ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 9th, 2016, 02:59 AM   #1
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '90 ex250

Do people like instructional videos?

Do you? I know I like going on Youtube and seeing how stuff is done or installed. IE: installing handle bar ends or levers, etc... but that's me and I'm a visual/hands on learner vs reader.

Basically it comes down to I've been wanting to do some videos, including installs. Because I'm hoping it'll keep me from sitting around unmotivated like I have been. Additionally, I did my lever and bar-end mirrors install tonight and noticed I ended up using a different method than what I've been able to find so far.

Would it be helpful to have another person doing? Open to thoughts. Don't care? I'm cool with that too.
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I don't often watch things like that for leisure unless it's made to be entertaining as well, like Mighty Car Mods or Regular Car Reviews' Operation Vagabond Falcon, but if you have the time and you'd like to potentially help someone out, couldn't hurt unless your method is somehow damaging to the bike. But, not to sound like a dick, but how many different ways are there to install levers/bar-end mirrors? I've done both of those things and haven't needed a video. Just a little Google to learn that I needed a torch for the barends.

Now, if you wanna do a video on how to replace a pregen throttle cable, that'd be appreciated I'm sure because I had a hell of a time getting everything back together the first time.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:41 AM   #3
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
I'd rather read instructions, because I can read them a hell of a lot faster than any video presents the same information. If for some reason written instructions aren't enough, I'll find a diagram or video so I can see the routing/orientation/etc.

A lot of videos also seem to be recorded in a pretty improvised fashion. I'm sure someone out there is pretty interested in ramblings about whatever comes to your mind, but I just want to get my project done. So please, write it ahead of time.

re: MrAtom, I do enjoy MCM, but I wouldn't call it instructional any more than I'd call Mythbusters scientific. Very entertaining though.

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #4
hobbes748
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ducati 748sp, 2008 Suzuki RMz 250, 1998 Yamaha PW50

Yes!

Over the weekend YouTube guided me through the process of stripping down my broken 2005 iPod video. Now it's not broken. Thank you YouTube.
hobbes748 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I don't often watch things like that for leisure unless it's made to be entertaining as well, like Mighty Car Mods or Regular Car Reviews' Operation Vagabond Falcon, but if you have the time and you'd like to potentially help someone out, couldn't hurt unless your method is somehow damaging to the bike. But, not to sound like a dick, but how many different ways are there to install levers/bar-end mirrors? I've done both of those things and haven't needed a video. Just a little Google to learn that I needed a torch for the barends.

Now, if you wanna do a video on how to replace a pregen throttle cable, that'd be appreciated I'm sure because I had a hell of a time getting everything back together the first time.
Heck yeah!

Chopped!! Love that show! Plus, Moog makes some really good music too as his full time job.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm a visual person too, but unless there's something tricky you have to see in realtime (e.g. "insert the part at a 45° angle, twisting counterclockwise at first, then clockwise once it's halfway in, then at the very end rotate it up 70°"), I usually prefer illustrated instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VSHCxN63fk is my idea of a great video guide. It's shot and edited well, showing detail when needed and omitting anything unnecessary. Most amateur videos have a bunch of awkward silence or people rambling about stupid crap and fumbling around with the camera while they try to do something, or a single wide shot of the whole thing which doesn't show enough detail.

A written guide with good pics can be just as helpful in many situations. It's a lot easier to skip right to the part you need, and you can look at a section as long as you need (as opposed to constantly rewinding a section of video trying to see whatever you're looking for). Unless your video is scripted out well, the written guide is probably going to be presented better than you just randomly talking about something as you're doing it. http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...gs_Replacement is a simple guide, which would probably end up being a relatively long and boring video, but a few written steps with some pics gives you all the info you need to know.

I'm all about sharing knowledge. The more info we share, the less time others waste relearning the same things (which can instead be spent figuring out new things). But if your videos are just you silently removing a dozen screws, or rambling about eBay and shaking your camera all over, I'm going to end up lumping you in with all those other "social media stars" who think everyone else wants to see their worthless crap. Good videos can be extremely helpful. Bad videos just clog up the intertubes and make it harder to find the good info.

P.S. If you're going to make a video explaining how to do something, it's best to make sure you actually know what you're doing. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...89#post1102089

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #7
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
I do enjoy MCM, but I wouldn't call it instructional any more than I'd call Mythbusters scientific. Very entertaining though.
I agree, however, Mythbusters is kinda scientific, and MCM is kinda instructional. Is it useful? No. But if you were in class and they told you to make an instructional video and you made a MCM video, you would probbably get a B+.

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For people like me;

If I see it, I can do it
If I hear it and understanding it, I can do it
If I hear it and see it, I am definately doing it

If you wanna do videos, do em. They will get used.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #9
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I always enjoy watching how to videos, just keep from unnecessarily comment and drag it out.

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

The visual is nice, I just don't like the ones that are drawn out convos. A 15 min video that could have been done in 5 mins. I mainly watch if there is something I need to do and it's my first time doing it. Explanatory and to the point!

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I love watching videos to learn how to do something, many have helped me out because I can see what needs to be done when reading the service manual doesn't quite make sense.

However, I hate it when there's a huge rambling lead up or when to much talk is done in between. i.e. "Unscrew this screw here... now it might look like a Phillips and yeah a Phillips would work some what, but this screw here and these here, here, here, and here are actually JIS so if you really want to do this job properly you'll need a set of those."

Edit it to just be the point so that a user can get the sense of what to do and have a good pause in between steps so that pausing to work is manageable.

Just my opinion. If you put it out there, folks will watch it. I put out a quick side of the road headlight change video and it's my highest viewed video.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
How-to videos are very useful because they show what the manual can't.

But for me at least, they are not a substitute. They're a very valuable complement.

If you do this, please, PLEASE pay attention to production values. Too many videos are crap. You know, useless voice-over, apologies for poor camera work ("Don't know if you can see, this, but...."), crap lighting, crap audio, trying to do something with one hand while holding the phone with the other, etc. etc.

How many videos have we all seen where it's nothing but ten minutes of some guy droning on, showing parts of the bike but not actually doing anything?

First rule of editing: Put it all in. Then look at it, and cut out anything that isn't actually about the topic.

Show clearly and in context, explain clearly and in context, avoid pointless commentary, use useful terminology, etc.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
as long as they are done right. I don't know how many informative videos I have watched that skip very small important details about how to do something and that something was my whole purpose for watching the video.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #14
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '90 ex250

All duly noted. Thanks everyone
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #15
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
as long as they are done right. I don't know how many informative videos I have watched that skip very small important details about how to do something and that something was my whole purpose for watching the video.
Like when you are struggling to get a door cover off without breaking it, watch a video on installing speakers in that certain car, and the guy just says "Its kinda difficult to get the door cover off without breaking it, I broke the first one, but I took them both off before I started filming".

Well thanks, I already knew that, elsewise I wouldn't be watching your ****** 30 minute long video on installing speakers in a 350z.

Old May 11th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #16
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Videos are great. I found one on adjusting the chain that was very helpful. Plus I looked at a few before I reupholstered my ninja seat. I don't like the videos where the person does a lot of introduction, just the ones where they say here's what I'm going to cover/ you'll learn/let's get started. Usually I skip any video where it takes too long to get to the actual instruction. I want to work on the bike and ride! That's why it must be done!
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote