ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #1
jdeuel
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '86 FJ1200, 07 250 Ninja

Scooter or EX250?

Hello, all-some of this is cut and pasted from an earlier question I asked over in the tech forum.

Anyway, my daughter is off to college and she needs some campus transportation. She has workouts at 0700 daily and walking across campus is 20-25 minutes downhill. A bicycle is not a great solution since the aforementioned downhill becomes a post-workout uphill on the return trip.

I've got a deposit down on a beautiful 07 EX250 for my daughter. She rode it yesterday and took to it like a duck to water-never even stalled it. The fit is perfect-see the attached photo. My wife is NOT happy. She feels that a scooter is 'safer'. I wholeheartedly disagree, as I would imaging most other motorcyclists do. Unfortunately, I'm not able to come up with any credible statistics comparing the two.

Lots of the girls at her school (and guys) ride scooters: Yamaha Vino 50's, Zumas, and a few Chinese deathtraps. The local dealer sells them all day long at $2,500-up. I'm not a huge fan, and neither is my daughter. The scariest thing is how very little respect these kids have for riding. I cringe when I see a young lady hop on her 'cute' little scooter, perch her helmet atop her head (the chinguard on the full-face her dad bought her is across her forehead) and wobble off at full throttle wearing flipflops, Nike shorts, and a bikini top. I feel like it isn't seen as cool for scooter riders to wear full gear, where for sport bike riders in the same environment, it is.

My girl has been riding a TTR-230 Yamaha around our summer place for a few years and drives Jeep with a stick. She understands ATGATT and is fairly good about practicing it. She shares my disdain for the scooter thing and is gravitating toward either a Ninja 250 or a Suzuki DRZ-400. The DRZ is cool as heck, but the seat height is ridiculous and a good used one is nearly 4 large. My wife...well, she thinks a little red sportbike is too boyish for our daughter and that it will scare away boys (which I thought was a bonus...). I tried the analogy that a scooter is like a pink Glock in a Luis Vuitton holster-it might be adorable, but it'll still kill you if you don't respect it. That went over like a fart in church...

I'd love to hear your compelling arguments either way, along with any statistics you might have. I'm really just looking for the safest option between the two.

Cheers-Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.1 KB, 53 views)
jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #2
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

You know what I think already, so good luck figuring things out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeuel View Post
My wife...well, she thinks a little red sportbike is too boyish for our daughter
Uuuuuggghhhhh. Screw this attitude so hard. Clearly she needs a pink one, right?
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

A scooter is perfectly fine, it is superior to the 250 in two departments: storage space and low speed handling, both of which are important. However, your daughter is clearly capable of handling a sportbike that is better than a scooter in every other characteristic, looks just as adorable, and can easily cover it's disadvantages with a backpack and some riding time. Why limit her like this? Especially when she already has the gear to go with the sportbike look?

As for the silly boyish-look: The pregen 250s that share the square headlight historically have had their marketing leaning towards beginner riders and women.

Take a look at the picture of the 2008+ ninjas. Yes, the headlight is now frowning.
Take a look at the 2013+ 300 or ninja 250 or any recent sport bike, suddenly the lines are sharp and the headlights are going RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNGH PAIN I SHAVE WITH A DIE GRINDER.

Of all the motorcycles, you have picked one of the least of the evils.

If you really want to push for the bike. Don't totally discredit the scooter, make the Ninja 250 look like a ninjette and prove it is superior to the scooter for your purposes.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
hmmm...

Which does SHE want?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #5
jdeuel
ninjette.org member

Oh-SHE most definitely wants the Ninja. She thinks scooters are lame, in no small part to the aforementioned sorority girls in flip flops and crop tops riding them.

And as far as the look-for her I definitely like the riding position and overall appearance better than the newer 'praying mantis' look.

Thanks for the opinions!!

Old September 6th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #6
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
hmmm...

Which does SHE want?
This. Your kid will love you for respecting her choices.

And, also, too "boyish" for her? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I searched and the only real study I found : http://www.themotorreport.com.au/539...orcycles-study

The data showed that scooters were statistically safer than motos or mopeds. However in my opinion the competence and safety consciousness of the operator always outweghs the statistical risk of operating a particular vehicle. If your daughter is skilled and safety-conscious she should get the ninjette if that is what she wantts. my 2 cents

Old September 6th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #8
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I searched and the only real study I found : http://www.themotorreport.com.au/539...orcycles-study

The data showed that scooters were statistically safer than motos or mopeds. However in my opinion the competence and safety consciousness of the operator always outweghs the statistical risk of operating a particular vehicle. If your daughter is skilled and safety-conscious she should get the ninjette if that is what she wantts. my 2 cents
I think it's probably that more people get a motorcycle because it's cool and dangerous and they don't have respect for what the bike is capable of. Think of the demographic of people that use scooters and the demographic of people that use motorcycles.

But, yeah. Your daughter's maturity level has a lot to do with it as well. I you think she's responsible enough, get it for her.

Old September 6th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Scooter: + MPG (usually), + storage, + ease of use (twist, go)
Ninjette: + street cred (read: not being targeted by cagers), + top speed

I've had both. I miss the storage of my Elite 110cc, and don't at all miss the 57mph limiter. Confer with the kid about ATGATT and her preference. Insist on the ATGATT. I don't mean to be crude about it but proper gear attracts the right sort of male attention; the scooter-squid outfit only attracts trouble.

"SHE most definitely wants the Ninja"

OK then; get one, an Alu-Rack for storage + some sort of case, GEAR, and training.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #10
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

if she wants teh ninja then there you go. Too boyish for a red ninja? paint is what...20dollars? seems like an easy fix. Not to mention theres plenty of grown women on here that <333 their ninjas.

AINT DAT RIGHT LADIES
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
AINT DAT RIGHT LADIES
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #12
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I would look at the Genuine Buddy170i. Great scooter lots of accessories and warranty. They are fuel injected and really fun to ride.

Old September 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #13
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I believe the Ninja would be a good fit for your Daughter. She seems more than capable of handling it and she will love it longer than the scooter. Just make sure she does not allow anyone else to ride it (or make sure your insurance will cover them also) College age boys who ride scooters will line up for a chance to ride a Ninja. You dont want to deal with some guys testosterone fueled (and possible alcohol) mistake! Sometimes a 57mph limiter is there for a reason!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
A woman on a motorcycle is HOT.

A woman on a scooter is cute. Maybe.

As the woman in question, her feelings on this may differ from yours as a parent.

The Ninja offers the ability to get out of town, while the scooter is more practical in a tight urban environment. Consider the use to which it will be put.

Unlike a scooter, a Ninja is a real bike capable of high speeds. That means ATGATT if you're a responsible rider, and insistence on ATGATT if you're a responsible parent. Is your daughter one who will do this?

Little utility bikes are huge fun in the right environment. I was watching Top Gear last night and James May showed up on a Honda Cub, calling it one of the all-time great people's vehicles. Man, the memories came flooding back. That was the first bike I ever rode and I LOVED it. There's a lot to be said for simple, basic transportation.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #15
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
There's a lot to be said for simple, basic transportation.
I hear that! My first "motorcycle" was a weedeater motor I mounted on a pedal bike. Good times, man.

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #16
M42
Wrench wench

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

You could also get her a grom much more rad than a scooter, but with the same pros.

Old September 9th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #17
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
You could also get her a grom much more rad than a scooter, but with the same pros.
Another great idea. I saw one in a local dealership and they look like a lot of fun for only 125cc's.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #18
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I had a scooter in college, it worked great! So much easier than the motorcycle, plus I could fit a 30 case in between my legs! Bought it used, sold it for what I bought it for when I graduated.

I eventually upgraded to a bicycle for beer duty though, turns out a rear rack on a road bike can carry beer as well... not to mention you can take short cuts!

A serious benefit of the scooter for riding to class is helmet storage, one less thing to carry around campus.

Old September 9th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Old September 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I'd use the culture surrounding scooters vs. motorcycles to your advantage.

Any scooter is going to go just as fast around the city as a 250. In the event that your daughter gets in an accident, which is just as likely to be the fault of someone else as your daughter (thereby negating any difference between cycle and scooter), would your wife rather her do it wearing full gear, or dressed like all of the other scooter riders? Never mind that hopefully your daughter wouldn't give in to peer pressure and forgo gear just because she's on a "scooter."

Old September 9th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #21
M42
Wrench wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Never mind that hopefully your daughter wouldn't give in to peer pressure and forgo gear just because she's on a "scooter."
She needs to go in the complete opposite direction and arrive to school like this:

Old September 9th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Or you could go all mods 'n rockers and make a real statement with the scooter. That'd get her a LOT of interest from the boys.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I always find it funny when people go on a ninja 250 forum and ask opinions about other bikes/scooters (in your case) compared to the 250. It's like, obviously we're all going to be biased.

Here's the thing, scooters are very limited, you have to ride on the side of the road to allow cars to pass since most scooters top off at about 50mph, and you can't ride the highway. All it's good for is commuting in a city environment that has lots of traffic.

In my opinion a 250 is safer, but that's just me. You need to have some power to get out of situations that a scooter just cannot provide.

Don't listen to your sexist wife. Your daughter looks good and happy on that red pregen, get her that.

just my .02

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 9th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #24
nbleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

If this is intended for campus use only, my vote would be for a scooter. so much more practical in a campus environment.

The moment commuting or travelling outside of campus becomes a possibility, my vote goes towards the ninja.
nbleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #25
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

"she thinks a little red sportbike is too boyish for our daughter and that it will scare away boys"

Completely the opposite... I don't know about you guys but I prefer girls who share my interest. I would LOVE to meet a girl who rides motorcycles... Woo, nothing would be more attractive.

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I mean for just around campus, I fail to see why the hill is too big to get a bicycle. Unless we're talking a 600ft climb, in which case, I'd love to have that problem.

Since that's not an option, I'd go scooter. Smaller, easier, hop on and go. Motorcycle is happier going faster. Scooter is great for riding around small areas and is as maneuverable as a bicycle. There's a reason a lot of dudes at the track use scooters for the pits.

If she likes the ninja though, by all means she cannot go wrong with it. Ignore the attitude from the Missus, no offense to her, but I think she's misguided. I vote scooter, but I'm a ninjette fanboiiii so....

From a college guy, I'd love love love love it if my girlfriend rode a red sport bike. Heck, I'd be happy if she rode a bicycle with me. I'm just happy she runs with me and plays soccer with me. She'll get adequate attention from the college gents, whatever she does.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #27
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hmmmmm I know what I'd choose, you can even add storage to the 250
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #28
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
My wife loves her red ninja, and guys seem to like her on it as well...lol

But if it was me, for school/campus use, I'd go scooter with a trunk. Tons of room to carry stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.6 KB, 6 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #29
Milsparro
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): '87 KLR650, '97 Virago

This is a girl's motorcycle according to most guys...

This bike is the smallest "go anywhere" bike there, it has the legs a scooter won't. Road trip!
Milsparro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #30
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

E. X. 250.

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #31
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

OP is best parent ever.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #32
jdeuel
ninjette.org member

Talking Done deal.

Just wanted to follow up and let you good people we picked up the bike today. My wife took my daughter to the scooter dealer to check out some scooters, and one of the turning points was when the salesman said that the 49cc scooters would do 39-41 mph down the hills and 22mph up. I think she realized our kid would be going 22 while the cars are going 35+...

My daughter is ridiculously happy. She's coming home on Sunday and we're going gear shopping, then spending some time getting familiar with the bike.

I rode it home and knew within a few miles we had made the right decision-what a well mannered, predictable bike! My last motorcycle, as I mentioned before, was an FJ1200 Yamaha. Stable, but the acceleration could snap your neck off.. None of that with the Ninja, which is juuuust fine.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!

Old September 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Old September 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #34
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeuel View Post

My daughter is ridiculously happy. She's coming home on Sunday and we're going gear shopping, then spending some time getting familiar with the bike.

!
she also needs to join are site.

Old September 11th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #35
M42
Wrench wench

Awesome!

Old September 12th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #36
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
let me tell you, girls on little red sport bikes do not scare away the boys....
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #37
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Kinda late to the dance here, but I solved the issue in my case by having BOTH. Love me some EX250 for riding around, but my scooter is the best choice by far for running errands, shopping, etc.

I can't imagine not having both. Tomorrow I run errands and shop. The Elite 110 is the proper tool. Huge under seat storage, plus a 50 liter trunk. It will go 59 mph, and get 95 mpg doing it. And is a complete hoot to blast around on in town. Has fuel injection, linked brakes, and really good lights.

Sunday, the 250 gets a workout, usually around 300-400 miles of high revving madness.