Alright. Me and you. Road trip from Boston to Baltimore. You have to ride the CBR =)
lol deal.

Quote:
First gear max speed is what? 70-75mph? 2nd gear is 90-100mph?

Dude....just be very careful. Get used to the brakes. Using 1 finger, you can probably do a stoppie.
Yeah, the highest RPM I felt was 11k in 2nd gear I believe. It was fast for sure, nothing like I've ever felt before. I let off the gas and started to decelerate, looked down and I was at like 85mph. So I must have been doing like 90 or something of that nature in 2nd gear (maybe it was 3rd, either way it was pulling me like a freight train).

As per the brakes, this is what I've been most conscious about. I used a little brake pressure and I immediately feel the bike's nose dip forward. It's crazy how responsive it is. I tried doing some semi-emergency braking stops. I just hope in a real emergency I have the skills to stay calm and apply enough pressure without locking the front.

Old May 19th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #29
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I would chill until you have some new tires.

7 years on original tires (I assume) is pushing it, especially when dealing with a cycle that has that level of performance.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Stop pushing. This is exactly what's going to get you in trouble. The bike is capable of far more than you are.

You've already gone fast enough to lose your license, had a cop happened to be nearby. And how long have you owned the bike?

Sneak up on fast. It's not about speed... especially on the street.

Now start saving for a track day, get some proper instruction and get it out of your system in a controlled environment.

Talk to people who ride the track all the time. The vast majority will tell you that the track gave them new respect and they don't ride fast on the street anymore. Many no longer ride on the street at all.

Tony's Track Days is going to be at the brand-new track in Palmer, MA this coming Monday and Tuesday. Great way to spend part of Memorial Day... Why not take a ride out there, watch, and talk to people? Sit in on a classroom debrief. Learn.

Three Ninjette members will be there, including me.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #31
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I agree with you guys, I'm not trying to really push the bike. Everything felt natural lol, I'm too used to the the ninjette absolutely being strained when trying to hit those speeds. I know 90 is waayy too fast, but I've been into the triple digits with the 300.

Either way, you guys are right. I'm trying to take it easy... bike needs a few things, chain is very dirty and needs a thorough cleaning, tires...yeah... let's just say that's the next big thing i'm going to get (within a month or so), also she needs an oil change which I will happily be doing this weekend (along with the chain cleaning).

If you guys are interested then i'll keep updating this thread with further progress on the bike since I'm already thinking about what mods I want to buy (don't worry nothing expensive until I get tires lol)

On a side note, what kind of tires should I get? I was thinking Q2's but wasn't sure. I am not going to track this bike. Mainly just going to be a commuting bike with occasional twists.

Old May 19th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #32
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Tony's Track Days is going to be at the brand-new track in Palmer, MA this coming Monday and Tuesday. Great way to spend part of Memorial Day... Why not take a ride out there, watch, and talk to people? Sit in on a classroom debrief. Learn.

Three Ninjette members will be there, including me.
I'll have to look up what kind of track lessons they have. I kinda want to just go into a beginner class and take it easy with other beginners and maybe have a coach just kinda look over all of us. If I go then you should expect to see the 300.

Also I need to buy a trailer, track suit and boots..

Old May 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #33
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:

On a side note, what kind of tires should I get? I was thinking Q2's but wasn't sure. I am not going to track this bike. Mainly just going to be a commuting bike with occasional twists.
I've heard good things about Pirelli Angel GTs... sport touring but still good on twisties.

Old May 19th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #34
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I'll have to look up what kind of track lessons they have. I kinda want to just go into a beginner class and take it easy with other beginners and maybe have a coach just kinda look over all of us. If I go then you should expect to see the 300.

Come out anyway. You'll learn a lot even if you're not riding. Plus it's cool to hang out... lots of awesome bikes and friendly folks. A lot of us are camping, too, so there's company at the end of the day.

I love the track....

Old May 19th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #35
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Dunlop Q3s are good tires but there are better tires for the street. I feel that michelin makes the best street tires in terms of grip in all conditions vs life. Check out the pilot road series. You want something that will still grip in the rain just in case. You'll destroy any tire quickly at the track so get different tires when you get into track riding, if you do on this bike (pirelli makes the best track tires in my experience but all 3 brands, pirelli - michelin - dunlop, are great for track and street from experience)

Quote:

find a group that does track days near you and check them out, N2 and TPM are a bit south of you and both are good to ride with (I prefer TPM personally) @adouglas may know of a good group to ride with that has good coaching closer to your area, I think he rides with TTD.

I know TPM's beginner day is set up very well (they also love the little 250/300s the coach who ran art (advanced rider training) basic yesterday at VIR was on a 250.

You can rent trailers (at least for the first season or so)
cortech makes good yet inexpensive boots, I've crash tested mine multiple times at speed and they hold up great. I got a sore ankle after the last one and know it would have broken if I didn't have the boot on.

Don't skimp on a track suit, it is your body's lifeline. Fitment is more important than anything else. I got very lucky in that I managed to get a frank thomas suit that fit me perfectly secondhand but this is hard to do. Get a custom fit suit if possible

A*/Dianese are great brands but are expensive
Heroic is my favorite, my next suit will be made by them if possible (runs around a grand but everything this guy makes is super high quality and lasts effectively forever)
Held/Taichi make great suits as well

budget side you are really compromising, they'll still get the job done but they won't do things as well as the better suits. My frank thomas suit protects me well but the legs are mildly uncomfortable and the built in armor feels like it's made of cardboard (particularly in the knees)

Going for a new cheaper suit look into spartan leathers, they're reasonably priced (below $1000) and people that own them really like them in my experience.

One thing to think about is one piece vs two piece, you'll have to decide which one you want. 2pc is more usable for street and track but 1pc doesn't have a zipper that can potentially fail so it's theoretically safer in that instance.

Also, get a back protector if you like being able to walk and ride and want to be more likely to be able to continue doing so if you hit your back

Old May 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #36
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

My Angel ST's lasted 9k Miles on my 1,000 and held fine until the cord showed in the middle, the GTs i replace them with should last longer theoretically.

UHaul rents trailers, or craigslist finds can be had. The first outing is the most expensive (since you have to buy all the gear and everything) After that the only expense if the fact that your going to want to fill your calendar with track days.

Old May 19th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
My Angel ST's lasted 9k Miles on my 1,000 and held fine until the cord showed in the middle, the GTs i replace them with should last longer theoretically.

UHaul rents trailers, or craigslist finds can be had. The first outing is the most expensive (since you have to buy all the gear and everything) After that the only expense if the fact that your going to want to fill your calendar with track days.
agreed, the first is the worst in terms of finances

that and mid-winter trips to jennings...gas isn't cheap when you're driving upwards of 1000mi

Old May 20th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #38
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Solid price. gratz
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2015, 05:48 AM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2015, 08:53 PM   #40
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I'm about to change the oil and I was thinking... would it be worth it to grab a sample of the oil and send it to a lab to be tested? If the price is right then it might be worth it to get a analysis since there's really no other easy way to know what's going on inside that engine lol