ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Have you been used as a "pacer" while on the road?

After trying to understand why some cars stick around my Ninjette while sharing the road, I have noted that each of them has been texting.

I believe that they are texting and using me as a peripheral vision "pacer" so they don't have to think about driving.

I fell like a magnet to those drivers, I pass them and then, they speed up just to become my "wingman".

Often, quick maneuvering to escape their peripheral field is enough to break that dangerous for me linkage.

Have you been used as a "pacer" as well?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I feel you Hernan. I think cagers have selected for that purpose a time or two before and it scares the crap outta me. I fear they are gunna target fix on me and run me straight over if they get spooked.

I think it's a natural or subliminal thing though, with or without texting. As in a rider getting a tow from the rider in front. Settle in with the pace, get comfy and just play follow the leader. Could it be a sign of trust? Or is it purely them not paying enough attention? Tough call.

Last futzed with by csmith12; August 25th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I thought this was going to be about something totally different. Using a motorcycle for commuting purposes you get the drivers that gather around you. I think of it as a "everyone else is doing it" mentality.

Hernan you live in Florida which when I vacationed there I saw this phenomena happen often. The freeways around the disney compound are all 50 or 55 mph. The very few times traffic wasnt bundled up the pack if you will cruised at 65 to 70. But generally if a car isn't near anyone it will be doing the speed limit or just a bit over.

Motorcycles generally go faster than the posted limit. I believe subconsciously drivers tag along because people speed when comfortable. Who's the cop most likely to pull over? Not the soccer mom SUV, the racer red ninja. We all do it. It's easier and more comfortable to go faster in a group mentality.

Why do I think it's done sub consciencely? Notice drivers speed on a local twisty road. Most everyone goes annoyingly slow. There won't be a posted speed limit and the driver will filter into a personal speed. For you double yellow crossers or if they let you by, notice how only 1 in 100 cars might go faster. People have to think when driving on a curvy road. You can veg out in a cage on the freeway. Hasn't everyone looked down and said, "oh snaps I'm doing 80!" Or whatever.

Curvy roads require self preservation kick in. Not many people can drive non chalant in that situation. Thus drivers are thinking and don't grab the sub conscience tow.

It sounds good at least lol
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I'll occasionally use another bike as a pacer if they seem to be on the ball, I read the road ahead that I can see, and use their reactions to read further ahead in a corner.

If they move in during a turn I expect to see an oncoming car, if they're tipping it in tighter it's probably a decreasing radius, if they wind on hard then it's opening up further ahead.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I haven't noticed the pacing thing before but it makes a lot of sense. I've had people use me as a rabbit though. I'll pass them at 80-85 in a car and they will suddenly speed up and tag along. I'll have to get up to 90-95 to break out of their comfort zone and they'll slow down to their normal speed.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I often set my speed against the moving traffic, but always keep a safe distance, saves looking down at your speedo every minutes.

Others do it, it's fine so long as they don't get too close.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Never thought of it as being used as a pacer, but I'll have someone who either hates being passed (but doesn't want to speed) or who just is in love with my back quarter. I end up speeding up until I top out of where I am comfortable speeding (about 10 over) then as long as its safe behind me, cut off the gas and brake to let them bolt ahead and pull away from me. But I'm more passive and happy to sit aside or go slower just to let the idiot get ahead and out of my hair.

Now I have been used as a shield for cops before! That one wigs me out, patrol car on my tail, me locked onto the speed limit with a death grip, and them staying in my shadow to zap on coming traffic. That is the most nerve wracking thing ever!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

It hasn't happened to me on my bike, mostly because I'm so rarely on the highway. Sounds quite dangerous. Bikes are tiny and it's much harder to visually judge the speed of one, especially with just peripheral vision as your texting... seems like a situation I'd try to get out of in a hurry.

It does happen frequently in my car. Pass a line of cars going 5-10 slower than I am, move over, and the guy in front speeds up to stick with me. I really don't care. No need to pull my mind away from what's really important.

What's more annoying, are the people that feel the need to speed up to pass anyone in front of them, then drop back to their comfortable speed. This happens around here a lot. I'll pass a line of cars, move right while keeping the same speed, and the guy behind speeds up to get around me, despite the fact that I'm traveling the same speed he wants to travel, if not faster. He moves over and lets off the gas, such that now I need to pass him. imeanwtf? Move over, pass. no big deal. but around here, it' keeps happening again and again. Eventually I hit a strip of road I'm comfortable on and just pull away, breaking the cycle.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

I often do this the other way around when on a major highway - find a car doing a 'comfortable' speed, and then sit 2-3 seconds behind it. It doesn't provide any real slipstream/tow effect (have to be closer for that), but it definitely creates an air pocket to ride in.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
.........Motorcycles generally go faster than the posted limit. I believe subconsciously drivers tag along because people speed when comfortable. Who's the cop most likely to pull over? Not the soccer mom SUV, the racer red ninja. We all do it. It's easier and more comfortable to go faster in a group mentality.
That is very true, Cameron, but what I have described happens on I-95 when I am speeding as much as when we are in a slow traffic jam.

Sometimes these drivers (mainly young females) are speeding from behind as I watch them with my mirrors (I am a 360 degrees constant scanner) and instead of passing me, they just park next to me or at my 4 or 8 o'clock (sometimes at both !!!).

I have no clue of why they choose me instead of a car, my bike is not even noisy.
May it be my neon vest or ............that I am more handsome than what I thought ???
The only good thing is that these texters "see" me.

Before being aware of what was going on, I tried to gradually speed up or slow down, but that didn't work, they did mimic my speed each time.
Then, I started seeing that each of them were looking down continuously (texting) while keeping up with my changes of speed.

I cannot afford a street accident; hence, I need space for evasive maneuver in any direction, which I create a few seconds after my unwelcome wingman locks into her/his position.

Mostly I speed up and change lane as quick as my engine allows, sometimes, I just slowdown quickly as well.
The quickness is to take advantage of their lack of reaction due to the texting they are doing.

A few minutes later after that, another texter locks on me and the cycle repeats.

The only relief is when I am using the HOV lane and the next lane is moving slower than me.

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That is very true, Cameron, but what I have described happens on I-95 when I am speeding as much as when we are in a slow traffic jam.

Sometimes these drivers (mainly young females) are speeding from behind as I watch them with my mirrors (I am a 360 degrees constant scanner) and instead of passing me, they just park next to me or at my 4 or 8 o'clock (sometimes at both !!!).

I have no clue of why they choose me instead of a car, my bike is not even noisy.
May it be my neon vest or ............that I am more handsome than what I thought ???

Before being aware of what was going on, I tried to gradually speed up or slow down, but that didn't work, they did mimic my speed each time.
Then, I started seeing that each of them were looking down continuously (texting) while keeping up with my changes of speed.

I cannot afford a street accident; hence, I need space for evasive maneuver in any direction, which I create a few seconds after my unwelcome wingman locks into her/his position.

Mostly I speed up and change lane as quick as my engine allows, sometimes, I just slowdown quickly as well.
The quickness is to take advantage of their lack of reaction due to the texting they are doing.

A few minutes later after that, another texter locks on me and the cycle repeats.

The only relief is when I am using the HOV lane and the next lane is moving slower than me.
In that situation I'd be looking at splitting to get clear almost immediately

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #12
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

its prolly cuz they know a cop will pull over one of us before they see them txting and driving.

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
In that situation I'd be looking at splitting to get clear almost immediately
No legal lane splitting in Florida.

I wouldn't know how to do it safely if allowed.

There are laws against lane splitting and speeding and against DUI, but none against texting while driving.

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

The only problem I have with cars driving around me is when they like to try to pull into me even when I'm not in their blind spot. Plenty of fun to be had in Florida where the roads are filled with ignorant snow birds and senile old farts!

Those young wipper snappers are a bit of trouble from time to time as well thinking they're hot **** in their beater sports car.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Old drivers don't text.

10 young texters = 100 old drivers

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Quote:
Old drivers don't text.

They'll talk on the phone though, which is just as bad if you ask me.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #17
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
You can veg out in a cage on the freeway. Hasn't everyone looked down and said, "oh snaps I'm doing 80!" Or whatever.
Exactly! Except for me I look down and go "oh snaps I'm doing 100!!" as cars are whizzing by me on the right.

This is exactly why I think we should do away with windshields so that we get a sense of how fast we're actually going in a car.

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #18
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Old drivers don't text.

Lies! They're often the worst offenders because not only do they text and drive, but they don't quite understand how their phone works half the time. It's quite scary being in the car while my mother is driving.

Old August 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I've never had that problem OP, I'm usually passing traffic and they can't keep up.

Old August 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Whiskey

Quote:
No legal lane splitting in Florida.

I wouldn't know how to do it safely if allowed.

There are laws against lane splitting and speeding and against DUI, but none against texting while driving.
Quote:

You seem to have it down, keep that scan, push it out further & pick a point where you can pass between a pair of cars & occupy a suitable gap in front of either one. If it's not exactly legal watch for cops too.

Look for any signs that either driver in front intends to do anything other than continue in a straight line, head movements (a mirror check or look up from the phone /laptop /paper / food /coffee/ razor/ toothbrush/ makeup/ BJ/ any other distraction they're using their limited concentration on), minor change in position, or even putting their hand back on the wheel.
You don't want to pass a car that's about to move or a car on one side & a space on the other.

After that it's a shoulder-check & accelerate out, pick one side of the line & try to stay off the paint (and any cats-eyes/ debris) then get back in line when you see them in your mirror. A quick wave is usually seen as polite, but if the locals aren't used to being filtered it may p!ss them off a bit more (Anywhere I've lived it's legal & anyone who pulls out of the way usually gets a nod, wave, or cocked leg as a sign of thanks)

Unfortunately these bikes aren't as quick to do a 60-80 roll-on as I would like.

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I find a lot of cars match my speed on the freeway, and I think it's just a matter of picking the fastest moving vehicle out and staying just behind them. We've all done it and and gone "well, I'm speeding but that guy will definitely get pulled over first".

I travel slightly faster than the speed of traffic so I'm generally that fastest vehicle.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I haven't noticed the pacing thing before but it makes a lot of sense. I've had people use me as a rabbit though.
Heh. I use cars as rabbits whenever I can. I love it when somebody blows by me... I let them get a quarter mile ahead or so and just watch for the brake lights that tell me they just saw a cop.

Taking point sucks.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #23
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Heh. I use cars as rabbits whenever I can. I love it when somebody blows by me... I let them get a quarter mile ahead or so and just watch for the brake lights that tell me they just saw a cop.

Taking point sucks.

Usually it's some little dope with a case of small dick syndrome & a shitbox of a car that wants to prove a point, I'm quite happy to let them cane it past me, then set up position about 100 - 150m behind them

Regularly pass them at the side of the road getting a bollocking (and/or fine & penalty points)

Think I've developed a 6th sense for when to wind off & watch out.

Actually felt bad for my last rabbit, dude in a Caterham Super7 who knew very well how to pilot it, my 6th sense kicked in & I gave a slow down sign, then rolled off. He took off at about 80 down the road & was picked off by an undercover about 30 seconds later.

This is a Caterham Super7 for those who don't know it

Old August 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #24
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'm almost positive that subconsciously people do not want to get passed. It's like they're losing the race or something. How many times have you noticed when you're behind someone in the left lane and they pull right to "let you pass" they immediately speed up by 5 or more mph?

I've also noticed that sometimes when a car is in the left lane and is passing a car to its right, with no lane changing involved or anything, all of a sudden the driver being passed turns into a hero and speeds up. I've even been a passenger when someone did that more than once to the same car, and I ended up saying, "Are you going to let this guy pass you or what?"

If I'm a passenger in your car and you're in the left lane and don't move over for a car coming up from behind, I have no trouble letting you know that you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem, so stop being part of the ****ing problem and move over! But if it's like, my mom driving, I won't say ****ing.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
I'm almost positive that subconsciously people do not want to get passed. It's like they're losing the race or something. How many times have you noticed when you're behind someone in the left lane and they pull right to "let you pass" they immediately speed up by 5 or more mph?

I've also noticed that sometimes when a car is in the left lane and is passing a car to its right, with no lane changing involved or anything, all of a sudden the driver being passed turns into a hero and speeds up. I've even been a passenger when someone did that more than once to the same car, and I ended up saying, "Are you going to let this guy pass you or what?"

If I'm a passenger in your car and you're in the left lane and don't move over for a car coming up from behind, I have no trouble letting you know that you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem, so stop being part of the ****ing problem and move over! But if it's like, my mom driving, I won't say ****ing.

I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun YOU...

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

I feel like everyone gets behind me because I am on a sports bike and they assume that I am going to be the fastest person on the road. They then proceed to ride my ass and really get me frustrated and paranoid.
As far as the texters, I actually call them out and probably shouldn't, but it really bothers me. We have all this stuff about dui driving (rightfully so of course) but the "texters" are usually driving worse than the drunks
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #27
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

If I have my radar detector on my bike, yes, I end up being the pacer.

If I don't, cars just basically blow by me at +20 the speed limit on the highways I'm on, since I'm already going +10 on the left.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #28
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I've found two types, no matter what I ride or drive:

1. The Pack Animal. They don't want to be the lead vehicle (who gets the ticket) so they slow when traffic approaches and speed up when others pass. Also known as Magnetic Attraction (as they seem stuck to other vehicles)

Solution: When passing, maintain passing speed and current lane long enough to break out of their orbit. They'll then latch onto another vehicle.

I admit to a variation on this, but I don't stay anywhere near the fast vehicle; if there's someone doing 10-15+ over, I let them get a good 10 seconds ahead (enough that the hidden police car will pull out ahead of me and behind them) and then I've free rein to match their speed. Meanwhile, they're not impeded by me.

2. The Subconscious Driver. These guys and gals aren't really thinking about driving for any number of reasons, ranging from music to smoking, phones, kids, other persons in the car, or DUI. They keep from driving into a tree only by reference to some other moving object (you) while they attend to something they consider more important.

Solution: Slow down enough that they'd actually have to fully lift or brake to keep the same reference point, or accelerate quickly enough to rapidly break lock. I've had people doing 65 in a 70 keep pace with me up to 80+ if I gradually accelerate.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #29
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
I've found two types, no matter what I ride or drive.........
Great post, Michael !!!

Mentality 1 explains why the freeway traffic moves in big flocks with big empty spaces in between.

Mentality 2 is the type that I wanted to remark in this thread.
I may do that experiment and see how fast can I make one of these subconscious drivers go.