ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #1
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Hello world!

Probable first time 250 owner here. I've been presented with an offer I can't refuse. Due to career changes and a divorce, a family friend has offered up his '09 to me for free (just have to come get it) if I want it. The caveat is the bike has been sitting in his garage, unridden for two years. No, he didn't winterize or drain or anything prior to parking. I know this will need some work.

1. Drain gas tank, fuel lines, carbs
2. Drain oil (and refill)
3. Clean carbs
4. Flush brakes
5. Check tires
6. Charge or replace battery
7. Lubricate chain
8. Lubricate clutch cable
9. Flush coolant

Not necessarily in that order, but those are what I came up with off the top of my head after a quick browsing through maintenance items. Any other suggestions? Bike comes with a jacket and I already have a helmet. It has been a few years since last riding but I have taken the MSF course and have my M endorsement. I have been wrenching on my own cars for many years so I'm not afraid of getting my hands greasy, but this will be a first project bike for me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
SuperG$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Geoff!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Welcome Geoff!
Super easy bike to work on but first thing to do is buy a genuine Shop Service Manual. Probably a C note but worth every penny and will save you hours of frustration, wrong and expensive hit & miss repairs to problems.
First thing to do is make sure all safety items are operating properly; brakes, lights, change all fluids etc. Your carbs probably will need a thorough cleaning too. If that's intimidating you may want to send them out to have them done properly. Ducatiman (I always screw up his name! Someone will link it shortly) has a great reputation here for quick, quality work at a decent price. If it were me; I'd take a shot at cleaning them myself first. Lots of YouTube links to help you with that.
You may also want to consider new tires. Those are at least two years old but may be still ok if stored properly. Cheap insurance for new rubber though.
Tons of links here and at that other ninja site for How To stuff that when guided by your shop manual will make you a Ninja 250 master mechanic almost overnight.
Dirt cheap to insure & operate so take up on your friends offer!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Welcome Geoff!
Super easy bike to work on but first thing to do is buy a genuine Shop Service Manual. Probably a C note but worth every penny and will save you hours of frustration, wrong and expensive hit & miss repairs to problems.
First thing to do is make sure all safety items are operating properly; brakes, lights, change all fluids etc. Your carbs probably will need a thorough cleaning too. If that's intimidating you may want to send them out to have them done properly. Ducatiman (I always screw up his name! Someone will link it shortly) has a great reputation here for quick, quality work at a decent price. If it were me; I'd take a shot at cleaning them myself first. Lots of YouTube links to help you with that.
You may also want to consider new tires. Those are at least two years old but may be still ok if stored properly. Cheap insurance for new rubber though.
Tons of links here and at that other ninja site for How To stuff that when guided by your shop manual will make you a Ninja 250 master mechanic almost overnight.
Dirt cheap to insure & operate so take up on your friends offer!
Pretty well said. If regular maintenance hasn't been done, I wouldn't be surprised if the tires are original and pushing 7 years old.

IF the bike has over 7,000 miles on it you want to check the valve clearance.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Some NGK plugs wouldn't hurt.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

When you first start the bike make sure you can do a 12 o'clock wheelie. If you can't the blinker fluid is probably low.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #7
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

That bike is beyond repair, come drop it off at my house.
Pretty much covered everything, mainly the old gas issue would be your biggest
concern.

Old April 19th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, after sitting, I wouldn't trust anything that can "turn" bad. My hubby had a bike that sat for a long time, and its biggest problem was the fuel system had gotten clogged.

Hope you get it running and welcome to the board!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

You should also clean and grease the shock linkage and the steering stem bearings. Inspect the wheel bearings, chain, and sprockets. And if it was up to me, I'd say toss the tires and get new ones. Btw

Old April 19th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #10
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice. It is looking like I will be picking the bike up this weekend. My wife was really displeased when I talked this through with her after dinner, but recognizes that it will be a fun project for me. My 4yr old loves to help turn wrenches too. He was actually helpful when I changed spark plugs and valve cover gaskets on our old Suby wagon recently.

Wheelies and blinker fluid? do these Kaws take a special GL5 type? One of my buddies is into MGs and Triumph cars. I kept a spare bottle of official Lucas Wire Smoke in my cabinet for him.

Serious question again -- I will have to tow this back to my house. My plan was to hire a utility trailer from Home Depot and strap it down. Would I be better off borrowing a pick up truck? Thanks!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
U Haul trailers have a front wheel detente and they're super cheap to rent. But if the pickup is free...
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old April 20th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #12
HoneyBadgerRy

Divorce, Wife... I'm confused. Anyway, I'd reccomend a trailer. Trailers make life much easier than loading it in a truck.

Old April 20th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #13
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Divorce, Wife... I'm confused.
The person who is offering me the bike is going through divorce. My wife is doing her best to feign support for my project. There will be a quiz at the end of class

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #14
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG$ View Post
The person who is offering me the bike is going through divorce. My wife is doing her best to feign support for my project. There will be a quiz at the end of class
Ohh the family friend has the career change and divorce. Now I get it, they are doing the throw everything out and start life over thing. I too thought you were going through the divorce and career change and were taking up motorcycle riding because the wife wouldn't let you when you were married.

My wife wasn't overly happy with the first bike, the second one started to piss her off, until she found out how little I spent on them and how cheap they are to insure, the 3rd and 4th she was just kind of numb to. But now 2 of my kids ride and another one is signing up for his BRC next month. Now if I could just get her on a bike. (but then I would need a 5th one)
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #15
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
But now 2 of my kids ride and another one is signing up for his BRC next month. Now if I could just get her on a bike. (but then I would need a 5th one)
Those are nice problems to have

My wife is absolutely convinced that I'll be turned into a stain on the road within 10 feet of leaving our driveway. We live in a gated community. She is well aware that the operating costs are relatively insignificant, but she cannot reconcile the thought of me getting killed (or worse) and leaving her a widow and our sons without a dad. I get it. I don't want to be a paraplegic or become an organ donor. But I also don't want to live in a bubble. I used to be very active with local and regional car clubs as a track day instructor. While she was pregnant with our second, I had an incident at Mosport. Riding with a student, a car in front of us lost a radiator hose and we ended up in the wall. Thankfully just had some bruising from the harness on my shoulders, but that was enough for her. I've dialed participation way back mainly so I can spend more weekends home with family, but she's relieved that I'm not taking "unnecessary" risks* I'll cross those bridges when I get to them. For now, I just need to get the bike home and get it running again.

I was shopping for tires. Perusing through the forums and product reviews, I see everyone has their own opinion. I'm leaning towards the Dunlops that are like OEM just for the sake of simplicity. Thoughts?

*I will argue to my grave that track days, even with 100% open passing, are safer than any daily commute during rush hour.

Old April 20th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #16
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
You know the main solution: show your wife your registration for advanced road riding school courses. Notice that's plural and not racing school (though that's an excellent addition!)
As an instructor it's a no brainer. As a driving instructor; do not delude yourself that you know it already. Helicopters & aeroplanes both fly but are not the same!

Old April 20th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #17
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
I was shopping for tires. Perusing through the forums and product reviews, I see everyone has their own opinion. I'm leaning towards the Dunlops that are like OEM just for the sake of simplicity. Thoughts?
I don't remember what comes on the newgen, but the pregen dunlops are commuter tires, you should definitely go for a performance tire.

I would recommend the battlax s20's

Old April 20th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #18
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
You know the main solution: show your wife your registration for advanced road riding school courses. Notice that's plural and not racing school (though that's an excellent addition!)
As an instructor it's a no brainer. As a driving instructor; do not delude yourself that you know it already. Helicopters & aeroplanes both fly but are not the same!
No doubt. I would agree I am a "consciously incompetent" rider right now. MSF is a wonderful program, but going forward there is no substitute for more practice and formal training.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #19
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
I would agree I am a "consciously incompetent" rider right now.
::giggle:: Yeah, I'm there, too.

As far as tires, my bike came with OEM Dunlops and husband told me they were awful. We just replaced my back tire (did the front a few weeks ago) and he pronounced it a huge improvement. I'm not up to riding corners and whatnot that would show any difference between the two sets of tires, so I haven't really noticed yet but I trust his opinion.

What you want will depend on how you ride. I'm a recreational rider, so we went with something a bit less durable but more fun.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote