ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Hesitant to buy a jacket -- Help!

Hey guys. As of now I have boots/pants/helmet and that leaves just a few remaining pieces of gear to collect.

I still need
-gloves
-jacket
-back protector (?)

As for gloves I can simply choose a "large" and order online. Where I live, we don't really have shops that stock gear that can be tried on/worn before purchasing. Retail markups are outrageous like everything else on an island.

I can probably order adequately sized gloves and back protector etc, but I'm hesitant to buy the jacket.

After looking at sportbike racing gear type leather jackets, it looks like I could spend as much as $800 on a single jacket. The cost is obviously very intimidating because buying such an expensive item without first trying it on sounds like disaster.

Does anyone have any tips? I can try and measure my shoulder width, arm inseam, chest dimensions etc and try to get a customer service rep to measure the jacket before I place an order... Any other ideas?

Not sure which leather jacket I will go with yet or how soon, but revzilla looks like the best bet because of their free shipping to hawaii. (Very underrated)
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Revzilla has excellent customer reviews and very helpful feedback on almost every worthwhile item. I have ordered a joe rocket pro street jacket- very heavy and sizing was right on, 2 joe rocket gloves- the sizing was right on and now a set of overpants- to arrive Friday, I am confident I got the right sizing.

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Hey guys. As of now I have boots/pants/helmet and that leaves just a few remaining pieces of gear to collect.

I still need
-gloves
-jacket
-back protector (?)

As for gloves I can simply choose a "large" and order online. Where I live, we don't really have shops that stock gear that can be tried on/worn before purchasing. Retail markups are outrageous like everything else on an island.

I can probably order adequately sized gloves and back protector etc, but I'm hesitant to buy the jacket.

After looking at sportbike racing gear type leather jackets, it looks like I could spend as much as $800 on a single jacket. The cost is obviously very intimidating because buying such an expensive item without first trying it on sounds like disaster.

Does anyone have any tips? I can try and measure my shoulder width, arm inseam, chest dimensions etc and try to get a customer service rep to measure the jacket before I place an order... Any other ideas?

Not sure which leather jacket I will go with yet or how soon, but revzilla looks like the best bet because of their free shipping to hawaii. (Very underrated)
Go to any bike shop and try on some of the gear they have. Just say you are looking and not wanting to buy just yet. Feel out the sizes of the different brands then do your shopping online. My jacket included a back protector and shoulder/elbow pads. It definitely is overwhelming, just take your time until you find what works for you.

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #4
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
Revzilla has excellent customer reviews and very helpful feedback on almost every worthwhile item. I have ordered a joe rocket pro street jacket- very heavy and sizing was right on, 2 joe rocket gloves- the sizing was right on and now a set of overpants- to arrive Friday, I am confident I got the right sizing.
I also agree with the Revzilla review. I order from there as well. Sometimes I find the item I like and still price check around for the best price for the same item. I have heard from others they are not as strict as they say on their returns also which is nice.

Old September 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yeah, go with a company that has a good return policy. You WILL have to pay for the return shipping.

Motorcyclegear.com has really good reviews and sizing info. They actually have a couple of standard mannequins they use to check sizes.

Be aware that a leather jacket will break in and loosen with use. It's okay if it feels tight and stiff at first.

You don't really need to spend $800. You can find decent leather jackets for 200-300. There is a certain degree of getting what you pay for but you do not need to buy the most expensive thing out there just because it's top shelf.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
First things first, get your measurements
2nd Know your budget for a jacket and get comfy with it
3rd Shop online for what you like in that price range (read/watch the reviews)
4th Order from a place with a solid return/exchange policy

You may be tempted to buy a closeout jacket, if so... be mindful of the return policy on "sale/closeout" items.

Post up what brands your thinking about. Most of us have a good idea of their sizing compared to the ACTUAL size. For example; A* gear runs a tad tight for its size, S&S runs a bit large in the chest and AgvSport runs spot on for some jackets and small for other jackets.

Gear rocks!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #7
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Plenty of great leather jackets are less than $800. Even most of Dainese's stuff isn't up that high. Just make sure to research jackets well so you have a better idea of what to expect, especially since Hawaii usually isn't covered by free shipping offers. Revzilla has great videos to help with sizing.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

check out sportbiketrackgear.com

another online retailer but one of the best for reviews and has some different brands to check out as well.

as with most online retailers you will have to pay for shipping back to get a size exchange
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:

I still need
-gloves
-jacket
-back protector (?)

While some people may say otherwise, I say just buy a used one off of Craigslist. I got one that was going for about $150 on Revzilla for $40 and just found another one for the same price I 'm going to pick up this weekend.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
While some people may say otherwise, I say just buy a used one off of Craigslist. I got one that was going for about $150 on Revzilla for $40 and just found another one for the same price I 'm going to pick up this weekend.
+1 for this suggestion. There are plenty of clean, hardly used or well cared for jackets that people sell. I got my current jacket used and it seemed hardly used. It's a good way to get a higher end jacket for less.

Old September 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #11
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Revzilla and Motorcycle-superstore both have EXCELLENT return policies. They both accept returns on items within 30 or 60 days (can't remember which one) from the day you receive them. Just as long as the gear can pass for "new" condition, they'll accept the return.

MS does have a $7 restocking fee if you use their pre-paid label. Not sure about Revzilla.

Here's all the gear I've returned to MS in the past month or so. These online retailers realize all the different manufacturers use different sizing, so they understand many items won't fit correctly. Don't be afraid of buying something that won't fit!
Attached Images
File Type: png returns.PNG (45.9 KB, 2 views)
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM   #12
corksil

Thanks guys. Unfortunately buying a used jacket is not an option for numerous reasons. I went for a spirited ride late last night with a regular cloth cold-weather jacket and it was quite uncomfortable. The wind flapping the jacket was messing with my steering at high speed :S

I need to get this sorted asap. I bought my smx-plus boots from revzilla along with a few other things and I'm quite pleased with the speed/cost etc. They have a free shipping promotion to hawaii right now which is really very nice.

Always been a fan of a* gear since I was a wee tot with my little minibike -- never seen their gear just 'fall apart' in a year like someone mentioned in the other "jacket" thread.

I'm looking at the following..

GP Plus
$400

Jaws
$450

Celer
$600

Atem
$700

GP Tech Air
$900

They all have pretty much the same satisfaction and rating. I'm leaning toward the celer at the moment quite strongly. All these little features and functions that companies come up with just seem like gimmicks to me (for example, zippered flow channels that can be opened/closed for air flow/temp control....) -- however the celer seems like a nice jacket. The fitment looks pretty aggressively shaped, but not downright uncomfortable for daily commuting.

An added bonus is it's not too power ranger looking so it could be worn "out" for a night on the town/bike without looking like robocop.

The zipper has been confirmed to fit with the apex pants I already have as well - which is sweet.

Does anyone have the a* celer jacket? Any opinions? I'd probably also upgrade to the chest protector inserts and a back protector insert.. I'm not too keen on a full standalone back protector -- it'd be nice to have something that fits permanently into the jacket --- less things to misplace or have eaten by my cat.

Anyone?

Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

You need to stick to looking at perforated leather jackets. Your most likely gunna be way hot in a non-perforated one. I don't have one of the celer jackets but you have expensive tastes. But rock whatever you like, it's your paper.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #14
corksil

I look at the gear as an alternative to hospital bills. I've lost a few friends to motorcycle accidents and in simple terms - I feel much more relaxed/focused on the environment/traffic when I have more gear on. Riding in shorts and a T-shirt make me feel... Twitchy, and not focusing on anything other than what's right in front of me. Hard to explain.

What's the service life on this stuff? Now you've got me worried that its not going to last very long. I see myself riding in the gear for years to come which justifies the cost in my mind.

I really wish I could try on the jacket and go sit in the sun for an hour.

It averages around ~65*F at the 'track'. 80*F ambient during daily commuting.

Thanks dude.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Any jacket will feel hot if you're just sitting in the sun but assuming Hawaii is a sunny place, I'd recommend a light colored vented or perforated leather jacket. Also if you wear a tight fitting quick dry shirt underneath you will help increase the amount of evaporative cooling.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

I like my celer jacket. Its hot when you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic but once you're on the move the wind really helps (I lane split so heat is never an issue).

Fitment is nice and snug, as any race jacket should be. I ordered a size larger so that I can eventually fit a race back protector and have room to dress in layers.

The jacket looks great! The race hump has a nice aggressive look to it and the reflective strips really help at night.

<<< That's me wearing the red a* celer

Edit: Crash tested too with a low speed high side. The standard armor softened the initial impact and the jacket took the sliding very well, just some scuff marks.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #17
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Any jacket will feel hot if you're just sitting in the sun but assuming Hawaii is a sunny place, I'd recommend a light colored vented or perforated leather jacket. Also if you wear a tight fitting quick dry shirt underneath you will help increase the amount of evaporative cooling.
Duly noted. Thanks for the tip. I went up to the 'track' yesterday morning and it was a brisk ~63*F. That's the primary place I'm preparing for, but it would be quite unfortunate if the jacket was too hot to wear during 'normal' lower-elevation/warmer riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
I like my celer jacket. Its hot when you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic but once you're on the move the wind really helps (I lane split so heat is never an issue).

Fitment is nice and snug, as any race jacket should be. I ordered a size larger so that I can eventually fit a race back protector and have room to dress in layers.

The jacket looks great! The race hump has a nice aggressive look to it and the reflective strips really help at night.

<<< That's me wearing the red a* celer

Edit: Crash tested too with a low speed high side. The standard armor softened the initial impact and the jacket took the sliding very well, just some scuff marks.
Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear from someone who has this jacket.

How long have you had it and how is it holding up? Do you wear it regularly?

I'd be thinking about some chest protectors and a back protector insert as well, unless you tell me that they sound like overkill.

Hard to think about as you can never really be 'too' well protected.

Old October 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear from someone who has this jacket.

How long have you had it and how is it holding up? Do you wear it regularly?

I'd be thinking about some chest protectors and a back protector insert as well, unless you tell me that they sound like overkill.

Hard to think about as you can never really be 'too' well protected.
Had the jacket for 7 months now and have been using it every time I ride. Worst thing that happened to it was the crash, otherwise just usual wear and tear (dirt, etc). One of the pockets on the inside mesh liner started ripping at the seams but that was my fault (btw, plenty of pockets to store stuff). If you have money to spend and it gives you peace of mind, go and buy the inserts. I'm sure they'll do a much better job of protecting than the standard, foam inserts.

My personal pref. would be to buy an armored vest so that I'm track ready. Most track days require a back protector for the intermediate/advanced groups, so my aim is to hit two birds with one stone.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good lord, don't buy a $900 jacket, you can buy a pretty decent 1-piece race suit for less than that!!!! more expensive is not always equal to better protection. It's all about the quality you get for the money you spend. FWIW, I love perforated leather gear. Best thing ever.

What pants and boots do you have?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #20
corksil

A* Smx plus 2011 and a* apex pants which are a little big (bought used) and still kinda smell like some other dudes taint.

Instead of considering upgraded chest/back protector inserts, should I be looking for a total protection vest to just wear under the jacket? Is that a common practice?

Old October 6th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, that's a good option to consider. That will stay in place well (maybe better than the armor in the jacket) in an accident. I've seen people do that without issue or discomfort. Only thing to remember is that's one more thing to put on and get comfortable in.

I personally like the armor in my jacket vs a vest because it's one less thing to put on and wiggle around in. Just my preference.

There are some nice spine/chest protector vests that offer really nice protection added to your jacket.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #22
corksil

So I bought the a* celer, and have had it for a day or two.

Sad to say it seems one size too small. My shoulders are apparently freakishly broad, and my arms must be freakishly long because a 'large' only reaches the sleeves halfways down my forearms.

The elbow padding is halfways up my triceps and the shoulder padding is on the top of my shoulders instead of the sides.

Too small? Planning on RMA this for one size up unless you guys tell me that this is 'normal' for such a garment.

Old October 25th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #23
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
So I bought the a* celer, and have had it for a day or two.

Sad to say it seems one size too small. My shoulders are apparently freakishly broad, and my arms must be freakishly long because a 'large' only reaches the sleeves halfways down my forearms.

The elbow padding is halfways up my triceps and the shoulder padding is on the top of my shoulders instead of the sides.

Too small? Planning on RMA this for one size up unless you guys tell me that this is 'normal' for such a garment.
Definitely too small. That type of jacket should be snug, but never ill-fitting.

Old October 25th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Definitely too small.
That's what she said....

Check out S&S jackets. They are cut better for stocky builds.

Old October 25th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #25
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Good lord, don't buy a $900 jacket, you can buy a pretty decent 1-piece race suit for less than that!!!!?
I'm pretty sure between my 3 jackets, 2 pants, gloves and boots that I haven't spent 900 lol

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote