ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Too much weight on bars?

So I've had Driven Clip-ons for a couple months now and I've never really had too much issue with them. Some people get sore wrists after having them or maybe sore backs but I've been lucky enough to avoid both of these so I never really paid much attention to my riding position. Anyways, I've been really wanting a SS lately but I can't really afford one so I'm trying to perfect little things about my riding here and there and I noticed I might be putting some weight on my bars. Not like leaning all the way on them or locking my arms but there is a slight bit of weight and it seems I'm keeping myself up with a little bit of core and a little bit of arm. My question is, should I completely holding myself with core strength with no weight on the bars? I tried to do just core but it's a bit uncomfortable and I felt less in control because my legs didn't quit fit under the ridge of the tank when I tried to squeeze. It felt a lot more uncomfortable than my usual style. I also don't feel I put that much weight on the bars but is 'some' ok?

I know I've told people before who were having wrist pains to hold themselves with their core but if I'm not having those issues and still able to control the bike, am I doing it right? Or am I just over thinking things like people and countersteering?

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
So I've had Driven Clip-ons for a couple months now and I've never really had too much issue with them. Some people get sore wrists after having them or maybe sore backs but I've been lucky enough to avoid both of these so I never really paid much attention to my riding position. Anyways, I've been really wanting a SS lately but I can't really afford one so I'm trying to perfect little things about my riding here and there and I noticed I might be putting some weight on my bars. Not like leaning all the way on them or locking my arms but there is a slight bit of weight and it seems I'm keeping myself up with a little bit of core and a little bit of arm. My question is, should I completely holding myself with core strength with no weight on the bars? I tried to do just core but it's a bit uncomfortable and I felt less in control because my legs didn't quit fit under the ridge of the tank when I tried to squeeze. It felt a lot more uncomfortable than my usual style. I also don't feel I put that much weight on the bars but is 'some' ok?

I know I've told people before who were having wrist pains to hold themselves with their core but if I'm not having those issues and still able to control the bike, am I doing it right? Or am I just over thinking things like people and countersteering?
The more core, the better to avoid unintended steering inputs from your weight being on your arms. The riding posture of a supersports will exaggerate the weight you are already putting on your arms. How tall are you? Scoot back further in the seat.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
scoot your ass back so your knees fit better and can lock into the tank, no weight on the bars... if it wasn't for twisting the throttle you should be able to no-hand it most of the time.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
The more core, the better to avoid unintended steering inputs from your weight being on your arms. The riding posture of a supersports will exaggerate the weight you are already putting on your arms. How tall are you? Scoot back further in the seat.
I'm 5'10" but all my height is in my legs. I tried scooting back but it still felt kinda off. I'll try to keep tweaking it and see if I can find a sweet spot.

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
I'm 5'10" but all my height is in my legs. I tried scooting back but it still felt kinda off. I'll try to keep tweaking it and see if I can find a sweet spot.
I hate to throw money at the problem but it appears adjustable rear sets down and back will help to keep your knees down. You want to be able to shift positions in the saddle without needing to find goldilocks every time you straighten up.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #6
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
I hate to throw money at the problem but it appears adjustable rear sets down and back will help to keep your knees down. You want to be able to shift positions in the saddle without needing to find goldilocks every time you straighten up.
A&L Rearset adjuster, won't cost you a packet and will do the job just as well... Paging @Dr Honda

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #7
Dr Honda
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): Buell XB12Ss, Victory Vegas, DRZ400, XR50

Thanks for the mention.

I have them on the shelf if you are interested.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Actually along with this, I've been experimenting with gripping my bike in different areas. What is the "proper" location to squeeze the bike? Knees up under the tank ridge, or just firmly down and against the bulk of the bike?
If I try to squeeze up under the tank it feels the best, and hanging off is very stable and easy, but because of my short legs i have to nearly tippytoe on my pegs which strains my calves. If I squeeze on the sides, no strained calves but I have to squeeze harder and I slide around sometimes.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
2 more things to go along with what alex said to put the whole "seat position" package together.

1. Find the spot on the seat where you mostly comfortable but farther back (more important at faster speeds while cornering)
2. Practice this drill while riding

Link to original page on YouTube.

You should find your sweet spot. And are you overthinking it?.... Maybe, but better now than after some sucky sessions with bad front chatter or pushing or a crash. A fast pace + weight on the bars is not a good combo.

Oh... your core can't be too strong. If it doesn't bother you now, then how is your stamina? How do you think that will help?

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Thanks to @Lychee @alex.s and @csmith12 for the "scoot yo ass back" advice.

I always find that my junk is all up on that tank and find difficulty feeling locked onto the bike while minimizing bar input on turns. I've got to try this out! For some reason I've always had this thought that if I'm up against the tank then I'm more "connected" with the bike, but apparently it was just my bad habit.

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
So I've had Driven Clip-ons for a couple months now and I've never really had too much issue with them.......
First, why did you do the modification?

You cannot transform a street bike into a racing machine one step at the time or trying to keep the same level of riding comfort.

The lowered handle bars are one of the solutions to the changes in posture that are needed for high speed riding: the upper body goes over the tank to reduce aerodynamic drag, the legs go higher to clear the ground in extreme lean angles, the shoulders adopt a better position to push harder on the more resisting (due to high speed) handlebar, then the hands go naturally lower.

Unless you are taking that posture at all times, something will suffer.
That is what makes racing machines uncomfortable for street or touring riding.

Riding comfortably is always very important and safer, it naturally induces smoothness and confidence.

"If your bike has low clip-ons, it will require substantial knee pressure to unweight them; try variations until you find something comfortable. With as little weight on your arms as possible, you'll find it much easier to make small steering corrections, and bumps will unsettle your bike less as your weight has a reduced effect on steering. Also, experiment with foot position to find what works for you; it's usually best to keep your toes on the footpegs, especially the inner foot to avoid dragging. If you like to use the rear brake, keep your foot as far back and tucked in as possible."

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/rss/1...n/viewall.html

"Hanging off too far lessens your control of the clip-ons, as your arms will be at an awkward angle; they must support your upper body in addition to steering the bike. Your outside foot will also barely rest on the footpeg, meaning you can't put any weight on it if needed."

"Try to assume the position well before the corner so that you aren't turning and moving your body around at the same time. Remember to keep your head level with the horizon, your elbows bent and as little weight as possible on the handlebars. Be sure that you can easily make small inputs to the clip-ons and footpegs as needed. If you feel uncomfortable, experiment with a more or less extreme position, or try adjusting your clip-ons (or even the seat and footpegs, if possible) to a different position."

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/rss/1...n/viewall.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Clip ons are to make room for your helmet

Old November 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
If I'm going to be leaning it all the way over and will have time to adjust bp after the turn, I find much more confidence when my outside foot is centered on the peg with the front of my boots heel pushed against the peg with the toe pointed down and slightly out while my leg pulls back and pushes my outside knee into the tank... I think I can feel the rear tire better but it is probably in my head

Inside foot just rests lightly on the toes on the peg

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

How much weight on the bars exactly is the correct amount? I went out for a 180 mile ride yesterday and came to the realization that I don't put any on my bars. In fact I tend to ride leaned forward with almost a 90 degree bend at my elbows at all times. I kept trying to sit up straight but couldn't get comfortable. I'm not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing, but I do know it's a result from racing road bicycles.

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
There is no "correct" amount, it's different for each rider. If your not hurting anywhere, not introducing unneeded input to the bars, loose grip (arms and shoulders too) and your comfortable. Then rock on yo! Just be mindful of it as your skills increase. Subtleties are just that subtle.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote