ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 16th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Paulgello
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Several Issues with 2007 Ninja

I've already posted one thread regarding a 2007 ex250 I picked up that had a couple small problems but instead of making individual threads for each I'll compile the remaining issues into one..

1) First issue at hand is that I have no rear running light / brake light. When I purchased the bike it was working fine but about 2 weeks ago it stopped out of nowhere haven't been able to remedy the problem since although admittedly I haven't looked into it much. I already tried replacing the bulb and it didn't help.

2) The bike runs relatively fine in my opinion as is however I figure a good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt just because, right? I know there's the method of just dumping seafoam into your gas tank which would be fine for me considering I've never worked on a carb before but would it require me to drain the tank afterwards?

3) The previous owner didn't seem to have babied the bike (was sitting outside and no garage / cover in sight) although I've had the bike and it runs relatively well as far as I can see, should I do any maintenance on it? He said the brake fluid and engine oil was just replaced the month before. This is my first bike so if there is anything that needs to be done that requires extensive knowledge, I may take it to a shop

At work at the moment and this is all I can remember off hand that needed tending to. If I remember anything else I will edit the thread with
Paulgello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
1. Check fuses and connection first, then try a new bulb
2. With any carb cleaning, you should use fresh gas in the tank. It's like taking a shower and putting back on your dirty clothes. lol
3. 250's are simple machines, learning to do your own maintenance will save you much money and you will know the work was done to your satisfaction and safety.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #3
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Carb cleaning i would not recommend unleas not running right. Run some seafoam a couple times a year. Check and lube cables check your chain and tires before each ride. Already took the safety course?

Old May 16th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgello View Post
1) First issue at hand is that I have no rear running light / brake light. When I purchased the bike it was working fine but about 2 weeks ago it stopped out of nowhere haven't been able to remedy the problem since although admittedly I haven't looked into it much. I already tried replacing the bulb and it didn't help.
It may be a blown fuse due to a pinched wire against the frame or a rusted contact due to the bike been exposed to weather for long.

Take a look at this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Electrical_%26_Lighting

Quote:
2) The bike runs relatively fine in my opinion as is however I figure a good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt just because, right? I know there's the method of just dumping seafoam into your gas tank which would be fine for me considering I've never worked on a carb before but would it require me to drain the tank afterwards?
I wouldn't go into big repairs for a while, as long as the machine is performing at least marginally.
The reason is that you should practice and becoming familiar with riding before getting involved in long repairs that tend to get complicated and frustrating for a new rider.

Quote:
3) The previous owner didn't seem to have babied the bike (was sitting outside and no garage / cover in sight) although I've had the bike and it runs relatively well as far as I can see, should I do any maintenance on it? He said the brake fluid and engine oil was just replaced the month before. This is my first bike so if there is anything that needs to be done that requires extensive knowledge, I may take it to a shop
You should cover the whole maintenance schedule.
Start by lubricating all the cables and pivots of levers.

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Paulgello
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It may be a blown fuse due to a pinched wire against the frame or a rusted contact due to the bike been exposed to weather for long.

Take a look at this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Electrical_%26_Lighting

I wouldn't go into big repairs for a while, as long as the machine is performing at least marginally.
The reason is that you should practice and becoming familiar with riding before getting involved in long repairs that tend to get complicated and frustrating for a new rider.

You should cover the whole maintenance schedule.
Start by lubricating all the cables and pivots of levers.

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule
Thank you! That faq has a lot of useful info
Paulgello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You are welcome

Good info is also available here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Index
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
I have no rear running light / brake light. When I purchased the bike it was working fine but about 2 weeks ago it stopped out of nowhere haven't been able to remedy the problem since although admittedly I haven't looked into it much. I already tried replacing the bulb and it didn't help.
The blue/red wire coming out of the taillight fuse in the junction box powers most of the lights. It powers the dash lights, the license plate light, the taillight, and the brake light. If the fuse is blown, all of those will be out.

To allow the taillight to be on in Park mode, the circuit actually runs through the ignition switch, instead of going directly to the bulb. But if the brake liight doesn't work either, then the problem is before the ignition switch.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.