ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Possibly taking a 500mi ride. Advice?

Wasn't sure where exactly to post this, Alex. I know you will move it accordingly so thank you in advance if it is in the wrong place

As the title states, I am contemplating riding my Ninja 250 about 500 miles from my house outside of Pittsburgh, PA to a lake house just outside of Knoxville, TN. I really only use my bike for commuting and the occasional 50-60 mile recreational ride, so this would be my longest ride. I would be meeting my family there, so they will be able to take my bags for the week and anything I do not NEED with me.

Given my circumstances, how would you prepare and what would you take with you? Am I crazy for wanting to do this when I could ride comfortably in a car? My main motive behind this trip idea is to venture over to Deal's Gap. I know there are quite a few here with touring experience that can hopefully answer my questions. Thanks

I would be leaving next Friday, October 7th and returning the following weekend on the 15th or 16th.

I copied the above from my post on another forum where I have been given great advice, but I know the more opinions I can get, the better. It has been recommended that I split the riding into 2 days.
So far I know I need a tank or tail bag for holding rain suit, extra layers, phone, first aid, map, and whatever else. As far as apparel goes, here is what I have come up with - Under Armour pants and shirt, some sort of fleece, riding jacket with lining, wool socks, regular socks, riding pants, jeans, rain suit, and a balaclava.
Researching waterproof boot covers to purchase as well.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #2
JarJarBinx19
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarra

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I just pulled a 430 mile ride from the Nor cal to So cal taking the PCH. I didnt have the luxury of splitting the days but frequent breaks were a must. I took a break about every 1.5hours to get refreshed, stretch, etc. I put gas in my bike quite frequently so I could rest and not have to worry about running out of gas during a long stretch. I can tell you, your butt with get sore! But it definitely was an experience I dont regret

Here's what my 11 hour long journey looked like along with a loaded backpack:

JarJarBinx19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You can check out my ride report on my 500+ mile trip. Its a blast, you'll have a lot of fun, just go for it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82689

As far as gear...

1. Rainsuit
2. Travel pillow - if your butt gets sore, you can sit on it for a while to recoup
3. Granola bars, and Water - nice energy source, and stay hydrated
4. GPS - so ya dont get lost
5. Cellphone - so you can call for help if you need to
6. EXTRA KEY TO THE BIKE - put it someplace where you can get to it. It would suck to lose your key in the middle of nowhere
7. Toolkit - never know what you will need to fix
8. Handi-wipes - good for cleaning stuff like visors, headlights, hands, etc.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

You're not crazy. Sounds like fun. Longest trip i've done is 435miles and that took 12 hours only because i spent 4 of them eating and taking pictures of scenery.

Here are some things that I would pack as well.
-tire repair kit (i got the stringy type from slime and a portable slime electric pump)
-sun glasses/extra visor
-extra ear plugs (very important)
-camelbak or a few water bottles (keep sipping even if you have to pull over randomly)
-snacks (i like mixed nuts or trail mix. Good blend of energy vs space it takes up)
-some small medication like advil and antihistamines (worst thing is riding with a headache and a runny nose)
-kleenex (lots of uses, i always end up using it to wipe my visor. Wet it with camelbak to make wet wipes)
-few extra zip lock plastic bags (also very handy)

Also dont forget to prepare your bike:
-lube clutch and throttle cables
-check brake and radiator fluids
-oil change
-lube chain very well
-check tire pressure and tire wear
-check all bolts especially engine mounting bolts

Looks like a long list and i be there are more but I like to be sure everything is in tip top shape before heading on a ride like that. Personally my fear is with flat tires. Usually an easy fix but could leave you stranded.

Goodluck, have fun, and ride safe!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #5
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarJarBinx19 View Post
I just pulled a 430 mile ride from the Nor cal to So cal taking the PCH. I didnt have the luxury of splitting the days but frequent breaks were a must. I took a break about every 1.5hours to get refreshed, stretch, etc. I put gas in my bike quite frequently so I could rest and not have to worry about running out of gas during a long stretch. I can tell you, your butt with get sore! But it definitely was an experience I dont regret

Here's what my 11 hour long journey looked like along with a loaded backpack:

Sweet. That's the exact ride I went on as well. Scenery was ridiculous and the weather was nice and cool. I usually stopped every hour for a couple mins for the sake of stretching.

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Your bike can handle it just fine. We've had a few threads here with advice for long rides, I've linked a few here that might be helpful.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16275
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52370
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73615

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #7
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

A rainsuit and a flat kit is all I ever take and the rainsuit is all I've ever used.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Lonegest ride I've taken was about 300 miles. Wear layers and appropriate clothing!

My legs start to get sore after 90 minutes of riding so I like to stop and walk around.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #9
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

those are good advice so far.

to add, not sure if you've considered, but also a Corbin seat to minimize butt soreness? definitely optional.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #10
dk58
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the input everybody!
I have considered a Corbin seat, but this trip just popped up. I probably wouldn't receive it in time, and I don't really want to spend the money. I know my butt will get sore but I can deal with it

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #11
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Most I ever did was 200 one way. Turned around the next day!

Only thing I can think of.. If you have a lot of long, lonely straights.. Start listening to some new music now, so you can hum/whistle your own tunes on the way down!

Will be leaving on Friday for a 160 miler.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #12
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Seems like it's different for everybody? The longest I'v done is 300 miles and it was fine, then again i pretty regular go on 80-100 mile rides on my bicycle and the Ninja is like being on a sofa compared to that thing.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #13
setasai

I was worried that I wouldnt make it without the corbin seat but took a risk and to be honest, it wasnt bad. I did have to change positions often though but once I got off the bike for 5mins to stretch, I felt like I could go another 50miles no problem. I took 5min breaks every 50-80miles not because I had to but because I wanted to. It gives me time to rest my wrists, hips, butt, and get a drink and/or snack. Small thing to do but adds alot to the enjoyment of the ride/trip.

All this talk about a trip has made me want to go on another one!

Old September 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I do a 400 mile trip quite often to visit my sister in NYC. Just got back on Saturday, actually.
You get used to the stock seat after a while. No need to upgrade. I've done 700 miles in a day on the pregen, and it's really not too bad.
How I do my breaks depends on the roads I'm taking. If I'm taking the Interstate, I only take breaks when I stop for gas, so about every 200 miles. If it's backroads and stuff, I'll take breaks much more frequently, just to explore local places and stuff.

Old September 29th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #15
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Seems like it's different for everybody? The longest I'v done is 300 miles and it was fine, then again i pretty regular go on 80-100 mile rides on my bicycle and the Ninja is like being on a sofa compared to that thing.
Strange, I find my marble slab of a saddle ( Arione) to be much or more comfortable on a 60 mile ride than this Ninja! But, of course, I don't have the vibrations in my hands, butt, or feet.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #16
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

These riding tips from the IBA 'Archive of Wisdom' are pertinent to your 500 mile ride:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Old September 29th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #17
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm totally not kidding: http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Just about every Saturday I do 400-500 miles as my wenend ride day so 500 won't be too bad.

Things you will need are.

1. Water and lots of of it. If you don't have a camel pack you can strap a couple of 1 liter bottles to the passenger foot pegs. I saw a guy on gmr do this and i was amazed I never thought of it. I now have Velcro straps to strap a bottle on either side. Freeze half a bottle for each one then fill them up on your way out. Refill them as needed on the road.

2. Music headphones and some tunes will defiantly help on a long trip. Get in ear ones to help block wind noise as well.

3. Layers of clothing lo g sleeve t shirt, hoodie and either a wind blocker to go over your riding jacket or wind liner inside it.

4. Trail mix best to go to a health food store and get the nuts and dried fruit from the bins and make it to your taste. Lots of nuts, cranberries/raisins and some chocolate chips will provide a lot of energy for your trip and with the water strapped to the bike you can then make your rest stops based on when you need to rest.

5. Rest BEFORE you think you need to. if you wait till you are a bit sore or tired the next leg of you trip you will get that way sooner. Better to get te rest stops I. Early so you stay at peak comfort for the entire ride.

6. Eat two bananas on your way out te door. The potassium will help prevent leg cramps that can come with 500+ miles on the bike. Add this with proper hydration and you should be good to go.

7. Avoid fast food on the road, nothing sucks more then being on a bike for hours after eating ****** food, at least for me hence why I bring homage trail mix.

8. A camera, this will be a fun trip with lots to see, you WILL want pictures.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

The longest ride I've ever done was roughly 150 miles. I really can't say by experience what you should do, but if Havok didn't post that brilliant response, I'd have said similar things, except I wouldn't have thought of the water bottles strapped to passenger foot pegs idea.

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #20
dk58
ninjette.org member

Great advice everybody.
I knew there would be many things I wouldn't think of, but with all the input I received I think I will be very well prepared. Going to find out if my cousins are okay with me riding tonight.

It's probably a good idea for me to put the stock exhaust back on for this as well haha

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #21
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk58 View Post

It's probably a good idea for me to put the stock exhaust back on for this as well haha
What exhaust do you have on now? If you have a full exhaust then you'd have to rejet it if you put the stock exhaust back on. In anycase, if it's running fine, dont mess with stuff like that before the trip. Unless of course you're just saying you yanked it off and there's no exhaust system at all.

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #22
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

+1 on the music. my ipod seems to do fine and last me at least 8 hours. Also if you dont have one already, buy or fill a little bottle of spray and bring a cloth to clean the bugs off your helmet at stops.

another optional tip, to help reduce butt soreness on my trip from San Diego to San Jose, I used and folded my jacket liner; stuffed the inside of my riding pants for some extra cushion.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #23
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
+1 on the music. my ipod seems to do fine and last me at least 8 hours. Also if you dont have one already, buy or fill a little bottle of spray and bring a cloth to clean the bugs off your helmet at stops.
I usually just bring blue paper towels and use water from my water bottle instead of carrying another spray bottle. Either works but one thing is for sure, NEVER try to use your gloves. Smears the hell out of it and you cant see a thing.

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #24
austinm911
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I just did a 160 mile ride during the weekend. I've done about two rides that far but i've only been driving for about 1500 miles since last october. A 500 mile ride seems INTENSE
austinm911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
For your ass

For your balls

For that transient whore you found on the street

To defend against that transient whore's pimp

To get rid of whatever she gave you

And to repent for what you've done

Have fun
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #26
Powerlogix
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

^^^^
Powerlogix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #27
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
I am contemplating riding my Ninja 250 about 500 miles from my house outside of Pittsburgh, PA to a lake house just outside of Knoxville, TN.
bringing this back to life...I am taking a similar trip from Reading, PA to Roanoke, VA two weekends from now. after your trip, what would you recommend bringing and what tips do you have? the longest i have ridden is just under two hours, and the trip im taking is about 6.
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #28
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I make it a point to go on one 300+ mile ride in a day on my weekends. I usually bring nothing more than a cell phone, the gear on my body, some money, my wallet/ID, and the tool kit under the seat of the bike. I used to wear my iPod on highway stretches, but it broke, so now I need a new one. Unless I have a destination, then I bring whatever I'll need in my backpack. I travel lightly haha. For preparation I rest well and eat well along the way.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #29
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
I make it a point to go on one 300+ mile ride in a day on my weekends. I usually bring nothing more than a cell phone, the gear on my body, some money, my wallet/ID, and the tool kit under the seat of the bike. I used to wear my iPod on highway stretches, but it broke, so now I need a new one. Unless I have a destination, then I bring whatever I'll need in my backpack. I travel lightly haha. For preparation I rest well and eat well along the way.
well, im leaving at 5am, and my mom is leaving at 8am for the same place with all of my "excess gear", so i dont really need to take much. i just needed some riding advice. i think im just gonna get some gel biking pants bc my butt gets sore.
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #30
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

in addition to what everyone else said

do a TCLOCS check before the ride.
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf

wear some comfortable gear, and stay hydrated.
take regular breaks for water, food, and fuel.

stretch your legs before the ride if there's lots of bad roads.

if your riding the freeway, stay in the left tire track of the speed lane.
i find this to be the smoothest portion of the road
swerve into the emergency shoulder if need be, but don't brake hard.

two lane roads stay near the right.
be alert for crest and valleys during your travels,
position yourself to swerve when going up hill, so you'll be ready for obstacles after the crest.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #31
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmSAE View Post
well, im leaving at 5am, and my mom is leaving at 8am for the same place with all of my "excess gear", so i dont really need to take much. i just needed some riding advice. i think im just gonna get some gel biking pants bc my butt gets sore.
Meh, I'm 19. I don't get sore, and if I do I just don't care. Ah, I love being young. All the guys I work with are at least 6+ years older than me, but usually twice my age, and I never have any idea what they're complaining about. It rules.

I'll take breaks, walk around for a few minutes, move around on the seat, keep blood flowing by supporting my ass off the seat by putting weight on my pegs and supporting myself with my core. On long highway stretches for a few miles I'll even sit on the passenger seat to give my legs a stretch. Looks funny, but most people aren't 6'1", all leg, and riding a Ninja 250. I do what I gotta and it works good.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #32
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I go on 250 mi trips pretty regularly and I gotta say avoid long stretches of straight highway... it's rough.