Old July 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #81
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Try to sit on a supersport with an under tail exhaust and you'll know
Yep I've heard this... but it would be a design flaw for the bike to get HOT to the touch. That's where your butt goes.. The most it should get is warm.

Old July 12th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #82
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yep I've heard this... but it would be a design flaw for the bike to get HOT to the touch. That's where your butt goes.. The most it should get is warm.
Warm is okay, but if it's causing the lower half of my body to sweat, then it's too hot for daily riding, especially if I was going to be walking around campus and sitting.

Old July 12th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #83
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 636 250r

More people than you may think track their bikes. Especially now since track days are increasingly more affordable. But you will always have the squids that want to be throttle jockeys and try to impress someone.

Hot literally meaning hot, uncomfortable. You have very little air flowing around you when in a 3/4 riding position . A good portion of your body weight is resting on the tank and you can creating more heat. Your ass gets hot from the fairings moving the air away from you. I start getting heat rash in about an hour and from what I've heard my bike has one of the better supersport seats.

There are hundreds if not thousands of bikes that make more useable power than the 250

Old July 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #84
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Not to mention letting the bike idle and run at such low rpms does a number on the valves

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #85
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Heres a way to try a Yamaha supersport
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/yamahaevents

I might try the r6 next weekend when the demo truck hits the next dealer nearby. The fz-07 was a lot of fun and the fz-09 was way fast.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #86
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post

I might try the r6 next weekend when the demo truck hits the next dealer nearby. The fz-07 was a lot of fun and the fz-09 was way fast.
Woowww so going to that. I need to ride a fz

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #87
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
All bikes get hot, but supersports radiate a lot of heat that can be felt through gaps in the fairings or near the exhaust. Try to sit on a supersport with an under tail exhaust and you'll know.

I can vouch for this.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #88
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds650rida View Post
Woowww so going to that. I need to ride a fz
I forgot to add that there's an age restriction on certain bikes. Think it was 21 for the R but you should confirm.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #89
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that. I'll definitely be trying the r6 when they're down here in August. I have no interest in the FZ-07.

Quote:
I forgot to add that there's an age restriction on certain bikes. Think it was 21 for the R but you should confirm.
I really hope this isn't true.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #90
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Its cool I'm 25. I only have interest in the fz07 and 09.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #91
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I sat on a few R6's at the dealer, I'm 5'10 and couldn't get my feet planted on the ground all the way. The pegs are way high, also. Maybe those bikes were lifted? Not sure if their stock height but I've been told the seat on the r6's sit HIGHER than the handlebars
r6's have very aggressive ergos with a very high seat height and on top of that, they are wide. You gotta be around 6' to easily flatfoot a stock height r6. A common mod to them is to also lower the front about 20mm AND install clipons that are even more aggressive (lower) than stock.

If you want a good daily driver, think long and hard before getting an r6. Some riders can do it though, how. Just like the 250, the r6 is asleep under 8k and a savage animal @ 10k and heigher. Nearly ALL the power is in the upper rpm range.

Ask me how I know.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #92
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
r6's have very aggressive ergos with a very high seat height and on top of that, they are wide. You gotta be around 6' to easily flatfoot a stock height r6. A common mod to them is to also lower the front about 20mm AND install clipons that are even more aggressive (lower) than stock.

If you want a good daily driver, think long and hard before getting an r6. Some riders can do it though, how. Just like the 250, the r6 is asleep under 8k and a savage animal @ 10k and heigher. Nearly ALL the power is in the upper rpm range.

Ask me how I know.
This does give me some hope. I know there will always be a better more economical option but what's the fun of riding something I don't want to ride? It all comes down to the enjoyment factor.

I could be buying a car (mom wants me to sell my bike and she said she'll go half with me on buying a car), but no, there's no fun in a sh*tty car.

Since you own an r6 truly how is it? In my head it's uncontrollably powerful, but I know it's not. I could go finance one tomorrow

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #93
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
They go 0-60 in 3 seconds ish...maybe less sometimes. That is extremely powerful. Especially vs your r6...

Have you given though about the maintenance cost and insurance?

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #94
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
They go 0-60 in 3 seconds ish...maybe less sometimes. That is extremely powerful. Especially vs your r6...

Have you given though about the maintenance cost and insurance?
Insurance will be fun. What kind of maintenance on an SS would be different than any other bike?

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #95
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

If you have some common sense, they are easily ridden on the street. All ya gotta do is keep the rrrrr's in check via smart throttle inputs. They are not uncontrollable beast but the real deal with r6's and many other ss's, is that a major chunk of power comes ALL at once around that 8k mark and no... it's nothing like hitting the turbo boost. But... to go from 35 to 75 without shifting a gear in a few seconds can take a rider by surprise and where a lot of riders get into trouble. This is the main reason people say to start on a smaller machine.

Another honesty here: I have never pinned the throttle on my r6 while on the public streets, there's simply no need. Yep, even when asleep.

Meh... now that I think about it, I have already posted this. Which should address your "enjoyment factor".

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #96
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Has anyone talked you into a first gen turbo busa yet??? That's what you want for sure... Go big or go home!

Pay no attention to the man over here I got tired o likin what chonie had to say, an shakin my head

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #97
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
If you have some common sense, they are easily ridden on the street. All ya gotta do is keep the rrrrr's in check via smart throttle inputs. They are not uncontrollable beast but the real deal with r6's and many other ss's, is that a major chunk of power comes ALL at once around that 8k mark and no... it's nothing like hitting the turbo boost. But... to go from 35 to 75 without shifting a gear in a few seconds can take a rider by surprise and where a lot of riders get into trouble. This is the main reason people say to start on a smaller machine.

Another honesty here: I have never pinned the throttle on my r6 while on the public streets, there's simply no need. Yep, even when asleep.

Meh... now that I think about it, I have already posted this. Which should address your "enjoyment factor".
I want to test ride a 600 so freaking bad. Why don't I have any friends that ride???!?? Aggghghh

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #98
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Honda makes one hell of a bike; gixxers have plenty of fanboys... Get what you please... But watch yourself

Old July 13th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #99
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Why not just go into the higher cc sport class like the ninja 650 or 1000?
Why do you feel the need to go into a SS class of machine right off the bat after riding the 250?
There are so many other options in the sport class range capable of doing what your looking for to completely overlook them.
Don't get me wrong, i love the sound of a SS bike as much as the next guy, but for what your looking to do i would expect a higher cc sport class would suit you better.

Old July 13th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #100
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I feel that there is some serious misinformation and heavy bias in this thread. This certainly isn't the first time someone has been shot down for wanting a big bike on this forum though. Some members seem to think if you can't max out the 250s potential then you have no right jumping onto something bigger. Make no mistake, a 600 is no joke, it took me all of 5 seconds test riding my F4i to realize holy **** how do people even learn on these, no wonder there are so many bad riders. They are not forgiving, and are wicked fast, and the power comes on so quick that once the bikes going you better know what you're doing or you're gonna have a bad time. Don't underestimate the heat issue either, it's no design flaw, it's the fact that you have a lot of engine cramped into a tiny space, surrounded by body work, so air doesn't exactly flow too well. My F4i got hot to the touch, it literally burnt my legs. Any day over 90 degrees and I was sweating from the bike, not the weather. That's the only thing I didn't like about it.

That all being said, I miss that bike dearly and really want another 600, heat or no heat. If it's what you really want, then you can put up with the downsides of it. In cooler weather like 70 degrees or less it was fine, and I commuted to school about 14 miles each way every day on it with a backpack loaded with textbooks without issue. Screw upright riding positions, my F4i was heads and tails more comfortable FOR ME than my 919 which is really similar to the current crop of nakeds in terms of seating position. I've got some lower bars coming so that should help but the main issue is footpeg location, my shoulders, waist and feet are in line with each other as they are on most naked sportbikes and that just doesn't work for me. There's also no sense in riding a bike you don't truly love, and it's okay to love a bike for it's looks if that's what you want. Maybe it doesn't make much practical sense but riding motorcycles isn't about practicality to begin with. If I wanted practical I'd sell my bikes and my mustang and buy a used golf or civic hatch or something. And 600s aren't BAD streetbikes, they just aren't amazing. A Ninja 650 is probably a better streetbike but I've never heard it described as anything but an appliance on wheels. Or an SV, or a naked that isn't an SF848 or superduke or tuono or any other crazy supernaked. The advantage a supersport has is it can be used on the street for commuting and such, even if it's not the best choice, but then you take it down your favorite canyon and it absolutely rocks, then you tape up the lights and spend a day at the track and it realllyyyy shows what it can do, then you take off the tape and ride it to work or school the next day. Rinse, repeat, and have a feeling of satisfaction that you are using your machine to the fullest of it's intended purpose. That's the beauty of a supersport right there. And you enjoy the gained skill and confidence. After my first track day on my CBR it felt like I didn't even know how to ride it before. I had so much more confidence and just felt so much more in tune with the bike. Taking an average street corner that's covered in tar snakes and has slippery white cross-walk lines that I'd previously be pretty cautious around was like nothing because I had felt the massive amounts of grip the bike had that I wasn't even capable of breaking.

Here's my advice to you; you're on a 250 forum so expect the bias you're seeing. Everyone here is really just trying to help you, regardless of their approach. We all come from different backgrounds and have our own opinions, riding styles, etc, which is represented in what we're trying to communicate to you. But in the end it's going to be your choice and your choice only, and you're the one who has to live with that choice, and none of us are in your position so it's easy to just blabber on about what we think is right and this and that because we aren't the ones who have to make your decision and live with it. So take all that we have to say with a grain of salt. I strongly suggest that you ride every bike you can. Every. Single. One. Demo event? ride an FZ09/07 even if you don't want one. Ride an R6. Ride a bolt! Maybe don't jump on something huge like an FJR just yet, that's a loooot of bike. But just do it to experience the different types of bikes and the different nuances and characteristics they all have. You may find that the sexiness of a 600 just doesn't outweigh the streetability of a naked. Or you may find the exact opposite. Experience is the best way to find out what's going to work out best FOR YOU. In the mean time, keep your 250, ride the heck out of it, get as much riding experience as you can on it, then sell it and don't pay anywhere close to 7 grand for a bike that's hitting puberty.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #101
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Never finance a toy, especially a Supersport.

If ya cant afford to buy it, ya cant afford to run it.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #102
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 13th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #103
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
It's not that we're shooting your ideas down, but rather that we want you to make an informed and not hasty decision...

As for maintenance. Think about it.

I have four spark plugs vs two (Not all as are four cylinders though)

My tires are bigger and more expensive.

Fuel mileage is worse.

Most of the time I don't even use more than 25 HP, so honestly idk why I have a 600. 250/300 is just more practical...

Old July 13th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #104
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I feel that there is some serious misinformation and heavy bias in this thread. This certainly isn't the first time someone has been shot down for wanting a big bike on this forum though. Some members seem to think if you can't max out the 250s potential then you have no right jumping onto something bigger. Make no mistake, a 600 is no joke, it took me all of 5 seconds test riding my F4i to realize holy **** how do people even learn on these, no wonder there are so many bad riders. They are not forgiving, and are wicked fast, and the power comes on so quick that once the bikes going you better know what you're doing or you're gonna have a bad time. Don't underestimate the heat issue either, it's no design flaw, it's the fact that you have a lot of engine cramped into a tiny space, surrounded by body work, so air doesn't exactly flow too well. My F4i got hot to the touch, it literally burnt my legs. Any day over 90 degrees and I was sweating from the bike, not the weather. That's the only thing I didn't like about it.

That all being said, I miss that bike dearly and really want another 600, heat or no heat. If it's what you really want, then you can put up with the downsides of it. In cooler weather like 70 degrees or less it was fine, and I commuted to school about 14 miles each way every day on it with a backpack loaded with textbooks without issue. Screw upright riding positions, my F4i was heads and tails more comfortable FOR ME than my 919 which is really similar to the current crop of nakeds in terms of seating position. I've got some lower bars coming so that should help but the main issue is footpeg location, my shoulders, waist and feet are in line with each other as they are on most naked sportbikes and that just doesn't work for me. There's also no sense in riding a bike you don't truly love, and it's okay to love a bike for it's looks if that's what you want. Maybe it doesn't make much practical sense but riding motorcycles isn't about practicality to begin with. If I wanted practical I'd sell my bikes and my mustang and buy a used golf or civic hatch or something. And 600s aren't BAD streetbikes, they just aren't amazing. A Ninja 650 is probably a better streetbike but I've never heard it described as anything but an appliance on wheels. Or an SV, or a naked that isn't an SF848 or superduke or tuono or any other crazy supernaked. The advantage a supersport has is it can be used on the street for commuting and such, even if it's not the best choice, but then you take it down your favorite canyon and it absolutely rocks, then you tape up the lights and spend a day at the track and it realllyyyy shows what it can do, then you take off the tape and ride it to work or school the next day. Rinse, repeat, and have a feeling of satisfaction that you are using your machine to the fullest of it's intended purpose. That's the beauty of a supersport right there. And you enjoy the gained skill and confidence. After my first track day on my CBR it felt like I didn't even know how to ride it before. I had so much more confidence and just felt so much more in tune with the bike. Taking an average street corner that's covered in tar snakes and has slippery white cross-walk lines that I'd previously be pretty cautious around was like nothing because I had felt the massive amounts of grip the bike had that I wasn't even capable of breaking.

Here's my advice to you; you're on a 250 forum so expect the bias you're seeing. Everyone here is really just trying to help you, regardless of their approach. We all come from different backgrounds and have our own opinions, riding styles, etc, which is represented in what we're trying to communicate to you. But in the end it's going to be your choice and your choice only, and you're the one who has to live with that choice, and none of us are in your position so it's easy to just blabber on about what we think is right and this and that because we aren't the ones who have to make your decision and live with it. So take all that we have to say with a grain of salt. I strongly suggest that you ride every bike you can. Every. Single. One. Demo event? ride an FZ09/07 even if you don't want one. Ride an R6. Ride a bolt! Maybe don't jump on something huge like an FJR just yet, that's a loooot of bike. But just do it to experience the different types of bikes and the different nuances and characteristics they all have. You may find that the sexiness of a 600 just doesn't outweigh the streetability of a naked. Or you may find the exact opposite. Experience is the best way to find out what's going to work out best FOR YOU. In the mean time, keep your 250, ride the heck out of it, get as much riding experience as you can on it, then sell it and don't pay anywhere close to 7 grand for a bike that's hitting puberty.
Thank you!

Old July 13th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #105
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
That's ****ing hilarious, I really hope that doesn't resemble me, though..

Old July 13th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #106
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
when it comes to compairing any bikes, get the one you like the looks best, you will hardly be able to tell the difference in performance.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old July 13th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #107
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i own a 600.

for people who say that you need that much power on public roads; you're stupid. you don't need anywhere near that much power. if you really want to use that much power on public streets, you're a cock.

so if you want a 600 and don't want to actually use a 600 for what its meant for, but instead use it for things it's not meant for (going the speed limit), just so you can look cool on it. well, then i would call you a poser. and i think it would be a waste of money.

but that's just coming from me, who owns a ****** 600. and ****** 250s. and broken other bikes. so my opinion is probably invalid anyway since none of my bikes are shiny enough.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #108
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
typical noob upgrade thread.

I want x bike because its sexy.

no, that's too much bike. you have limited experience. Try y instead for your riding style

but I can finance the sex bike!

that's even dumber, it's a toy.

okay, thanks! I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

a month later, the sexy bike has been crashed.

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #109
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Brian have you tried a supermoto, fair enough that you said you didn't want to feel like you're sitting in a chair being upright, they're a bit more of a hooligan machine than racer, and not as focused on top end speed, more on getting there quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
It's not that we're shooting your ideas down, but rather that we want you to make an informed and not hasty decision...

As for maintenance. Think about it.

I have four spark plugs vs two (Not all as are four cylinders though)

My tires are bigger and more expensive.

Fuel mileage is worse.

Most of the time I don't even use more than 25 HP, so honestly idk why I have a 600. 250/300 is just more practical...
That depends on where you're riding, if you've to do a **** load of motorway the bigger bike will get better mpg. I was seeing around 60mpg in 6th at 85mph on the motorway yesterday, thats on the 675. Around town they're thirsty ****ers & I don't even look at the dash if I'm opening it up properly

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #110
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Take the average of your whole tank.

I've never seen 50mpg on my zx6r.

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #111
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Again it depends on the trip.

I've done a few cross country runs on both, more because I had to be somewhere & wasn't doing twistys or much small roads.

for those the 675 cost less to fuel.

as I said it's a thirsty bitch about town, but surprised me how light on juice it is for fast steady A-B on the motorway.

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #112
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
These are truly streetbikes.
Not true. These are truly race bikes that people buy to ride on the street because of the exact same reasons you want to... in this case, "I need more power to enjoy myself." Other reasons are handling, or they like the ergos... but for the vast majority it's for the image.

There are sporty bikes that ARE truly street bikes. I give you the brand new Honda CBR650F...

I ride a supersport. I will be taking it to the track next weekend, as a matter of fact.

You asked what the differences were moving up from a 250... I'd say the biggest one is to be GENTLE with the throttle. You're used to wringing the bike's neck. Grab the throttle of a 600 in the same way and you'll soil yourself. If you don't crash. A tiny little bit goes a VERY long way. There are many, many parking lot fail videos of guys who don't understand this.

By the way, have you tried riding your 250 around at high RPM? The party starts at 8k, you know. The bike can handle it. Go out for a ride and focus on keeping the revs up. It might open your eyes to how much fun a 250 can be.... and if you discover that, you might just save yourself $6,000. It's not about whether you're "ready" for a 600. It's about having fun, right? You've talked yourself into "needing" a 600 to have fun. BS. I can have huge fun on a freakin' moped. It's about YOUR attitude, not the bike.

You wrote:
Quote:
I personally don't think a 250cc bike is sufficient enough... it's always screaming on any gear I'm in just to move it up to speed, so I'm constantly shifting where I don't feel I should be.
Screaming is exactly what the 250 was made to do! What's wrong with high rpm? What's wrong with shifting? It's a skill that is highly rewarding once you master it. I MISS not having to shift. What, you want an automatic transmission or something?

When I take my GSXR-750 to the track next weekend it's likely that most of the time I'll be in second gear, except for the front straight. Why? To keep the revs up!!!!

Quote:
1st-2nd gear on the 250 is a huge joke. Unless it's in 8-9k RPM, in those gears I'm only going around 25mph... The only comfortable speed on this bike is 4-5 gear and that's outrageous to me.
First on ANY bike is just to get it moving. So you can't ride fast enough in second gear? You've got six gears. Upshift.

Why is using fourth or fifth "outrageous?" That makes no sense.

My 750 makes 125 horsepower or thereabouts. I could ride it around all day -- including the highway -- never getting above third gear if I wanted to, and never approach redline. For that matter, I can hit the speed limit on the highway in first gear. So having gears above third is... well, a "joke" on the street, to use the logic you're bringing to this.

Seriously... go find your favorite bit of twisty road and go for a spirited ride, focusing on keeping the revs up in the 8-9-10k range. The bike will sing to you.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Old July 13th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #113
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ to further the point,

Rowing through the gears on a 55 mph back road is so rewarding on the 250. You can do 65 or so on the straight parts, then drop 2 or 3 gears and slow down to 40 for tip-in on turns, then accelerate through exit, and go back up in gears. For the really really tight 20 mph suggested speed turns, you drop to 2nd at 20-ish, and rip out on exit.

On the 250, you're able to max out at 65 (which isn't TOO extralegal) on the backroad, but you get the satisfaction of running through the gears for as many turns as you want without keeping an insane pace which invites disaster.

As Andrew said, those same roads would be 3rd gear, maybe drop to 2nd for the slow stuff on a supersport with tall gearing. To keep the revs high means carrying way too much speed in 1st gear, which is a little more choppy when you're on and off the gas for curves unless your throttle control is very smooth and thought out.

Yes, I've spent a entire season (about 1400 miles) with a borrowed CBR600 F3. It was a hoot, but it was an eye-opener to an entirely different style of riding. I loved every mile, but I realized the bike wasn't for me... yet. I'm too happy with the revvy little ninja and the shifty transmission to give it up. I will get a larger bike for high speed long distance cruising after I'm able to afford owning 2 bikes at once. Until then, the 250 is my preference, or maybe one of these newfangled 300 class bikes for just a tad more corner exit torque.

It's the same reason people love miatas. It's not about blowing doors off other cars. It's not about the stoplight drag. it's not about leaving rubber strips every entrance ramp. That's what Mustangs are for. It's about the experience. Rowing through a gear box, a simple dash, controls that aren't overly-assisted, an engine that rewards some revving but doesn't mask your errors with powahhh, and a chassis that feels pretty sorted without blowing your budget. Sure, a Viper is faster. But just the sheer amount of capability (brakes, torque, tall gearing, etc) it has takes more skill to wield competently. Anyone can get in a miata, learn how driving should feel and how to read the feedback from the car, and subsequently improve their skills behind the wheel. When you get it right, it's fun and quick.

I think you just want the supersport for the sexy fairings and racerboiiiiii image. Don't lie. Who wants to be seen in a miata when you can make it rain wet panties at every stoplight in a lambo?

Old July 13th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #114
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

Exchange golden goose w/SS.

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #115
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Here is another option Brain.

It satisfies all criteria while yet looking sexy as hell. And the best thing is... you can take it to the kart track and ride the piss outta it for around $20 a day instead of $200 a day.

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #116
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:
I've heard different... How far did you go up from the 250 that makes you say this? I've heard 600's aren't too bad once you get a feel for them. Even people who started on a 600+ say it wasn't bad.
The bike I'm riding now is a literbike. Granted, the bike has electronic traction controls to make the bike a bit safer to ride, but there is still a definite learning curve.

I kind of think of it as this (in a kind of pessimistic view): remember folks saying that most folks dump their bikes in the first 6 months of riding? That timer restarts when you get a new bike.

I heard people mention demo days (in particular the Yamaha one). Definitely do take the opportunity to ride a few of them. Who knows, you may end up in a scooter?

I would definitely also keep an open mind on other brands as well. Finding a used BMW isn't as difficult as it seems, and most of them are well maintained.

Quote:
Here is another option Brain.

It satisfies all criteria while yet looking sexy as hell. And the best thing is... you can take it to the kart track and ride the piss outta it for around $20 a day instead of $200 a day.

Wow. Those are tough to find these days.

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #117
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
I personally don't think a 250cc bike is sufficient enough... and it's crazy I'm saying that on this forum, but it's always screaming on any gear I'm in just to move it up to speed, so I'm constantly shifting where I don't feel I should be. 1st-2nd gear on the 250 is a huge joke. Unless it's in 8-9k RPM, in those gears I'm only going around 25mph... The only comfortable speed on this bike is 4-5 gear and that's outrageous to me, again I haven't ridden anything more powerful than the 250 so I don't know what to expect, just sharing my experiences with it.

I would love a bigger, heavier bike with wider tires that I can actually feel planted on the ground and the 600 is what I would stay with forever, I hope it will be the perfect sized street bike and there are many that agree.
If you are tired of screaming through gears a 600cc IS NOT THE WAY TO GO, you would be much better off with the FZ07/09 NEW for the same price. Those prices are STUPID expensive, you would be upside down the second you left the dealer.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a larger bike, hell I couldn't stand riding the 250 after a few years, it was freakin' slower than my car..... I'm just saying if you don't like screaming around on your bike you need to look at something besides a 600cc I4. Twins and triples can be run much lower in the power range.

If you compare dyno graphs you'll see that the FZ07 out torques the R6 easily. If your not riding the track or being a squid I'd be willing to bet the FZ07 will out perform the R6 (or other 600cc supersport). Blasting around campus it would be the way to go, upright seating makes darting in and out of traffic easier, low end grunt makes passing cars easier, insurance will be cheaper, depreciation won't be as bad, etc, etc.

FYI, the FZ07 makes 50 ft. lbs at 6,500 rpm, a R6 is only making about 30 ft lbs at the same rpms.

If your really set on plastics SV650SF (lots of these at the track too) is a great bike, so is the Ninja 650.

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #118
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
Wow. Those are tough to find these days.
irk!!! I have been in the market for one for the past 3yrs. Sure, I have seen a few go by but either the bike wasn't in good enough shape or they wanted too much. I missed the one I should have bought last year. 2k on cl with only minor things needed.

All the quality bits of a ss, just in a smaller package. What's not to love?

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #119
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
so if you want a 600 and don't want to actually use a 600 for what its meant for, but instead use it for things it's not meant for (going the speed limit), just so you can look cool on it. well, then i would call you a poser. and i think it would be a waste of money.
I would have to disagree:
1. in order for those bikes to be legal under FIM standards people need to buy those bikes.
2. A 600 is fun in the canyons even 10-15 over the speed limit, I do that speed on the 250R often.
3. Bikes are toys, some kids need bigger toys to compensate for short comings.
4. I also have a 600 and 250.
5. Gearing a 250 to go 75 at lower RPMs, is still not match for a 600 stock going 75.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old July 13th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #120
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Btw, my FZ6 doesn't get noticeably hot. Also my bum is never warm from my under tail. So no, not all 600s run hot.

It is a naked though, so I suppose more heat escapes.

Closed Thread