ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Painted lines on the road + rain

So it is no secret you have to watch out for those dreaded paint lines in wet conditions. But it should not have to be the case IMO.

Today i road to work in light rain conditions and twice when taking a 90 degree turn at an intersection i felt my rear tire lose traction on thick white paint cross walks. Luckily i was being cautions going slow, minimal lean good throttle control and it was non issue but just goes to show how slick that stuff really is.

Here in MD a lot of the cross walks are really thick lines with a heavy load of paint or what ever it is they use. Clearly this is a road hazard for motorcyclists so why can the state get away with using this on the roads. I feel they could easily use a textured paint or something to help increase friction when wet for a few bucks more and make it much safer for all.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
...when wet for a few bucks more and make it much safer for all.
Those "few bucks more" are two times more than they want to spend in the first place to paint the roads. Its the same way here in NY. Even the way they fill some cracks are VERY dangerous. Its like a "play-doh" kinda sh*t. On most days its fine, but on the really hot days its very soft. I almost went down last year because of it. I needed to make a quick left turn away from a stop sign and my rear tire lost it for a split second. Pulled out of it fine tho.

Also, the further away you get from the city near me, they don't even pave the roads. They dump oil on it and then stone it. They rely on cars to pack it down to make it firm. Some sh*t that is.
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

off topic but yea ride in that rain, i rode to school today and was pleased to see another bike on 100. Those sissy fair weather riders.

Back on topic, yes painted lines are indeed bad when wet
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
off topic but yea ride in that rain, i rode to school today and was pleased to see another bike on 100. Those sissy fair weather riders.

Back on topic, yes painted lines are indeed bad when wet
I was expecting to be the only bike in the garage at work this morning and to my surprise there were 3 others.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
.........Clearly this is a road hazard for motorcyclists so why can the state get away with using this on the roads. I feel they could easily use a textured paint or something to help increase friction when wet for a few bucks more and make it much safer for all.
Very just and interesting concern, Joe.

That is a global problem.
In Europe, where bikes are much popular (we are only 2% of all road vehicles in USA), they still have this and other problems (like guardrails) that motorcyclists have been fighting for decades with minimum results.

Here in Florida, many people died in the canals that run alongside the Turnpike.
It just stopped a couple of years ago, when they decide installing a steel-cable fence; probably due to pressure from relatives of the many victims.

All revolves around the money that the government institutions have to use on the roads.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Agreed - some painted surfaces can be incredibly hazardous in the wet. I think it's not only a choice of which paint, but also the type of road material the paint is going on. Some combinations seem to turn it into an ice rink.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
installing a steel-cable fence
Is that what they call that effective cheese slicer? I would rather take my chances with the canal thanks.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

^^^What he said.

Old April 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

They just re-painted many of the roads at the University I work for... even in the dry at 70 degrees they are slippy!

I'd recommend you try your best to ride between them at all times. Also, if you're still on the stock IRC tires, a nice set of Pirelli Sport Demon (or better yet, Rosso II) will give you a bit more grip in all situations. I also feel I should mention it's not good to rely on tires in slippy situations.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I'd recommend you try your best to ride between them at all times.
That's just a good idea in general It's a motorcycle, it's not that hard to place it where you want it, and there's no excuse for having to cross lines.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
cataphysic
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Had a similar situation happen to me the other day around here in Washington (where rain is just a way of life) came around a 90 degree corner at an intersection, hit the painted cross walk, lost traction and managaed to get it back under control but came within about a foot and a half of a Mercedes. That'll wake you up a little. Those lines sure get slippery. As well as those tar lines they use to repair cracks in the road (I call them road snakes), those can be tricky too.
cataphysic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

if you look closely at those wide crosswalk strips when they're first painted they typically have a decent amount of grip. Time and traffic wear off the grip, this happens pretty quick.

just gotta learn to avoid them and take it easy on them when you cant.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #13
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataphysic View Post
As well as those tar lines they use to repair cracks in the road (I call them road snakes), those can be tricky too.
My commute is about 90% tar line (combined with degrading roadway)... LOL! One of the reasons I don't commute in the rain...

Old June 29th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #14
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Most of the painted lines here in Long Island are at crosswalks so not a big prob. BUT....the most intelligent thing i ever saw was in canada...on the "interstates"....when they pave a partial section of road they had the good sense to taper the edges of the pave. When you came upon it...no thump. When you came off it...no thump and you could even change lanes with no thump. Canadians are smart....they even have railroads there...really.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I lost the front pretty good on a tar line today. Caught it, but it was still scary.

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #16
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Most of the painted lines here in Long Island are at crosswalks so not a big prob. BUT....the most intelligent thing i ever saw was in canada...on the "interstates"....when they pave a partial section of road they had the good sense to taper the edges of the pave. When you came upon it...no thump. When you came off it...no thump and you could even change lanes with no thump. Canadians are smart....they even have railroads there...really.
???

road paint is a killer, but riding on the highway, the center part of the lane is black from oil and grease off of vehicles, when it rains.....oh man is it slippery
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #17
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I know a motorcycle group in co is pushing for them to change all the lines

Old June 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #18
wvninjamom
ninjette.org member

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Subxero - I'm not sure which part of MD you are in, but in western MD they have grated the center of the road. Motorcyclist hit the grating at low speed, lost control and died from wreck. They determined the cause of the wreck was the grating. Watch for this as well.
wvninjamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #19
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the thick stuff is actually a lot more durable than regular paint, its actually a UV resistant polymer.

the stuff around here has a diamond checkering surface when compacted by the machine.

it great when first applied but like all things plastic, the grippy surface wears down when trucks repeatedly brake on it.

when wet, i treat it with caution as through it were an oily puddle.

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #20
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

In Switzerland most road painting is done with grit in the paint, or zig zag lines in the paint (more like coloured cement) to give grip.

Steve