ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

First time on the freeway

I bought my 04 ninjette last October and since then have just had my temps, so I had never been on the freeway. Well I just got my full license last week so decided today would be a good day to try out the freeway.

Going one direction everything was fine, but when I turned around to head back, I had the throttle wide open but could barely get the bike above 65-70mph even in a full tuck. It's a little bit windy today (and I was definitely heading into the wind on the way back) but it's just breezy. No huge gusts or anything. Is it normal for the 250 to be affected by such little amounts of wind?

I've never had the bike professionally checked out, so maybe it just needs a tune up. I really have no idea. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I weight about 175, so I wouldn't assume it's my body weight bogging the bike down or anything. So at least that is ruled out. haha
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Can you do the basic 600 mile service to check most simple stuff yourself?

When was it last serviced?
Any mods to the bike?
Crazy sized sprockets?
Under heavy head winds and uphill that can be normal for a 175lb rider with a 15/42 sprocket setup.

Check your air filter too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Can you do the basic 600 mile service to check most simple stuff yourself?

When was it last serviced?
Any mods to the bike?
Crazy sized sprockets?
Under heavy head winds and uphill that can be normal for a 175lb rider with a 15/42 sprocket setup.

Check your air filter too.
The girl I bought it from said she had it last serviced about two years ago. Everything is completely stock though. No aftermarket sprockets or anything of that nature.

Since buying it I've done some basic maintenance like oil changes, coolant and brake fluid replacement, new tires, etc. But have never checked valves or carbs, and I'm not sure if she ever had it done either. So that definitely should get taken care of soon (the bike has 9100 miles on it).

I'll head out and check the air filter now and see what it looks like.

EDIT: Just pulled the air filter and it's not terribly dirty but it is starting to get some abrasion and thin spots in it. As I was washing it, tiny pieces of foam were being left on my hand. So it definitely needs and new one. Hopefully it didn't let any foam into the carbs yet.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
.......Is it normal for the 250 to be affected by such little amounts of wind?
Not for a stock Ninjette with only 9100 miles on it.

The two main culprits may be valves out of adjustment and improper fuel mix (dirty carbs, poorly vented tank, clogged fuel filters, clogged air filter).

However, many other things could be adding up to subtract performance from an engine that is basically unworn; some of which could be:

Wrong oil grade, bad spark plugs, low tires' pressure, locked brake's calipers, rusted chain, over-tensioned chain.

Recheck the last one, since you have removed and replaced the rear wheel.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

I would do every single service task in the manual sooner than later.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Just got back from the store and picked up a new air filter, got it installed and took it for a test ride. I can immediately notice an improvement in how smooth the engine is running. Before, every so often the bike would seem to stutter as it went up in RPM's but I didn't experience any of that on my test ride. And the idle was noticeably smoother.

Whether or not that fixed the highway speed problem, I'm not sure. I'll have to head back over to the freeway tomorrow when I have some more free time.

In the mean time, you guys have definitely given me some stuff to check over. So thank you for that! I'll recheck the chain tension tonight and hopefully get it into the shop soon to have the valves adjusted and carbs checked.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

I was able to hit 80 very easily on my beat up Ninja. I am certain I could have gone well over that without any effort but I guess results may very. It seems every bike is a bit different.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You are welcome, Adam.

Be very attentive on the freeway.

Practice evasion maneuvers and progressive braking from high-medium speeds.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124754

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114372

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121405

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120133

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74072
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Tommy, where in OH are you? If you're in the Cleveland/Akron area, I'd be willing to take your bike for a spin in a week or two after I get home from school and get a chance to work on my bike a bit.

Also, if you're in my area and really need a motorcycle shop, I highly recommend MPH. They have two locations. They're a bit pricey, but they don't skimp on anything. I respect their work on my bike and the 4 other unrelated families I know who use them.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #9
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Tommy, where in OH are you? If you're in the Cleveland/Akron area, I'd be willing to take your bike for a spin in a week or two after I get home from school and get a chance to work on my bike a bit.

Also, if you're in my area and really need a motorcycle shop, I highly recommend MPH. They have two locations. They're a bit pricey, but they don't skimp on anything. I respect their work on my bike and the 4 other unrelated families I know who use them.
Thanks, chone! Unfortunately, I'm down just east of Columbus which is a little far from both you and MPH. We have Iron Pony Motorsports down here but as far as I know they don't do any engine work other than oil/filter changes. I may have to look for a smaller local shop. I do know of one place around here but their rate is $75.00 per hour, plus materials. That seems a little steep, but maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Drat. Well Nautica and I will be making a little trip south to visit Iron Pony so I can fit leathers. We'll let you know when. Hopefully you can meet up with us and go drool at the lovely gear.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #11
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Haha they do have quite a bit of it! I was just there today picking up that air filter and I get googly eyes every time I walk in.