ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Name: Jiggles knows

Motorcycle(s): None yet :(

Starting on a 1996 R6 a good idea?

Hey folks, I just finished the equivalent of the MSF here in Quebec Canada and I was looking around to buy my first motorcycle. Obviously I've been looking at the ninja 250 market because that's what I want and would suit me best, but I came across this add on kijiji about a 1996 yamaha YZF-R6 converted into a 2001 model. It's selling at 2500$ which is cheaper than what I would have to pay for a new-gen Ninja 250.

Here is the add: http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehic...AdIdZ389696941

So my question is, do you guys think it would be okay for me to start on this, or if i'm better saving off for a 2 fiddy?
I'm Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Make sure WHY it was rebuilt, and that it hasn't been in a severe accident.

As for it being 600cc, I'm in no position to advice you as I have only ever ridden my 250. I did sit on my cousins 2012 R6 and it scared the be-livin' Jesus out of me.

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
bad idea.

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If you have to ask
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
mholme
ninjette.org member

Name: Marques

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 636

Don 't get a bigger bike as your first bike because it's cheaper to purchase than an "entry level" 250. Very bad idea.
mholme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

It's a bad idea. You may get away with it. You probably know other folks who have gotten away with it. That doesn't change the fact that it's a bad idea.

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
learning to ride on an r6 will do nothing but teach you bad riding skills.

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

i agree with everyone else. I've been riding just shy of a year and got the chance to ride an R6 and CBR 600rr. let me tell you..you're better off learning on the 250. yes, the power is amazing, BUT you want to learn and progress basic riding skills BEFORE before riding a super sport. if not, it can bite you hard for giving the wrong inputs to the bike.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Isn't the R6 a super sport? I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I wouldn't get that as a first bike. There's so much opportunity for a new rider to hurt them-self on their motorcycle... I see the power of the motorcycle as a multiplier of both the chance of having an accident and the severity of the accident.

Also: just because it has a bigger engine than the ninja 250, doesn't mean it's a better bike. Don't feel like buying a ninjette is bad value for money. They're amazing bikes in terms of fuel-economy, enjoyability, reliability, corner handling, braking, city riding (I can go wherever the nimble scooters go!) and attractiveness. You can keep up with other street riders who are on bigger engine bikes (so long as they're not extremely skilled or extremely insane). Also the ninjette holds its value really well.

The more experience riders here often say that you shouldn't expect your first bike to be your last. You can get the ninjette now and if/when you feel you are ready, move onto a more powerful bike. You might just find -- like me -- that you don't want to switch to a bigger engine for quite some time. I love riding my ninjette, it's so much fun. I see no reason right now to get a bigger engine sport bike.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If you have to ask

This

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Isn't the R6 a super sport? I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I wouldn't get that as a first bike. There's so much opportunity for a new rider to hurt them-self on their motorcycle... I see the power of the motorcycle as a multiplier of both the chance of having an accident and the severity of the accident.

Also: just because it has a bigger engine than the ninja 250, doesn't mean it's a better bike. Don't feel like buying a ninjette is bad value for money. They're amazing bikes in terms of fuel-economy, enjoyability, reliability, corner handling, braking, city riding (I can go wherever the nimble scooters go!) and attractiveness. You can keep up with other street riders who are on bigger engine bikes (so long as they're not extremely skilled or extremely insane). Also the ninjette holds its value really well.

The more experience riders here often say that you shouldn't expect your first bike to be your last. You can get the ninjette now and if/when you feel you are ready, move onto a more powerful bike. You might just find -- like me -- that you don't want to switch to a bigger engine for quite some time. I love riding my ninjette, it's so much fun. I see no reason right now to get a bigger engine sport bike.
yep and i can tell you from personal experience, the old R6s are wild and insane entering the powerband. the new ones dont seem as bad to me but they are also less comfortable. however god damn they are sexy.

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yep, the newer ones are kinda doggish in the lower rpm range with stock gearing. Newer ones are very peaky and have surges of power at 5-6k rpm and then again at 10-11k rpm. Those surges of power are very strong and can surprise a new rider. When I first started riding mine, it was literally like getting kicked in the buttocks.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #13
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

No. Sure, it might be cheaper up front. It's going to cost you a lot more in the end. A LOT more. This isn't even taking in account of the risk of you hurting yourself or someone else sky rocketing.

If the 250 ever feels like it's running out of power then you need to find some twistier roads/tracks. Every time I'm on a fairly straight road I think that I need more power. When I get into the twisties my 250 is perfect!

Besides, chances are it's a clapped out pile. Most SS squids I know/see don't know anything about maintenance. However, they do ride quite a lot and in a very poor manner. This is a perfect recipe for a junked bike. At least most 250s were ridden by beginners, meaning they're not trashed on. The motors in the 250s aren't nearly as hyper as one in a SS bike, thus durability goes up.

Besides, you won't look any cooler on an R6 than a 250 if you're cruising the boulevard for babes and happen to plant your face into the pavement because you were slowing down to check one out and accidentally grabbed "a little" too much front brake. Seen that happen. It was only a riot because the rider was okay.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Alright that's what I was thinking. I've been dreaming of the 2 fiddy for a while and know how awesome of a bike it is, I just saw this offer and thought it could be worth jumping on it, thanks for the advice guys!

I'm thinking it's better i learn taking good care of my bike before I get a SS, might save my life who knows

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
honestly unless you are interested in racing, the ninja 250 is more than you need in every category for the street.

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
honestly unless you are interested in racing, the ninja 250 is more than you need in every category for the street.
I disagree, this thing can't even get to 110mph
AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #17
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I disagree, this thing can't even get to 110mph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
If the Ninja 250 doesn't have enough power for you, then you don't know how to ride it.
Huh?

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I never said that
AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #19
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I never said that
haha look it your sig

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Fred View Post
haha look it your sig
AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #21
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I like this guy

AFM #676

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

You'll find that asking this question on a 250 Forum will get predictable answers. An R6 forum might give you very different answers...but no one will tell you riding a customized/personalized rebuilt bike won't be a headache.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #24
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Depending on your definition of 'okay', it's fine for some people to start on a 600. For example, I have a friend who started on a zx6r and he's still alive, but as far as the development of riding skills goes, it may have been better had he started on a 250. Also, he's lowsided already.

Be honest with yourself and weigh the risks. Most of the people here will recommend that you start on a 250, but if the higher chance of making a fatal mistake isn't something that bothers you (or your loved ones), then starting on a 600 is fine. Just be ready to deal with any consequences that result from said decision.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #25
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

oops, double post
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If you're going to start on a 600 at least pick something that's not a supersport. Bandit, Fazer (uses an 03 R6 engine, slightly de-tuned) , SV, Ninja 650 are all capable machines which will still punish your errors, but not as much as a SS.

A decent ninja 250 for a few months/ a year (at least 5000 miles, not all straight lines either) to build skills then move up to a 600 would be my suggestion. It should sell for near enough what you got it for if you keep it well. You can cane a ninja 250 on the roads, try it on a R6 & you'll regret it (if you're lucky)

A rebuilt bike is asking for trouble unless you are very mechanically minded and know what you should be looking for.

Quote:
It's very capable, but give it a bit more gusto for overtaking & it would be an excellent machine.

As it is it's a bit underpowered for overtaking, you need to have the move planned well in advance & know the distance it will take to complete. An overtake at say 45mph leaves you alongside for longer than completely necessary.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

na, get an R1
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #28
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
na, get an R1
I rode with a couple of guys the other day. They both have about a year of experience and started on liter bikes. Needless to say they kind of seemed scared of their bikes lol. Couldn't corner very well either.

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
It's very capable, but give it a bit more gusto for overtaking & it would be an excellent machine.

As it is it's a bit underpowered for overtaking, you need to have the move planned well in advance & know the distance it will take to complete. An overtake at say 45mph leaves you alongside for longer than completely necessary.
mmmm lets just say i disagree.

(if you've ever seen the way i ride on the street, you would understand where im coming from... lol)

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #30
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I rode with a couple of guys the other day. They both have about a year of experience and started on liter bikes. Needless to say they kind of seemed scared of their bikes lol. Couldn't corner very well either.
I havent been able to ride any bike ive owned to its full potential. I doubt starting on an R1 could ride that bike to 10% of its potential for a long time.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I havent been able to ride any bike ive owned to its full potential. I doubt starting on an R1 could ride that bike to 10% of its potential for a long time.
probably closer to 5%.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #32
Whiskey

Quote:
mmmm lets just say i disagree.

(if you've ever seen the way i ride on the street, you would understand where im coming from... lol)
Try irish roads, tight, twisty, poorly surfaced roads that look like they were drawn on the map by someone with parkinson's, and walled our hedged on both sides.

You learn to pick your overtakes very quickly because you've no idea how long you'll be waiting for the next one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i could see that. that's kind of a niche though. most areas have highways and relatively straight multilane roads.

Old June 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #34
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Well my choice is already made, I'm definatly going to start on a 2 fifty, I feel from your answers it'll be the best way for me to develop skills, which is what I really want from my first motorcycle. May I ask why is a rebuilt bike so much of a headache to an inexperienced mechanic? Rebuilt cars aren't that much of a trouble most of the time, why are bikes?

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #35
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

it depends. in your case im sure they mean totaled bikes that have been bought back and rebuilt and now having a salvage title. if not then bikes that have been rebuilt have the possibility that it was half assed or something along those lines.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 04:32 AM   #36
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Excellent choix Fred...

You won't regret it...

C'est fast enough for les routes du Québec...

And it will leave you money in your poches after the immatriculation and at the statoin service...

Hope to see you dans les rues of Montréal...

Bonne journée...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM   #37
Whiskey

Quote:
i could see that. that's kind of a niche though. most areas have highways and relatively straight multilane roads.
Where's the fun in that, twistys ftw
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:39 AM   #38
Talon999
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Hey Fred

I personally would prefer a smaller bike for a first bike. I just returned to riding after a 25+ yr vacation and I bought a 750 Katana. I rode it a dozen times and promptly sold it. The bike was too top heavy for me and there was too much for me to relearn to be constantly fighting with the bike. No fun. The 250 on the other hand is a blast! Easy to handle, light, nimble and a joy to ride. And that is exactly why I ride!

I live my life a quarter of a mile and 48.7 seconds at a time!
Talon999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #39
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Skip the R6 or even R1, go for a Fireblade, those look nice.

Old June 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #40
recon1
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250r, 2000 Triumph TT600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholme View Post
Don 't get a bigger bike as your first bike because it's cheaper to purchase than an "entry level" 250. Very bad idea.
My 2004 ninja cost me $2300. He is getting a great deal as long as it runs well.
recon1 is offline   Reply With Quote