ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 11th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1
ninjanewby
ninjette.org member

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

indicators

I know it's something little but I always seem to forget to turn my indicators off. Having been "caged" for most of my life they've automatically turned off. Got honked at the other day because I didn't realize my indicator was still on. Any tips for remembering to cancel them. I'm only new to riding and find myself concentrating on so many other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ninjanewby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I have no helpful advice other than having been aware of other bikers leaving them on, I make a point of finishing the turn, cancel the signal.

Do it often enough and it becomes habit. I also find myself randomly pushing the cancel button "just in case" as I am going.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Just make it part of your routine. Humans are really habitual creatures so if every time you turn you press the turn signal off, you'll eventually form a good habit of always turning it off. Remember that you are new, and with all of the other things you are focusing on doing that it is normal to forget little things like the turn signal. However it is, as you probably realize, important to your safety to make sure that you aren't riding down the road with people thinking that you might turn and therefore turning in front of you. I was there until I made it a good habit to always hit that button when I have completed my turn. You'll be good bro.
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup - I OCD-ly press the cancel blinker switch all the time out of habit. My BMW auto-cancels the turn signals, but I actually hate it because it turns off too early, so I find myself hitting it continuously to make sure it's still on when I actually make the turn.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
ninjanewby
ninjette.org member

Having OCD & ADHD myself I'm thinking 1 might be taking over from the other. (ADHD taking over from OCD while riding, the rush of riding intensifies the hyperactivity). Might have to make a little routine for corners to make sure it's no longer a problem.

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #6
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

I found this http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/s...nder/sm-3.html a little expensive though.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
after every single turn, regardless of if i used the blinker (and even still, now, when i have no blinkers, nor a button to push to cancel the blinkers) every single time my thumb goes up and tries to cancel the signal.

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

Like others, I just compulsively cancel my signals, even when I'm just riding in a straight line. I'm pretty OCD about signals, and often manually cancel my signals in my car, too. I may have a problem...
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #9
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

+1 compulsive signal canceller after every turn. Just a matter of creating the habit.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanewby View Post
..........Any tips for remembering to cancel them...........
If the indicator light at the instrument panel is not enough, just add sound:

http://www.scooterfocus.com/scooter_buzzer.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #11
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If the indicator light at the instrument panel is not enough, just add sound:

http://www.scooterfocus.com/scooter_buzzer.html
Great idea, my dad has run a beeper on his turn signals since I was a kid. Not just to remember to cancel but also to alert other drivers, he wired it so it only beeps when the clutch is out so you're not waiting at a light or whatever with a beeper going.

Borrowed one of his bikes a while back, having forgotten all about the turn signal beeper lol I was a little surprised...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #12
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

+1 on the buzzer. I once added one to a bike. You can get 12 volt beepers at radioshack.

On the Ninjette, I am another compulsive canceller.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #13
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

+1 to hit that button every time. It is a habit you must develop.

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
I know it's something little but I always seem to forget to turn my indicators off. Having been "caged" for most of my life they've automatically turned off. Got honked at the other day because I didn't realize my indicator was still on. Any tips for remembering to cancel them. I'm only new to riding and find myself concentrating on so many other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same position as you are, first bike, drove a car, and keep forgetting to cancel the signals(but I'm improving). I also am OCD like.

Don't waste time/money on installing a buzzer or something to automatically cancel the signal, it's a waste; something you shouldn't be worried about as a beginner. who's to say that the next bike you'll have will have an automatic signal cutter? It won't, so get used to how the bike was designed, it'll pay off.

My advice now that I've been riding a lot more and it will be something you will start doing more often (trust me) is beginning to get more comfortable with the road and having the opportunity to stare down at your console more often. Instead of all your nerves focusing on you making sure you don't mess up on the road, you'll soon get more in touch with the bike, things like turning and the way your bike handles will be the next thing to focus on. Not saying that you shouldn't always be 110 % focused on the road, but you'll be more comfortable with riding than you are now.

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #15
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

The way to build good signalling habits on your bike is to practice good signalling habits in your car. If you don't remember to signal lane changes and turns while driving your car around town, you certainly won't remember to signal while you're riding yout motorcycle -- there are just too many other things to deal with to try and remember another one. And even if you already signal every turn you make, if you don't manually cancel your signals in your car, it's going to be hard to remember to do it on your bike, because you'll have to actively remember it, instead of just doing it habitually.

So while driving your car, signal everything, and manually cancel your signals each time, even turns that would normally be automatically cancelled. Signal your turns, signal your lane changes, flip on your hazards if you see an obstacle in the road ahead, signal when you're going to turn into a parking space, signal your turns when you're driving through the mall parking lot looking for a space, and so on. After a few weeks of doing this you'll no longer have any issues cancelling your signal on your bike.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what does it indicate?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #17
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup - I OCD-ly press the cancel blinker switch all the time out of habit. My BMW auto-cancels the turn signals, but I actually hate it because it turns off too early, so I find myself hitting it continuously to make sure it's still on when I actually make the turn.
Ditto. My VN700 had auto-cancelling signals, and it killed them early (I like to let people know my intentions as soon as reasonably possible) many more times than I've ever forgotten to cancel a signal after a turn.

A buzzer or something might help, but after you do it for a while, it should become second nature. I also like the advice about making sure to always signal in your car too (though trying to beat the auto-cancel might get annoying). Build good habits everywhere, and they should stick with you anywhere.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #18
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Every now and then I'll leave mine on too .

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #19
ninjanewby
ninjette.org member

Reading suggestions and speaking to some mates now has me just pressing the cancel button at regular intervals. Yeah I still ride with them on every now and then but not as much as at first. Trying to build good habits.

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #20
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

If you think "push to cancel" is a hassle, try riding a bike with older switch gear.
They often require you to center the little sliding switch in the middle of three positions to cancel.
If the switch is old and worn, this can be a bit of a hassle when concentrating on the road.

Old April 30th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flick.of.the.switch.achievement.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #22
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
.....I also find myself randomly pushing the cancel button "just in case" as I am going.
I've done this a lot lol A quick peek to see if the dash is blinking helps too