ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Heartbreaking riding accident for my friend

I am the rider of the red ninja behind the black/grey R6. From my POV and from observing the video numerous times the R6 exited the turn a bit wide from the videos POV. From my POV i just saw him straighten up his bike and at that point i realized he is going straight into the wall with no turn space wat so ever. I couldnt avoid it no matter how u look at it. From a play and pause POV for the video i was just way to close behind him to even have any reaction time the second he impacted the wall. I couldnt turn left anymore as i was already pretty leaned. If i straightened up i risk hitting him and running into the wall. I ended low siding instead. For my story of why i crashed I was just too close behind him and didint give myself any space. Any feedback on this entire incident is much appreciated.

Link to original page on YouTube.

My friend in the R6 is going to be fine and will make a full recover with time. He suffers from a collapsed lung, broken wrist, fractured ribs, torso pain, possible leg pain. No visible scrapes.

I just have very minor road rash from my right hand, left elbow, and left knee/shin.

I am just happy my friend made it out to see another day. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery. We both are not going to be riding anytime soon after this experience and we are both never going to forget this either.

RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Well glad y'all are alive and kicking. Video doesn't work btw.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
No much to see or discuss.

Glad everyone made it home.

Group riding seldom ends up well, .............too much testosterone together maybe?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Well glad y'all are alive and kicking. Video doesn't work btw.
Vid works now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
No much to see or discuss.

Glad everyone made it home.

Group riding seldom ends up well, .............too much testosterone together maybe?
Yeah im glad everyone made it as well. And yeah i realize that now. Group riding, u'll always b sucked into someone else's pace unless u just know to ride ur ride and constantly tell urself that. So unfortunate this happened. But im also glad it was in the canyon and not out there on the streets where there are cars thrown into the mix.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

It sounds like you've already discovered your own mistake, so there's probably not much more to consider on your end. The "two second rule" doesn't even really seem adequate to me when riding more technical roads with other riders, so I try to give a LOT of space (though that may just be my own inexperience.)

What happened to the rider just in front of the cameraman? Sounded like he might have gone down as well.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It sounds like you've already discovered your own mistake, so there's probably not much more to consider on your end. The "two second rule" doesn't even really seem adequate to me when riding more technical roads with other riders, so I try to give a LOT of space (though that may just be my own inexperience.)

What happened to the rider just in front of the cameraman? Sounded like he might have gone down as well.
Yeah he did go down as well unfortunately

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Wow, looked like a nasty crash. Glad you are both alright.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Speedy recovery to all parties involved! That helmet on the ground was pretty gut wrenching
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Well to your friend on the white bike

Don't panic and stay calm and you wouldn't have crashed.

I wasn't there and I don't know you guys but I'll say you need to have a certain level of experience to read the subtle hints the rider in front shows that let you know they are pushing themselves to hard. If you can't read these hints or if you can and they are showing then you need to back off and give some space.

I'm judging a book by it's cover here and considering the move the white bike made, your overall pace and fellow riders body positioning. Overall your group isn't exactly the most experience out there and those type of riders are more likely to have a brain fart then the highly experienced. So by default you guys should be giving more space. This is an assumption if you feel it's wrong then disregard it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm kicking you while your down and I'll tell that's not my intention, just giving some advise for when you guys do get back in the saddle.

The ride I was on last week could have had the exact outcome at nearly double the speed. A couple of miles in the rider two positions in front of me looked a bit off so I backed off another 30 feet and sure enough a few miles later he had a big front wheel tuck but saved it thankfully.

Hope you guys all recover well and P.S. your so luck that bike didn't turn into a fire ball.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Well to your friend on the white bike

I wasn't there and I don't know you guys but I'll say you need to have a certain level of experience to read the subtle hints the rider in front shows that let you know they are pushing themselves to hard. If you can't read these hints or if you can and they are showing then you need to back off and give some space.

I'm judging a book by it's cover here and considering the move the white bike made, your overall pace and fellow riders body positioning. Overall your group isn't exactly the most experience out there and those type of riders are more likely to have a brain fart then the highly experienced. So by default you guys should be giving more space. This is an assumption if you feel it's wrong then disregard it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm kicking you while your down and I'll tell that's not my intention, just giving some advise for when you guys do get back in the saddle.

The ride I was on last week could have had the exact outcome at nearly double the speed. A couple of miles in the rider two positions in front of me looked a bit off so I backed off another 30 feet and sure enough a few miles later he had a big front wheel tuck but saved it thankfully.

Hope you guys all recover well and P.S. your so luck that bike didn't turn into a fire ball.
No dont feel that way, i wholeheartedly appreciate and thank you for ur serious input on this and yes we all were inexperienced so the white bike was fine imo distance wise but i just srsly didnt know y he crashed as well. Im assuming he panicked. But as for me i had no excuse i was just stupid and i wasnt thinking. I will definitely learn from this experience and take things step by step.

To everyone else I thank you all for ur concerns and i still feel blessed and lucky that everyone involved still made it to see another day. Again thank you all

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

From what I can make out, truck in opposite lane spooked rider to go wide, rider tapped brakes, try to correct but just got target fixated on the wall. You, were really following him close.

Speedy recovery to all that wrecked.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I was going to say the same thing. Someone was leaned into the turn, saw a car coming at them, and panicked. Glad everyone will be ok though.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #13
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

That can't be said often enough.

I didn't watch the video but I know this is the correct answer.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #14
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Yes i was extremely close to the rider that crashed first. And thank you for the kind wishes and support. I'll b sure to let the r6 rider know.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Glad you made it out ok man. I wasn't there but if you didn't hit the guy after you laid your bike down you wouldn't have hit him if you stayed in control either.

Easy for me to say siting on my apartment with plenty of time to think about it.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #16
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Glad you made it out ok man. I wasn't there but if you didn't hit the guy after you laid your bike down you wouldn't have hit him if you stayed in control either.

Easy for me to say siting on my apartment with plenty of time to think about it.
i have been thinking about it alot too but either way i see it, im still inexperienced so regardless whats done has been done. I would have hit the wall if i straightened up possibly or i could have narrowly miss the wall but run over the large chunks of debris all over the road and that might lead to an even bigger problem. Regardless my inexperience led me to decide what i did any who. Thank you for ur input

Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #17
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

sorry about what happen and wish you guys a full quick recovery
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:01 AM   #18
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

thank you for that i appreciate the gesture.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

The longer you dont ride the less inclined you ever will be to get back on 2 wheels again. Or maybe im making it all up. Either way, glad both of you are alive and hopefully you learn from it. Life is about learning from mistakes, only those who know failure will achieve success.

I went down on my 1000 a few months ago, i had no serious injury (hairline fracture). I got on my 250 when i got home just ride again. Sure it was scary, but now i know what to look for and try to perfect my riding as much as possible without pushing the speed TOO much. Body position really helps a ton.

Again, glad your OK and glad your friend will end up fine.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Best wishes and speedy healing.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

so, I dont think anyone has ask, how are the bikes?
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM   #22
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

tony how long have you been riding? Also how long has the rest of the group been riding?
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #23
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
The longer you dont ride the less inclined you ever will be to get back on 2 wheels again. Or maybe im making it all up. Either way, glad both of you are alive and hopefully you learn from it. Life is about learning from mistakes, only those who know failure will achieve success.

I went down on my 1000 a few months ago, i had no serious injury (hairline fracture). I got on my 250 when i got home just ride again. Sure it was scary, but now i know what to look for and try to perfect my riding as much as possible without pushing the speed TOO much. Body position really helps a ton.

Again, glad your OK and glad your friend will end up fine.
True, im not spooked by this accident as i still want to ride. Its just that my parents r all freaked out about it and forbid it now. I have to respect their decision for now. Lets just say im quietly going back to my cave until the time is right to come back out

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Best wishes and speedy healing.
Thank you brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
so, I dont think anyone has ask, how are the bikes?
R6 is totaled, my ninja has left side farings rashed up, cracked left side of the headlight fairing, leaking coolant, crank damage, stator problems, dirty chain, bent shift lever, missing left rearview mirror and left blinkers, possible tweaked frame. Forks might b good might b bad idk. Last time i checked it started back up from the towing place but dies if i give it throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
tony how long have you been riding? Also how long has the rest of the group been riding?
R6 rider, white ninja rider, I are 2-3 months experience. The rest is 7-9 months

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #24
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

could have been wearing a bit more gear. Probably would have saved you both alot of aches and pains. Knees and shin area is always a prone spot in falls. Take care of them.

And you were pretty much spot on what happened. To give you some advice. It took me about 6 months or more before I rode with my first group and still then gave myself alot of room for my own errors and others. Just got to be careful. Even people that ride for years can always make mistakes.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #25
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

definitely. but regardless whats done is done. Learn from this experience and we all lived to see another day

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #26
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Scary looking video. Good to see you are both relatively ok. Title said the R6 was new

Did you clip his bike and knock it forward? After watching it on my computer, it looks like both of you braked.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #27
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
True, im not spooked by this accident as i still want to ride. Its just that my parents r all freaked out about it and forbid it now. I have to respect their decision for now. Lets just say im quietly going back to my cave until the time is right to come back out

R6 rider, white ninja rider, I are 2-3 months experience. The rest is 7-9 months
Ah, didnt know you still lived with your parents, i can understand that. My family hates the i ride (mom and sister are nurses), especially after my fall. But i dont live there so they cant say much other than be careful. They are happy i wear all the gear though as they know how much it helps. Experience was the big problem here, more seat time and pacing yourselves will fix the issue. Remember, ride to 80% on the street (its a vague number, just ride to the point where your comfortable but fast enough to work on rider position, braking, entry, apex, exit etc. But not so fast that you panic or rely on reflex or adrenalin to get you by)

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #28
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Scary looking video. Good to see you are both relatively ok. Title said the R6 was new

Did you clip his bike and knock it forward? After watching it on my computer, it looks like both of you braked.
No i didnt even touch the rider or his bike, thank god. He braked for sure. I didnt brake until i was literally a couple inches away from his body from the vid after numerous re-watches and play/stops. And thank you man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Ah, didnt know you still lived with your parents, i can understand that. My family hates the i ride (mom and sister are nurses), especially after my fall. But i dont live there so they cant say much other than be careful. They are happy i wear all the gear though as they know how much it helps. Experience was the big problem here, more seat time and pacing yourselves will fix the issue. Remember, ride to 80% on the street (its a vague number, just ride to the point where your comfortable but fast enough to work on rider position, braking, entry, apex, exit etc. But not so fast that you panic or rely on reflex or adrenalin to get you by)
Im sure most families hate the fact that their son/daughters are riding motorcycles out there since the risk is so high and injuries usually arent minor if involved in an accident. And most definitely more experience will lead to a lesser risk. I am most definitely taking this experience and learning alot about it. Thanks you

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #29
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Wow...this just has written all over it.

Nuff said.

Old June 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #30
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Wow...this just has written all over it.

Nuff said.
no doubt about it. my crash was totally avoidable if i wasnt so stupid.

Old June 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #31
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

Quote:
I've been riding 30+ years, on the street and track, and I'd never, ever ride that fast on an uncontrolled road that tight.

The only thing more lacking than the technical skills in that group is judgment.

Riding a motorcycle does involve some risk, but riding like that doesn't really involve risk. There's no risk you're going to crash, it's a certainty.
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #32
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Glad you guys made it out alive and mostly well..ish. As others have said experience would have really helped here. Let this serve as a warning and a reminder for old and new riders alike. In all honesty it didn't look like you guys were riding that hard though... Hard to tell on video sometimes though. Seems like a good idea for a group would be to have a more experienced rider or two along with you.

Just wondering and not meaning to threadjack, but whats the general consensus on when you're officially an "experienced rider?"
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #33
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Glad you guys made it out alive and mostly well..ish. As others have said experience would have really helped here. Let this serve as a warning and a reminder for old and new riders alike. In all honesty it didn't look like you guys were riding that hard though... Hard to tell on video sometimes though. Seems like a good idea for a group would be to have a more experienced rider or two along with you.

Just wondering and not meaning to threadjack, but whats the general consensus on when you're officially an "experienced rider?"
Your an experienced rider after you've gained a curtain level of experience, No really I'm totally serious. Most will quote some kinda time based reference or even a certain amount of miles but that's just as general as the original question. 3 years or 15,000 miles of riding while learning nothing or worse doing it wrong are going to make you a better rider, you'll just have useless or bad experience.

Everyone gains experience at different rates take Cameron for example. He's only had a street bike for 8 months and is already one of the best riders I have to ride with, on top of that he's already on his way to becoming an MSF instructor. Not only is he talented but he has several friends he rides with regularly that have tons of experience in all forms of Motorsports so class is in session during every group ride. For Cameron group rides are probably the #1 reason he's such a knowledgeable rider so early in his life as a rider.

You can call yourself experienced when you can ride with confidence and understand your limits and know when not to push those limits. You can call yourself experienced when you understand "most" of the random situations that can occur from fellow motorist stupidity and can keep an eye out for them at all times. That's my opinion.

End thread jack
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #34
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Update on my friend he had surgery on monday and is now making a full recovery. Idk how long he is going to b in the hospital but im still glad everything is now good with him. Just needs to heal the broken bones and injuries with time. Idk what he is going to do with the R6 but since its still new he is going to still need to be paying it off. So he might repair it. Idk if he still wants to ride tho. Either way best of luck to him

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #35
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Update on my friend he had surgery on monday and is now making a full recovery. Idk how long he is going to b in the hospital but im still glad everything is now good with him. Just needs to heal the broken bones and injuries with time. Idk what he is going to do with the R6 but since its still new he is going to still need to be paying it off. So he might repair it. Idk if he still wants to ride tho. Either way best of luck to him
If he didnt get GAP coverage on it then thats a hard way to learn a lesson. Stay safe

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #36
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
But im also glad it was in the canyon and not out there on the streets where there are cars thrown into the mix.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #37
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #38
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Oh give the poor guy a break.

Or in his friend's case, 2 breaks and some fractures.

I think he meant to say "But im also glad it was not in a busy street where there are a ton of cars thrown into the mix."
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #39
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Wish you and your friend a speedy healing.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:44 PM   #40
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

Why was everyone trying to pick up the R6 and not trying to help the rider?
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote