ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you ever crossed a double yellow to pass a vehicle?
Yes 38 76.00%
No 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:05 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Have you crossed a double yellow to pass a vehicle?

I'm sure by now most if not all of you have seen the video of a driver swerving to hit a motorcycle that was passing on a road with double yellow lines.

There's A LOT of bickering and debating going on over the video. The Lanesplitter post has thousands of comments and hundreds of thousands of views.

And Ninjette is having our own little discussion HERE.

So I'm curious. Have you ever passed a slower moving vehicle on a two-lane road in a double yellow while riding a motorcycle?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:12 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Yes I have and was ticketed with the rest of the group even though the driver signaled us to pass him.

I have not watched said video.

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM   #3
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

I live in SoCal where it's legal to split/share etc and I see many bikers do this between the HOV and next lane over. Do I crossover the double yellow? No, but I do ride on it and have never had a problem even when passing CHP. If I don't like it when cars switch lanes over the double yellow then why should I do it. Most cagers actually give me more room to get by. When the double yellow is dividing a two lane road I don't cross it either but once again most cars will move over to the right to let me pass.

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Fox
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja ex250

Passed a semi truck that was chuggin along at 40 on a steepish grade. Could see way far ahead in the oncoming lane...

Not something you should do normally unless you live in Thailand

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Yes I have and was ticketed with the rest of the group even though the driver signaled us to pass him.

I have not watched said video.
Dang that sucks. Yeah, it's very common that I cross the double yellow on two lane roads to get around a slow driver on group rides. And many drivers do signal us to pass. Would hate to have a cop pull us over for it.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2015, 09:38 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Sometimes when its safe. But then again this is quite the stupid question given the circumstances you base it on. the rider from the video is a worthless piece.

Passing in no passing zones means you need to take extra caution and give the other vehicle extra space to pass and do not hover around the center line when doing it.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:01 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
So I'm curious. Have you ever passed a slower moving vehicle on a two-lane road in a double yellow while riding a motorcycle?
Today? Not yet, but the day is young.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:22 AM   #8
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

It's pretty much the norm in India... I would be surprised if people didn't...

Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:44 AM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sometimes I misinterpret the rules, yes. But only when it's safe and I have line of sight and am ready to make my move NOW in the right gear, etc. don't want to be in the way. If I'm going to do it, get back in the lane ASAP.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:52 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
When the vehicle is going the speed limit, no. I'll wait.

When the vehicle is significantly slower than the speed limit (like 10 mph or more) I'll wait for a safe opportunity and go.

At no time do I hit a crazy speed just to make a pass, or ride aggressively. The pass must be clean and reasonable.

The common squid video move of carving a canyon by passing everything in sight on a twisty road... no. The opportunity must be clean. Just as it was in that video. I would have made that pass.

The response to this depends on where you live IMHO. Here in CT we have many winding two-lane roads that go for miles with no passing zones. Hanging back behind a trundling farm tractor might mean a long, long wait for no good reason other than strict compliance with road markings.

In the midwest, where there are many straight, flat roads, I assume there are many more passing zones because of that.

I should note that I routinely see cars wandering over the double yellow. "Routinely" as in every time I ride, multiple times. I never see motorcyclists do that... when the double yellow gets crossed, it's for a pass.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:03 AM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Yes. I think the difference is that when you step outside of the normal boundaries of what most people expect of a vehicle you take your life into your own hands.

Riding a motorcycle is an extremely proactive activity and requires concentration at all times. One also must realize you are more vulnerable and plan accordingly.

The rider(s) may or may not have been wrong for passing on a double. The guy shouldn't have purposely hit the rider(s) because he had a grudge. The rider(s) did not think it would happen to them and that is where they were wrong.

http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:10 AM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
pass a slower moving vehicle on double yellow.... not really, typically it's 2 or 3, sometimes all at the same time.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:34 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sometimes. Around here it will usually be a farm tractor pulling a honey wagon (that's a manure spreader for you city folk).

Came around a blind corner the other day to find a combine in the oncoming lane and half of mine.

I've seen big John Deere dual-wheel tractors on the main divided hwy, nowhere near farmland. You just never know.

If a vehicle is doing the speed limit I won't pass it on a double yellow. A friend on mine got a ticket for "Operating to the left of a double yellow line", back in the day.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Bigballsofpaint

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I have, its pretty rare since im usually not in that much of a rush, if I know a passing zone is ahead I wait.

Unlike my pal Mr Fist though if im making a pass on a double yellow I go as fast as possible to get the pass over with as quick as I can. I move pretty far over into the other lane too, just in case they tried something like in the video. THe Ninja 1000 or ducati in second gear has quite the pull....I more than likely would not even try on the 250. I realize the car may be pissy after I make an "illegal" pass, so I typical make sure im out of sight within reasonable time as well. I don't need them trying to tailgate me afterwards.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:46 AM   #15
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I think crossing a double yellow is equivalent to 10 to 15 miles over the speed limit. The fines and points are about the same. If I think I can do it safely I will do it.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:10 AM   #16
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
In the midwest, where there are many straight, flat roads, I assume there are many more passing zones because of that.
I wish, we actually have long straight roads with great visibility that are still double yellow.

I feel like I'm constantly passing people in double yellows, however, I always make sure that I have a clear line of sight.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I have, its pretty rare since im usually not in that much of a rush, if I know a passing zone is ahead I wait.

Unlike my pal Mr Fist though if im making a pass on a double yellow I go as fast as possible to get the pass over with as quick as I can. I move pretty far over into the other lane too, just in case they tried something like in the video. THe Ninja 1000 or ducati in second gear has quite the pull....I more than likely would not even try on the 250. I realize the car may be pissy after I make an "illegal" pass, so I typical make sure im out of sight within reasonable time as well. I don't need them trying to tailgate me afterwards.
I agree it not good to loaf along if you are making a pass (any pass), but the law does not give you any slack over the speed limit when making a pass. So if you pass a car that is going 5 under the speed limit you technically can't speed to do it. Of course that isn't going to happen.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:58 AM   #18
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Under the advice from my attorney, I decline to answer.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:07 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
You mean you won't post a GoPro video showing a double yellow and the speedo reading 85 on YouTube?

Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:10 AM   #20
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I live in Southern California... It ALMOST goes without saying that yes, I do pass over double yellows. Most do. However, most are smart about it. There must be a reasonably clear view of the other lane, and it must be clear with plenty of time to pass. There are many areas in my town that are double yellow only because someone complained in recent years and they changed it from open passing to no passing. We also have a lot of old fogies in our town that drop from 5mph under the limit to 15 or more under if there is a single cloud in the sky. I wish I was joking about this...
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:21 AM   #21
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
@Jono,

why do you ask?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:03 AM   #22
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Not on my Ninjette, but back when I had a Ninja 900 or my Blackbird where a little twist of the wrist was all it took to dart around a slower moving vehicle
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:25 AM   #23
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
1. Statute of Limitations has long since past.

2. I no longer live in the country where the incidents occurred.

Edited to add:

Ooops, just looked it up and they don't recognize the idea of a statute of limitations. Guess I'm not going back there.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:25 AM   #24
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
It sounds like everywhere else is a bunch of idiots when it comes to painting lines... I can't remember a single time that I've seen a solid line around here that wasn't warranted. Sure, there are a few spots where my quicker-than-average vehicles would be able to make a pass between two hills/curves/etc., but I've never been stuck with a double-yellow for miles wondering why it was there.

In my 20 years of driving, I've never passed in a normal situation on a solid line. I've passed bicyclists, tractors, and other extremely slow traffic (I'm not sure if MI law has an exception for cases like these), but never another car who was simply going relatively slow.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:31 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
In my 20 years of driving, I've never passed in a normal situation on a solid line. I've passed bicyclists, tractors, and other extremely slow traffic (I'm not sure if MI law has an exception for cases like these), but never another car who was simply going relatively slow.
You're qualifying what "never" means. What, in your personal view, is the difference between "extremely slow" and "relatively slow?"

To me it's about 10 mph below the limit. That means 15 in a 25, 25 in a 35.... I'll make that pass if it looks like I'll be stuck for awhile and it's safe.

Note that few drivers actually travel at the limit. Most go faster. So a car going the limit but still 10 mph slower than everyone else... no pass.

If I can see a passing zone coming up, no point in rushing it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #26
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
It sounds like everywhere else is a bunch of idiots when it comes to painting lines... I can't remember a single time that I've seen a solid line around here that wasn't warranted. Sure, there are a few spots where my quicker-than-average vehicles would be able to make a pass between two hills/curves/etc., but I've never been stuck with a double-yellow for miles wondering why it was there.

Try living or driving in the mountains where twisty two lane roads go for miles and miles and miles of double yellow lines, and trucks or even old cars go really really slow up hill.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
As a general rule, no. I get stuck behind slow vehicles (10-15 under) in mountains all the time and simply don't have the power to pass safely, plus feel if they are that incapable of driving reasonably in mountains, the last thing they need is a "crazy sportbiker" passing them illegally. I'll wait till I get a passing lane then watch as they rediscover their gas pedal and shoot up to 20 plus in the first hundred feet. *sigh*

However, I have passed on a double yellow if someone is going 20 under for miles, passes multiple turn offs despite the line building behind them, passes numerous speed limit signs showing what they should be doing, and I have a very very very clear and open path ahead of me. Then it is get around and get ahead quickly before slowing back to the speed limit. I think I can count on one hand the times I've done that though.

More often than not I get stuck behind someone who virtually parks in the corners, taking the little yellow caution signs as God's Law, then accelerates to 15 over the speed limit in between corners before slamming on their brakes for the next corner. Whenever the rare passing lane appears, they take it as the last straight on a track and test their 0-60 ability. I have no chance of passing and find myself with a short fuse ready to blow every time their brake lights come on.

In those cases, I pull over into one of the unused turn offs, sit and wait for about twenty minutes cooling off, then head home. When riding becomes not fun, there's no point in doing it anymore.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Like I said, sometimes I interpret the markings incorrectly. My old age has made me... somewhat lost in the head.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:43 PM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I've never been stuck with a double-yellow for miles wondering why it was there.
Allow me to introduce you to Pasture Rd. 3.1 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (875.4 KB, 7 views)
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:02 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
As a general rule, no. I get stuck behind slow vehicles (10-15 under) in mountains all the time and simply don't have the power to pass safely, plus feel if they are that incapable of driving reasonably in mountains, the last thing they need is a "crazy sportbiker" passing them illegally. I'll wait till I get a passing lane then watch as they rediscover their gas pedal and shoot up to 20 plus in the first hundred feet. *sigh*
ikr...

It's times like this that remind me to live a more patient life. Pull over, stop and smell the roses if you will and give them 15mins of distance. As I have always said, "put as much distance between you and stupid as possible and you will live a longer and happier life."

And for the record, yes... I will pass on a double yellow. I do it both in the car, truck and bike. 15miles of curvy roads at 22mph when the speed limit is 55mph... oh heck naw, pull over or I will pass you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM   #31
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I voted yes, but not counting bicycles, farm equipment, and Amish buggies, I can literally count on one hand the number of times that I've done it. Granted I live in the city now which means my daily driving consists mostly of city streets and freeways, so no double yellow line roads. Even when I lived in the country though I never did it and don't remember ever seeing it done. Passing in double yellow just isn't done around here.

The two days I spent riding in Eastern TN/Western NC I saw more motorcycles pass in the dy than I have in 30 years living in OH. Different set of rules down there I guess. I still didn't do it even though it seems to be the accepted norm, at least by other motorists... On one road I was stuck behind a truck pulling a trailer. Going into a blind right hand turn a group of like 7-9 motorcycles (not sport bikes) passed me and the truck. Caught me off guard a little bit, but it must have scarred him pretty good cause he damn near ran into the ditch as the last few dove into his lane just before the turn.

WTF is the point of that?!?! I get it when you're out for a spirited ride and you don't want to get held up/have the road to yourself, but is it really worth risking yours and others safety for. Getting home in one piece is more important than getting home a few minutes sooner.

A lot of times I'll just pull off the road somewhere and take a break and stretch, enjoy the scenery, eat an energy bar and re hydrate, and let the person holding me up get down the road. Hopefully the turn off somewhere. Of course when doing this you run the chance of getting passed and stuck behind another slowpoke, but I don't let it ruin my day.

Remember "Patience is a virtue"
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:40 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ Yeah, passing isn't done much around cities here. I get that. But once you get up towards the hicks and farmers, anything goes. Lima area is an interesting place. In the Cleveland/Akron area, you can really only justify it when you're in the national park and/or valley where the seldom fun roads are.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Same deal here, I don't count... farm equipment, tractors pulling trailers of hay or tobacco (although, they are tougher to see around) and the likes. When I do pass, I can see well ahead and I have followed them for a bit to understand the risk I am taking. I have never passed multiple cars at the same time, but I have passed multiple bikes (HD's and other types of bikes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
The two days I spent riding in Eastern TN/Western NC I saw more motorcycles pass in the dy than I have in 30 years living in OH. Different set of rules down there I guess.
We do indeed have a different set of rules that don't really agree with the written laws. The cops don't normally say much either as long as it's all safe and courteous and we don't speed too much. If riders mess with locals (my neighbors) too much, then the cops will start to enforce it more. Then after all the fuss calms down, things go back to normal.

Basically, just about everyone does it down here, even the cops. It's normal and accepted as such. Be safe, courteous and give a friendly wave as you complete the pass and all is "mostly" uneventful. Sadly, sometimes you just run up on that one guy... who is having a bad day.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
It sounds like everywhere else is a bunch of idiots when it comes to painting lines... I can't remember a single time that I've seen a solid line around here that wasn't warranted.
It has gotten a little silly in California. Many areas that had plenty of passing zones as recently as a few years ago, are now painted over with solid lines. This is very noticeable on Highway 1. There are now stretches of 10+ miles without a passing zone, on a two-lane road frequented by RVs going 35 mph in a 55 zone. Motorcylists don't stay behind such RVs forever on this road, regardless of the now-solid lines. California does have a law on the books that if 5 vehicles are bunched up behind you, you are obligated to pull over to let faster traffic pass. Seeing someone actually understand or obey that particular law is even rarer than the remaining passing zones, unfortunately. (end result is that both vehicles are then breaking the law; the one holding up traffic and the one passing over a solid line)

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21650-21664

Quote:
21656. On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of
traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving
vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five or more
vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the
nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the
authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever
sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the
vehicles following it to proceed. As used in this section a
slow-moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed
less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and
place.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ah!!!! Found it...

This should explain exactly what a "different set of rules" looks like round my parts.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
his is very noticeable on Highway 1. There are now stretches of 10+ miles without a passing zone, on a two-lane road frequented by RVs going 35 mph in a 55 zone. Motorcylists don't stay behind such RVs forever on this road, regardless of the now-solid lines. California does have a law on the books that if 5 vehicles are bunched up behind you, you are obligated to pull over to let faster traffic pass. Seeing someone actually understand or obey that particular law is even rarer than the remaining passing zones, unfortunately.
Oh man, I must be a badass in CA then.

When I drove N up the coast on HWY1, I a) passed a few folks in my little scion. Was fun. b) pulled over and let a group of like 7 sport bikes past, and c) was an out-of-stater with Ohio tags. Boom, y'all just got shown up by a suburbia kid from Ohio. And everyone makes fun of Ohio drivers.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM   #37
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ah!!!! Found it...

This should explain exactly what a "different set of rules" looks like round my parts.

I saw that one time in little old Ada!!!!!! ...except it was the drive through convenience store and he was buying a case of Busch. I really really wish I'd thought quickly enough to snag a picture as he drove away but I was laughing too hard with my group of friends.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM   #38
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I pass in the dirt, no double yellow on the right...

J/K

Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:32 PM   #39
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

On the way home I came up with the solution to fight the temptation to pass on double yellows!!!

Simply buy a Honda Grom, the thing is so slow that you will NEVER be tempted to pass slower traffic. In fact, often I'm relieved when the guy I'm following is going 50mph instead of 55mph. LOL.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM   #40
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Ohio by far has the worst drivers you will ever see.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote