ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1
IHateMountingTires
ninjette.org newbie

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Did I just mess up my new tire?

Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker...long story short, I decided to mount/balance my own tires since a local shop was going to charge me $100 just to mount/balance my tires, even though I had already taken the wheels off the bike.

Anyways I followed the wiki and managed to mount the front tire ok but when it came to the rear tire i couldn't do it, I had about 1/4 of the second bead to put over the rim and I was done, but the mother****er kept coming off no matter how much weight I put on it trying to keep it down. So I decided to heat up the tire with a heat gun. I heated it up enough I thought and it wasn't that hot to the touch (I could keep my finger on it as long as I wanted to) and BAM, this happend when I used the tire iron to try and get it over.

Is my tire done for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130614_221704.jpg (106.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130614_221742.jpg (90.6 KB, 13 views)
IHateMountingTires is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant username. I'm not sure that tire's still usable at this point, whether the bead will seat or if it will stay airtight once seated. The hints are to use as much tire soap/lube as you need. Heat guns aren't part of the equation.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

Oh dear, my gut tells me your ok but my brain is telling me otherwise. Not sure which to trust. Hoping someone will chime in for you with experience in this area.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

take a pic of inside the rip for us. if you can see the cords (looks kinda white) you fubar'ed the tire. if its just rubber then you might be ok as there's a little bit of extra rubber before you hit the bead. Always use lube when mounting, NEVER use motor oil or the likes as lube. If your doing it your self, leave the tire outside on your drive way in the sun for a bit, easiest way to soften it up.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
IHateMountingTires
ninjette.org newbie

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Relevant username. I'm not sure that tire's still usable at this point, whether the bead will seat or if it will stay airtight once seated. The hints are to use as much tire soap/lube as you need. Heat guns aren't part of the equation.
I used a lot more on the rear than I did on the front :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome!

Oh dear, my gut tells me your ok but my brain is telling me otherwise. Not sure which to trust. Hoping someone will chime in for you with experience in this area.
Thanks but I think I just found out my answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
take a pic of inside the rip for us. if you can see the cords (looks kinda white) you fubar'ed the tire. if its just rubber then you might be ok as there's a little bit of extra rubber before you hit the bead. Always use lube when mounting, NEVER use motor oil or the likes as lube. If your doing it your self, leave the tire outside on your drive way in the sun for a bit, easiest way to soften it up.
I guess this answers the questions. I'm ****ed. Is there any way that they would take this tire back? I can't believe I would have saved money had I just paid the damn $100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130614_225823.jpg (72.1 KB, 12 views)
IHateMountingTires is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Take the $100 you would have saved and make one of these.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121625

If it were me I mount it and see if it held an exact pressure for a hour, if it did then go for a short ride and check again. If it's still good then go for a longer ride and repeat. If my tire went flat on me I'm confident enough in my skills to not crash so I'd test it, if your not so confident then go with a new tire.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Take the $100 you would have saved and make one of these.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121625

If it were me I mount it and see if it held an exact pressure for a hour, if it did then go for a short ride and check again. If it's still good then go for a longer ride and repeat. If my tire went flat on me I'm confident enough in my skills to not crash so I'd test it, if your not so confident then go with a new tire.

This. Maybe slap on some rubber cement?

Old June 15th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

At the very least throw it on and do a burnout...
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to our site, T !!!

That is a painful picture.

You hate mounting tires, because you don't know how to do it properly; it doesn't really requires that brute force or any heating.

Read this:
http://www.dansmc.com/tires1.htm

That tire is not tubeless anymore, because the seal is not repairable.

Don't discard it, maybe somebody could use it with an inner tube for non-sport riding.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote