ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Do I need to replace my front tire?

Thought I post this quickly before putting on some metal and dead lift my anger into oblivion.
Since I am still learning, I leave Circe at home when I am off to work. Today when I came home, I found out that my father had taken her out and well, now there was a puncture in the front tire.
Fine puncture's happen, no big deal...well...turns out that a sharp screw probably a centimetre or two had embedded itself into the front tire, which has less than 500 kms on it.
Since it's too late to take her a mechanic, I thought that might as well prepare myself for tomorrow, if I have to get another front tire.
So let me know if in your opinion this can be repaired or do I have to prepare myself to shell out for a new tire?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p.jpg (124.4 KB, 30 views)
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Looks like a big hole. I'd replace it if were mine.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #4
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Whenever I do something questionable I regret it, even if it is 'ok', I still would be worried about it every single effin time I look a the bike.

That said, I would take it to the shop, they probably will remove and patch it from the inside. do not plug it!!

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #5
WeekEndRider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki Katana 750

Yes would definitely replace it. Don't take any chances.
WeekEndRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Looks like a big hole. I'd replace it if were mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
Whenever I do something questionable I regret it, even if it is 'ok', I still would be worried about it every single effin time I look a the bike.

That said, I would take it to the shop, they probably will remove and patch it from the inside. do not plug it!!
Same here. Every time I sit on Circe my hands instinctively go to the place I dropped her. I'll patch that place this week but I know that it'll be there in the back of my mind.

I just want to make the right decision here. I don't want to think about it later. I don't want to make one because I don't want to shell out for another tire or because of any other reason.

I tool a metal wire and measured the depth of the hole, since half of the air is already out it's obvious that it penetrated. Without forcing it, the went in about .75 centimetere.
So I guess I am pretty much looking at replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekEndRider View Post
Yes would definitely replace it. Don't take any chances.

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The guide to fire and forget:

Step 1: Get out wallet
Step 2: Count out $$$$
Step 3: Buy what you need
Step 4: Replace busted a$$ item
Step 5: Live happier, with one less thing to worry about
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
The guide to fire and forget:

Step 1: Get out wallet
Step 2: Count out $$$$
Step 3: Buy what you need
Step 4: Replace busted a$$ item
Step 5: Live happier, with one less thing to worry about
Step 2.5: Get a rich girlfriend

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #9
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

^I have heard of mythical creatures called "cougars." Maybe you should begin your research there.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i had a rich girlfriend one time. it was really nice.

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
^I have heard of mythical creatures called "cougars." Maybe you should begin your research there.

Quote:
i had a rich girlfriend one time. it was really nice.

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's true. now she's a lawyer and also has her MBA. i think she mostly does probono work though. i think i heard she married a judge.

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
it's true. now she's a lawyer and also has her MBA. i think she mostly does probono work though. i think i heard she married a judge.
Lawyer + Judge =

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Baron
Urban Legend

Called one place, 205 including installation for a stock size diabolo Rosso II.
Going to call another one another quote.

Quick question : Both the stores are about half an hour away, should I just fill the tire and ride it there or do I somehow temporarily fix it before filling it up and riding it there ?

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Hmmmm....

Part of me says, take it off the bike and transport it there.
The other part of me says you will be fine with a plug with a good seal.

Plug or no... if it will not maintain pressure, do not ride it. It's not worth it.

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #16
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
transport it there.
Part of the problem, no other way of taking it there.

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Part of the problem, no other way of taking it there.
Sorry brah, no friends? Normally a friend will keep me safe and give me a 30 min lift if I ask.

Not hatin' on ya, just being realistic.

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #18
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Sorry brah, no friends? Normally a friend will keep me safe and give me a 30 min lift if I ask.

Not hatin' on ya, just being realistic.
I know.
Most of them are working when I am off. I worked night shift for the past 2 years (give or take a few months), so have most of my friends. I got promoted to supervisor and became a daywalker while they are still hanging on trees at night. xD

That being said, I can travel there by bus, that's not an issue, the problem is taking the bike there with me. I can bring the tire home but I have no clue how to properly install it and I don't want to F*)k it up(epic stoppie + faceplant).
xD

Old June 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Swapping wheels in and out is about as trivial a job there is, as long as you have the right stands. Once you have those, they make just about every other maintenance job more straightforward, so they are worth investing in. With those, getting either wheel on/off is simple, and you can then make sure yourself that it is done correctly. (instructions are in the owners manual, but are duplicated in the service manual as well).

Heck, I usually take my bikes in for oil changes, and I still swap my wheels in the garage. It's just much cheaper and easier to do it that way, and stock the tires myself, rather than having to ride in with the bike to a place that may or may not have the exact tires I want in stock when I need them.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #20
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Swapping wheels in and out is about as trivial a job there is, as long as you have the right stands. Once you have those, they make just about every other maintenance job more straightforward, so they are worth investing in. With those, getting either wheel on/off is simple, and you can then make sure yourself that it is done correctly. (instructions are in the owners manual, but are duplicated in the service manual as well).

Heck, I usually take my bikes in for oil changes, and I still swap my wheels in the garage. It's just much cheaper and easier to do it that way, and stock the tires myself, rather than having to ride in with the bike to a place that may or may not have the exact tires I want in stock when I need them.
I got myself the Venom rear stand some time ago, I didn't bother with a front one at that time and now I can't find a front one sold separately.
I would do it, I have this slight paranoia that I won't be able to balance them properly, if that makes any sense.

Old June 18th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #21
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
I would do it, I have this slight paranoia that I won't be able to balance them properly, if that makes any sense.
I don't even bother to balance my tires anymore. Once I change them I just mount em and go. I used to balance them, it's not hard if you have a couple of jack stands. I stopped bothering though because I couldn't tell a difference in ride, or wear, between a balanced and unbalanced tire.

I guess I you got a tire that was really off balance then maybe it would have an effect, but I think with motorcycle tires the chance of them being way off balance is minimal. Just my experience YMMV
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
If you are taking the wheel with you to have someone mount the tire on the rim, they will balance it for you. It's part of that service.

Yes - you can do the entire process at home and not have to take the wheel or tire in at all, but then yes, you need to have the tire irons, the skills, and anything you'd need if you choose to balance the wheels as well.

You don't need to have a front stand that matches your rear stand. You just need a front stand that is stable.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #23
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
$205 sounds expensive, though I guess if you need it right away it's worth a little extra. The DRII 110/70-17 goes for about $100 online, and the dealers around here charge $30-$40 per tire for mounting (the dealer where I bought my bike did both wheels on the bike for $88 with tires I supplied). $205 sounds like you're paying more for the tire, plus more for mounting.

If you have a jack or something you can put under the engine, you can weight the rear end to hold the back down and lift the front wheel. Or hang the front end from a ladder or rafters. Just pull the whole wheel off and take that to the shop to have them mount and balance the new tire, then bring it home and reinstall it. They should charge you less if they don't have to pull the wheel off the bike also.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/36176_00000 is a cheap front stand. I don't think I'd trust these for constant pit use with a race bike, but the set works well in my garage for occasional maintenance. http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/frontwheel1.jpg

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #24
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If you are taking the wheel with you to have someone mount the tire on the rim, they will balance it for you. It's part of that service.

Yes - you can do the entire process at home and not have to take the wheel or tire in at all, but then yes, you need to have the tire irons, the skills, and anything you'd need if you choose to balance the wheels as well.

You don't need to have a front stand that matches your rear stand. You just need a front stand that is stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
$205 sounds expensive, though I guess if you need it right away it's worth a little extra. The DRII 110/70-17 goes for about $100 online, and the dealers around here charge $30-$40 per tire for mounting (the dealer where I bought my bike did both wheels on the bike for $88 with tires I supplied). $205 sounds like you're paying more for the tire, plus more for mounting.

If you have a jack or something you can put under the engine, you can weight the rear end to hold the back down and lift the front wheel. Or hang the front end from a ladder or rafters. Just pull the whole wheel off and take that to the shop to have them mount and balance the new tire, then bring it home and reinstall it. They should charge you less if they don't have to pull the wheel off the bike also.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/36176_00000 is a cheap front stand. I don't think I'd trust these for constant pit use with a race bike, but the set works well in my garage for occasional maintenance. http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/frontwheel1.jpg
Well that's is more or less the price dealers are quoting me, about 170 for the tires and the rest for installation.
As idiotic as it may sound there are almost no garages in my town that deal with motorcycles. I say almost because there is a dealer who deals in anything but Kawasaki's.

I talked to someone there and they said that they can order and mount the tire on the rim for me, he won't put on the bike for me because "they don't service Kawi's".

So that's two options I have, either drive 30 mins away after temporarily filling it up with air(don't know for how long it'll hold up) or order the front stand, place an order at the one in town, take off the front wheel when the stand does get here and then get it done.

Either way, no riding her this week it seems.

Old June 19th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #25
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Option 2 is a much better idea

Last futzed with by quarterliter; June 19th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #26
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
Option 2 is a much better idea
I'm thinking along the same lines now, I tried to fill it up with air and it didn't even stay up for 20 minutes. So I'll most probably order the front stand tomorrow, when I get it, I'll order the tire from the store and take the front wheel off. I'll take a look at plugging it but I'd rather not drive her with that tire on.

I took a look in the Service Manual, the process seems pretty straight forward, except the cotter pin part.
I know I am being a bit too inquisitive but does anyone have a link to a tutorial or something?

Old June 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #27
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Order the stand and while your at it, got to www.americanmototire.com and order yourself a front tire for cheaper than the BS prices you were given at the shop.

A quote from my thread on tire purchases:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Oh, and that Shinko 740/741 combo is a bit cheaper at BikeBandit (about $121). It'd be cheapest to order the rear from AMT ($1.29 cheaper) and the front from Bandit ($3.04 cheaper) to get it under $120.

Old June 20th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #28
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
Order the stand and while your at it, got to www.americanmototire.com and order yourself a front tire for cheaper than the BS prices you were given at the shop.

A quote from my thread on tire purchases:
I agree, it is ridiculously overpriced here, question would be
A) Do they ship to Canada
B) Import duties <-

Either way, I'll be ordering the front stand when I get home today.