Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #1
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Small Displacement Bike for Track Days

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a bike that I can ride on the street with a bit more aggression than a 600cc sportbike. I want to be able to open up the throttle and really bang through the gears without fear of loosing my license or death.

At the same time I want a bike that will be a blast to ride on the track.

I currently ride a 2009 FZ6. It's a great bike that can do just about everything, however, it doesn't do anything exceptionally well. So I'm looking to get something a little bit more exciting to ride.

I've done three track days in total so far, so I'm still very much a new track rider.

So I guess my question is, do you guys think the RC390 will be enough to entertain me for track days? I know it'll be enough power for the street (for me anyways), it also looks like small bikes are a blast to ride in small cc races, however, will it still be fun to ride when most everyone else is on a 600cc+ bike?

Before anyone points out that I'm asking about a KTM on a Kawasaki forum I would like to mention I know this. However, this forum seems to have the most active small bike user group so I figured the responses would be best.

Old October 13th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You used to own a new gen. The RC390 is a competitor for its successor.

Based on that, you tell me.

Without riding one, yes it will fit your needs. Can't go wrong with any of the small bikes in the "I want to be aggressive without doing triple digits" department. You know already tha you can still be in the losing license category of stupid on a 250 though. And look how many small displacement race series there are. Yes you'll be fine on the track with the big boys. You'll just have to do some defensive line choice on the straights and transitions because of the speed differential on big tracks. It's totally a blast being passed on straights and making it up in the curvy sections.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #3
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Well, I know I'll be happy on the street.

I just don't have any experience riding anything smaller than a 600cc bike at the track.

Is it scary when the big bikes come flying past you on the straights? Will I consistently be held up in the corners?

I don't really care for top speed on the straights that much, I know in isolation riding a small bike at the track would be a blast for me. (I'm actually going to start taking my Grom to kart tracks soon.)

However, I'm still in the novice group on the track. I'm worried that I'll be one of a few little bikes out there. Hopefully they won't stick me into the slow group? Do you just hot pit when you get held up by a larger bike on the straights? The no corner passing rule seems like it will make riding a slow bike a bit tricky.

On a side note, being an ex-ninjette rider myself, I really want to like the Ninja 300. It just doesn't have the "supersport" good looks of the KTM. Even though the KTM still has budget bits it looks like a proper supersport to me, whereas the Kawi looks like a beginner bike.

Old October 13th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I just don't have any experience riding anything smaller than a 600cc bike at the track.

Is it scary when the big bikes come flying past you on the straights? Will I consistently be held up in the corners?

However, I'm still in the novice group on the track. I'm worried that I'll be one of a few little bikes out there. Hopefully they won't stick me into the slow group? Do you just hot pit when you get held up by a larger bike on the straights? The no corner passing rule seems like it will make riding a slow bike a bit tricky.

On a side note, being an ex-ninjette rider myself, I really want to like the Ninja 300. It just doesn't have the "supersport" good looks of the KTM. Even though the KTM still has budget bits it looks like a proper supersport to me, whereas the Kawi looks like a beginner bike.
Your questions from the perspective from both sides of the fence;

Scary to get passed? Not really, has nothing to do with the bike overall, more to do with the rider.
Held up in corners? Not really, has nothing to do with the bike overall, more to do with the rider.
Will you be one of the few little bikes out there? yep, most likely. does it matter? not at all if you're having the same amount of fun.
Will you be put in the slow group? You mean the novice group? naw, unless that is where your riding skills say you belong. Although, more and more track orgs are putting small cc bikes in the I group due to closing speed concerns.
Passing rules and straights? Hot pit as needed, this has nothing to do with the bike as the same issues affect others riding larger bikes, more to do with the rider.
Little bikes tricky to ride? Naw, just have to weigh the pro's and cons, high power/torque bikes allow the rider to make up the speed scrubbed off on corner entry, whereas low power bikes force the rider to keep the speed up on entry as there is no quick way to get the pace back. Rider's style plays a large role.

Looks like a ss? Sorry, your comments currently conflict with each other. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some think the 300 is dead sexy, others not so much and long for a r1/rc8 clone with a little engine.

If you're interested in riding skillz, then buy the bike that allows you to do the type of riding you want to do. Looks play 2nd chair.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #5
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

the KTM has a slight power advantage over the 250/300/R3. BUT, it's very track dependent. A small track and that advantage goes away quickly. Then rider skill rises to the top.

Any of the usual suspects will do what you want on a nice reasonable operating budget.

With the bonus of even being faster in the corners than the big bikes. When the rider has the skills. (read, it's fun deflating ego's)
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #6
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
The RC390 is drool worthy! I would love one! But then, what would I have to tinker with? It's perfect!

Is it scary to be passed by bigger bikes? The first two times maybe.

Is it frustrating to high hell when the big bikes park it in the corners? Absolutely!

Is it all worth it when all the big bikes pass you in the straight and you fight your way back through the corners just to be passed on the straight again? Lap after lap after lap absolutely!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I vote supermoto! KLX250sf, DRZ400, or WR250x

ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #8
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Your questions from the perspective from both sides of the fence;

Scary to get passed? Not really, has nothing to do with the bike overall, more to do with the rider.
Held up in corners? Not really, has nothing to do with the bike overall, more to do with the rider.
Will you be one of the few little bikes out there? yep, most likely. does it matter? not at all if you're having the same amount of fun.
Will you be put in the slow group? You mean the novice group? naw, unless that is where your riding skills say you belong. Although, more and more track orgs are putting small cc bikes in the I group due to closing speed concerns.
Passing rules and straights? Hot pit as needed, this has nothing to do with the bike as the same issues affect others riding larger bikes, more to do with the rider.
Little bikes tricky to ride? Naw, just have to weigh the pro's and cons, high power/torque bikes allow the rider to make up the speed scrubbed off on corner entry, whereas low power bikes force the rider to keep the speed up on entry as there is no quick way to get the pace back. Rider's style plays a large role.

Looks like a ss? Sorry, your comments currently conflict with each other. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some think the 300 is dead sexy, others not so much and long for a r1/rc8 clone with a little engine.

If you're interested in riding skillz, then buy the bike that allows you to do the type of riding you want to do. Looks play 2nd chair.
You completely missed my point. Spooph is much closer.

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
You completely missed my point. Spooph is much closer.
Understood, although I find it odd that we basically said the same thing aside of spooph said he drooled over the ktm. It's ok though... no harm no foul.

Here is some other perspective to YOUR questions that ARE NOT my words.

"I can just hotpit when that guy on the liter bike parks it." - (knows how to play well with others)
"That rider on cbr is crazy fast in the corners, it's like he is taking the same lines as me?!?!?!" (cbr rider knows how to REALLY turn a motorcycle)
"I am an A rider, but stuck in the I group because I ride a smaller cc bike. They blow by me in the straights but I pass em back by turn 3. " (smaller cc bike rider knows alternate lines around the track)

Overall, I may have misunderstood your context in this thread. Your thread title concerns small bikes at the track, yet your comment text pertain to rider skills on said small cc bikes.

My bad, I will let others take the reins here.

Best of luck to your sir.

Old October 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #10
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Overall, I may have misunderstood your context in this thread. Your thread title concerns small bikes at the track, yet your comment text pertain to rider skills on said small cc bikes.

My bad, I will let others take the reins here.

Best of luck to your sir.
I think we're closer than you think.

Perhaps I'll try to reword my questions.

Quote:
What I meant was, will I constantly get passed on the straights by riders who are slower than me in the corners forcing me to rider slower for an entire lap before I can hot pit?

My FZ6 already can't overtake supersports on the straights, so I just hot pit and give myself some distance. However, I don't get passed that often so I'm typically only dealing with lapped traffic.

This isn't the biggest issue for me though, I think I could live with that. I'm more concerned with the next point.

Quote:
I'm already in novice. I'm just concerned if I'll be able to ride with the "faster" novice guys or if they will stick me in the group that doesn't know how to corner. :/ It would really suck putting around the first 3-4 sessions of the day.

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I think we're closer than you think.

Perhaps I'll try to reword my questions.

What I meant was, will I constantly get passed on the straights by riders who are slower than me in the corners forcing me to rider slower for an entire lap before I can hot pit?

My FZ6 already can't overtake supersports on the straights, so I just hot pit and give myself some distance. However, I don't get passed that often so I'm typically only dealing with lapped traffic.

This isn't the biggest issue for me though, I think I could live with that. I'm more concerned with the next point.

I'm already in novice. I'm just concerned if I'll be able to ride with the "faster" novice guys or if they will stick me in the group that doesn't know how to corner. :/ It would really suck putting around the first 3-4 sessions of the day.
Sorry, I don't want this thread to take a negative direction due to my poorly worded response. Let's get you sorted... and everybody's comments are welcome!

Ok, I feel where you are coming from but my answers are not gunna change that much aside of giving you additional info.

Will you get passed by slower riders, that effect your riding for the remainder of the lap(s). - Sure you will! Like I originally stated, this is not bike dependant and is where rider skills and track org rules come into play. For example; Mid-Ohio does NOT allow passing for the first 3 sessions and for the remaining 4 sessions, only allow passing on the back straight. This can be and IS frustrating to some faster N group riders. All in all though, it's for the safety of all involved, moving from N to I (like I know you will someday) is more than just speed. It's many things, pace, lines, consistency, focus, reaction to others on the track, prediction and general track day etiquette. Having 3 days under your belt is a great start! Keep going!!! But depending on the track, the track org/rules and the mix of riders you have been exposed to and/or that day, it may or may not be enough, some days are just faster than others. It's nothing personal, we just try to keep everyone as safe as possible, while trying to keep smiles on everyone's faces. If you are not having the day you are expecting, find a coach and have them address any issues you are coming up against. We love to help. On the flip side, some track orgs have very, very relaxed passing rules for the N group. A little research can serve you well if you feel me. /hint /hint

Will you be stuck with riders that don't know how to corner just because of a small cc bike? You shouldn't be, and if you are... you should look into possibly riding with another track org that is more fitting to YOU. Where I come from, SV's and sub 100hp bikes can ride in A if the rider knows his/her sheet, 250's can ride in A or I depending on the pace of mix of riders that day (not always though), supermoto's almost always ride in I if the rider has the skills. Like I was saying, there are pro's and cons to every bike/rider/track combo, but the overall groupings are mostly the same from track to track, org to org and what not. "Get in where you fit in" and don't worry about the label so much as long as you are puttin' in werk.

If you would like, I can give you the phone number of a gsxr 750 rider that will happily chat with you about how my 250 times were faster than his times. Yes.... he passed me on the straights, yes, it was frustrating to hit the brakes to not asspack him in the corners, ect... ect... Honestly, I am nothing special, you will experience the same things as I did. Your attitude and how you deal with it will define you as a rider, the bike... will either help you or hurt you in this choice you make. We still had a great time battling back and forth, which can also teach you things you don't learn in a classroom.

When you run upon a slower rider in the corners, you can choose to roll through hot pit or find an alternate line that allows a clean pass.
When you passed on the straight by a faster rider, you can see if you can catch a tow or get frustrated and ride harder than you normally would and throw out learning just to try to keep up or pass. :\
When getting passed with a speed differential of nearly 80mph can be spooky at first, but that is why you are in N for X number of days. A coach should expose you to this first, so when it happens when your on your own (no matter the bike), you can compose yourself as needed to be safe.

I could go on and on and on and on and on... but you get the idea.

Ride the bike that brings a smile to your face, the rest can be worked out as needed.

ps... If yamaha hadden't released the r3, the ktummm would have been my #1 choice, but I am a horrible critic, as I love all bikes for what they offer.

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #12
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Thanks! I think you covered all of my questions that time.

On a side note, I'm actually really torn between the R3 and RC390. Mostly on aesthetic points though, not so much on performance issues. I would really prefer to buy the R3 as I'm a bit of a Yamaha fan boy, but for whatever reason I'm simply more attracted to the RC390.

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

oh... and one more thing, check out MCRA as your are in IL. They will take care of you, and if your track season is over like mine is ... come to Putnam next year with them. I will be there too. I got a beer with your name on it and will save you a pit spot. I know the guys, we will get you squared away.

EDIT:
Quote:
Thanks! I think you covered all of my questions that time.

I would really prefer to buy the R3 as I'm a bit of a Yamaha fan boy, but for whatever reason I'm simply more attracted to the RC390.
I feel that, it was a really, really tough choice for me too. It literally came down to cost of operation/ownership. I just have more experience with yami engines and service. :\ Even though I think the 390 is a better base track platform.

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #14
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

People always tell me to check out Putnam, problem is it's four hours away from my house. Which isn't the end of the world, but Blackhawk Farms and Autobahn are within an hour and a half. I guess it depends on how many track days I plan on doing next year.

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Only 4hrs...

lol

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #16
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Only 4hrs...

lol
Hey man.... when you have a track 1.5 hours away and your too big of a rookie to be bored with it.... why drive an extra 5 hours?!

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
my completely uneducated, some what bias and gut feeling on the matter.

R3 is considerably cheaper IMO, it's a twin <--(bias, i like twins as a road bike vs a single) and there will most likely be a ton of aftermarket options for the R3 coming out and guys that tinker a lot with it and figure out awesome DIY much like the little ninjas. It is a Japanese bike, it should feel familiar in every way including working on it.

as much as i got excited about the rc390 i would most likely get an R3 over it any day of the week for the reasons i listed above, but mainly because price and it's a twin.

The whole track question stuff, well i gotz no experience with that but i assume it is much like most things, you will get used to it and learn.

BUT in the end, get what you truly desire whether you think it is the best or not otherwise you will always have that thought in the back of your mind "Man... i should have gotten a _____" At least if you get the thing you desire and it isn't all you hoped and dreamed you can jump ship and feel good about the decision and chalk it up as (you gave it a go)

my 2 pennies

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Hey man.... when you have a track 1.5 hours away and your too big of a rookie to be bored with it.... why drive an extra 5 hours?!
Why?

Because "the people" make or break it. Many will haul 5+hrs to ride with a group that makes "their" day great vs ride with a group that just runs them through for the $$.

Old October 13th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
They may stick in in the I group max, but then you'll be able to practice poaching Keeping A group pace on a 250 takes some big ones.

Yes, just hot pit and find a break in traffic. Last time I was at the track, I rode I group. I started from the back, and the faster riders were just starting to lap me at the end of the session. Aka, an entire session of open track for me.

Yeah, that rule sucks and isn't fair to smaller bikes. But once the instructors see that you're consistently being passed on the straight and held up in the corners, they typically will make a comment to other riders to not park it in front of you. That's what they did for me last time I was in N group. I got lots of space after that. As you get into higher pace groups, the other riders are better about that and will give you space if you can hold their pace.

Old October 14th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Dang... ya know Benji, I totally forgot that your local track group MCRA has at least 1 390 track rider/racer. @DCMoney a member here also, might have time to elaborate specifically about any 390 concerns, fun and general shenanigans as he has more experience with that specific bike.

Maybe he will convince us both to buy one.

Old October 14th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #21
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

There's a lot to comment on.

Whether you're on a 250, 390, 600, SV, GSXR 750 there's always going to be a guy on a liter bike (or bigger) blowing past you on the straight just to park it in the corner. We (novice control riders) tell all the riders it's not a drag race, if you're parking it in the corners you're likely holding up faster riders behind you, be courteous.

With MCRA we have found what works really well with the novice group and that is to separate the group into 4 individual groups when lining up at pit out. 1-4 where 1 is fast novice guys and 4 is I'm brand new and never been on a track before. Everyone is released at the same time with CR's separating each group. This has been working extremely well the past few season.

As a novice CR If I saw If you're riding that well in novice I'd see if you felt you were ready to bump. Personally it sounds like you should be in intermediate anyway.

On to the 390:

I LOVE MINE! With that said, it's a brand new bike and it needs development to go faster. I know with development this bike can and will be fast, and it feels great! Light, nimble, has great torque, looks great (opinion), if you look at all the details and the chassis of the bike it's a step way above even the R3. Has USD forks, a swing arm designed around strength and rigidity, not just a rectangular tube welded to a pivot.

The 390 has had its downsides as well, very little aftermarket support. Companies are slowly releasing parts but it's taken a lot longer than I expected. To go faster it has to have a rear shock and not just a GSXR rear made to fit, I put a Penske double clicker on my 390. Stock suspension at Hallett this year I drug the left side case cover going through a corner during a race.

OEM parts were harder to get back in May but now its about 8 days from the time I order till I get the parts I need, so not that bad.

My personal racing experience:

Raced it stock in May ran a 1:18:5 at Gateway (home track)
Raced it upgraded in September (springs and heavier fluid, Penske rear, SC1 front SC2 Rear, +2 on the rear sprocket, PCV with autotune, still stock exhaust though) 1:14:7 at gateway.

When I ran my 250 bone stock at Gateway a few years back 1:25:3. Now I do have more time on small bikes since then and I did eventually run a 1:15:3 on a modified 250 but it took development and time.

250s that have had years of development and squeezed every performance gain out of it are still faster than a 390 with the right rider. There's a few performance parts suppose to be coming out this winter that I think will make the 390 a little faster biggest thing for me would be to lose 50 pounds...

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I'm someone willing to drive 10+ hours on no sleep to get to a track just so I can ride with the people I want to

I did it at mid-O when I first met @csmith12 and @choneofakind
I did it again at jennings multiple times where I met many great people like @Floki @Foxrider64 kevin and @ally99 along with the whole assfaultjunkies crew (badass crew)
And again at palmer where I met @adouglas @Ducati999 and @Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Why?

Because "the people" make or break it. Many will haul 5+hrs to ride with a group that makes "their" day great vs ride with a group that just runs them through for the $$.
My local crew is pretty cool too but there's something special about doing a trip to a cool place you haven't been before to ride with some cool people that you don't see often

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #23
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

@DCMoney thanks for the info! Super helpful. Also, @csmith12 thanks for tagging him.

I think I'm sold on the RC390.

That being said, I can't figure out the MCRA website, how would I register for an event? (I know the season is over.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
There's a few performance parts suppose to be coming out this winter that I think will make the 390 a little faster biggest thing for me would be to lose 50 pounds...
I think the biggest thing for me is just seat time (and coaching), hopefully by time I get more of that more mods will be out.

Also, since you posted photos, how big are you?

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #24
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
My local crew is pretty cool too but there's something special about doing a trip to a cool place you haven't been before to ride with some cool people that you don't see often
True, maybe I'll make a trip out and try to ride with some of you guys next season. I'll have to work out how to get there though. Maybe I'll buy a trailer? I've just been bumming rides with guys who live in the same town as me so far.

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #25
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

My goal is to make one good trip every year for a new track, and with my new tow vehicle, I got @adouglas and @Ducati999 covered

But to your question, I really cant say anything other than get the bike you want. Don't settle for less. You know the pros and cons of smaller bikes vs biggers ones. If I have no other bikes I would gladly run my 250 everywhere, it has its shortcoming like all bikes though.

Like DCmoney said, on my 848 im still getting passed by liter bikes and getting slowed up in corners, bigger isn't always better. Until your the top guy in the top group, its going to happen. Its not a race, its a track day, buy the bike that gives you the most smiles and keep shelling out money to run it.

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #26
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
True, maybe I'll make a trip out and try to ride with some of you guys next season. I'll have to work out how to get there though. Maybe I'll buy a trailer? I've just been bumming rides with guys who live in the same town as me so far.
given where you live a 4x4 pickup would probably be a welcome addition for you

small trailers are fairly inexpensive as well and tend to hold their value well, I see them going for $300-$1000 all the time

back on the main point, a lightweight class bike on track is loads of fun but I have run into issues with not being allowed to run with "the big boys" because of my bike's top speed being lower than the 600cc race pace speed of several corners at some tracks

but that was when I tried to grid up for black group (advanced tier of advanced group - basically racers only (goes black/blue/red/yellow/white/green from fast-slow)) so it's not that big of an issue

I still have loads of fun catching superbikes and passing them only to have them pit in and rave about how ridiculously fast I was riding the bike (it goes straight to my head and I love it hahahahaha)

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #27
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
@DCMoney thanks for the info! Super helpful. Also, @csmith12 thanks for tagging him.

I think I'm sold on the RC390.

That being said, I can't figure out the MCRA website, how would I register for an event? (I know the season is over.)

I think the biggest thing for me is just seat time (and coaching), hopefully by time I get more of that more mods will be out.

Also, since you posted photos, how big are you?
Im 6', 230 with gear.

On the website, under registration you would click on the event you want, that takes you to the motorsportsreg page where you can register. Know the website sucks were in the process of trying to make it better, an organization run by volunteers makes things interesting.

We do have one more event this year, this weekend at NCM in Bowling Green KY. Also offering half off first time riders, cheapest anyone would ever get to ride NCM!

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #28
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I would also look at used SV or Ninja 650 race bikes. Can't go wrong with that, not as much power as a 600 but way more than a 250... Good luck

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I would also look at used SV or Ninja 650 race bikes. Can't go wrong with that, not as much power as a 600 but way more than a 250... Good luck
^ I know quite a few guys that run those and love them

I may get one for ccs/wera in the future so I can race against more people

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #30
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
Im 6', 230 with gear.

On the website, under registration you would click on the event you want, that takes you to the motorsportsreg page where you can register. Know the website sucks were in the process of trying to make it better, an organization run by volunteers makes things interesting.

We do have one more event this year, this weekend at NCM in Bowling Green KY. Also offering half off first time riders, cheapest anyone would ever get to ride NCM!
Ah okay! Makes sense. Clicked the NCM one and it all makes sense now. I'd love to ride one more time this year, but I've been studying for my CPA exams and my last test is coming up in November so that's pretty much 100% of my focus right now.

I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs, so I might fit on the RC390 a tad better than you

Quote:
Those are good options for sure, but I'm looking for something that I can open up a bit more on the street.

I already have a FZ6 which is basically in the same class of bike as the SV650 and Ninja650.

The problem with those bikes, for me anyways, is that they're not actually any lighter than say a 600cc supersport. If I'm going to get a slower bike it had better be lighter than a faster bike. The 690 Duke and FZ07 do intrigue me a bit though.

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #31
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Are t you looking for a track bike? Best bet for a track bike is to have a track only bike which you won't care about thrashing too much, so you can still ride on the streets in case of a mishap.

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #32
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Are t you looking for a track bike? Best bet for a track bike is to have a track only bike which you won't care about thrashing too much, so you can still ride on the streets in case of a mishap.
I am, but who is to say I can't keep the plate on my track bike? I don't see any reason to only ride my bike five or so times a year when I could just leave the plate on it and ride it on the street as well. This isn't going to be my street bike, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to ride it on the street.

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #33
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

http://www.450gp.com/EN/vehicles.html

OK, OK... so it may not be feasible for most people but I'm thinking it's a great idea. It bridges the gap between 250cc commuter bike and 600cc all out sportbike.

I'd love to build one. Especially if it started as a street legal bike like a wr450f.

http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #34
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post

OK, OK... so it may not be feasible for most people but I'm thinking it's a great idea. It bridges the gap between 250cc commuter bike and 600cc all out sportbike.

I'd love to build one. Especially if it started as a street legal bike like a wr450f.
That would be a really neat idea.

Probably add up to about $10,000 by the time you got done, but hey...

As far as a racebike goes, a buddy of mine that was racing a SV650 just sold it and built a R3 for the track. He says he is having more fun out there on the R3 than he did on the SV - small, light, quick - but not necessarily fast. There may be a wave of interest in smaller bikes on the track.

I haven't ridden a R3, but I do have some time on a RC390. I like the handling, but the engine seems a bit weak and low-strung. I feel a little bike needs to scream, and the RC just doesn't. It thumps.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #35
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I am, but who is to say I can't keep the plate on my track bike? I don't see any reason to only ride my bike five or so times a year when I could just leave the plate on it and ride it on the street as well. This isn't going to be my street bike, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to ride it on the street.
Because lights, race tires not appropriate for the street, suspension setup for the track not the street, lack of insurance coverage (check your policy), annual property taxes (state dependent), inspection (also state dependent), registration fees....

Keeping it streetable means factory bodywork. Have you priced factory plastics lately? Would you rather risk $1,500 worth of factory body panels or $500 worth of race glass that you can repair?

If you own two bikes -- street and track -- it makes a lot of sense to just dedicate the track bike to the track. Less overall cost and risk.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Streetable means stock body work?? Lol.

Go check out killboy' photos. Can you say race bike with an LED flood light jammed in the air duct and a plate halfhazardly stuck on the tail???? It's more common than you think, it only has to be "legal"

EDIT:
See the ZX6R at the end of the row?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.6 KB, 18 views)

Last futzed with by choneofakind; October 14th, 2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added picture.

Old October 14th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Go check out killboy' photos. Can you say race bike with an LED flood light jammed in the air duct and a plate halfhazardly stuck on the tail???? It's more common than you think, it only has to be "legal"
I'm strongly considering doing this to my 300 so I can race it in ccs/wera

Old October 14th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #38
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post

Got all excited until I saw the price.... $5000, plus shipping from Spain, duty/tax.... and the donor bike. Just looked up the WR450F and it lists for almost $9k. Used a lot less, but still. This is not chump change.

I can think of 87 better ways to spend that kind of money, right off the top of my head.

How about this: Get an 08 GSX-R 600, which has power modes. It'll cost you about $4k to buy, which is in line with what a used WR450f is likely to cost.

Ride it around in C (castration) mode all the time, and you've got pretty much the equivalent of a 450 or 500 anyway. Now drop $5,000 into it... brakes, suspension, exhaust, ECU, tires, the whole boat. Think about how sweet the result would be....

Changes the equation a bit, doesn't it?

Old October 14th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #39
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:

LOL... there's "legal" and there's legal. Worth the risk? Playing by the rules doesn't matter one bit until something happens. Then it probably matters a lot. Mono-buttockedness can be very costly. I'm sure we all know that one guy who keeps on getting his license suspended, winding up in court, dealing with multiple traffic tickets, etc. etc.

Me, I like to keep my life simple. Not worth it.

Old October 14th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #40
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

EDIT:
See the ZX6R at the end of the row?
Yup, that's more along the lines that I'm thinking. This will be a track bike. I just plan to ride it on the street.

Honestly though, I don't really care about factory body panels. I'll keep them on the bike until they need to be replaced. At that point I'll probably go with track plastics.

I also won't be running race tires on my track day bike. I'm a novice rider, hopefully I'll be in intermediate at some point next year. I don't think I need race tires.

As far as suspension goes, stock the RC390 doesn't exactly come with adjustable suspension. However, if I get adjustable suspension, all you have to do is write down your settings and you can go from street to track in minutes.

Insurance and taxes are non-issues for me, that might cost me a few hundred a year which is really just a drop in the bucket.

Also, the whole risk of riding your street bike at the track only really applies if it's actually your street bike. If it's your track bike that you occasionally ride on the street that risk disappears.