ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:09 PM   #1
s3an78
ninjette.org newbie

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): 1994 ninja 250

Angry petcock leaking

Im new here and i have a few questions im hoping you guys can help with. This petcock started leaking after sitting over winter. I opened it and checked the gaskets and they all look fine, the spring looked weak so i put a stronger one then no gas would flow and bike wouldnt start. So back to old spring now it leaks again. The gaskets alone are like 45 bucks but a new petcock is like 80? even on ebay?? Would a petcock from a new gen 250 work on my 94 or should i just bite the bullet and get the new oem one for 80 buck? Any sellers on here by chance?
s3an78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check the similar threads that now show at the bottom of this page; the last two seem on point for this.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Sean! And good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

stretch the stock spring and call me in the morning. This will give it more push.

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:31 PM   #5
s3an78
ninjette.org newbie

thanks for the replies i will check those threads. but does any1 know if a petcock off a 08+ will fit with a little extra line added?

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3an78 View Post
........This petcock started leaking after sitting over winter...........
Where is it leaking from?
In what position is leaking?

After a while in contact with gasoline it may stop leaking.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:29 AM   #7
s3an78
ninjette.org newbie

it leaks in all positions, it seems to be around where the two metal pieces come together

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM   #8
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Rebuild parts are cheap and commonly available from places like http://www.ronayers.com and http://www.bikebandit.com . If it's flowing fuel in the OFF position or when the engine isn't running then you need a new diaphragm, and if it's leaking externally you need a new gasket. It's super easy to rebuild one of these, basically just take it apart, clean the pieces, put the new parts in, and reassemble. The ones from later model bikes won't work as they've got the mechanism for the fuel level gauge so the mounting pattern is different.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:30 AM   #9
s3an78
ninjette.org newbie

would this one work? looks like it has a vacuum and gas hose
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...389048&alt=web

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3an78 View Post
would this one work? looks like it has a vacuum and gas hose
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...389048&alt=web
It is impossible to respond your question because that depends on the shape of the base and the holes for the bolts matching or not the tank of your bike.

Please read this article:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

As you see, the petcock can only leak in three ways:
1) Around the handle: When the big O-ring has shrunk.
2) Down into the carbs: When the disc-shaped rubber piece has shrunk and/or the spring washer is not putting enough pressure on it.
3) Through a perforated vacuum diaphragm.

If the oval O-ring at the base of the tank has shrunk, fuel could cover the whole petcock, misleading you to think that the leak is originated in the petcock itself.

The vacuum operated valve attached to the diaphragm fails (allows flow of gas into the carbs when the engine is off) when the little O-ring has shrunk and/or the spring is not putting enough pressure on it.

The metal parts never wear out, reason for which you only need to buy the mentioned rubber parts to repair the petcock, ......... or soaking the whole thing in gasoline until the those dried parts (due to a long storage with empty tank) swell back to normal.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:30 AM   #11
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It is impossible to respond your question because that depends on the shape of the base and the holes for the bolts matching or not the tank of your bike.

Please read this article:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

As you see, the petcock can only leak in three ways:
1) Around the handle: When the big O-ring has shrunk.
2) Down into the carbs: When the disc-shaped rubber piece has shrunk and/or the spring washer is not putting enough pressure on it.
3) Through a perforated vacuum diaphragm.

If the oval O-ring at the base of the tank has shrunk, fuel could cover the whole petcock, misleading you to think that the leak is originated in the petcock itself.

The vacuum operated valve attached to the diaphragm fails (allows flow of gas into the carbs when the engine is off) when the little O-ring has shrunk and/or the spring is not putting enough pressure on it.

The metal parts never wear out, reason for which you only need to buy the mentioned rubber parts to repair the petcock, ......... or soaking the whole thing in gasoline until the those dried parts (due to a long storage with empty tank) swell back to normal.
Is the spring you refer to on the right side of the image, above the word automatic?
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #12
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

Has anyone tried to take one of these apart, clean it and then reassemble making certain everything was properly torqued?

I think this is the course I will take since I am going to have to tear into it eventually.

BTW, a quick search revealed a new OEM petcock could be found for just under $60.00 + shipping. According to the FAQ link the rebuild kit is $50.00 + shipping. I don't see the sense in moving forward with a full rebuild if that is the necessary route.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Is the spring you refer to on the right side of the image, above the word automatic?
Yes.

Don't hesitate about taking it apart; it is very simple.
All you need is a repair kit which contains all the soft parts.
Nothing is torque-critical.

Old August 4th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #14
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

I just bought a new one for 65 bucks. The nipple on the old one had come out so after jamming it back on there I figured a new one would be the better buy to stop the leak.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #15
NAFREEK
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Angus

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Partszilla

I have been buying all of my parts from www.partzilla.com and the are all OEM parts. I just got a fuel tap or petcock for under $60. I like them so far. They have saved me tons of cash.
NAFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #16
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I bought one of these kits
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-G...item3f368a99f7
Basically I wanted the diaphragm which had a tiny tear and that fitted fine
but the base gasket was different,
The original '91 plastic washers crumbled and the new ones fitted fine

One problem is that the "vacuum only" taps you can prime by sucking on the vacuum line but it takes very little suction to open the valve. If you suck hard you can tear the diaphragm.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote